Profile for Axle F. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 70

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Axle F. "The Brutally Honest Critical Reviewer" RSS Feed (California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Corsair Hydro Series Cooling H75 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060015-WW)
Corsair Hydro Series Cooling H75 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060015-WW)
Price: $74.99
44 used & new from $74.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought 2 H75s and had to return them both. Terrible Machining., January 14, 2015
First I want to mention I am an absolute Corsair fanatic, I also have built computers as a hobby for 20+ years and as a living for 15 years now, and this was going to be for mine and my Significant Other's computer. I have 2 of the ALL METAL Corsair C70 Vengeance military style cases (customized the heck out of them and will review those later, bottom line, best computer cases I have ever had), Corsair AX860 and HX850 power supply units (still have an old 500watt Corsair PSU that has been running 24/7 for 8 years now on an old build), as well as the Corsair Dominator performance gaming memory, and these all function beautifully and I have never had a problem with Corsair products before now. Usually their build quality surpasses just about everyone else, but not this time.

I really wanted to upgrade to a closed loop water cooling setup on these two military themed Devil's Canyon computers I'm building, an i5 4690k and an i7 4790k.

Been using air cooled for decades and thought now would be the time to take the plunge into a simple closed loop water cooling system for the processor. (pardon the puns)

Unfortunately it didn't work out. Was going to get an H80i but all the extra software and plugs and proprietary hardware made that a no go, so I got the H75 instead, because I follow the Keep It Simple Stupid, or "K.I.S.S." Method. Yes, I kiss my computers!

I really wanted to like this cooler, especially with the 5 year warranty and all the great reviews on many of the other models.

BUT...

That 5 year warranty had so much legal mumbo-jumbo that pretty much taking the product out of the box and using it voids the warranty, and if it sprays coolant all over my expensive builds at any point in the future, Corsair is not responsible for any damages. Now that is an extreme circumstance, of course, but transitions into the fact that the machining of the copper plate on this water cooler varies greatly and would need user modification to be made right, thus voiding the warranty.

Bought one from Amazon on an account I don't leave reviews on, and bought a second one a few days later for the second computer at a local computer store. The one from Amazon came to a convex point on the actual copper heat sink plate with circular machining marks still obvious on the surface (it was rough enough I could file my nails on it, so at least my nails are beautiful now). On the one bought from the brick and mortar store, the machining marks were all straight lines, but was slightly concave!

Apparently their "Copper Microfin Coldplate" is just buzzwords for, "We don't want to make this a quality product so enjoy the unfinished machine shop roughness."

Now a slight variation (talking under .5mm) is no big deal and the whole point of needing thermal paste/grease to fill in the gaps or uneven surfaces, but doing a straight edge and light bleed test showed these were both not only NOT FLAT but would need a considerable amount of work to be made flat or ten tons of thermal grease which would cause uneven heat transfer, let alone polished to a mirror finish that was advertised on a few review sites. I could actually rock the metal rulers/straight edges side to side on the convex one. To get the copper "coldplate" completely flat, I would have to lap them with sandpaper and polish (slightly over 1mm on both), but again that would have voided the warranty. So I sent them back.

I would have ordered another one but since I got the same item from 2 different places with the same shoddy quality control I decided that closed loop water cooling still isn't up to par for my build quality, at least not from Corsair in this case. Even though the case is Corsair. (See what I did there?)

I then bought a push pull style tower heat sink for $30 that had a mirror polished, completely flat copper plate from the factory that is quieter with my two cheap LED PWM fans and cools better than the average I see with these H75s. So if Corsair is looking for a new Quality Control guy I would be glad to work for them and save their company from releasing poor uniformity products like this in the future.

Pros:

-Great idea to be able to mount in various positions and to allow for freakishly tall RAM heat sinks as well as putting less stress on a Motherboard than a 3 pound slab cooler.

-Looks good.

-The Gray ring can be easily popped off and painted to match Motherboard and case coloring, but according to the warranty it would void said warranty.

-Very easy install compared to most air cooled setups.

-Copper plate makes a great nail file.

Cons:

-Not the same build quality as other Corsair products, feels like some other company made it and just slapped the Corsair logo on the pump. Too many variations for a supposedly quality product.

-The pump adds a new point of failure to my computer, and on the water cooler from the store it was quite noisy, while the pump on the one from Amazon was nearly silent. An air cooled setup the fans are the only failure point and often times the heat sinks are so efficient that even if the fans fail the case airflow can still keep the processor from overheating, with water the fans AND the pump are all failure points. If the pump fails, most people would not know till computer overheats or shuts down, would be nice if Corsair logo would blink or change colors depending on current pump or processor temp status.

-On the H75 bought from the store, there seemed to be a big air bubble in the radiator that would not allow it to be mounted sideways or upside down which could make some installs a bit more tricky.

-Terrible warranty that pretty much absolves Corsair of any and all wrongdoing or terrible quality control including damage from "Normal wear/use". Does not inspire confidence in this Corsair product.

-Should have a bare bones version that is just the closed loop radiator and pump so people can save a bit more money and have more customization options in using their own fans instead of the included ones that are not that great to begin with, the Corsair SP120 fans are much nicer for a radiator (pressure wise) but very expensive and there are plenty of cheaper options that perform just as well.

-Plastic for the 115x mounting bracket has way too many failure points and needs washers from a hardware store to fit properly in some cases and would not stand up to too many removals or if it is tightened too much.

-Maybe I am just a stickler for perfection and have spent too much time in automotive and machine shops, but on two randomly bought H75s, from two different locations, the copper plates were BOTH NOT FLAT! One being slightly concave and the other being convex with straight machining marks on one and circular machining marks on the other. (again good as nail files, not so much as high-end CPU coolers)

-------------------------------------------------
Bottom line:

I cannot recommend the H75 at this time, especially at any price point above $40 because at that price point I would have just fixed the problems myself. The uniformity across multiples of the same product varies too much for me to be very confident about the long lasting build quality. Maybe I just happened to get 2 from the same bad batch and others will work beautifully but odds are not too inspiring for me there, especially for 24/7 computer setups. So I will be sticking to air cooled for now since it works with less problems or possible future problems. I honestly did not expect this kind of disappointment with a Corsair product.

Victorinox Swiss Army Evolution S557 Swiss Army Knife
Victorinox Swiss Army Evolution S557 Swiss Army Knife
Price: $51.56
12 used & new from $49.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not have the fit and finish of older models., December 22, 2014
I am going to be a bit harsh on this review because this knife is seriously lacking the quality control all the others have.

I will compare this directly to a 15+ year old Deluxe Tinker from Victorinox I have used every day.

Size wise it is pretty similar to my old Deluxe Tinker only about 1/4th of an inch shorter length wise and 1/6th or so of an inch thicker side to side because of the extra row of tools.

I got 2 of these Swiss Army Knives (SAK) on another amazon account I don't leave reviews on. I thought it would be nice to give one as a gift and replace my old Deluxe Tinker as well. But there is no way I will gift this to someone when it just does not have the fit and finish my old Deluxe Tinker does.

I have had Victorinox Swiss Army Knives since I was in the Boy Scouts back in the 1980s. I needed a replacement for a Deluxe Tinker SAK that I have had for 15+ years of every day carry and use.

So I saw this Victorinox Swiss Army Evolution S557 Swiss Army Knife, with the file and the slide lock pliers and locking main blade and thought to myself "This will be perfect!"

Pros:

-First off, the locking blade is nice, I really like that feature.

-Most the standard tools are there as well with "somewhat" decent quality.

-I love the idea of the solid torsion spring setup, no more having to replace or bend the scissor or wrench springs anymore, if they stay on track that is.

Cons:

-The picture used here is a bit deceptive, I thought this would have a silver shiny Victorinox shield and a candy red color and even red aluminum grips. Nope... It is standard bright red plastic grips and the Victorinox shield is just a white silkscreen applied paint... So they may want to update that to show the actual product

-The scissors are serrated and not smooth like all the older models, and if I am like most guys the scissors need to be smooth for trimming finger nails and cutting loose threads and opening things, I see absolutely no reason for the scissors to be serrated like they are.

-The pliers are a great idea but they are slightly thinner and just not up to the quality of my old Deluxe Tinkers pliers. I really wanted these pliers to have the same TIGHT TOLERANCE as the ones on my Deluxe Tinker, but they are NOT, and what is worse is that they are not tight enough and the thumb handle on them keeps slipping off the torsion spring because they wobble around so much. Do they not have a Quality Control check anymore?

-There are rough edges with metal burrs on nearly every exposed metal part of this knife.

-They did not polish the (what I am assuming are aluminum) separations between the stainless tool parts. Again more rough edges.

-The nail file is absolutely tiny and useless, it is just a small rectangular space in the middle of where the usual 2nd knife would be.

-The back sides do not sit flush like on the Deluxe Tinker and it leaves a rough edge on both the raised parts where the red plastic is.

-They still have a corkscrew for some weird reason I could never figure out, there has to be a more useful tool they could put in this space, but that is just my opinion. I have yet to find a reason for this as I have never been broken down on the side of the road needing to open a Bottle of booze instead of fixing my car with my Swiss army knife.

-The Phillips head screwdriver and flat screwdriver/bottle opener do not lock in the 90degree position so it makes it a bit hard to get maximum torque. They still lock in at 180, and the flat head one has a pressure lock which is kind of nice.

-The Phillips head screwdriver is nearly impossible to get unfolded without having decently thick nails, I actually tore one of my nails trying to get it unfolded the first time!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottom Line:
The fit and finish of the knife as a whole is TERRIBLE when compared to previous models, it feels like cheap Chinese knock-off junk, yet says "Made in Switzerland" all over it. I do not know if Victorinox is having financial troubles or something, but for a Swiss Army Knife to only get a 2 star and not an automatic 5 star review from me is pretty bad.

I would rather buy two old used and rusty Deluxe Tinkers than this brand new knife. I really wanted to like this but it just turned out to be a sad SAK.

I will be sending both of these back and hope it was just a bad batch or something, but if the next set are this bad then this will go down to a 1 star and I likely will not buy any Victorinox products again.

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Gaming OC 4GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card N760 TF 4GD5/OC

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is a tank! A very quiet and fast tank that is ready for the future!, August 6, 2014
So, after getting burned, literally and figuratively, multiple times by one of "the other big computer graphics card companies." I decided to switch things up and try someone else... That someone else is MSI and they have not disappointed me in any way what-so-ever.

I got this card over 8 months ago because I wanted an upgrade and I was tired of the heat and problems associated with SLi setups, and it has run quiet, and flawlessly, even when I am purposely abusing it. The hottest it has ever reached was 68C under full load graphics stress tests and all manner of benchmarking. This is in a computer that is on 24/7, and even when I force the fans to 100% it is still quieter than an old EVGA 460 at idle.

It handles modified Skyrim and all the new graphically intense games on the market... And this is running on a 6+ year old motherboard and processor. The most on-board memory I have got this thing to use was slightly over 2GB of the available 4GB it has ready, and that was in Skyrim HD with 2k+ texture modifications in the game. It runs Watch_Dogs and GTA IV on full blast ultra with room to spare.

This thing is built like it was meant to be bullet-proof and has a massive heat-sink with heat pipes and even a rigid backing plate on the other side. The fans are also a bit bigger than what is offered on the direct competitors other GTX760s which means they can move more air at lower RPMs meaning less noise, though they are not rear exit exhaust fans so you need to take case air flow into account for best cooling, but that should not be a problem for most people using this in a mid to high end computer case.

The tuning and overclocking options are great, though I see no need to overclock at the moment since there is nothing beyond ultra in the AAA high end games I play and the human eye can't really see a difference above 60fps so no worries for me there.

It does come with MSI afterburner which is a bit more in depth monitor, fan curve, and overclocking utility that is rather easy to use, and even a secondary gaming app that with a single click will allow you to go through 3 different presets. 1. Silent- throttled mode that brings down the clock, voltage, and fan speed for things like movies 2. Gaming mode- that ramps up the core clock a bit over stock and 3. OC mode- that brings the clock, voltage, and fan speed up for those times you really want to go nuts. So it has everyone from the beginner to pro in mind, well, budget minded pro.

--------------------------------------------
Bottom line:

I'll start with the bad: I can't find anything bad to say about this other than the instruction booklet was badly spell checked or translated from another language... Seriously, that is all I can think of.

Now for the good: I am genuinely impressed with the build quality of this card when compared to the others on the market around the same price range. The cooling radiators, heat-pipes, and heat-sinks look like a chromed V8 engine and are all properly seated and attached. The red and black color combination looks great in my new military styled, all steel, black Corsair Vengeance C-70 Case. The card comes with the backing plate already installed at no extra cost that helps with cooling as well as making sure vibrations and flex are kept to a minimum (a few of the other companies that sell the GTX 760 cards want to charge extra for the backing plate or do not have or offer one at all!). The 4GB on-board memory is amazing and will not likely be fully utilized for a few years unless you are running some crazy 4K Ultra High Definition Setup or two monitors with two separate games at once (I told you I abuse it), so this card is great for decent future-proofing, meaning you will not have to buy a new card for a while just to keep up... Here is another fun fact: If you wanted to run this in SLi (two of the same card at the same time) it would actually out-perform a GTX TITAN at nearly half the cost! Did I mention it is quiet? I cannot distinguish it from the idle 120mm case fans I have even when it is under load and cranking up fan speed.

As a customer I am thoroughly impressed and happy with my purchase. As a builder of custom computers for my business as well, I am also impressed.

While other companies seem to be cutting corners and cutting costs and having poorer quality control; MSI is taking the extra step to put out a quality product.

Henschel Safari Hat, Black, X-Large
Henschel Safari Hat, Black, X-Large
Price: $51.75
9 used & new from $51.75

5.0 out of 5 stars FInally a leather Fedora that isn't a cowboy hat!, January 23, 2014
I cannot say how many years I have spent looking for a leather fedora that doesn't scream "cowboy."

Then to find one in black and "Made in America" out of cowhide leather for under $100, I bought it in a split second!

I am 6'4" tall and have a big German head and thick hair, and the XL fits slightly tight at first, but after a day of wearing it had already formed perfectly to that big noggin of mine.

At first I thought it would be hotter than wearing my usual black wool fedora from the 1940s but being unlined and having those four little vent holes in it make all the difference and it is cooler than the old wool fedora. The brim is slightly under 2 1/2inches so not too big and not to small. And being black leather it will go beautifully with just about any leather or coat combination along with being cowhide meaning it will only get better with age.

Now if I could only find a black leather 2inch snap brim fedora, I can die happy.

Leather Trench Coat - Xl
Leather Trench Coat - Xl

5.0 out of 5 stars A truely unique coat., January 23, 2014
A friend of mine has a scrap leather trench coat like this he absolutely loves and I thought it was rather neat. Called it frankencoat... He has had it for over 5 years and wears it almost all the time, especially in the rain. I already have an old scrap leather bomber jacket that has held up amazingly well for over 10 years now, so I thought I'd get this trench coat since I love it, and other people complement me all the time on my patchwork bomber jacket.

I love leather items, I love not spending a lot of money, and I love anything that is unique and stands out. This coat fits all three.

First: It is made out of REAL LEATHER so guess what? IT will SMELL like real leather. Big surprise there huh? I love all the reviews here complaining about a leather trench coat smelling like leather. If you don't like the leather smell don't buy leather products.

Second: You are getting a real leather coat for cheaper than the price of a sub-par vinyl or polyester coat. So a new, real leather, trench coat in the $40-$65 range is absolutely an amazing deal! But again, remember the price range, you are not buying Armani here.

Third: this is a very UNIQUE trench coat. I'm a tall guy 6"4" and it fits beautifully in XL on me. It is made of scrap leather patches sewn together to form the whole coat, lambskin in this case. It is very soft and supple, and actually a lighter weight than my $250+ regular lambskin leather coat/duster. I also love the more modern cut of this coat as it doesn't have flaps, splits, or "capes" like many others do. Because it is made of scrap leather pieces it means there will never be two of the same coat.

My only real gripe about it is that I had to tighten up the buttons so they weren't so floppy, took all of 5 minutes with very basic sewing knowledge. They looked fine the way there were, but I'm a stickler for fit and finish. I also ditched the belt and cut off the belt loops because who uses the belt on these anymore?

The coat came in a plastic mailing bag and was inside a sealed plastic bag itself with large lengths of tissue paper separating it wherever it was folded. I inspected every inch of it and found no tears or rips, so I popped off the tags and wore it out right then. Went out to get food at a local mom and pop burger restaurant and had 2 different people compliment me on the coat and how "cool" it looked. I'd say that all makes it a 5 star coat.

Ultimate Arms Gear Tactical Black Adjustable Tornado Drop Leg Beretta 92, 96, PX4 Pistol/Gun w/ Light Or Laser Holster + Magazine Pouch
Offered by USA DEFENDER
Price: $22.95
5 used & new from $17.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I would not trust my life to this holster, but otherwise it is okay., December 5, 2013
Great for when you just need something to carry a full size pistol with an attached light, a hike in the woods or around a large property or such, but I would in no way endorse this as a tactical holster for wartime or police use or where a split second counts.

Works great with a "REAL" Beretta 92A1/M9A1/96A1 with under-barrel Streamlight, and a "REAL" double-stacked 1911 with under-barrel surefire light.

The leg straps are lined with rubber and very secure, and the Velcro is of a decent duty strength. This is in no way a "quick draw" holster.

Bottom line: In all honesty this is more of the quality for costume dress up or toy airsoft or BB gun use but is cpable of holding a full size real pistol with lights or lasers under the barrel.

California Exotics Whisper Micro-Heated Bullet, Black
California Exotics Whisper Micro-Heated Bullet, Black
Offered by HealthTime
Price: $8.75
31 used & new from $3.78

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of power in a very tiny package., December 5, 2013
I don't know about the heat part but if you need something intensely small to stick into tight spaces, this sucker is the go-to device.

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Cleaner
Meguiar's Deep Crystal Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing for antique cars without modern clearcoats., December 5, 2013
Has been replaced by Meguiar's "Ultimate Compound."

This stuff is amazing for older cars from the times before clear coat paint jobs, and works better than clay bars on clear coats.

I use it in my professional auto detailing business for cars with thin/thinning paint that need to be done entirely by hand and it is amazing at how well this stuff removes oxidation, fallout, water spots, and other surface damage while remaining gentle on antique paint finishes.

Norpro 330 Heavy Duty Adjustable Cheese Slicer
Norpro 330 Heavy Duty Adjustable Cheese Slicer
Offered by Kitchen Outfitters Inc.
Price: $8.87
20 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Who cut the cheese?!? I did!, December 5, 2013
I was skeptical about this under $15 metal cheese slicer as I never had any luck with the over $9 plastic ones sold at stores.

Been using this almost every day for about half a year now and it works with soft cheese and hard cheese alike. I love that is is adjustable too and easy to clean (wash by hand only)... It even comes with a spare wire, and I doubt I will ever need to replace the wire with how well this slicer is holding up.

Since the wire is at the edge instead of in the middle, it takes a little getting used to, but once I got the technique down I absolutely love the amount of control I have with slice size.

Bottom line: If you like to cut the cheese, and are tired of hearing "sproing!" from flimsy cheese cutter wires always breaking, get this, it will survive the apocalypse.

*OVER A YEAR UPDATE* Have had this for over a year now and still works beautifully! Use it almost every day and still has the original slicer cable on it, have not even had to change for the spare yet. A quick hand cleaning and it still looks brand new.

UTG Synthetic Clamp-on Bi-pod
UTG Synthetic Clamp-on Bi-pod
Price: $13.67
6 used & new from $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and pass on this., December 5, 2013
Broke before I could even use it.

Bic pens have a better spring than the one used to make this "clamp."

Constructed of cheap and brittle plastic, will not hold the weight of a real gun (under 8 pound mini-30) and I would not even recommend it for toy guns like air soft or BB.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7