Profile for Example: Mark Twain > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Example: Mark Twain RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Benchmark by Viribright LED 18W BR40 - A Lamp Standard Medium Base Dimmable Daylight White 6000K, 1000 Lumens
Price: $35.14
3 used & new from $24.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light - poor lifetime - watch for price changes, August 17, 2014
November 2013 – I replaced all 6 of my C. Crane 540 lumen/10.4W Cool White LED BR40 bulbs in the kitchen with these Benchmark Viribright 1000 lumen / 18W Daylight White 6000K bulbs. I bought these primarily because they were the brightest BR40 LED bulbs, with a reasonable price at $23.66. The C. Crane had a narrower light cone creating a slight spotlight effect. The Benchmark Viribright spreads double the lumens over a larger cone angle so the power density per solid angle isn’t really higher, but I prefer the broad angular distribution.

June of 2014 – I saw that the price of the “Warm White” Benchmark Viribright BR40 bulb was dropped to $13.82. Considering how happy I was the kitchen bulbs, and the great price, I bought 22. I saw Amazon had 8 more, so I bought the last 8. I used these bulbs to replace the incandescent BR40 bulbs in my bedroom and bedroom hallway areas. The bulbs are brighter than the old 60W incandescent but the warm color keeps a relaxed feel in the bedrooms.

August 2014 – 2 of the 6 bulbs in the kitchen failed, down to little flickers of light. The Benchmark Viribright price had increased to $35.14 for Daylight White. This is far too much to pay for a bulb with 2 out of 6 chance of failing in the first year. At $13.82 I would have bought a couple new ones. Instead, I went back to my original $20 BR40s from C. Crane. I’ve had 14 of these in the house since November 2013 and none have failed.

The real takeaway message here is that when you read a rave review on Amazon you need to associate that review with a price point. When they triple the price then a strong recommendation for purchase can change to a recommendation against purchase.

Remington MB4040 Lithium Ion Powered Men's Rechargeable Mustache Beard and Stubble Trimmer
Price: $29.99
8 used & new from $28.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn upside-down for an "unshaven" stubble shave, November 9, 2013
I only shave once per week, so I don't bother to aim for a clean shave because that would be rough on my skin, and because I like the unshaven look. You can remove the adjustable plastic guard to get a clean shave, but I only do that for small spots. This is definitely not a clean-shave tool. The plastic guard can be set for ten different cutting lengths, "1" being the shortest. I always use setting "1" and found that it didn't cut short enough to look like an unshaven shave. It looked more like a very tightly trimmed beard. I was unhappy with that but kept it because it has great battery life and mechanical reliability. I recharge once a month and could probably go longer between charges. By chance I discovered that on setting "1" I can turn the shaver upside-down and it gives me a significantly closer shave, leaving me with stubble only. This is exactly what I wanted.

Wesco Pet Ole Bird Kabob Shreddable Bird Toy
Wesco Pet Ole Bird Kabob Shreddable Bird Toy
Price: $6.00
7 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Parakeet's favorite toy - appeals to instincts of nesting, destruction, pecking, and general mess-making, November 9, 2013
I've bought nearly all of the parakeet toys on Amazon, and this is by far the best. Parakeets want to peck and destroy by instinct, and all of these toys are great because they're a bit softer and easier to destroy than your household objects. They give your parakeets a tasty target in their own cage. What's different about this toy is that it appeals to the parakeet's nest building instinct. The toy is just a piece of large-diameter bamboo with a hard exterior and soft chewable interior. The round holes that you see in the photo have been drilled out to give the parakeets a chance to get at the soft interior. Once they start pecking away at the interior, they have to start crawling inside to dig further. It gives them the feel that they are building a nest instead of just destroying something. The females in particular just can't stop until the bamboo shell has been completely hollowed out, which unfortunately for them leaves no potential nest. This is a great treat that will keep them fully occupied for a few days.

Cables Unlimited 15-Feet HDMI Male to Male Cable
Cables Unlimited 15-Feet HDMI Male to Male Cable
Offered by Amamax (USA Seller)
Price: $5.59
11 used & new from $2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars 15 foot length = freedom to rearrange your entertainment system, November 9, 2013
I have an entertainment system with the lot of separate gaming and video systems all feeding into a central receiver / amplifier that drives the screen and speaker system. With the standard short cables, all the components would need to be stacked on/under/inside one table or cabinet. The 15 foot HDMI cables give me the freedom to spread everything out, and to change my mind later and move it all around.

And, the cables work great.

Philips 423756 14.5-Watt (75-Watt) BR40 LED Indoor Flood Light Bulb, Dimmable
Philips 423756 14.5-Watt (75-Watt) BR40 LED Indoor Flood Light Bulb, Dimmable
Price: $41.96
5 used & new from $41.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect match to bulb shape and light color of Philips 60W incandescent, November 9, 2013
My house has all BR40 floodlight fixtures instead of regular size light bulb fixtures. I’ve always used the Philips 60W incandescent bulbs but decided to replace everything with LED bulbs. I ordered 3 different bulbs to compare:
1. Crane Power Vivid. I like this one and just ordered another dozen to see how a room full of them looks. The color of the light is a cool white compared to the conventional incandescent warm yellow. I think that I like this better, particularly for the kitchen, office, etc. I might lean toward a warmer yellow for the bedrooms, but then again I might get used to the new color of light and come to prefer it. The Crane LED light is certainly closer to a natural outdoor sunlight.
2. Philips. This is a near perfect replica of an incandescent bulb both in light color and appearance of the bulb. This is the low-risk option for people that don’t like surprises. Philips has clearly put a lot of effort into engineering a perfect match to the legacy bulb.
3. Kobi Electric. Although sold as a BR40 bulb, this did not fit the standard BR40 fixture because it has metal heat sink fins that don’t taper down as fast toward the stem as the conventional BR40 bulbs. It got stuck before I could screw it all the way into the socket. I’m glad that I experimented with just a few bulbs before buying in bulk.

C. Crane Power Vivid® BR40 LED Light Bulb (Cool White)
C. Crane Power Vivid® BR40 LED Light Bulb (Cool White)
Offered by C. Crane
Price: $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits BR40 fixture perfectly - cool bright white light, November 6, 2013
My house has all BR40 floodlight fixtures instead of regular size light bulb fixtures. I've always used the Philips 60W incandescent bulbs but decided to replace everything with LED bulbs. I ordered 3 different bulbs to compare:
1. This one, the C. Crane Power Vivid. I like this one and just ordered another dozen to see how a room full of them looks. The color of the light is a cool white compared to the conventional incandescent warm yellow. I think that I like this better, particularly for the kitchen, office, etc. I might lean toward a warmer yellow for the bedrooms, but then again I might get used to the new color of light and come to prefer it. The Crane LED light is certainly closer to a natural outdoor sunlight.
2. Philips. This is a near perfect replica of an incandescent bulb both in light color and appearance of the bulb. This is the low-risk option for people that don't like surprises.
3. Kobi Electric. Although sold as a BR40 bulb, this did not fit the standard BR40 fixture because it has metal heat sink fins that don't taper down as fast toward the stem as the conventional BR40 bulbs. It got stuck before I could screw it all the way into the socket. I'm glad that I experimented with just a few bulbs before buying in bulk.

I'll update this in a week when all six bulbs in my kitchen have been replaced with the Crane LED bulbs.

UPDATE - I replaced 6 light in my kitchen. I think it's fine, still rating 5 stars, but my wife thinks they don't give off at much light as the old 60W incandescent Phillips, so next I'll try a Sylvania LED BR40 that gives off a little more light. I think people have an expectation that daylight-colored bulbs should be brighter because daylight is bright, but they're willing to accept a dim yellow bulb because that's familiar. The product description said these may be too bright for 8 foot ceilings, but I wouldn't be worried about that (I have 9 foot ceilings).

FYI - The product description makes it seem like this is a C. Crane branded bulb. It is not; C. Crane is only the retailer. The bulb is actually manufactured by GlacialLight and you can read about it on their web site. The web site is full of detailed technical data that tells me these are excellent quality bulbs.

KOBI ELECTRIC LED 14-watt (85 watt) R40 BR40 Warm White Light Bulb, Dimmable
KOBI ELECTRIC LED 14-watt (85 watt) R40 BR40 Warm White Light Bulb, Dimmable
Offered by WAD Enterprises, LLC
Price: $20.99
7 used & new from $20.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit a standard BR40 socket, November 4, 2013
My house has entirely BR40 floodlights instead of regular size bulbs. I plan to replace them all with LED bulbs, but first ordered a few different brands to see which I like. The first to arrive were the Philips, which is great, and the Kobi which does not fit the BR40 socket. In the photo you can see the ribs of the metal heat sink. These don't taper down as quickly as the standard BR40 shape, so the bulb gets stuck in the socket before you can screw it all the way in. Once jammed into the socket, I was worried I'd never get it out. Next to arrive the the C. Crane Power Vivid, which is also the cheapest. I'll let you know whether that one fits.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 9:40 AM PDT

Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 12-pair, By Sewell Direct
Price: $26.95
14 used & new from $24.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than raw wires, October 30, 2013
I just bought a new surround sound system and a huge spool of speaker wire. Both the amplifier and speakers could take the raw wire with the insulation stripped off, but I decided to make extra nice cables by adding these banana plugs onto the stripped wire. Attaching the banana plugs is simple, actually easier than attaching raw wires to the amplifier and speakers. Then, the cables plug right in with no need to even look carefully. The real payoff came when I had to move everything around. Unplugging, moving the speakers, and replugging is a snap. Definitely worth a little one-time cost.

Alavert Od Tab, Fresh Mint Flavor,  48+12 (Bonus 60)-Count Box
Alavert Od Tab, Fresh Mint Flavor, 48+12 (Bonus 60)-Count Box
Price: $18.22
17 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You can order this as a "subscribe and save" item, October 30, 2013
My kid's allergy doctor wants him to take one of these tablets per day, probably for years. I ordered it on "subscription" so I save 15% and get one box delivered every other month. With 60 tablets per box, it's a perfect match to the delivery schedule. And, I don't have to remember to place an order (or run out to the store) every time I run low.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4