Profile for CL Hsieh > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

CL Hsieh "ptube" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World W ar II
by Larry Alexander
Price: $18.78
161 used & new from $4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story on code of conduct, April 2, 2013
"From his turret, Blackie looked in shock at the 109 pilot. A minute before Blackie had prepared to die, expecting the 109 pilot to shoot him from the sky after disappearing behind the tail. But the pilot had never fired. Now, instead, the German fighter pilot flew formation with the American bomber. Blackie abandoned his efforts to clear his guns. Instead, he folded his hands. "What are you waiting for?" Blackie said quietly as the German's eyes met his.

The Franz Stigler who went to Africa to avenge his brother's death would have had an answer. He would destroyed the bomber and killed its crew. But there, in the desert, and over ancient Sicily, the last of Europe's Knights had taught Franz Stigler a new code. The code said to fight with fearlessness and to restraint, to celebrate victories not death, and to know when it was time to answer a higher call." (Page 202)

As a man grew up near an air force base (i.e., China Air force in Taiwan) in a pilot family, I enjoy the book immensely. Even at retiring age, I still learn a lot from the characters in this true story:

To prevail, especially in situations with risk and uncertainty (being that in a combat mission or on Wall Street), one needs to:
* be proficient in his/her 'trade';
* have the odds on his/her side;
* accumulate experiences;
* handle life's wins and losses sanely; and
* having a touch of grace from 'above.'
To prevail with dignity, pride, and with a thankful heart (while looking back), one must always observe his/her code of conduct.

This is a great story for all risk takers (aren't we all in life) in generations to come.

Steamfast SF-435 Compact Fabric Steamer
Steamfast SF-435 Compact Fabric Steamer
Price: $19.99
24 used & new from $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Alright... for a short time, January 20, 2013
I bought one of these a couple years ago and it worked fine for a little while. the water containers not th ebest design and it started sputtering right off the bat. It's definitely not something that you would be able to use at many angles.. again because the water container only holds the water in a certain position, you would only be abl eto hold it very upright in order to steam anything.

Mine also started leaking out the base. I don't know when it happened, but at first I attributed it to all the sputtering that was coming out of the spout.

After a year or so it just stopped working. the light would turn on, but nothing would heat up. It wasn't until then that I actually realized that water was leaking through the base (because there's no way it could be the sputter if theres no steam coming out right?)

It's a cheap quick fix, but definitely not something I would buy again.

Archangels: Rise of the Jesuits
Archangels: Rise of the Jesuits
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars the mystery of this mystery novel, November 11, 2012
The mystery of this mystery novel is: whether Tavakoli is simply having fun in crafting a fiction; or is she got some valuable insight - by private information, by her keen analysis, or both. Recall she was one of the very few who had timely and accurately called the sub-prime crisis before the facts got unwrapping to public.

CAP Barbell 40-pound Adjustable Dumbbell Set with Case
CAP Barbell 40-pound Adjustable Dumbbell Set with Case
Price: $49.99
27 used & new from $49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It DOES smell, January 6, 2012
I picked these up hoping that the reviews about smell were just exaggerations. They are not. These smell heavily of a car mechanic's shop. Gasoline, kerosene, burning rubber? It's one of those. If you smell it for long enough, you will get used to it and not notice it, but do you really want to be breathing burnt rubber?

So far I have tried to remove the smell w/ dishwasher soap - no effect
I left everything on the radiator overnight in the hopes that I could smell will evaporate off. At the expense of my apartment absolutely REEKING for the day, the smell does appear to be less. Still very noticeable however. I may just try baking them at a low temperature (prevent oxidation of the iron) to get rid of these fumes.

I think if you live in a hotter environment, leaving these in the sun for a couple days will actually help get rid of the smell.

All that said, these were the cheapest set of "adjustable" weights I could get. They are fairly well constructed. The box arrived in tact. The rubber stoppers on the weights prevent clanging and it looks like they will be able to hold larger weights once I outgrow these.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2012 11:10 AM PST

Ledu L283MB Computer task lamp, fluorescent, convertible clamp-on/desktop, 30 reach, black
Price: $42.99
37 used & new from $26.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality lamp, had it for >1yr, works great, November 4, 2010
I looked over some of the reviews saying that this lamp sags or that it broke after a while, and while those claims may be valid, I don't think they give the lamp enough credit. If you find a position that you like and leave it there, it is awesome.

I bought this lamp over a year ago, and it has worked great.

you can prop it up one of 2 ways, either insert it into a clamp that clamps on to the edge of your table, or place it in a base (as shown in the picture).

When it was inserted into the clamp, I did note that it sagged a little bit, but it still worked fine. I now have it resting in the base, and the lamp is standing on its own a little less than 2 feet above the surface of my desk. It brilliantly illuminated my entire desk (about 4' wide by 2.5' deep)

I reaaaally like the tone of this light. It doesn't feel like a fluorescent light, or a halogen light, but it's definitely as bright as one. Honestly, the only drawback is that sometimes i'll turn it on during the late afternoon when it's a bit darker to get some extra light, and i'll leave it on accidentally because i think the light in the room is sunlight.

SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Black)
SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Black)
Offered by olympiabros
Price: $60.99
39 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for certain types of audio, November 2, 2010
It's cheaper than an ipod, and gets the job done effectively and efficiently.

Ideal Use:
I use this to listen to audio lectures/audio books and mp3s

Useful features:
It syncs up very easily with windows media player 12 (additional software is unnecessary, plug-and-play works fine)
It's small (about the size of one of those free oral-b dental floss things you get from the dentist) and has a clip that I use to clip to my jeans
AUTO-BOOKMARK <-- this has saved me loads of hassle. I used to have to fast forward back to the place I stopped. When audio files are 50 minutes long, the auto-bookmark is CRUCIAL
Shuts off after a few minutes in idle so batteries are saved.

- i haven't used the radio or voice recorder so can't comment on those

Dislikes:
headphones could be better, but I bought a separate set of headphones before getting this, so I was not too upset.

Berol by Eberhard Faber Highlighters, Green, Box Of 12
Berol by Eberhard Faber Highlighters, Green, Box Of 12
Price: $6.22
28 used & new from $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars good highlighter in a bad shell, November 2, 2010
This highlighter does everything a good highlighter should. You will see your highlighted text, and it lasts pretty long.

mild flaws:
1. tip is made of felt-like material. As such, after a while, the felt starts to spread out/deform.
2. cap does not "click" or stay on the back end of the highlighter. But, I get by fine by setting the cap on its tip and using it as stand for the highlighter when I'm not using it. it stands nicely and doesn't tip over too easily.

more annoying flaws:
1. when first using it, the tip tends to be leaky towards the end of the highlighted line. On less absorbent paper, there is often a little bit of marker "juice" left over. While it does dry fairly quickly, it either tends to smudge, or leave a the end of the highlighted line a bit darker. That said, I didn't really notice this until I compared it side by side with a Sharpie highlighter (which I think has a much better design).
2.when shutting the cap, the cap is really tight. I suppose this helps prevent evaporation of the ink, but it makes the cap a pain to get off sometimes. I inevitably have to open the cap with 2 hands and with extreme caution, or else, I accidentally highlight my fingers. It gets annoying after about the 5th time.

Grand Trunk Portable Chopsticks
Grand Trunk Portable Chopsticks
Price: $19.99
9 used & new from $19.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product w/ minor flaws, October 12, 2010
These were just what I was looking for.

What I like:
- Love the carrying case - the carabiner was a great idea
- Screw in pieces make the chopsticks very stable, not flimsy
- Wood is a nice dark color, great overall aesthetics
- wooden tips store neatly in the stainless steel end pieces.

What I think could be better:
- The assembly is a bit cumbersome, but I guess that's what you ask for with travel chopsticks. The end caps are small and thus, I imagine, might be easy to lose while you are screwing in the wooden pieces.
- After multiple uses, the bronze trimming in the middle of the chopstick looks as if it is tarnishing a bit.

Lange Pharmacology Flash Cards
Lange Pharmacology Flash Cards
by Suzanne Baron
Edition: Cards
34 used & new from $7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Organized, but not completely comprehensive, October 12, 2010
Disclaimer: I have only used these cards for learning anti-microbial agents so far

What I like:
- Each card has a clinical case on the back to put things in context
- Cards are well organized into "mechanism of action", "Clinical Uses", "Side Effects", and "Other".
- Overview cards organize drugs into classes. For example, Antibacterial Agents are separated into "beta lactams, protein synthesis inhibitors, antimycobacterial, and other antibacterial.

What I don't like:
- The cards often seem to be missing key elements that I have had to look up in other sources and write onto my cards. For example, there is no mention that aminoglycosides are not absorbed orally and must be given by IV. This kind of missing information has happened a couple times, but not too often, so I am content to write it in on my own...better for learning anyways...
- At times, I found that the cards were too wordy. For example, why say "macrolides are effective against gram-positive cocci" when you can just say "gram-positive cocci" and get the same message across? Isn't that the point of flash cards?
- I would have preferred thicker cards...these are slightly flimsy.

On the whole, pretty decent, althought I don't have a different set of cards to compare to.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 10:54 PM PST

Sentry HO150 H3 - Studio Style In-Ear Buds
Sentry HO150 H3 - Studio Style In-Ear Buds
Offered by lakeplacegames
2 used & new from $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars for $10...ehh..., September 21, 2010
I figured I'd give these earbuds a shot...for $10, I wasn't losing that much, and the previous reviews weren't bad. Every now and then I like to give the no-name brand a shot since they sometimes do pack surprises. These buds aren't bad, but they won't knock your socks off.

I've been to best buy and had the chance to try out the many different headphones/earbuds they offer. The best ones I had the chance to try were probably either bose noise cancellers or these over ear headphones called skull crushers. Comfortable, Crisp, and quiet (with regards to outside noise, of course)...but oh so expensive!

So how do these earbuds compare? The first thing you notice is the somewhat eccentric design. I had hoped that weird plastic edge sticking out of the buds might house some incredible in ear subwoofer...that is not the case. It doesn't really add anything to the earbud, but it doesn't get in the way either.

2nd thing I noticed: the earbuds come with 3 adjustable sizes. This is convenient...and it would be even more convenient if they were scaled linearly. Instead they come in what seems like Tiny, Small and Jumbo. But maybe those are where most peoples' ear sizes are...I dunno. Small fit in my ears fine.

Finally, the sound quality. I was a bit disappointed with the sound quality. At first, it sounded quite muffled to me. I thought that odd, so I compared it to some 25$ Sennheiser over-ear headphones that I have...and indeed these earbuds did have a muffled tone to them. Bass was decent though.

In summary, if you need headphones fast (Amazon prime fast), don't want to pay the higher prices of stores, and don't want to wait for better deals that appear on sites like dealnews, thenn...these are not a bad bet.

EDIT: one of the buds has since broke on its own in the <2 months i've owned these. The defect seems to be cause by poor glue or something between the earbud and its housing. So that the earbud is easily opened up. I've lowered my rating to 2 stars for this reason.

Page: 1 | 2