Profile for C. Humble > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Humble RSS Feed (Portland, OR)

Page: 1 | 2
Breville BOV650XL Compact Smart Oven 1800-Watt Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Breville BOV650XL Compact Smart Oven 1800-Watt Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Price: $179.95
27 used & new from $160.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time's the charm, January 14, 2014
We bought this Compact Smart Toaster Oven to replace the more expensive top-of-the-line Breville which just quit on us one day. The display just went blank. Breville offered to replace it with a factory refurbished model, but only if I had my original receipt. Since it was more than two years old, I didn't have it.

Initially, we weren't going to get another Breville since the first one broke after about two years. It also took up a lot of space on our countertop. But, when we started to shop around, we discovered that there wasn't really much on the higher end. A friend had a Cuisinart, but we couldn't find the model anywhere. Then, I stumbled across the Breville compact. We have other Breville products and have always considered them high quality. The price was right and it was smaller than the old one.

We bought right before Christmas and it arrived in two days! While not quite as sophisticated as the previous model and without a convection feature, we actually like the new one better, mostly because it's a lot smaller. It works super well and maybe it will last longer given the fact that it's not as complex. He had become quite dependent on our old one for small jobs like baked potatoes. The Compact oven seems to do all of those as well if not better than the old oven. And, the new one seems easier to keep clean.

So far, we're glad we stuck with Breville. And, because we bought on Amazon, we will never have to worry about the receipt should something go wrong. For a basic, but really nice toaster oven that's certainly big enough for two people, this was a very good choice.

Mission Belt Men's Brushed Stainless Steel and Black Leather Ratchet Belt - Small - Alloy
Offered by Mission Belt Co
Price: $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars False start, but Mission support made it right, January 14, 2014
I bought one of these belts after learning about it on Shark Tank. The first belt I received, however, had a defective fastening mechanism in the buckle. I contacted Mission Belt online and explained the problem. They asked me to send photos and my order number. I received a replacement within a week and am very happy.

Once I received the replacement, it was clear to me that the first buckle was defective. The closure mechanism was working properly and wouldn't keep the belt in the proper notch. The new one works perfectly. I ordered a larger size just in case since you can cut it to fit you perfectly. The belt is made of high quality materials, it's comfortable and you have the added advantage of being able to customize it to your waist. I'd highly recommend this belt and plan to buy another one.

AmazonBasics Clear Cover Case  with Screen Protector  for iPhone 5 (White Rim)
AmazonBasics Clear Cover Case with Screen Protector for iPhone 5 (White Rim)
Price: $2.68

2.0 out of 5 stars This case stains easily, January 31, 2013
I got this case because it's very minimal and in. I generally prefer bumpers over full-blown cases. However, I would not recommend this case, at least in white. Mine began turning blue from putting it into my jeans pocket numerous times during the day. It looked great when it was new, but the staining ruined it, so I've gone back to a case I was using before I bought this one.

Edwin Jagger Double Edge (DE) Safety Razor - Lined Chrome Handle
Edwin Jagger Double Edge (DE) Safety Razor - Lined Chrome Handle
Offered by Corydor
Price: $34.99
3 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The transition to DE shaving, January 22, 2012
Over the past six months, I've gone from a Braun electric razor to Gillette Fusion and finally to double edge shaving. I bought the Edwin Jagger razor from Amazon after trying a Merkur Futur and just about giving up on the whole idea. For 2-3 months, I gravitated back and forth between the Fusion and the Merkur and then finally to the Edwin Jagger. The Edwin Jagger just works much better for me than the Merkur. I at first thought an adjustable razor would be better, but after being cut numerous times by the Merkur, I realized that the EJ was a much better choice. I've rarely been cut by it and after a lot of practice, I'm getting some great shaves.

Not only do I get a great shave with this razor, but I'm also doing a good turn for the environment. No more expensive plastic cartridges to dispose of. Using double edge blades (I actually like the Merkur blades) will also save me a bunch of money. Shaving with a DE razor is definitely an art. It takes practice and education. I've read a bunch of articles about how to get the best shave and I'm finally getting pretty good at it. I get a very close shave in about the same amount of time and I always feel so great after wards.

The only thing I don't like about the EJ is the short handle. I've gotten used to it, but would rather have a slightly longer handle. The EJ is maneuverable and gets into the tight areas where the Merkur is bigger, heavier and bulkier and was harder to use. The angle of the blade seems to be perfect. I never knew what number to use on the Merkur and paid the price fo the experimentation.

My advice to anyone considering switching to a DE razor is to read as much as you can abut it, take it slow, don't get discouraged and take it slow. In the end -- and it make take awhile -- you'll be glad you made the switch from either electric or cartridge shaving.

Sony BDP-BX57 Blu-ray Disc Player, 3D-ready with built-in WI-FI
Sony BDP-BX57 Blu-ray Disc Player, 3D-ready with built-in WI-FI
5 used & new from $80.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Internet connectivity, September 8, 2010
I bought this DVD player to replace an older Sony Blu Ray player that seemed overly finicky. Since this has built-in wireless, it seemed like a good idea. Now, I believe I'll be taking it back tomorrow.

While the setup was easy and fast, it never did download the photo apps. I also have a Sony Bravia TV and connected it to the Internet using an Ethernet cable. It did download the video apps, so I'm left wondering why I bought this DVD player if it doesn't offer all of the connectivity that's supposed to come with the system. Just getting a better DVD play won't be worth it.

I got on a chat session with a Sony analyst, but she was of no help. She couldn't even relate to my problem, so I wouldn't put much faith in Sony's ability to support the product if you have problems. While the advantage of going all Sony seemed to make sense, I'm now thinking I will try another brand, either Panasonic or Samsung.

That's kind of the problem with complex consumer electronics today. If they don't work the way they're supposed to, there's very little recourse in getting them to work correctly.

I wouldn't get this DVD player because when it doesn't work as advertised you're going to be stuck. If you do, make sure you buy it from a retailer where there will be no question when you bring it back.

Trion:Z Wrist Bracelet
Trion:Z Wrist Bracelet
Price: $8.85 - $23.38

5.0 out of 5 stars I was skeptical, June 5, 2010
This review is from: Trion:Z Wrist Bracelet (Misc.)
I had tweaked my wrist somehow and it was aching all the way up my arm for weeks. I'd tried Aleve and everything short of going to the doctor when I learned of Trionz. So, I figured, heck, for $20 it's worth a try. I bought the double lite version with the rubber bands. I wear it on my right wrist even though it's my left wrist that is bothering me. Within a week, the pain went away and it was fine for several weeks. Then, I stopped wearing the bracelet and within a week, I tweaked it again and the pain returned.

So, I started wearing the Trionz again and again within a few days, the pain is gone. I was skeptical and still wonder if it wasn't just natural healing going on, but I can't argue with success. I never take it off and ordered another one in a different color. Do I feel better overall? Hard to tell, but my running has been better and some of the little aches and pains I used to experience that caused me to only run 3 days a week aren't as bothersome and I now run 5 days a week.

All I can say is that this is apparently working for me. It seems to have solved a problem. Next time I go to my doctor, I'm going to mention this to him. I had an appointment scheduled and canceled it because my wrist felt so much better.

I would certainly recommend it at least for a try based on my experience.

Ouverture Magnum Red Wine Glass (Set of 8)
Ouverture Magnum Red Wine Glass (Set of 8)
Offered by Etailz
Price: $59.95
19 used & new from $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect glasses for everyday use, March 3, 2010
These are great wine glasses for everyday use. I was looking for a glass with a larger bowl, but that wasn't too big. I also didn't want a super tall glass because they can be awkward and are easier to tip over.

I love the short stem on these glasses because they are comfortable to hold. They just fit my hand and feel perfect. The bowls are big enough, but not too big. I also find that they work fine for both red and white wines. The quality is excellent and the value is superb.

I would highly recommend a set of these glasses.

Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic  Shaver
Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver
Offered by All in One Tech
Price: $223.84
9 used & new from $223.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Was skeptical, but am impressed, March 3, 2010
I've been a blade shaver for more than 20 years. Years ago, I dabled with a couple of electric shavers, but never felt I really got a close shave with them. With blades becoming so expensive, I decided I'd try it again and I'm glad I did.

I've had this shaver for about a week now and it seems to get a little better every day. The shave is fast, close and with no irritation. I don't think I get as close a shave as I did with a blade, but the reality is you don't need that close a shave to have a close shave. The longer I've used the Braun, the closer the shave has gotten. And, the convenience far outweighs the fact that it's not quite as close as a blade. It's certainly more than good enough.

It's hard to find anything about it that I don't like. It is a bit bulky and takes up room on the counter, but that's pretty minor compared to what I'm getting out of it. The cleaning solution and cleaning cycle is straightforward though I've yet to change the cleaning solution.

I'm very glad I tried the Braun and so far I'm impressed with its convenience, ease of use and the results I'm getting.

American Standard 1660.717.002 Flowise 3 Function Water-Saving Showerhead, Chrome
Price: $33.64
21 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations, December 28, 2009
I had pretty much quit using water conserving shower heads because they just didn't deliver. You always felt like you were somehow sacrificing a great shower for using less water. We've now had the American Standard FloWise3 installed for a couple of weeks and are very pleased. The three different positions provide distinctive different experiences. And, you wouldn't know that it is a water conserving shower head. We don't have terrific water pressure so this is even more of a compliment. We also got this at a great price on a Gold Box deal, so feeling like a smart and earth conscious consumer.

Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case
Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case
Price: $39.36
33 used & new from $39.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat these for the money, November 17, 2009
I bought these Koss ProPorta headphones after getting tired of the small in-ear headphones. I've had a bunch of them, including Bose and Bang & Olufsen. These are better than any of those. I was just looking for something to use with my computer at work. I don't use them a lot, but am now finding myself using them a lot more than I used to.

For what I wanted these for and for the price, not sure how you can beat them. I've also had the high-end Bose noise canceling headphones, but they are so big and bulky that I just don't carry them with me when I travel. Several of the reviews commented on how hard it was to get these into the leather-like storage bag that comes with them. I did not find it a problem at all. They fold up and hook together and easily fit inside the bag. They are super comfortable (my hair is short so the hair pulling isn't an issue). The way they're built, they'll probably last forever or at least until I get tired of them.

I wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy these. Hey if you don't like them, you're only out about $30. I'm not a sound expert, so they sound pretty darned good to me and much better than all the small ones I've been using.

Page: 1 | 2