Industrial-Sized Deals BOTMKT15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Rob Thomas Storm Fire TV Stick Amazon Elements Sensitive Baby Wipes, Exclusive to Prime Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Profile for Grandma > Reviews

Browse

Grandma's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1422
Top Reviewer Ranking: 112

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Grandma RSS Feed (Vermont, USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SuperEze Best 4 Sided Cheese Box Grater with FREE Food Catcher Container. Also a Shredder Cutter Zester and Slicer made from Stainless Steel.
Offered by SuperEze
Price: $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Traditional Grater With Extras!, August 10, 2015
I do a lot of grating, so a decent grater is an absolute must in my kitchen. I really don't have the space for a food processor and nowhere to put my stand mixer where I can use the processor attachment, so a hand grater it is. Until recently I had a compact model that dated back to the days when I first moved out on my own and lived in a tiny cabin with a minuscule kitchen. That one was hard to manipulate and even harder to clean, so I was delighted to try this traditional SuperEze 4 Sided Box Grater.

With three sizes of grates and a slicer on one side for things like cucumbers, this grater is a real work horse. It is easy to hold, easy to clean (no more shoving the sponge into the interior with a table knife) and makes quick work of cheese and vegetables. I particularly like the food storage container that comes with the grater. Simply set the grater on top of the box and grate directly into the container - perfect for making quick work of a bar of cheese.

The grater is made of stainless steel with BPA-free plastic edgings and container.

Grandma's $0.02 - I've been wanting to replace my old grater for a long time. This is a perfect replacement, one I expect will last a lifetime.

Highly Recommended

*Sample provided
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2015 10:43 AM PDT

Palais Glassware Paneled Clear Glass Pitcher - Fruit Infusion Pitcher - Holds 64 Ounces

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice For Iced Tea!, August 1, 2015
I love to sit out on the porch with a glass of tea. I prefer cold-brewed tea with lemon, something that this 64 ounce (half gallon) Palais Glassware Paneled Clear Glass Pitcher makes very easy. Simply put your tea bags* and preferred fruit (I like lemon, but chopped peaches and raspberries are also good) into the infusion tube, attach it to the lid and plunge it into the pitcher filled with cold water. In a half-hour or so you have tea!

The pitcher looks great on a table and unlike other glass pitchers I have, it comes with a handy lid.

* I most often use loose tea placed in one of these handy Disposable Loose Tea Paper Bags from Japan rather than commercial tea bags.

NOTE: This pitcher is not made of tempered glass, so it should not be used to hold hot liquids, nor should you make iced tea in the more traditional way by pouring the hot stewed tea over sugar placed in the pitcher.

Crocheting on the Edge: Ribs & Bobbles*Ruffles*Flora*Fringes*Points & Scallops
Crocheting on the Edge: Ribs & Bobbles*Ruffles*Flora*Fringes*Points & Scallops
by Nicky Epstein
Price: $19.86
76 used & new from $3.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Reference Book For Those Who Like To Design Their Own Projects, August 1, 2015
I think the most treasured gift that I have ever received was a gorgeous set of sheets that my grandmother gave me when I got married. Beautiful, smooth white percale cotton, she hand crocheted a gorgeous scalloped border across the top of the sheet and around the open edge of the pillowcases, all done in a fine white cotton thread with tiny steel crochet needles. I cherished those gorgeous sheets for decades.

There are thousands of gorgeous crochet borders that have been developed over the years. Nicky Epstein has assembled a collection of more than 200 of them in her latest, Crocheting on the Edge: Ribs & Bobbles*Ruffles*Flora*Fringes*Points & Scallops. While Nicky does include patterns for 9 different projects ranging from a simple trim on a purchased t-shirt to an intricate shawl, nearly all of the edging patterns are reference patterns that can be adapted to a variety of projects and sizes of yarns. Directions are given in both traditional crochet abbreviations and graphing for those who prefer to count stitches.

While the included borders range from simple to complex, very few of the included patterns are suitable for beginners.

Grandma's $0.02 - Nice reference book for those who like to design their own projects.

Best Flatware Silverware Kitchen Drawer Organizer -Eliminate Clutter with Adjustable Dividers and Expendable Bamboo -Great As a Utensil Tray Holder,Keurig K Cup Coffee Capsules Storage or Spice Rack
Offered by Home-Complete
Price: $61.99
3 used & new from $23.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Organization!, July 31, 2015
I live in an antique house with an antique kitchen that other than some appliance upgrades is still in mostly original condition - a pantry with (still working) ice box (yes, I do have a refrigerator), glass fronted cupboards over the sink, a built-in glass-fronted china cupboard that features two full-width drawers, even a niche in the wall for the household madonna. Those drawers are loaded with my ever-expanding collection of gadgets, so I've been hunting for suitable organizers for quite some time. This bamboo Kitchen Drawer Organizer is just perfect!

With sides that pull out to fit larger spaces, the organizer has a clean natural look that I love and offers a multitude of configurations with removable spacers so that you can have a just-right place for everything and everything in its place.

Easy to clean, bamboo is washable in hot water & soap, though like all wood it should not be placed in the dishwasher. Periodically you may want to treat the wood with some butcher block oil to keep it from drying out.

Grandma's $0.02 - I've had my eye on a similar bamboo organizer at a local high-end store. This one has a similar price while offering more organizational options with those removable dividers.

*Sample provided at a discount

Best 3 Bamboo Cutting Boards - Large Medium Small Size Set - Anti-microbial and Germ-resistant Butcher Block Wood - Heavy Use Cut Board - Good for Your Chopping Knives - Lifetime Guarantee!
Offered by Home-Complete
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cutting Boards!, July 31, 2015
It is high summer here in Vermont and most days far too hot to actually cook anything that can't be grilled, so I've been doing lots of chopping, slicing and dicing turning out salads and sushi and our favorite guacamole. My plastic cutting boards have been looking more than a bit shabby of late - deeply scarred, permanently stained, one with mold growing under the plastic corners! Off to the recycling bin they went. Definitely time for some replacements at Grandma's!

Trying to decide on a cutting board can be problematic. Glass cutting boards are very easy to sterilize, but they will trash your knives in a heartbeat and quite honestly, the mold under the corners of that plastic board really rather turned me off to the plastic ones. So, I've gone back to wooden boards. They are easy to care for (wash in hot soapy water, rinse well - you can use a 10& bleach solution if you want to sterilize the board - and rub with some Butcher Block Oil* now and then), do not scar as badly as the plastic ones do and have no little plastic corners for mold to grow under.

This 3 Piece Set of Bamboo Cutting Boards was a fantastic choice. Tough enough to stand up to heavy duty use yet still lightweight, the set consists of three very convenient sizes - a large board 9 x 13, a medium sized board that measures about 8 x 11 and a small board perfect for little jobs like slicing cheese that measures not quite 6 x 8 inches. Each board has a convenient hand hold at one end that can also be used to hang the boards for storage.

The boards come with a life-time, no questions asked guarantee.

▶︎ ABOUT THOSE E. COLI

Anytime that you are preparing food you need to worry about the presence of bacteria. E. coli contaminates beef, chicken might very well carry Salmonella, and if you've been watching the news, then you know that even the cilantro grown in Mexico that you brought home from the store might be contaminated. Don't let them kid you that plastic cutting boards are "safer" than wood. There are bacteria that can grow on plastic, metal or even soap, not to mention the microscopic gunk that accumulates in those scratches and grooves no matter how well you scrub the board. So, to be safe -

❖ Scrub your cutting board with soap and hot water immediately after use, then allow it to air dry.

❖ If you have been handling meat, spray your cleaned board with a 10& bleach solution (1/4 cup bleach, 2 1/4 cups water in a spray bottle), allow it to stand for one minute and then rinse with very hot water. (Do this periodically anyway.)

Yes, yes - Grandma knows full well they say to keep different cutting boards for meat and veg, but Grandma also knows that in a pinch we all grab the one that is handy.

*Sample provided at a discount

Blue Hortensia Flowers in Glass Vase, Still Life | Stretched Canvas Prints - 16" x 16"
Offered by BestDealDepot
Price: $26.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great, Needs A Trip To The Hardware Store, July 31, 2015
I love this Blue Hortensia Flowers in Glass Vase Stretched Canvas Print. I happen to adore these particular flowers and the print looks wonderful on my cafe au lait-colored walls. Nicely printed onto canvas that is then mounted on a wooden stretcher I did find a couple of annoyances with this particular item.

First, I had the print standing on top of the radiator leaning against the wall for several days before hanging it. (I'm not allowed to climb ladders these days and had to wait for my son-in-law to come hang it for me.) It has been quite hot here and as a result the edge of the canvas did stick just slightly to the pain on the wall. I rushed right out for little felt dots to mount on the back corners to keep the print from quite touching the wall.

Also note that the print does not come with any sort of hanging mechanism. You'll either need to acquire a 16 x 16 inch frame (which would eliminate the need for felt dots) or add your own hardware.

ABUSA Men's Breathable Cotton Relaxed Fit Casual Work Cargo Pants 38 Khaki
ABUSA Men's Breathable Cotton Relaxed Fit Casual Work Cargo Pants 38 Khaki
Offered by ABUSA Direct
Price: $39.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A Summer Fave, July 31, 2015
It is high summer here in Vermont and we've had more than a few days lately approaching the 100F in the shade mark, so these ABUSA Men's Breathable Cotton Relaxed Fit Casual Work Cargo Pants have quickly become one of my son-in-law's favorites. Made of a lightweight cotton that launders beautifully and is cool & comfortable in hot weather, they have a great casual fit. (I did order one size larger than he usually wears because these do run a bit small. They fit beautifully.)

Nicely detailed and well constructed, the pants feature two cargo pockets as well as a zipper pocket just above the right side cargo perfect for stashing your keys.

*Sample provided for testing

Newman's Own Medium Salsa, 16 Ounce
Newman's Own Medium Salsa, 16 Ounce
Offered by Since 1901
Price: $10.48
10 used & new from $4.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Salsa EVER!, July 6, 2015
I picked up a jar of Newman's Own Medium Salsa the last time that I went grocery shopping. I expected a decent salsa. What I got was canned tomato puree mixed with some canned diced tomato with a sprinkle of dehydrated onion and a couple of drops of hot sauce added.

It is more than possible to make an excellent jarred salsa. I know this because I put up my own every September for years. This, however, is not only not excellent, it is bland and flavorless beyond all redemption.

BTW, my eyeballs nearly popped out of my head when I ever saw the price on this! The $10.95 price this is currently offered at is more than double what I pay locally!

Grandma's $0.02 - Worst Salsa EVER! Do yourself a favor. Throw the $10 bill in a charity bucket, then buy some other brand or learn to make your own salsa. Newman's is disgusting.

UltraCeramics Color Premium Ceramic Knife Set - 4 Sizes of Kitchen Knives with Clear Blade Covers in Elegant Gift Box
Offered by Beejays Kitchen
Price: $54.95
2 used & new from $31.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Addition To Any Kitchen, June 12, 2015
There was a time in my life when, to my father's despair, I never sharpened a knife. As I didn't even own a knife sharpener, he would show up every few weeks dragging his sharpening equipment and sharpen every knife in my house, mumbling under his breath the entire time about taking care of one's tools and cutting oneself and working harder than you need to . . . . Eventually, he converted me and I learned to sharpen my own knives and keep them sharp. (Dad was right about all of the things he mumbled about.) Still, every once in a while I don't mind a return to my "lazy" ways of simply grabbing a knife and having at it. Ceramic knives make that easy and this is a particularly nice set - super sharp with color coded handles and each with a blade cover to protect the blades.

That's important as ceramic knives are much more brittle than a metal knife is. They are also not as flexible, so there are some things you simply can't do with a ceramic knife. They are not good for cutting frozen meat or meat with bones in it, won't do for filleting fish and will shatter if you attempt to smash garlic. On the plus side, they keep their sharp edge much longer than a metal knife does, are great for getting paper thin slices of tomatoes or onions and will even slice bread without smashing it flat.

In the box you will find

▶︎ 6 inch Chef Knife - Red
▶︎ 5 inch Utility Knife - Green
▶︎ 4 inch Fruit Knife - Blue
▶︎ 3 inch Paring Knife - Yellow
▶︎ 4 Clear Blade Covers

The knives should be hand-washed in warm soapy water rather than placed in the dishwasher. (In all honesty, that is true of ANY knife if you want to keep it around.) Ceramic does not rust. These can be sharpened, but not with your regular sharpening tools and there is a learning curve. Luckily, they'll not need sharpening often.

Grandma's $0.02 - Super set of knives that will last you for many carefree years. These particular knives are extremely easy to hold without hand fatigue, even through protracted chores like peeling potatoes.

*Sample provided

MIU COLOR® 4' 9" X 6' 7" Durable 3-Layer Outdoor Blanket Camping Blanket Picnic Blanket with Handles, Moisture-proof, Water-proof and Sand-proof, Foldable Blanket, Color: Orange-blue Plaid
Offered by MIU COLOR Shop
Price: $45.00
2 used & new from $31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For the Lake or Beach!, June 12, 2015
Whether it is the weekly concert in the park or an afternoon at the lake, one thing my family loves to do on the glorious days of late spring, summer and fall here in Vermont is picnic! This MIU COLOR® Durable Outdoor Camping Picnic Blanket is the perfect accessory. Large enough to seat six plus a tot or two, the blanket is done in a water=proof vinyl backed heavy duty duck fabric. (The one that I received is striped in an attractive red, white, blue and black pattern.)

The blanket folds and unfolds easily. A velcro tab keeps the blanket folded and a sewn-in handle makes it easy to carry. The blanket may be cleaned by simply wiping it off or may be either hand or machine washed if necessary.

Grandma's $0.02 - This went straight into my picnic kit! (No more damp behinds - or sand in the food!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20