Profile for Grandma > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 85

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Grandma RSS Feed (Vermont, USA)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
UltraCeramics Color Premium Ceramic Knife Set - 4 Sizes of Kitchen Knives with Clear Blade Covers in Elegant Gift Box
Offered by Beejays Kitchen
Price: $54.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Addition To Any Kitchen, June 12, 2015
There was a time in my life when, to my father's despair, I never sharpened a knife. As I didn't even own a knife sharpener, he would show up every few weeks dragging his sharpening equipment and sharpen every knife in my house, mumbling under his breath the entire time about taking care of one's tools and cutting oneself and working harder than you need to . . . . Eventually, he converted me and I learned to sharpen my own knives and keep them sharp. (Dad was right about all of the things he mumbled about.) Still, every once in a while I don't mind a return to my "lazy" ways of simply grabbing a knife and having at it. Ceramic knives make that easy and this is a particularly nice set - super sharp with color coded handles and each with a blade cover to protect the blades.

That's important as ceramic knives are much more brittle than a metal knife is. They are also not as flexible, so there are some things you simply can't do with a ceramic knife. They are not good for cutting frozen meat or meat with bones in it, won't do for filleting fish and will shatter if you attempt to smash garlic. On the plus side, they keep their sharp edge much longer than a metal knife does, are great for getting paper thin slices of tomatoes or onions and will even slice bread without smashing it flat.

In the box you will find

▶︎ 6 inch Chef Knife - Red
▶︎ 5 inch Utility Knife - Green
▶︎ 4 inch Fruit Knife - Blue
▶︎ 3 inch Paring Knife - Yellow
▶︎ 4 Clear Blade Covers

The knives should be hand-washed in warm soapy water rather than placed in the dishwasher. (In all honesty, that is true of ANY knife if you want to keep it around.) Ceramic does not rust. These can be sharpened, but not with your regular sharpening tools and there is a learning curve. Luckily, they'll not need sharpening often.

Grandma's $0.02 - Super set of knives that will last you for many carefree years. These particular knives are extremely easy to hold without hand fatigue, even through protracted chores like peeling potatoes.

*Sample provided

MIU COLOR® Durable 3-Layer Outdoor Camping Picnic Blanket with Handles, Moisture-proof, Water-proof and Sand-proof, Foldable Blanket, Color: Orange-blue Plaid
Offered by MIU COLOR Shop
Price: $45.00
2 used & new from $31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For the Lake or Beach!, June 12, 2015
Whether it is the weekly concert in the park or an afternoon at the lake, one thing my family loves to do on the glorious days of late spring, summer and fall here in Vermont is picnic! This MIU COLOR® Durable Outdoor Camping Picnic Blanket is the perfect accessory. Large enough to seat six plus a tot or two, the blanket is done in a water=proof vinyl backed heavy duty duck fabric. (The one that I received is striped in an attractive red, white, blue and black pattern.)

The blanket folds and unfolds easily. A velcro tab keeps the blanket folded and a sewn-in handle makes it easy to carry. The blanket may be cleaned by simply wiping it off or may be either hand or machine washed if necessary.

Grandma's $0.02 - This went straight into my picnic kit! (No more damp behinds - or sand in the food!

*Sample provided

Ocean Facial Toner by COUI Skincare - Natural Alcohol Free with Rose Water , Sea Kelp , Witch Hazel , Aloe Vera - Minimize Pores , Refresh Skin , Tone and Tighten
Offered by COUI Skincare
Price: $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Surround Yourself With The Scent of Roses By The Sea, June 12, 2015
Several weeks ago the nice folks at Coui sent me a sample of their Ocean Facial Toner and I've been using it ever since. Unlike most toners I've used, this one comes in a spray bottle - just close your eyes and spray your face. You'll find yourself instantly transported to the seashore, surrounded by beach roses, warm sand and the sharp smell of salt and seaweed.

The product contains rose water (rosa dmascena), Witch Hazel extract, marine kelp filtrate bioferment, propanediol and aloe barbadensis extract.

▶︎ PROPANEDIOL, usually vegetable derived, is used in many natural cosmetics to keep the ingredients mixed together. It has a very low overall hazard level with no known risk of cancer or other toxicities, though it can be mildly irritating to the skin. (rarely). It is not suspected to be an environmental toxin.

Grandma's $0.02 - One of the very nicest toners I've used, gentle on my skin and easy to apply.

*Sample provided

OutfitterPro Folding Ceramic Knife (3 inch)
OutfitterPro Folding Ceramic Knife (3 inch)
Offered by TLC Brands
Price: $10.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For The Picnic Kit!, June 12, 2015
My family has always been the type that loves to go somewhere and do something, often involving a picnic, at the spur of the moment at just about every opportunity. Accordingly, I keep a picnic basket packed with essentials at all times - paper plates, cups, eating utensils, salt & pepper and of course a small cutting board and knife. I love this OutfitterPro Folding Ceramic Knife and the minute I was done testing it I re-washed it and it went straight into the picnic kit!

Sharp enough to cut tomatoes and bread with no effort or crushing of the bread, the knife is large enough for most jobs of the "picnic" sort and folds securely into the handle. Like all ceramic knives, the edge on this is very sharp and will last a long time. (It can be sharpened, but you'll need a special sharpener and there is a learning curve.) There are a few things that ceramic knives are not suitable for - filleting fish (not flexible enough), cutting bone-in meat, smashing cloves of garlic - but you needn't worry about that with this paring-sized knife

Grandma's $0.02 - Nice little knife that folds into its handle, perfect for picnics!

*Sample provided

Hand-cut Work White Hand Crochet vintage Tablecloth Fabric Tabletopper Ribbon Embroidery Floral Cotton Fabric Rectangle Weeding Party Vacation Tableclothtton Fabric 33 inch*33 inch

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatiful Classic Cloth, Perfect For Spring & Summer, June 12, 2015
Way back in the 70's my mother and I loved to haunt local tag sales looking for the gorgeous hand-embroidered and hand-crocheted linens of her mother's and grandmother's day, then out of fashion but to us much too beautiful to discard. This Hand-cut work white hand crochet tablecloth is a gorgeous new rendition of those classically beautiful tablecloths, one to be cherished for years to come.

The tablecloth features individual panels of white waffle-weave fabric hand embroidered in the palest shades of yellow, pink, lavender and mauve ribbon embroidery flowers accented with French knots and olive green ferns. Each panel is lined, then joined together and bordered with white crochet lace. The cloth is machine washable (I would use the gentle cycle) and may be either line or tumble dried (again, use the gentle cycle if you tumble dry.)

▶︎ TIP: When not in use, store your fine linens wrapped in tissue (pale blue is best but white will do) inside zipper bags out of the light to keep them from yellowing.

Grandma's $0.02 - This gorgeous cloth is perfect for an afternoon tea or a bridal or baby shower - or use the smaller toppers on round tables at a wedding reception. Ever so pretty with a longer lining cloth of a pastel color that matches one in the embroidery! It makes me happy just to look at it - and how I wish that the lilacs had not gone by. Bouquets of lilacs would be perfect with this! By the way, the larger rectangular versions of this cloth can be the perfect spread for a twin or full-sized bed in a very feminine bedroom, something I loved to do with the crocheted tablecloths that Mama and I collected! (Again, use a longer pastel plain spread underneath.)

Highly Recommended

Nucelle Women's Tote Bag Pink Genuine Leather Large Size
Nucelle Women's Tote Bag Pink Genuine Leather Large Size
Offered by NucelleLeatherware Official Store
Price: $79.50
2 used & new from $79.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous In Pink! Perfect For Spring & Summer, June 10, 2015
I almost always have volunteers to help me test new items that arrive for review, but this time I had a bevy of them! This Nucelle® Women's Leather Handbag is gorgeous and really raised a clamor when it arrived on my doorstep. Done in pink leather with black piping along the edges, the bag is large enough for a small laptop or tablet in a cover. You may not recognize the brand name, but the designer has taken many a leaf from the bigs in handbag design and it really shows in the construction and features of this bag.

On the outside you'll find a small zipper pocket for easy, immediate access of smaller items. The zipper features a unique locking mechanism - the tab on the zipper pull fits over a loop at the far end of the zipper, into which you fit a small gold padlock. (The padlock and a matching key on a leather tag come with the bag.) Dual padded handles make the bag easy to carry.

The inside is lined with a pretty beige and metallic satin lining. Every seam is immaculately finished. On one side of the interior you'll find two sewn-in pouches detailed with pink leather piping perfect for things like your cell phone. A large interior zipper pocket divides the bag. The other side features a zipper pocket equipped with a pink leather and metal clip so that you won't need to fish for your keys. The bottom of the bag is reinforced.

Grandma's $0.02 - A gorgeous bag that even Imelda would adore, this quite reminds me of my favorite B. Markowski, though of course nowhere near the price. I'm afraid I'm going to have to dry straws to decide who gets to try this bag out.

*Sample provided

Make Sushi - Perfect Roll Making Kit - Complete Set with Clear Instructions on How to Make Maki - Just Add Shashimi Grade Fish, Sticky Rice and Vegetables - Deba Knives Sold Separately
Offered by Love Park Products
Price: $19.47
2 used & new from $19.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Tons of Fun - But Limited, June 10, 2015
One of my daughters and my granddaughter absolutely adore sushi. The rest of us, frankly, haven't really seen what the fuss is all about. Recently though, my granddaughter has been making her own sushi and posting the most beautiful pictures on Facebook, so when I was asked to review this sushi kit I jumped at the opportunity, thinking it would be something my granddaughter and I could do together when she visits in a few weeks. After all, who better than someone with lots of cooking experience but very little sushi making or eating experience to tell you if something works? The company was even nice enough to send along a box of ingredients and so from the minute that they arrived last week I've been making sushi.

I started out by going to Youtube to learn a bit about making sushi (Sometimes one video is worth a million words, sort of the principle we operate under in medicine - see one, do one, teach one.) and then I collected a few recipes. I am a medical scientist by profession, so eating raw fish was absolutely NOT in my game plan. (That trip to Youtube revealed that "sushi grade fish" has all been frozen for a specific amount of time to kill any parasites. I might consider eating raw fish in the future as long as I bought it myself.)

The Make Sushi - Perfect Roll Making Kit comes with a base into which you can insert three different bottoms - round, square or triangular - and three different tops - round, square and a double half round that combined with the triangular base will give you a heart shaped sushi - as well as a tamper for shaping the rice inside the nori sheet, a rice paddle and a spreader.

The idea is pretty simple -

▶︎ Put the bottom that you want to use inside the base.

▶︎ Put a nori sheet inside the assembly with the excess hanging over the edges.

▶︎ Spread sushi rice inside the nori so that it comes half-way up the sides

▶︎ Use the tamper to make a groove in the sushi rice

▶︎ Add any other fillings you want - I used crab stick, smoked salmon, cucumber, avocado and scallions, though not all at the same time

▶︎ Fold the edges of the nori over the filling

▶︎ Insert your chosen top and press to form the roll

▶︎ Cut through the slits in the side of the form to make individual serving pieces

Easy - but there are some limitations:

▶︎ Many of the sushi videos that I watched on Youtube showed sushi rolls made with a half-sheet of nori. I did try those in the Make Sushi - Perfect Roll Making Kit and found that the half-sheet is simply too small to work inside the form. The edges will not meet. If you want to make the smaller rolls you'll need to roll them in a traditional way, which is not at all difficult.

▶︎ Many of the more interesting and readily accessible sushi rolls have the rice on the outside and the nori on the inside. That does not work in the Make Sushi - Perfect Roll Making Kit. I ended up making my California Rolls, which traditionally have the sushi rice & garnish (sesame seeds or various forms of roe) on the outside and the crab stick, avocado and cucumber on the inside, reversed so that the nori was on the outside of the roll. Good, but not as pretty since the garnish wouldn't stick to the nori.

Grandma's $0.02 - While I'm not about to rush right out and start eating raw fish, making my own sushi opened a whole new world for me. Unafraid to try something that came out of Mom's kitchen rather than heaven-knows-where, my daughters tried it too and we all loved the sushi I made - and made - and made! With some pickled ginger and a seaweed salad from the sushi bar that just opened at one of our local markets, this made a stupendous lunch. (6 to 8 pieces is more than plenty for an individual serving.) With a little bit of practice you can easily turn out gorgeous sushi and since you can make many rolls a few hours in advance and then cut them at the last minute, sushi can make a great appetizer for a party. Make Sushi - Perfect Roll Making Kit is a great place for sushi chef beginners to start.

Cuisinart CSKS-048 Sliding Skewer Pack, Silver, 4-Pack
Cuisinart CSKS-048 Sliding Skewer Pack, Silver, 4-Pack
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $13.49

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll Stick To Single Bayonet Blades, June 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It was a gorgeous evening here in Vermont yesterday, so I threw together some kebabs of marinated sirloin tips cut in 2-inch chunks along with some red & green pepper and red onion specifically to test out these Cuisinart CSKS-048 Sliding Skewers. Boy were they good!

If you're a fan of Alton Brown, then you probably already know that the flat bayonet style of skewer, which these are, does a much better job of holding the food in place without it rotating crazily around the skewer than round skewers do. My big question, though, was "Do these double-bladed skewers to a better job than a single flat bayonet skewer?" Answer - on the whole, no.

Because the two blades of the skewers are not rigid they do not stay a stable distance apart as you thread the food onto them, no matter how careful you are. They worked well for the meat, but I lost many a piece of pepper and onion, especially from the half of the skewers nearest the tips. Each skewer held 7 pieces of meat with a piece of pepper and onion before and after each piece of meat - plenty even for my son-in-law's man-sized appetite!

The product page does not say what metal these skewers are made of, nor does the box or the skewers themselves. Years of experience tell me that these are likely aluminum, not stainless steel. The box does say that they are not dishwasher safe and must be hand washed. We used a small grill similar to a hibachi to avoid the "don't place the sliders over direct heat" issue.

Grandma's $0.02 - Nice skewers if you're just using meat but I'll stick to single bladed skewers for mixed meat and vegetable skewers.

THE #1 Rated Kitchen Shears / Kitchen Scissors with Soft Rubber Grips, Along with a Magmatic Fridge Holster.
Offered by Coupon Master
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Kitchen Multitool, June 7, 2015
Nothing is handier than a decent pair of kitchen shears for cutting string, snipping herbs, opening packages, even cutting the back bone out of poultry in order to spatchcock it! My kitchen drawer has several, but these Kitchen Scissors with Soft Rubber Grips really take that cake! They don't just snip. Far from it!

▶︎ Each of the two handles has a little tool sticking out of the top - one for opening things like clams and mussels, the other for opening a bottle of beer.

▶︎ Open the scissors so that the blades are at right angles and they'll come apart for easy cleaning

▶︎ One of the blades has a handy slit that is useful for stripping the leaves off the stems of fresh herbs

▶︎ The other blade has a serrated outer edge intended for scaling fish

And if that isn't enough, place a walnut or a crab claw between the two handles and squeeze for a handy cracker!

The kitchen shears come with a handy holster with a very strong magnet to keep them right at your finger tips on the fridge.

Grandma's $0.02 - These Kitchen Scissors with Soft Rubber Grips are the handiest kitchen shears I've seen in some time. Highly Recommended

*Sample provided

DII Kitchen Millennium 4-Piece Heat Resistant Seamless Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA Free Silicone DII Kitchen Tool Set, Red
Price: $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Silicone Cooking Utensils Are The Best New Kitchen Gadget In Decades, June 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While I am very much of a traditionalist about my kitchen equipment (I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"), I have come to really appreciate silicone kitchen utensils and this 4-Piece DII Kitchen Tool Set is no exception. You'll find the 4 most commonly used kitchen tools - a spatula, solid and slotted spoons and a pasta lifter - each done in red silicone.

▶︎ All the tools are done in a single, seamless piece so there are no crevices or crannies where dirt and bacteria can hide

▶︎ Heat safe to 480F, so you can leave the spoon right in the pot of boiling water and come back to a cool handle or use the spatula on the grill without worrying about it melting

▶︎ Easy to clean, the tools are top-rack dishwasher safe

▶︎ BPA Free, does not absorb smells or stain

▶︎ Will not scratch your non-stick cookware

Grandma's $0.02 - Silicone kitchen utensils are the single best new gadget I've seen in many decades. You'll love these!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20