ARRAY(0xa418ae4c)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 82

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Grandma RSS Feed (Vermont, USA)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Triscuit Hint Of Salt, 9-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Triscuit Hint Of Salt, 9-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Offered by Mi Antojito Latino
Price: $24.50
5 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard-put to Tell The Difference!, April 16, 2014
I've always liked Triscuits. Great with cheese, they are an easy way to get extra fiber into your diet. Recently I've discovered a health problem that has resulted in me spending a fair bit of time in the hospital and added a large number of medicines to my daily routine. While I'm not salt restricted, I am trying to watch my salt intake, so the last time I went out to the store for groceries I picked up a box of these Triscuit Hint Of Salt.

I was quite surprised to find these every bit as satisfying as the regular, more highly salted version. The crackers still have that occasional salty bite. In fact, if I wasn't looking at the printing on the box, I might be hard put to tell the difference.

Two thumbs up for a great cracker!

Colgate Max Fresh Full Head Toothbrush, Soft
Colgate Max Fresh Full Head Toothbrush, Soft
Price: $5.71
4 used & new from $5.71

5.0 out of 5 stars For Those Who Like A Traditional Brush, April 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Colgate Max Fresh Full Head Toothbrush is a fairly traditional toothbrush, updated with multi-height bristles and a built in tongue freshener for maximum cleaning effect. Soft bristles are gentle on your gums.

NOTE - Experts say that you should change out your toothbrush every three months whether it appears to need it or not - and also after you've had a cold, the flu or a strep infection. Germs can hide in those bristles.

Highly Recommended

Colgate 360 Compact Head Toothbrush, Soft
Colgate 360 Compact Head Toothbrush, Soft
Price: $2.96
4 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For Smaller Mouths, April 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Perfect for smaller mouths and those who prefer a smaller brush, the tightly packed, soft bristles of the Colgate 360 Compact Head Toothbrush are gentle on your gums while special cups hold the toothpaste for better polishing. A built in tongue cleaner helps power away even more bacteria.

Highly Recommended

White Sugar Scrub - Island Cotton - 9oz Jar
White Sugar Scrub - Island Cotton - 9oz Jar
Offered by San Francisco Salt Company
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle & Luxurious, April 16, 2014
No sooner has a package containing this Island Cotton White Sugar Scrub arrived from the San Francisco Salt Company back in December than I found myself in the hospital. I've been back and forth every since having various procedures and trying to stabilize the many new meds. Meanwhile I have, quite frankly, turned into an old turnip from weeks of sponge baths, skimpy showers and general neglect of any sort of beauty routine. Finally feeling better, my daughter and I decided to mourn the repeated disappearance of our all-too-short spring (winter is back with a vengeance) with a pedicure party featuring this delightful scrub.

After a good soak in the foot spa, we applied a small amount of the gently-scented scrub to each foot and rubbed vigorously. Loaded with sweet almond oil and aloe vera, the scrub removed nearly all of the dry skin and callus from my poor neglected feet, leaving them soft, lovely - almost unrecognizable. One note - if you use this in the tub be sure to rub the scrub in very well and be careful climbing out!

Grandma's $0.02 - Beautifully scented, a little Island Cotton White Sugar Scrub goes a long ways!

Highly recommended

Hamilton Beach 49999A FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffeemaker
Hamilton Beach 49999A FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffeemaker
Price: $49.00
10 used & new from $36.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For Occasional Coffee Drinkers, April 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Something strange has happened to me over the last few years. There was a time that I thought that coffee should come in an IV-drip. Consuming an entire pot before noon was no great feat. When a new doctor asked how much coffee I drank, I simply replied "lots." When she wanted to know what "lots" was I asked her if she remembered medical school. End of subject . . . and then one day I noticed that the first pot didn't disappear before noon. Before long it wasn't the "first pot" but "the pot" and it still wasn't all disappearing, so eventually I gave in and switched to a 4-cup coffee maker, but after a bit I noticed that even the 4 cups, really only enough to fill my mug twice, was not all disappearing either. And then one day I woke up and realized that I hadn't had a cup of coffee since . . . . so long ago I didn't remember the last cup of coffee!

Since then I've satisfied my coffee urges, when they strike, with some sort of little gizmo that sits on top of the cup or maybe a little French press. The 4-cup coffeemaker went into the tag sale box. Meanwhile, my daughter has been trying time and time again to give me a Keurig machine, but frankly, I have a bit of a penny-pincher streak and the cost of those K-cups as regular source of coffee just rankles me. And then along came the Hamilton Beach 49999A FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffeemaker . . . .

Now admittedly the FlexBrew sat in my kitchen for several weeks before I actually felt like having a cup of coffee. (In all fairness, I've been in and out of the hospital. It really wasn't the fault of either the coffee or the machine.) Eventually however, the mood struck and I must say, the FlexBrew makes a darned good cuppa.

I particularly like the flexibility of the machine. You can, if you are of of a mind, use K cups or the version made by Melitta. Remove the K-cup holder and add 2 tablespoons (level) of regular grind coffee to the basket underneath for a dynamite brew with your usual grounds - or remove the stand you set the cup on and you'll find a smaller (1 tablespoon capacity) basket to set inside the large one if you want to use a fine or espresso grind coffee - a great way to discover extra flavor notes. (8 O'Clock "red bag" on espresso grind tastes much like chocolate.)

The Hamilton Beach 49999A FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffeemaker is flexible in another way too. The stand raises a coffee cup high enough under the spout of the machine that the coffee does not go cold on its way to the cup, as the coffee did in one particular Keurig machine that my daughter has had. Remove the stand and the machine will accommodate a travel mug.

I did find one minor drawback. The water receptacle is on the small side - confusing because the machine is so tall. I got around that by putting the water in a different cup than the one I was using to catch the coffee, leaving the lid open and adding the remainder of the water as soon as there was room in the water receptacle.

Grandma's $0.02 - The Hamilton Beach 49999A FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffeemaker is great for the occasional cup of coffee without locking you into expensive special coffee delivery systems. If you're looking for a coffee maker for a college student, just buy a 12-cup model in the first place!

by Lucy Vaserfirer
Price: $11.35
25 used & new from $7.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes, No Way To Find Them!, April 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Marinades: The Quick-Fix Way to Turn Everyday Food Into Exceptional Fare, with 400 Recipes is chock-full of recipes for just about any sort of marinade you can think of - 200 of them, each accompanied by a recipe for a dish that uses the marinade. The marinades themselves are luscious & user-friendly. Several are slight variations of recipes that I have been in my repertoire for decades. The Lemon Pepper Marinade I used for fish last night was great! There is just one teeny problem -

The book that I received is an Advance Review Copy or Uncorrected Bound Galley, printed and sent to reviewers before the final book run. I've had more than a few of these over the years. One expects the photographs to either be in black and white or simply represented by an empty box that says "photo", omissions like "See page ____" and an Index represented by a single page of paper with just the word "Index" on it. These "in advance" books, though, are pretty much the way that they will appear in the final version.

No publisher is going to go to the trouble to completely reset the layout in order to add pictures and so forth and Marinades: The Quick-Fix Way to Turn Everyday Food Into Exceptional Fare, with 400 Recipes has not a single blank space for a picture nor even the vaguest hint that there might eventually be an index. And even though the book has since been officially published, there is no Look Inside or Kindle version to check.

Cookbooks are intended to actually cook from. All the great recipes in the world are useless if you cannot find the one that you are looking for quickly and easily. (Who has time to leaf through page after page looking for that one particular recipe you vaguely recall from several weeks or even months ago?) For a book with 200 marinade recipes plus 200 more recipes for dishes that use those marinades, an Index, preferably a cross-referenced Index, is absolutely vital.

Grandma's $0.02 - Great recipes - if you can find the one that you want.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 9:48 AM PDT

Cool Templar Knights And Crusaders - HD Computer Gaming MousePad - Custom & Personalized Mouse Pads / Mats
Offered by Lovedonna - Made in and Shipped from the USA
Price: $8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Gamer's Delight!, April 14, 2014
This Cool Templar Knights And Crusaders - HD Computer Gaming MousePad is just gorgeous. Every gamer in my family (we are all gamers) has taken one look and hinted none too subtly about how much they might like to take this home - or at least borrow it until they can get their own. The graphics are stunning, printed on a silky fabric that is a delight to touch. The backing is only about half the thickness of a regular mousepad, making this extremely flexible - ideal for gamers who like to sit in an arm chair or recliner while using their mouse on the arm of the chair. Even better, this very flexible mousepad rolls up so that you can take it with you.

Knights not your thing? Don't worry. You can custom order a mousepad using your own HD graphics . . .

Grandma's $0.02 - Great for gamers of all ages!

Grandma received a sample mousepad for testing purposes.

3-Piece Spatula Set -Made out of ONE PIECE silicone - 1 Spoon Spatula & 2 Regular Spatulas a big 10" x 2", and a small 8" x 1" (BLACK)
Offered by Brooklyn Deals
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Workhorses, April 14, 2014
One of my pet peeves is the sort of spatula where the head pulls off the handle. Invariably, unless you deliberately take the head off and soak the parts in bleach mold will grow up inside - and of course once you start pulling the head off the handle it loosens up and dislodges exactly when you don't want it to! This 3-Piece Spatula Set puts an end to all that.

▶︎ Made in a single, seamless piece, there are no cracks or crevices to hide dirt or germs

▶︎ Molded of heat resistant silicon, these will withstand a fair bit of heat - up to about 450F

▶︎ Three handy sizes - a "spoontula" for mixing (I love this for making potato salad), a full size (10") spatula for scraping bowls and a mini-spatula that is perfect for small jobs and confined spaces.

Dishwasher safe, the set comes with a One Year Guarantee.

Grandma's $0.02 - As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as too many spatulas! These are some of the very nicest in my kitchen (adore the mini!). You'll get years of use from these.

Recommended

Grandma received a set of these spatulas for testing purposes.

* Holiday Promotion * TaoTronics® TT-MK003 Mini Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Keyboard for iPad mini 2 / iPad mini / iPad Air / New iPad / iPad 2 / iPad 1 / Nexus 7 / Galaxy Tab and other Tablets
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Backup Keyboard, April 14, 2014
I've been using the TaoTronics® TT-MK003 Mini Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Keyboard for the last week or so. Here's what I've found -

The TaoTronics® TT-MK003 Mini Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Keyboard is the same in both size and layout to a bluetooth iMac keyboard. It uses two AAA batteries.

The TaoTronics® TT-MK003 Mini Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Keyboard is intended to function with both PC and Mac devices, so features both PC & Mac labels on the top row of keys.

The keyboard is very easy to pair with your devices, but there are a couple of minor drawbacks -

▶︎ There is no light that indicates the Cap Lock is on

▶︎ The keyboard shuts itself off if left untouched for a fairly short period of time and is a bit slow to reconnect.

Grandma's $0.02 - The TaoTronics® TT-MK003 Mini Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Keyboard is a decent, not-too-pricey keyboard to keep around as a spare, great for gaming and perfect for kids. At this price who cares if they spill their soda!

Recommended

iPhone 5C Case, Hybrid, For Apple iPhone 5c AT&T Verizon Sprint T-Mobile and All Carriers (Black)
Offered by Luzy's Storage Place
Price: $12.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Somebody Forgot To Actually Look At An iPhone 5C!, April 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This iPhone 5C Case is definitely not a favorite at Grandma's. Our biggest problem? It covers up the mute button on the side of the phone completely, making it impossible to mute your phone without removing the cover.

Not particularly well engineered . . . not particularly recommended either.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20