Profile for Best Crime Books > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 299

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" RSS Feed (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cold Kill (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller)
Cold Kill (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller)

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like Dan Shepherd and we watch him make the daily ..., September 9, 2014
I’ve only recently started back on a bit of a marathon to catch up with the Dan ‘Spider’ Shepherd series and I’m already wondering whether I can squeeze book 4 in next! Spider is currently working an undercover case to try an infiltrate a gang involved in money laundering and people trafficking. What he doesn’t realise is that this part of the case is literally just the beginning.

I really like Dan Shepherd and we watch him make the daily battles between work and his personal life. In addition it seems like there are major changes afoot and his job could well be changing in the near future to this. Add to that a plot that involves terrorism, torture, violence and a whole lot else and you get…well a very elevated heart rate! The more I read the quicker I had to get through it. This particular story just seemed to keep upping the pace and as threats went from suspected to real the tension ratchets up a notch.

In addition to all the drama we see a new character in the form of Charlotte Button, who could well cause a lot of waves in the ongoing books. Having said that it could be the American Richard Yokely that mixes it all up in the next book, who knows? By the time I had finished the book, I HAD to carry on reading to book 4, I mean after all I did buy the Kindle version as a ‘3 book deal’ and it would be rude not to! (FYI the 3 book Kindle deal is an absolute bargain at under £7) I am absolutely enthralled with the Spider series and can see me upsetting people I’ve promised reviews to because I JUST CAN’T WAIT to read the next in the series. Highly recommended!

If You Were Me
If You Were Me

4.0 out of 5 stars he seemed like Mr Perfect and frankly, September 9, 2014
This review is from: If You Were Me (Kindle Edition)
This book had a very enticing cover (as I think most of SOF’s do) and I couldn’t wait to get started. Carlotta O’Keefe is engaged to Chris and between them they both have busy careers’. I didn’t take to Chris from the outset, he seemed like Mr Perfect and frankly, that never sits right with me. We meet Chris dominating family and see Carlotta struggle to keep everybody happy. The opening few chapters see Carlotta try and fail miserably to return to Dublin for her Mother-In-Law’s party. Without realising it Carlotta is about to set off a chain of events that will change everything.

The first few chapters actually had me laughing as I think many people can identify with Carlotta from the outset. She manages to oversleep whilst in Seville on a business trip and then running late and missing trains. It makes the transition to the next part of the story a lot easier. Upon her return to the hotel she runs into Luke Evans, her childhood best friend and that’s where the story gets interesting.

I immensely loved Luke Evans from the start, even though it’s clear that his journey from childhood into adulthood has been far from easy. We start to get to see glimpses of Carlotta’s younger years and her friendship with Luke. We also (albeit slowly) get to find out what went on with Luke’s family many years before. The book is over 400 pages long and although longer than recent books I’ve read it still only took me a day and a half to finish it.

I was a little bit shocked by one turn of event towards the end of the book, but overall it was as usual a wonderful read from O’Flanagan. She manages to not only tell a wonderful story with characters you love, but also throws on the sights and sounds of the places Carlotta visits in too. A fabulous read which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Deadline
Deadline

4.0 out of 5 stars I should have read this sooner, September 9, 2014
This review is from: Deadline (Kindle Edition)
I have to be honest and admit that I have been sitting on this copy of Deadline for some time. It’s one of those books you keep telling yourself you will get to (the story of my life) and when you do you wonder why you waited so long. When I started reading this though I did struggle for a few chapters, and I found myself wondering if I should put it down and start something else. I’m glad I persevered because the story improved immensely and the second half of the book flew by because I was so much more engaged.

I didn’t take long to get to like Dawson Scott, the journalist who has come back from reporting in Afghanistan. However, the story just felt disjointed initially. We heard small sections of story which Dawson moving to cover a story regarding the death of former Marine Jeremy Wesson. It also turns out that Wesson’s biological parents were terrorists of some sort. Dawson’s Godparents are Gary and Eva Headley and Gary works for the FBI and has links to the case involving Wesson’s biological parents. That description of snippets of the story took me at least until the halfway mark to really figure out. Once I knew who everybody was, the story flowed so much better.

Amelia is Wesson’s Ex-Wife and she is currently raising her two sons and Dawson decides to start pulling at this thread as part of his story. The plot had so many threads that it took me some time to unravel them, and then understand where everybody fit it. Once I had done that the story gripped me and I couldn’t read fast enough. I really got to like the main characters Dawson and Amelia, and that’s always a bonus!

Overall by the time I got top the last quarter the pace had picked up considerably and you end up being on a rollercoaster ride right up to the very end. There was plenty of plot twist, with few that I saw coming. I just wish the beginning would have been as fast paced as the end, but it was still a fantastic read.

Smile of the Viper
Smile of the Viper
by Harry Dunn
Price: $12.35
30 used & new from $2.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Cover doesn't do it justice!, September 9, 2014
This review is from: Smile of the Viper (Paperback)
I have to be honest and say that the cover of this book didn’t appeal to me. Don’t ask me why, I can’t put my finger on it but it just doesn’t sit right with me. What I can tell you is that it does NOT do the book justice and if I had one major criticism to Mr Dunn and his Publishers it would be to look at changing the style of cover for his next book. The synopsis of this sounded good and the opening chapters were enough to reel you in.

Jack Barclay is a Private Investigator and things have been pretty slow recently. When Jill Stanton comes in asking him to try and trace her husband Tom, Jack had no clue what sort of chase he would have on his hands. It seems that Tom Stanton who is a financier has done a runner with a million pounds worth of clients’ money. In addition to this, it seems that Tom has got himself involved with some very nasty people.

I liked the writing style and the character Jack Barclay was a likeable guy. There was also quite a lot going on in terms of plot threads and layers and certainly enough to keep you keen to continue reading. The addition of Tom’s mistress Danielle and her antics involving the Cartel also add another dimension to the story. It was certainly paced well and a pretty good debut novel. However, if I am being really picky there were a couple of things (aside from the cover) that I didn’t like.

Jack was far too ‘familiar’ with the client, and that led me to get that ‘first time author’ feel. There was also too many loose ends for me, I like to know what happens after the fact too (even if it’s just a short epilogue). Having mentioned the negatives, I still really liked this and think I will really look forward to the next book (especially if it features Jack Barclay again). A pretty impressive start from Harry Dunn and I will look forward to the next book.

One Kick: A Novel (A Kick Lannigan Novel)
One Kick: A Novel (A Kick Lannigan Novel)
by Chelsea Cain
Price: $19.30
205 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Chelsea Cain’s series featuring Archie and Gretchen and absolutely love it. However, August 26, 2014
I have been reading Chelsea Cain’s series featuring Archie and Gretchen and absolutely love it. However, I had a serious issue with the publishers and their release dates for the last in that series. The last book in the Archie/Gretchen series entitled Let Me Go was released late 2013. However as an avid Kindle reader, I didn’t want to get a big bulky book for my commute. I decided to wait for the Kindle version, and believe it or not I’m still waiting!!! I was so annoyed to learn that the Kindle version wouldn’t be released until over a year later?!? Because of that when I got the new Chelsea Cain book featuring a new character, I put it further down the list than usual out of principle! Of course after trying to convince myself that I was right, I relented and got started on the new one. All I can say is thank god I did!!!

The first thing you need to know about this latest release is that the characters are the furthest thing you can get from the ordinary. I don’t say this lightly and I know it’s a bold statement to make but it’s true. Kick Lannigan is the star of this latest book and she is possibly the most damaged, off the wall and disturbing character I have read in a long time. Of course I absolutely loved her and from the very start I knew this book would be different. Kick is actually a survivor, having been abducted at the age of 6 and found alive 6 years later. Now being in her early twenties we get to see a woman who has some serious issues (obviously) but which makes an absolutely compelling character to read about.

Now Kick is older she has spent her teenage years learning how to protect herself. However, her obsessive and compulsive traits mean that when two children go missing it’s like a trigger for her behaviour to turn a little wild and off key. Add to the mix another intriguing character, meet John Bishop. Initially he approaches Kick to ask for her help in locating the missing children. These two meeting is like putting lit matches in a Firework box, you never quite know what the outcome will be.

One thing to note is that this book will definitely not be everybody’s cup of tea. It’s a little like Marmite me thinks, you either love it or hate it. I absolutely loved it and read it in a matter of hours. The characters had my hairs standing on end, the crime scenes had me cringing in horror and the story, plot and pace were pure magic. I’m chomping at the bit to know when the second book will be released, although I may have to sulk (momentarily you understand) regarding the last Kindle release of CC’s which was a bit of a disaster! That aside a class read which I for one will be putting high on my list of reads from 2014!!!

Rory's Proposal (A Romantic Comedy)
Rory's Proposal (A Romantic Comedy)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I must say that within a few chapters I had fallen in love with the lead character Flora Robson, August 18, 2014
Having not read any of Lynda Renham’s previous books I went into her new one with an open mind. I must say that within a few chapters I had fallen in love with the lead character Flora Robson. Flora’s boyfriend Luke is frankly a bit of an idiot. As we get to know Flora you soon realise that any woman that has to stash her chocolate in a Tampax box, so the boyfriend doesn’t find out, seriously needs to look at her relationship. Flora has her own hair salon and she finds herself fighting against the big Supermarket who want to buy her shop and put her out of business.

With all of that going on she has no idea that what seems like an innocent prang in her car with the delectable Tom will make her life go from bad to worse. The wonderful thing about this book is without a doubt the characters. Not only is Flora (or Flo as she is more commonly called) a brilliant lead, she is surrounded by hilarious characters that just add to the story. Her work colleagues Sandy and Ryan add their flavour as well as Flo’s mum (who IMO was the funniest character out of all of them), and they make the story so much more engaging.

Now don’t get me wrong, there will no doubt people out there that will be looking for a moral to the story (there’s always one!), and I hate to say it…this doesn’t have one. Hurray! This is a good ol’ fashioned fun and light hearted wonderfully amusing book that will keep you entertained from start to finish. It has everything I want in this sort of book, funny characters, a good storyline, romance, tears and laughter. I mean what more can you ask for? I read this in one day and there are certain parts of the book that had me really laughing out loud (all I will say is that when you hear the Bio-freeze mentioned, you’ll know what I mean). This is the perfect book to take on holiday, read on your commute, or generally just put a smile on your face. Class act Lynda Renham, and I can’t wait to read the rest of your books now!

Dead Scared: Lacey Flint Series, Book 2
Dead Scared: Lacey Flint Series, Book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars but not a weepy pathetic one, nor a demonically strong and independent one ..., August 18, 2014
Sharon Bolton only just released the 4th book in this series so luckily I am not that far behind. Having read the first in the series last month I was raring to go with book 2, and what a ride it turned out to be. Lacey Flint is a somewhat damaged character, but not a weepy pathetic one, nor a demonically strong and independent one either. She is bang in the middle and probably the closest to what reality would be I would imagine. She has strengths and weaknesses but I really like her. She has a little bit of attitude and is bright without being portrayed as Miracle Woman!

In this newest case her senior officer Mark Joesbury calls Lacey in on an undercover job. As a somewhat junior copper (albeit experienced, after book 1!) she is pulled in to the job with the minimum amount of information. All she knows is that she is to pose as University student, due to the sudden high levels of suicides happening in and around the college.

Lacey immerses herself in student life and has to portray herself as vulnerable which it soon appears is not that easy for Lacey. However, from the early stages you get the sense that things aren't `quite right' at the University . There is an undercurrent to the writing which is very dark and gives you that ominous feeling. I also loved the fact that we are seeing the progression of the relationship between Lacey and her senior Joesbury.

At around the halfway mark I realised that never before has a title been so aptly named. I was Dead Scared! Not on the whole gory, violet and descriptive front. The worse kind...you know when the hairs stand up on the back of your neck type of fear. I raced through this and fluctuated between thinking I knew who was to blame and why and how, to knowing absolutely nothing. It was absolutely fantastic rollercoaster of a read that had me scared, thrilled and desperate to read more. I mean what more could a reader want? By the end I was chomping at the bit to get started on book 3, but resisted and am hoping to get to book 3 VERY soon. A great series that I would highly recommend.

One by One (Robert Hunter)
One by One (Robert Hunter)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... reading the previous books in this series I was pretty sure I knew what was coming in terms of ..., August 18, 2014
I have to say that after reading the previous books in this series I was pretty sure I knew what was coming in terms of the shock factor and gore. I was wrong! The opening of this book alone was enough to make my skin start crawling and the book only got more graphic and descriptive as time went on. I don't say this as a negative as in my opinion it adds to the fear factor which always gets my heart racing. That aside, people who aren't fans of this type of thing may not want to read this series.

Detective Robert Hunter of the Homicide Special Section is back and this time a killer like no other is out on the prowl. He calls Robert Hunter and asks for his help. All Robert has to do is choose Fire or water, a seemingly simple decision. However, when it becomes clear that the killer wants Robert to choose the victims method of death the story takes a serious and nasty turn.

The story starts to unravel and the killer becomes bolder with each victim and pretty soon the kills are being seen live on the internet. Hunters partner Garcia is a favourite of mine too and he becomes more involved than usual in this latest story. The plot is cleverly crafted and the suspense is at the highest I imagine you get with a book like this. The book takes you down a very dark and twisted road that layers plot threads as the story progresses. I found myself feeling every type of emotion possible when reading it.

In addition to the excellent writing and storyline Carter has created characters I care about. By the end of this book I felt my heart sink as repercussions for the next book could go either way. I am so pleased that I have managed to get up to speed with the series, meaning I can get ready for the next and most recent installment of the series, An Evil Mind which was released 31st July 2014.

The Death Sculptor Pa
The Death Sculptor Pa
by Chris Carter
15 used & new from $6.08

4.0 out of 5 stars but where's the fun in that, August 18, 2014
This review is from: The Death Sculptor Pa (Paperback)
I am on a roll with the Hunter series by Chris Carter and started this immediately after I finished the previous one. Having said all of that, these books can still be read stand alone, but where's the fun in that? The latest release starts with (in true Chris Carter style) a particularly gruesome and bloody scene. A student nurse finds her patient brutally murdered. By the time Robert Hunter and his colleague Carlos Garcia get there they realise that the calling card alone singles out this latest psychopath as somebody they need to catch...and quickly.

One thing that makes this series great is both Robert Hunter as well as the recurring characters we see. His partner Garcia is absolutely brilliant, and although he isn't as clever as Hunter (who is, the guy has a Mensa level IQ) he makes their pair complete. Throw the descriptive and sickening death scenes and you have yourself a classic Carter novel. The killer continues his killing spree and the case quickly becomes more and more complex.

These books have been an absolute pleasure to read and they continue going from strength to strength. This latest book didn't have quite the oomph that the last one did, but I guess you just tend to set the bar really high when you enjoy a series of books. The book was still a fantastic read and kept me turning the pages well into the night. Another corker from Mr Carter, and as usual I cannot wait so am moving straight onto the next book in the series `One by One'.

One Kick
One Kick

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, August 18, 2014
This review is from: One Kick (Kindle Edition)
I have been reading Chelsea Cain’s series featuring Archie and Gretchen and absolutely love it. However, I had a serious issue with the publishers and their release dates for the last in that series. The last book in the Archie/Gretchen series entitled Let Me Go was released late 2013. However as an avid Kindle reader, I didn't want to get a big bulky book for my commute. I decided to wait for the Kindle version, and believe it or not I’m still waiting!!! I was so annoyed to learn that the Kindle version wouldn't be released until over a year later?!? Because of that when I got the new Chelsea Cain book featuring a new character, I put it further down the list than usual out of principle! Of course after trying to convince myself that I was right, I relented and got started on the new one. All I can say is thank god I did!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20