Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Profile for Rita Mayberry > Reviews

Browse

Rita Mayberry's Profile

Customer Reviews: 547

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rita Mayberry "Rita" RSS Feed (Louisville, KY USA)
(VINE VOICE)

by Alan Bradley
Price: $20.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad Flavia is Back!, July 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Flavia is back, and at Buckshaw too! I am enthralled with Flavia's new maturity at the ripe old age of 12, and I am so glad she is back at Buckshaw after that tiresome sojourn in at Miss Bodecote's in Canada. She was excited to get home butt her homecoming is marred by her father's illness and the invasion of the tedious cousin Undine who seems to have usurped Flavia's spot in the household. Poor Flavia! But, murder is her saving grace as always.

Flavia de Luce is a precocious young chemist, the youngest of three daughters. Her mother died when she was just an infant, and she inherited her mother’s genius for things chemical. Her penchant for unraveling murders is but one of her many charms.

I loved this book. I am as big a fan of Shakespeare's Macbethian witches as I am of Flavia DeLuce, so I knew the Brinded Cat was mewing for me, and dove right in to this great adventure. It is so good to have Flavia zipping around on Gladys through the English countryside while sorting out a classic whodunit!

If you have yet to meet Flavia de Luce, please do yourself a favor and check her out. This is the eighth book in the series plus one stray short story featuring Flavia, and I am sure that if you start with this one, you will drop back to "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" and enjoy all of her adventures in and around the village of Bishop’s Lacy and her home at Buckshaw.

This isn't a children's book, but a wonderful cozy mystery for anyone who has ever felt out of place or lonely. Flavia's internal dialogue is priceless, and her interaction with her bullying sisters and now the unpleasant Undine weave in and out of the story to make this an easy and entertaining read. I am so glad to see Flavia again, and was sorry to reach the satisfactory resolution of the mystery with cliffhanger attached to reassure the Flavia fans like me that there will be a ninth in the series.

Motorola VerveLoop+ Super Light, Waterproof, Wireless Stereo Earbuds
Motorola VerveLoop+ Super Light, Waterproof, Wireless Stereo Earbuds
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Light is Right!, July 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Super light is right! Wow, these earbuds are almost completely unfelt once positioned in the ears. And, I love bluetooth earbuds. I had pretty much stopped using the ones attached by wire because, honestly, that wire is a dangling nuisance. So, I just quit using earbuds altogether for music or phone. I am not changing my wicked wicked ways. These things are sweat proof, comfortable, and work well. What is not to like. Charging is a snap, and I like that the charging location is on the little control panel and not on one of the buds. With the VerveLoop, Motorola has made me a believer in private music once more!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2016 4:09 PM PDT

The Foxfire Book of Simple Living: Celebrating Fifty Years of Listenin', Laughin', and Learnin'
by Inc. Foxfire Fund
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Fan of Foxfire!, July 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been a fan of Foxfire since the first books appeared, and this fiftieth anniversary book is an old friend revisited. It is filled with fascinating stories and instructions on how to perform traditional tasks, and brings some stories from the past up to date. The story about how the residents of Rabun County felt about the filming of "The Great Locomotive Chase" and "Deliverance" in their community was particularly interesting. I also found the articles about storytelling and music of great interest. Like all of the Foxfire books that came before, this is one you want on your bedside table to pick up and read bits at random. It is preserving the rich heritage of Appalachia in a positive manner, and is a joy to read.

The Orphan Master's Son: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
The Orphan Master's Son: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
by Adam Johnson
Price: $9.74
371 used & new from $0.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Keep You Thinking, July 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Part of the time you wonder if this is truly fiction. The horror of North Korea is so vividly portrayed that youmare sure it must be exactly how it is in that sad, shuttered country, Another part of the time, though, you wonder if Adam Johnson had really ever visited Texas. It seems one dimensional when Pak Jun Do travels there. This book's strong narrative carries the story through shifting narrative voices which is pretty tricky writing that this author manages deftly. He keeps you turning pages as you wonder how it all works out in the end. It is a satisfying read that will have you thinking about it long after you have finished the book.

Altec Lansing iMW255 Mini H2O Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
Altec Lansing iMW255 Mini H2O Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
8 used & new from $28.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Speaker!, July 4, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Charged up and synced this little jewel with ease, and have it playing the music collection on my phone as we sip drinks on the back porch watching the fourth of July rain and more rain. It fills the area nicely, and we are humming along to the clear tones of our favorite songs. We have used this little speaker throughout the weekend, outdoors in the porch swing out in the yard with the phone in on the porch, on the deck, and on the porch. It hasn't run down but I have put it on the charger when I charge up the phone in the evening. Easy and we do not miss the wires at all. Bluetooth is wonderful! As with all Altec Lansing speakers, the quality is there and the compact size and water resistance is a great plus for pool and beach season.

Thin Slices of Anxiety: Observations and Advice to Ease a Worried Mind
Thin Slices of Anxiety: Observations and Advice to Ease a Worried Mind
Price: $9.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Short, July 1, 2016
Cute, but way short for the price. Expected more.

Oreck Elevate Conquer Lightweight Upright Filtration Bag Vacuum, UK30300 - Corded
Price: $599.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive Cleaning!, June 29, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

In anticipation of its arrival, I had not vacuumed for a week so I was ready to give it a thorough test drive. (Did I mention we have two resident golden retrievers and we are in summer shedding season?)

The easy to find switch on the top of the handle made starting up easy, and with two speeds – one for floors and the other for carpet – it is easy to switch from one area to another. The very bright lights across the front deck make it easy to see what you need to pick up, and it really grabs things up, leaving clean carpet in its wake. And, it is self-propelled with 35-feet of power cord. You only need to tag along and sI have reached a point in my life when household appliances really don’t thrill me. They all seem to do the assigned job well enough and I have learned not to expect more. That is, I didn’t expect more before this Oreck Elevate Conquer Lightweight Upright Filtration Bag Vacuum, UK 30300, came into my life. This vacuum cleaner is head and shoulders beyond my expectations for a vacuum cleaner. It arrived with easy-to-follow instructions for assembly and operation, so getting up and running took all of five minutes elapsed time and most of that was spent getting it out of the carton in which it was carefully packed. I spent a few minutes reading through the manual that contains everything you need to know for day-to-day use and routine maintenance. There is a convenient zipper pouch on the back of the bag container in which to store the manual for future reference. If you have ever had to dig through file cabinets to find the instructions when you need to replace a belt or some such on a vacuum cleaner, you know how handy this will be. With assembly done and instructions read, we were ready to go.

The easy to find switch on the top of the handle made starting up easy, and with two speeds – one for floors and the other for carpet – it is easy to switch from one area to another. The very bright lights across the front deck make it easy to see what you need to pick up, and it really grabs things up, leaving clean carpet in its wake. And, it is self-propelled with 35-feet of power cord. You only need to tag along and steer, and maybe move to another electrical outlet as you make your way from room to room. It swivels in all of the right places to reach under the bed and behind the sofa, and you only need one pass to get everything you need to get.

On that first test drive, we filled up the one Saniseal bag that came with the machine, so that can attest to how thoroughly this Oreck collects the dirt, dust, and dog hair. We had to wait to acquire another bag for our second test drive, and did another full house pickup this morning. We filled another bag and the beater bar became thoroughly entangled with dog hair. The instructions explain how to remove the 7 small screws that hold the bottom plate in position, and take the beater bar out. Then it was 30 minutes with manicure scissors and tweezers to remove the long golden hairs from the bar. And then, of course, the plate must be reattached with all seven screws. In all honesty, seven screws is about four too many to ask of the average homeowner. I can see clogged bars and burned out belts a distinct possibility in homes where the owner just doesn’t want to go the distance to clean the bar. So, my recommendation is to check the bar after every vacuuming if you have long-haired pets or do a lot of sewing and have pieces of thread to be vacuumed up.

In spite of that, I am thrilled now with THIS household appliance. It has exceeded my expectations, and has really done the job I needed done, far better it seems than my previous vacuum cleaner.
I wish it had come with more than one of the super Saniseal bags that promise to contain dust, pollen, and whatever neatly indeed do just that, but one bag per vacuuming seems rather a lot to use. It took me a while to find the proper bags to purchase online, and when I did, (they were on Amazon, I just needed the right name to search for) I found them to be pretty pricey. These clean carpets and floors are going to run me about $6 a cleaning just for bags. I am sure the bags are also available at the Oreck store. Evidently this system comes with a one-year warranty and a free tune-up at that store, which is a neat plus as is the assurance that this vacuum cleaner is made in the USA.

This isn’t a cheap vacuum cleaner, and it is the first one in this tier of pricing that I have ever owned. It definitely makes a difference in performance to invest in this vacuum cleaner.

A Truck Full of Money
A Truck Full of Money
by Tracy Kidder
Price: $28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet a Nice Guy through Excellent Narrative!, June 28, 2016
This review is from: A Truck Full of Money (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Tracy Kidder is a wonderful writer. I have read most of his books, and find "A Truck Full of Money" to be up to his standard of excellence. And, what a subject! Paul English, the founder of Kayak.com is a really nice person. He is a genius, a clever entrepreneur, and a genuinely good man who has shared his blessings freely. Throughout his life, he has been enormously lucky, but clearly earned his wealth with hard work. Further, he has thoughtfully used the monetary blessings bestowed upon him to better the lives of many, choosing where contributions can do the most good. I hope, if my ship ever comes in, that I will be able to be as generous and selfless as Paul English has been. I am thrilled to have met him through Kidder's excellent narrative. I was sorry to see this book end. It is THAT good!

BLACK+DECKER 83351 Durable Titanium Nonstick Interior Fry Pan, 10", Granite
BLACK+DECKER 83351 Durable Titanium Nonstick Interior Fry Pan, 10", Granite
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Skillet, June 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Black and Decker skillet is an excellent one. It is exactly as described. It is heavy enough for stability but light enough to handle with ease. The cooking surface is DEFINITELY non-stick. Any residual material from cooking wipes out with the swipe of a paper towel before washing. I have washed it by hand because most not-stick surfaces lose their integrity in dishwashers, and this one is so easy to wash that using a machine to clean it would be an overkill. So far, it has managed scrambled eggs, onions and peppers, and stuffing for zucchini with reliable even heating and no sticking. As I said above, the cleanup is a snap, so what is there NOT to love with this pan?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20