Profile for Howie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 106

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Howie RSS Feed (Arkansas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Victor (22-5-65103-8) 104-Piece Covered Emergency Road Kit
Victor (22-5-65103-8) 104-Piece Covered Emergency Road Kit
Price: $42.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bag but the contents are "just OK" at best., September 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The carying case is nice and perhaps the best feature. That's a fairly sad statement on the contents. Most are either cheap or seemingly there to provide a higher "parts" count.

My impressions match many of the other negative reviews:

The tire sealant is not enough for most larger vehicles. The can states "Compact size" so I'd expect it to be mainly used to fill that "donut" spare in the trunk that's typically flat due to inattention. With a larger tire it *might* inflate enough to get you to a service station so it gets a reluctant pass.

The booster cables appear to be medium gauge and should work for most vehicles. Unlike one reviewer I didn't cut them to check the gauge but did slide back the protector where the cable attaches to the clip. It's certainly thicker than "speaker" cable but they are not heavy duty.

The screwdriver is a very cheap type that I'd expect it to warp/bend/break easily. The only good point is it is a reversible shaft type with both flat and phillips heads. Invest in a good one that has interchangeable bits, both flat and phillips of varying sizes.

The cable ties are pretty useless as most are *very* small. Certainly too small to actually use for temporary use in holding part of the car in place. At best they'd hold small wires/cables together. Get some longer, heavy duty ones, that can be used for holding larger parts together.

You can put together a better "medical kit" quite cheaply and should rotate those supplies out on a regular basis to avoid deterioration of adhesive, etc.

The "poncho" and blanket are the typical cheap ones you would get for the glove box. They'll do in a pinch. The "blanket" (actually looks to be a larger piece of felt) could be useful to put on the ground to help keep clothes clean if working under the vehicle. Make sure to put the poncho in your glove box so it'll be in a handy place if needed.

The gloves are rather thin and cheap. They appear to be there solely to help keep your hands clean and provide a bit of basic protection. For that, I'm sure they'd be OK but the pair in my kit have several manufacturing defects (one has a small hole).

The bungee cord is only 2" in length and there's only *one*! I carry several sizes and a few of each size.

I've not tested the inflator but it, too, appears to be a bit on the cheap side. The hose from the device to a tire is far too short. If the valve stem winds up anywhere but other than at the bottom this will be dangling and possibly putting stress on parts. It's a screw-on type which may be a deal breaker for some. Keep it at home and use it for bike tires, basketballs, etc. as it *does* come with those adapters. Get a better one for the car.

The flashlight is a basic, no frills type you can pick up for a buck or two at most dollar stores. It *does* have a bright light but expect similar performance and longivity. Forget about the included batteries - they're generic "heavy duty" batteries. Dump them for brand name alkalines for better performance and don't forget to swap them out on occasion.

The "Help" sign will be useful at least once, assuming the adhesive will stick when you need it and your window is dry. This should have had suction cups but instead has 2 pull-off stips with double-sided tape to stick the sign to the window.

So... I'll keep the bag and fill it with quality products I can actually count on in a emergency.

Swingline Commercial Electric 3 Hole Punch, 8.5 Inch Centers, 28 Sheets (74535)
Swingline Commercial Electric 3 Hole Punch, 8.5 Inch Centers, 28 Sheets (74535)
Price: Click here to see our price
44 used & new from $100.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hole punch!, May 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Yes, it's heavy - but that's good as it's *not* going anywhere! It's also a bit large - it's not something you'll put away between uses so find some counter space.

I was a bit surprised at the requirement to stop for a bit after 3 full load (29 pages) sequences but that's not really a deal breaker. It works so quickly you really want to do lots of bulk processing so this requirement causes you to slow down a bit.

It's *fast* (a second or less) and quiet. There's only a small amount of motor noise while the punch moves along the track with a slight "thunk" at each hole.

The "chip" holder appears to be rather small but holds a surprising amount of waste paper.

The most important thing is it makes *clean* holes with the proper spacing for a 3 ring notebook. I tried 1 page up to 28 and all came out with clean holes that were properly spaced.

Overall, a very good product with a good warranty. Recommended.

Planet Of Storms (Planeta Bur)
Planet Of Storms (Planeta Bur)
DVD ~ Vladimir Yemelyanov
Offered by Video Dimensions
Price: $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film *BUT* it's a DVD-R!, April 12, 2014
First the bad news:

I knocked a star off because the product I received is a DVD-R and *not* a "pressed" copy. This is *not* indicated in the product information and can be a deal-breaker for some. Video Dimensions needs to be upfront and modify the listing to indicate the media type used.

There are a few mispellings and odd use of English in the subtitles on a few instances but it's nothing major.

Now the good:

It *is* a excellent copy with sharp, clear video and good audio.

Subtitles can be displayed in either yellow or white.

In spite of being a DVD-R I still recommend this disc, especially if you're a fan of the US edit jobs or European SF films.

Tekwar
Tekwar
DVD ~ Greg Evigan
Price: $39.98
14 used & new from $19.98

4.0 out of 5 stars There are *TWO* releases! Be careful!!, April 11, 2014
This review is from: Tekwar (DVD)
The product here: Tekwar is the Image Entertainment release from 2008 and *only* contains the 18 episodes of the series proper. It does *NOT* contain the first 4 movies. If that's what you want, order this. (I posted this review on that page as it seems to have the most confusion about the 2 releases)

The product here: Tekwar: The Complete Series is the Alliance Entertainment Canadian 7 disc release from 2011 which contains the 4 movies (billed as "the original 4 part pilot") as well as the 18 episodes of the series proper. Alliance licensed the cover art from Image which causes confusion with the releases. It is the preferred release and the one I ordered.

OXO Good Grips Toilet Brush & Canister Set
OXO Good Grips Toilet Brush & Canister Set
Price: $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little brush, April 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It also looks nicer than other designs while being easier to remove the brush for use. The brush comes out of the holder easily and does a good job of cleaining. The circular brush design makes the job a bit easier, especially getting under the rim. The bristles are stiff enough to work on stubborn stains without damaging the finish and the head bends easily enough but returns to position quickly. The rubber section is a nice addition for tapping against the bowl to remove excess water before returning the unit to the holder. Overall, a nice unit. I'll be adding this one to the other bathrooms in the house.

Lipton Tea & Honey Iced Tea Mix, Tropical Mango Liquid 2.43 oz
Lipton Tea & Honey Iced Tea Mix, Tropical Mango Liquid 2.43 oz
Price: $3.49
7 used & new from $3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the peach varity but still OK., February 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoy a glass of flavored tea on occasion so thought I'd give this product a try. I like the Lipton brand powder pour-in teas so figured this one would also be fairly good. It is but suffers from many of the same issues as the powder variety. Like the powder it has a slight instant tea flavor (which I do *not* care for) and there is a slight after taste from the artificial sweetener (Sucralose). I'd expected less of a after taste since honey *is* the first ingredient listed. It *does* have a nice mango flavor that does not overpower the tea but unlike other flavors the after taste sort of ruins this for me. We decided the peach flavor version is just a bit better and you do not notice the after taste quite as much.

I was curious about the directions to use "one squeeze" in a 8 ounce glass of water as a "squeeze" can be very subjective. It's actually quite natural with the product and I'd guess almost anyone would get roughly the recommended amount in a single squeeze without trying. It mixes almost instantly in the glass and looks as if it requires no stirring to fully incorporate. I *did* stir the first samples I made but don't think it was truly needed, however I used cold water with no ice in the glass.

Overall it's basically a different configuration of the powders that would be far easier to use in restaurants or other situations where a open glass is used as it requires little to no mixing once the liquid has been squeezed into the glass. It looks to be a bit more difficult to use with a bottle of water than the powder pour-ins but not so much as to be prohibitive.

Now if they'd just make some of these with Green Tea...

Lipton Tea & Honey Iced Tea Mix, Summer Peach Liquid 2.43 oz
Lipton Tea & Honey Iced Tea Mix, Summer Peach Liquid 2.43 oz
Price: $3.48
7 used & new from $3.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad., February 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoy a glass of peach tea on occasion so thought I'd give this product a try. I like the Lipton brand powder pour-in teas so figured this one would also be fairly good. It is but suffers from many of the same issues as the powder variety. Like the powder it has a slight instant tea flavor (which I do *not* care for) and there is a slight after taste from the artificial sweetener (Sucralose). I'd expected less of a after taste since honey *is* the first ingredient listed.

Now if they'd just make some of these with Green Tea...

Hills Bros Cappuccino Mocha Mint, 15 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Hills Bros Cappuccino Mocha Mint, 15 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Price: $21.72
5 used & new from $21.72

3.0 out of 5 stars I had high hopes but..., February 25, 2014
the small bits of peppermint in the mix make this product less than it could be. The flavor is good but those bits of pepperming are a royal pain. They are large enough that a normal quick stir after adding hot water will leave a sticky mess in the bottom of your cup. To get the chips to fully dissolve you must use hotter water than normal *and* stir the liquid for at least 30-60 seconds. After making 4 cups I put the rest of the container through a fine mesh sieve to remove the peppermint chips. While the resulting cup of cappuccino had less of a mint flavor I didn't have to deal with the mess of the chips. If they change the formula to use peppermint oil *or* grind the chips to dust so they incorporate better I'll purchase the product again, otherwise this one is off the shopping list.

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, 5 Pound
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, 5 Pound
Offered by HTC Supplies
Price: $19.99
10 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there any other?, February 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In my house, that answer is "no." I grew up with Arm & Hammer and it's still the only brand of baking soda we use. As the package says "Over 101 cleaning uses" as well as uses for baking. It helps keep your stainless, sinks, tubs, showers, teeth, and more clean. We also use it with kosher salt for a home-made nasal wash which surpasses anything you can purchase.

Physicianscare Adhesive Bandages, Sheer and Clear, Assorted Sizes, 280 Count
Physicianscare Adhesive Bandages, Sheer and Clear, Assorted Sizes, 280 Count
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and good assortment but a issue appeared..., February 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like many Variety Packs of bandages you get many of sizes you'll rarely use and that's no exception here as the package includes 30 of the "Spot" type that my family rarely uses. However, the rest are in the most used sizes and the bandages are very good quality. I'd easily rank them with BandAid brand for how well they stay on and protect. I tried one of the "Spot" bandages on a finger, placing it on a joint where many tend to fail/come loose. It stayed on very well, possibly longer than the comparable BandAid version.

**EDIT**

I have to change my recommendation for these. I'm not typically bothered or allergic to bandages, although I do have somewhat sensitive skin, but after using one of these for a few days for a cut on my leg I had a *huge* red/sore spot appear directly under the taped areas. At first I thought it was simply because I left the bandage on for several days but when the redness refused to go away even though the cut was healing I replaced the Physicianscare brand with a BaindAid brand bandage. The irritation went away but the redness from the Physicanscare bandage persisted for over a month! I tossed the box and will not be purchasing these again.

If you have sensitive skin - beware!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11