Profile for bettylion > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 104

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bettylion RSS Feed (new england)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Safari Professional Large Nail Trimmer For Dogs
Safari Professional Large Nail Trimmer For Dogs
Price: $8.61
30 used & new from $8.39

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure these are fine for what they are, September 11, 2014
I'm sure these are fine for what they are; they seem well made. But you really ought to know what you're doing if you're trimming dog nails. I thought I was practicing extreme caution and only taking off a smidge of my dog's black nails; nope, I got him. I felt so bad and swore off doing them myself.

But when I brought him to a groomer, they also only took off tiny amounts because you can't see the quick in black nails. So his nails were always overgrown.

Also I read that even if you don't hit the quick, the nail trimmers are uncomfortable for the dog because it ends up SQUEEZING the whole nail before it clips, and it's putting a lot of pressure on the quick regardless.

I ended up buying the pet Dremel tool and I am sooo much happier with it. I was able to gradually take back the nails, little by little, without pain or suffering. My dogs look forward to trimming time now because it never hurts and they get treats. Wish I bought it a long time ago. Sure saved a ton of money on getting it done at the a groomer's.

Nature's Way Alive Adult Multi-Vitamin Gummies, 90 Count
Nature's Way Alive Adult Multi-Vitamin Gummies, 90 Count
Price: $11.19
47 used & new from $9.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty tasty, September 11, 2014
The first taste of these was a little weird... they are made with pectin, not animal products, so they are a little different in texture than other gummies I've had. But not bad at all. Very tasty. I look forward to taking my vitamins.

Intrepid International Horse Wash Kit, Pink
Intrepid International Horse Wash Kit, Pink
Price: $13.49
4 used & new from $11.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute set, good value, September 11, 2014
Cute! I needed just the sweat scraper but saw this kit and went for it, since I never seem to have a big sponge when needed, plus I like the jelly curry for everyday (sensitive TB).

Dremel 7300-PT 4.8-Volt Pet Grooming Kit
Dremel 7300-PT 4.8-Volt Pet Grooming Kit
Price: $24.97
5 used & new from $24.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I get this sooner???, September 11, 2014
My dogs nails have always been an issue because I'm too afraid to clip them myself, and in my area I can't find anyone who will do just nails at a reasonable price. They want $15 per dog (I have two), unless I'm getting other grooming services (which I really don't need.)

This dremel tool is great!!! Wish I had gotten it a long time ago!

I'm sure it is not as powerful as a real dremel but the power and battery life is fine for me and my two Lab mixes. I use the lower setting on one dog, and the higher setting on the dog with very thick, hard, black nails.

The great thing about this is that, unless you're being sort of negligent, you aren't going to cause your pet pain or bleeding. It's a gradual trimming, and the dog will pull back if you're starting to get into a slightly sensitive area. I use a flashlight to better see where the quick is on the dog with clear nails. The dog with black nails, you can start to see when you are getting closer when you see a white dot or white crescent appear in the nail. I watched every youtube video on trimming I could and just took it slow in the beginning.

If you trim the nails often, the quick will actually start to recede, so nails can get shorter over time. My dogs nails were a little overgrown. I was careful, and it took me several weeks of doing the nails almost every day before I stopped hearing clicking on the floor. I know my dogs are a lot more comfortable now.

I introduced them to this slowly. I didn't just go right to grinding. First I turned it on and just touched the body of the tool to their feet, so they could feel it vibrated. I did this several times over a couple of days, while treating. I taught them to get up on the couch for this. Soon they were jumping right into position whenever they heard this tool turn on. Then I started manipulating each toe while touching the body of the tool to each toe. Then I starting touching the rotating head to each nail just for a second. Go slowly and be patient and make it a very positive experience and you will be rewarded with dogs who actually look forward to trimming time!

DT Works Harness, Blind Dog, Black/White, Medium - Fits Girth Size: 28-Inch to 38-Inch
Price: $59.95
4 used & new from $55.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I got this. Quality harness., September 11, 2014
Nice harness. The name tag part is removable, it attaches with strong velcro, and you can order other stuff to go on the sides. The harness itself is well made, the handle is handy (although I wish it stood upright on its own) and the reflective material is very reflective. My dog has a tendency to pull but he walked politely in this from day one, which was surprising. I think he likes the secure feeling it gives him.

The best part is that the BLIND DOG signs have really helped us while out walking. We have a walking/bike trail and frequently pass other people with dogs. Since my dog has lost his eyesight he no longer likes other dogs coming up to him. He can't read their body language, so he decides to take the offensive and bark aggressively if they get too close. I move as far over on the trail as possible and sometimes stop to let people pass. People can be incredibly dumb and don't seem to be able to recognize that I'm trying to GET AWAY from you and your dogs. They'll just let their dogs come right up ("Oh don't worry he's friendly." Well what if my dog is NOT friendly?! Grrr!) Anyways, since getting this, people will sometimes start to let their dogs come up to us and then read the sign and back off. It makes the interaction a lot less awkward then saying "please keep your dog away, my dog isn't friendly".

Vet thinks it's great too.

It was pricey for a harness but I couldn't find anything else like it and I'm glad I have it.

Ariat Paddock Boot Laces Black
Ariat Paddock Boot Laces Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Usually Ariat stuff is great but I have gone through two pairs of these ..., September 11, 2014
This review is from: Ariat® Paddock Boot Laces (Misc.)
Usually Ariat stuff is great but I have gone through two pairs of these laces and they bust in no time. The outer layer is a sort of waxed stuff and it breaks and reveals some thin threads underneath. It's so annoying. I would have been better off getting laces at the dollar store or something.

Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo series)
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo series)
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable stories, looking forward to more., July 27, 2014
I kept hearing about "Wool" so I had to see what it was all about. It's an easy read, not boring, interesting concept. This is a series, and the author is supposed to be writing more installments. So if you purchase this specific item, Wool 1-5, it is not yet complete: the story has an "ending" but is open to continuing. I did enjoy these: they are simply interesting storytelling, not trying hard to be too literary, but miles ahead of the usual sludge that is self-publishing. Just good storytelling and enjoyable reading. If I had one complaint, I wish the author was a little heavier on description rather than dialogue, because sometimes I felt there wasn't enough information to really paint a picture in my mind.

Coyote Walks on Two Legs: A Book of Navajo Myths and Legends
Coyote Walks on Two Legs: A Book of Navajo Myths and Legends
by Gerald Hausman
49 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated, July 27, 2014
I stumbled across this book after reading a couple of folklore stories about "actual" sightings of coyotes walking on two legs. :) I ended up ordering it because I am interested in children's literature and illustration as well as Native American folklore. It is a large book and the illustrations are really beautiful. A nice addition to a children's book collection.

Living With Blind Dogs: A Resource Book and Training Guide for the Owners of Blind and Low-Vision Dogs,  Second Edition
Living With Blind Dogs: A Resource Book and Training Guide for the Owners of Blind and Low-Vision Dogs, Second Edition
by Caroline D. Levin
Price: $26.96
35 used & new from $17.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A good resource, but so is Google., July 27, 2014
I recently found out my Lab mix is nearly totally blind. We didn't know his eyesight was degenerating until he started bumping into things. It's hereditary and there's no treatment. The veterinary eye specialist sent us home with a lot of recommendations for resources, and this book was one of them.

I couldn't wait for this book to arrive, thinking it would have tons of great information on how to help my dog. I was disappointed to find that it didn't contain any useful information (for our situation personally) that I wasn't able to find online, for free, the day I learned my dog was blind. Coupled with the fact that this is a pricey paperback, I'm not all that happy with my purchase. It's not the book's fault that it was written before the internet, but, for me it was kind of a waste.

I would still recommend buying this book if you have a blind dog and are committed to helping your pet as much as possible, because there may be information in here that pertains to you and is useful, and if not, you could probably sell it. Given that it's expensive, I'm hoping it has some good trade in value through Amazon.

Planet Dog Orbee Tuff Luna Cosmos Dog Toy, Glow
Planet Dog Orbee Tuff Luna Cosmos Dog Toy, Glow
Price: $14.62
11 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for my nearly blind dog!, July 27, 2014
My dog (a Lab) has been totally obsessed with Skyballs for years, but I recently found out that he's lost nearly all of his eyesight. Sometimes he has trouble finding the Skyball after I toss it.

This ball has helped my blind dog because 1.) It makes a louder, echoing sound when it bounces, making it easier for him to find it by sound, and 2.) if he can't find it by sound, he is able to locate it quickly by smell, because it is strongly mint scented. 3.) it's the same size as the skyball so he's happy with that - he doesn't like balls that are bigger or smaller. This one is just right.

Plus, it glows in the dark! Not that my dog can see it, but it might help me locate it sometimes.

My only complaint is that I wish they made this in different colors. I can foresee this getting lost in the winter when everything is white.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11