Profile for S.N. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S.N. RSS Feed

L'Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup, Porcelain/Light Ivory, 1.0 Ounces
Price: $9.39
7 used & new from $3.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely an improvement, May 8, 2013
I've been a dedicated user of Clinique's Acne Solutions liquid foundation for years, with the idea that "Acne Solutions" meant that it was the only foundation I could possibly ever use without turning into a zit-monster. The problem is that I have an unhappy combination of flaky-dry skin and deeply oily patches--Clinique's foundation worked okay on the oily bits but was ruinous on the flaky sections, and was actually so impossible that I spent the better part of two years mixing it with my daily moisturizer just to make it workable. (Should have been a red flag, I know, I know.)

I switched to L'Oreal's Lumi foundation thinking I could just return it if it turned out to be truly awful, and if it did work, it was far (far, far) cheaper than Clinique, which would make my pocket book happy. I'm glad I did, too, because this stuff is wonderful. It glides onto my skin, blends beautifully, and works with my dry patches instead of against them. I do get a bit oilier in the evenings than I did before, but that's because this isn't an anti-shine foundation, so finishing powder is a must, but that's a molehill compared to the mountain that was I'm Not Shedding My Skin Like A Snake I Swear.

Not only is this cheaper than my former go-to foundation, but I use far less of it (only one squirt!) and though I've been at it for a month I've barely put a dent in the bottle. And, I'm happy to say, my skin--which is ultra-sensitive and likes to take revenge for things like resting my chin in my hands--didn't react at all. There wasn't even a slight increase in breakouts after the switch and, if anything, my skin evened out more. And true to the name, it really does give you a clean, bright face, a perfect base for whatever look you're going for--and excellent if you're the "no-make-up make up" sort, as this stuff is all but invisible when blended with a big foundation brush.

All-in-all, a really great product--would have gotten 5 stars if I didn't have the Oily Afternoon Syndrome, but that's life!

Neutrogena OntheSpot Acne Treatment, Vanishing Formula, 0.75 Ounce
Neutrogena OntheSpot Acne Treatment, Vanishing Formula, 0.75 Ounce
Offered by UNPLUGGED
Price: $6.02
27 used & new from $6.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what you need it to, May 8, 2013
I have moderate-to-severe acne, depending on what direction the wind blows, and have run the gamut of acne medications--everything from the morbidly expensive to the worryingly cheap. I found myself using alcohol-based benzoyl peroxide face pads (of varying strengths) in the morning and 10% benzoyl peroxide cream at night, and blazing through bottles of moisturizer to manage it, because the endless medication did nothing but turn my face red and irritate it into a dry, flaky mess. The legend goes that if you withstand this long enough, it'll go away and your face will transform into clear, wonderful skin--and then two years had passed and I realized I wasn't ever going to reach that dermatological paradise.

I decided to go the opposite direction, because I obviously wasn't getting anywhere with the nuke-the-zits route, and I wasn't about to try prescription methods that (among other things) can seriously damage your liver. I switched to an extremely gentle daily cleanser twice daily (Extra Gentle Cleanser by Neutrogena) and was astonished to see nearly all my surface whiteheads disappear, and my blackheads begin to vanish--but my cystic acne didn't decrease, and I still had the occasional breakout. Having learned, however, that my skin far preferred gentle over harsh, I did my due diligence and found that the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide had the same effectiveness as the 10% with half the irritation--perfect, and exactly what I needed, but I went into a bit of a panic over the idea of medicating my skin again and so mixed it half-and-half with my Neutrogena Combination Skin moisturizer and applied a small amount all over my face. It worked like a charm. I was able to slowly up the dosage and even add a little to my morning moisturizer, and I'm pleased to say that my skin is never over-dry, over-oily, flaky, red, irritated, tight, or otherwise unhappy. Instead of a mass of ugly, I now only have the occasional breakout, to the tune of three or four zits (which, considering where I came from, is a true miracle) and my blackheads have almost completely vanished.

Yikes, I sound like a Neutrogena commercial. I arrived at this daily routine through trial-and-error, actually, and it says more about Neutrogena than my taste in brands that I ended up with a whole line of Neutrogena skincare on my counter. It helps, too, to know exactly what your skin needs, something that used to be a foreign concept to me, as I generally thought skin was skin and acne medication worked the same on everybody. Thankfully Neutrogena has a whole slew of products tailored for every skin type, from dry to combination to oily, so while I won't promise my routine will work the same for you, you at least stand the chance of finding what works best on your own face. (And keep in mind that some skin types take issue with certain ingredients, so Neutrogena might be the last thing your face wants--like I said, trial-and-error.)

This product is definitely an integral part to my routine, though, and while I'd advise using it sparingly and gently until you figure out exactly how your face will react, it's definitely a good investment if only for the occasional spot treatment.

Red Dawn (2012)
Red Dawn (2012)
DVD
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't think about it too hard., March 14, 2013
Red Dawn is most emphatically not, in any sense of the word, an "intelligent" film. There are holes the likes of which Texas could pass through, and the sheer number of characters belied whatever efforts the film might have made in giving them actual depth. That said, it wasn't awful--I enjoyed it, for what it was, and so long as you don't go into it looking for flaws, you could probably say the same.

The most jarring aspects of the film, actually, had less to do with the script and more to do with Josh Peck. There wasn't a moment he was on screen but that I was instantly yanked from scope of the film, and found myself thinking, "Gee, couldn't he have taken some acting lessons?" Even the sound of his voice started to get to me. Chris Hemsworth was wonderful (of course) and more or less carried the movie on his own; I believed what his character said and felt, and genuinely rooted for him. I didn't so much watch the movie as I watched him. -spoiler- Killing him off at the end effectively killed my emotional attachment to the movie, and if the movie had gone on much longer I probably would have turned it off. The idea of Josh Peck's character as the new leader was laughable--dumb as a box of tacks, a solo artist without the slightest regard for others (unless it's his girlfriend, who, let's be frank, changes absolutely nothing once she does reappear, except that now his schmucky attitude has no grounds) and, apparently, zero ability to shoot straight--how many bullets did he fire off at the N. Korean soldiers in the police department before he actually hit one?

Walter Dean Myers was a smart addition to the cast list--and was subsequently wasted entirely. He had absolutely no point, except to represent the aging military retiree quotient, and possibly the new-world ideal of Free America's Military Strength. He's capable of a lot more, though, and with Chris Hemsworth alongside, they could have rocked the house. Instead he was a third-tier character in a plot composed almost entirely of third-tier characters, and I was left wondering why they'd introduced them at all, except to deliver intelligence that the box was somehow important. (There's a word for that, and it's called a MacGuffin.)

If you enjoy action flicks, but aren't looking to think too hard about it, this movie will satisfy your rainy-day needs. I'd rent it--this isn't a movie to buy or even to rewatch with any great frequency. Save yourself the cash.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2013 7:12 AM PDT

Samsung Galaxy S III 4G Android Phone, White 32GB (Verizon Wireless)
Samsung Galaxy S III 4G Android Phone, White 32GB (Verizon Wireless)
6 used & new from $159.77

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING phone, September 21, 2012
It was time for an upgrade and I figured I'd upgrade as high as I could go, and for that reason made a gamble and preordered this phone. I've had it since July, which is more than enough time for the various glitches to make themselves known--except that there aren't any. This phone is every bit as powerful as I'd hoped, and I'm not sorry I sprung for the extra memory, either, as I've loaded mine to the brim with music. (I'd originally had no intentions of doing so, but it goes to show you, it's better to be prepared.)

The screen is clear and crisp--people who handle my phone for the first time are always impressed. There's zero lagging, and the only problems I've ever had are app-related rather than phone-related. The design is wonderful, too; people will randomly stop me in the store and ask what phone I have. Now that it's been available for a while, the questions have now become "is that a Galaxy S III??"

I have this thing in a case and screen protector 24/7, because I'm absolutely in love with it and there's no way I'm getting scratches. If I wasn't a fan of Samsung before, I certainly am now.

Mini Ninjas - Playstation 3
Mini Ninjas - Playstation 3
Offered by STEVENGKEYPORT
Price: $26.00
48 used & new from $14.50

4.0 out of 5 stars A total blast!, May 17, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I enjoy games with a lot of high adventure and epic story lines, but the downside is that they also come with hours and hours and HOURS of game play, and they're frequently so frustrating that I can't remember why I'm playing it anymore. Sometimes I like to stop agonizing over the games and just ... chill. Mini Ninjas is absolutely one of my favorite games; it's not hugely difficult, there's no moment where my stress level hits the roof, and it's so ridiculously cute that half the time I'm smiling. I beat it and I restart it and do it all over again. It's one of a very few games that I haven't traded back. I call it my Therapy Game.

If you're looking for gory, intense, edge-of-your-seat games that feature high stakes and gritty story lines, you are so in the wrong place. This game is made to be fun -- and that's it. The story line for Mini Ninjas is about as simple as you can get without eliminating it altogether, and button mashing will serve you as well as anything else when you're in a crowd of samurai henchmen. The spells you can collect as you go do add some nice variety. You get some pretty cool ninja-moves as well, running up walls and toeing ropes hundreds of feet in the air. (And, for the record, the ghosts still give me the heebie-jeebies. The sound they make!!) The bosses are as simple as everything else in this game, which was actually something I was looking for when I bought it; it was finals week and I didn't have the energy to deal with Final Fantasy-style bosses.

It's a great game, and so much more fun than it should be. I'll play it for hours and never realize how much time has passed. It's a game for all age ranges, and somehow never gets boring. 5 stars for fun; 4 stars overall for skimping on the story line.

uni-ball Gelstick Gel Ink Pens, 12 Black Ink Pens(69054)
uni-ball Gelstick Gel Ink Pens, 12 Black Ink Pens(69054)
Price: $5.91
20 used & new from $5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pen, August 23, 2011
I've been using the Stylo gelstick for years, and I love it. It's absolutely the best pen I've ever had. I regularly use them until they're empty and have to replace them -- not common for me, as I get irritated with the way my pens write and end up letting them rot in a pile. In my area they're hard to find, which makes them all the more wonderful when I do find them. They write wonderfully, better than anything else I've used, and the ink never goes through the paper, a common problem I've had when taking notes at top speed with gelsticks. The only possible complaint I could have is that eventually they run out of ink. ;)