Profile for Love Historical Fiction > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 123

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Love Historical Fiction "Gary" RSS Feed (Boston, MA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean • Roncesvalles • Santiago (Camino Guides)
by John Brierley
14 used & new from $55.42

5.0 out of 5 stars I believe this book is a must for anyone attempting this wonderful trek., March 22, 2015
I plan on walking The Camino this summer; the entire route. I am not at all apprehensive, but wanted to give myself an idea as to what I was getting myself into. Although I have no other resource to compare, I am enlightened by the detail this small book goes into: hostels, distances for each leg of the trip, what to bring, pilgrim reflections, how to physically prepare. It is all here. If I had one complaint, it would be to increase the amount of pictures. However, I do want it to be my experience and not someone else's. I believe this book is a must for anyone attempting this wonderful trek.

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett
Price: $6.16
213 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a fine wine, February 28, 2015
Like a fine wine, you will find yourself savoring this novel. The entire cast of characters are described in vivid detail; so real, you become an inhabitant of 12th century England. There are not many works of this length, you can put down for a few days, come back, and not miss a thrilling beat. Ultimately, this read is about good vs evil. I won't tell you which wins, that's up to you to discover. I found it so interesting that details, within this novel, that appear to describe a fantasy land, were actually played out among citizens of localities during this time period: walking through mud, contaminated with excrement, in bare feet, literally working your fingers until they bled, freezing to death during the height of winter being a daily occurrence. Follow several generations of a family, along with their hardships, as participants attempt to construct one of the greatest world's cathedrals. 5 stars

Amazon Gift Card - Upload Your Photo - Holiday
Amazon Gift Card - Upload Your Photo - Holiday
Price: $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a fun and efficacious means to deliver a gift that has ..., January 20, 2015
This was a fun and efficacious means to deliver a gift that has endless supply of gifts to choose from. I'm sold

Black Cross
Black Cross
by Greg Iles
Price: $9.99
297 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Unrealistic, December 28, 2014
This review is from: Black Cross (Paperback)
The premise of this book is fine; two men are sent into a secret Nazi death camp during WWII to perform two functions: first, to discover the process by which a mad doctor is creating a deadly nerve gas, and secondly, to then destroy the camp. The historical significance is worth reading about. It is the action parts during the last 200 pages or so that are a little hard to take. In addition of being a little hard to follow, it's also unrealistic. Too many superhero actions that just would not have occurred.

A Prisoner of Birth
A Prisoner of Birth
by Jeffrey Archer
Price: $9.35
271 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I am surprised because I read the first novel in the Chronicle series and it was great. Just need some time to regroup I guess, December 6, 2014
So unrealistic, I do not know if I can read another of this guy's books. I was about half way through when a development occurs that is so unrealistic, it just turned me off. This has never happened to me before. I am sorry but it was utterly absurd. There is a possibility I misinterpreted what I read; however, I do not think so. I am surprised because I read the first novel in the Chronicle series and it was great. Just need some time to regroup I guess. I will give it one star based on the fact it was great up to the aforementioned part.

Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy
Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy
by Ken Follett
Price: $5.49
216 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Historical Fiction, September 29, 2014
At nearly 1000 pages this novel closely follows the lives of 5 families during the period of World War 1. I found the novel, for the most part, fast moving and well written. Characters, regardless of their social position during peacetime, find themselves fighting together in battles, both on and off the field. In a period of 5 years, the political structure which historically divided men and women, begins to dramatically shift as the novel unfolds. You'll like the book

Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles)
Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles)
by Jeffrey Archer
Price: $8.99
202 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great, feel good, novel, August 7, 2014
I love this story and have found a new favorite author in the process. This novel, taking place in Bristol England, during the 20's and 30's, illustrates how people's lives are inadvertently enriched, while assisting those in need. Harry Clifton, a poor, 5 - 6 year old, whose only interest is to follow his uncle into a life working on the docks, finds solace and hope upon meeting an elderly gentleman, with a somewhat hidden past. This novel is well written, offering the reader a glimpse of early England, through the eyes of both poor and rich subjects. You will definitely want to read the first sequel upon finishing this story. (5 stars)

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
Price: $7.66
542 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, July 28, 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
This will keep you glued to your seat. Fast paced and well written. There was one big flaw I found that I cannot get into as it may give something away. There were however, many twists and turns, making this a well recommended book.

The House of God
The House of God
by Samuel Shem
Price: $8.84
105 used & new from $4.26

4.0 out of 5 stars I think it was a great book., July 9, 2014
This review is from: The House of God (Paperback)
First and foremost, I do not work in the medical profession. That being said, I really can't corroborate if the scenarios described in the book are accurate or not. What I have been told by some MD's however, is that training can be hell. I would imagine that despite all the interactions, internship could be a lonely experience. I believe one significant theme of this book deals with introspection: many of the "terns" did not really have a clue as to whether this is really what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives. As for the critics, remember this novel is written by a guy from a different generation: different values, ideologies, etc. I think it was a great book.

Natchez Burning: A Novel (Penn Cage Novels)
Natchez Burning: A Novel (Penn Cage Novels)
by Greg Iles
Price: $18.89
179 used & new from $2.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls short but still OK, June 20, 2014
I was a big fan of Greg Iles. In fact, one of my favorite books is "The Quiet Game." The words flowed across the pages. But then, it's almost like he began to go Hollywood, as if he was trying to write to the masses rather than what he felt. I must admit, for the most part, I believed he got his groove back with this book; at least for 3/4 of the novel. What remains however are unrealistic scenes played by unrealistic characters. It almost appears as if it were a script written for teenagers sitting in a B movie. I'm sorry I have to be so critical but I want to remain truthful:

Historical Interest - 100%
Plot - 100%
Characters - 70%
Believable Scenes - 50%

But hey, from what I understand, this is Mr. Iles' first book in many years. It wasn't bad. I will definitely buy the sequel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13