Profile for T. le > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. le RSS Feed (Bay Area, California)

The Help
The Help
by Kathryn Stockett
Price: $20.25
1648 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars agreed - an instant classic and absolute page turner, January 11, 2010
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I was hooked on the story from the first page. I only briefly skimmed over the book description and started the novel without any idea of what it was really about. its rare when you come to care for all of the characters in a story but that's exactly what the Help did. whenever the points of view of the story changed, I was always eager to find out what happened next.

I wont go into the details of the book but if you love women's literature and anything related to the civil rights era, this book is for you.

simply a beautiful story thats hard to put down. recommended reading for all. i won't be surprised if this book is made into a movie very soon.

Beautiful Creatures
Beautiful Creatures
by Kami Garcia
Price: $17.99
306 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars simply a colossal waste of time, January 11, 2010
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures (Hardcover)
I started reading Beautiful Creatures after seeing all of the glowing reviews on Amazon.com. Now that I look back at the glowing reviews, the fact that most of them are 1 sentence long looks very suspect.

The book is very slow and requires the patience of a saint, yet I kept trucking on. I am now halfway through the book and I'm still waiting for the real action to start. There's a lot of characters in the book but none of them are very well developed. The authors do a poor job of capturing the intimacy/love between the main character + Lena, I get that they are destined for another and whatnot, but I could care less for them + the people in their lives. I think the authors spent too much time on meaningless dialogue that drags on and on instead of focusing on developing the characters and giving us a reason to care for them.

I was also a little put off by the "southern dialects" used in the book, it seemed like the authors lack knowledge about the South and its linguistics and compensated for this by making up what they thought Southerners talked like + acted like. The setting of the story was not authentic at all + i think the authors should have done more research before making the South an integral part of the storyline.

I also found it cheesy that the book makes comparisons to "To Kill a Mockingbird" It was hard to not roll my eyes when I found the authors comparing Macon to Boo Radley and also had a dog by the same name.

It might have taken two people to write this book but Beautiful Creatures is no where near the likes of To Kill a Mockingbird, nor is it worthy of comparison to Twilight, a poorly written novel but infinitely more interesting and entertaining than Beautiful Creatures.

There is some good to the novel though, I found the paranormal world to be very interesting, I think the authors did a very good job to crafting together a fantasy world, however, the delivery of the story leaves a lot to be desired. Having 2 people write a book doesn't make the book necessarily better--- it just makes the story longer. And in this case, this entire story could have been told in under 100 pages instead of the 450+.

I will finish the book but I already know that it will leave me feeling sorely disappointed and dissatisfied.

UPDATE AS OF JAN. 12, 2010:

I finished reading the book last night. The story picked up toward the end (95% through the book). I was surprised by the turn of events which made it interesting but the ending kind of fell flat and left the door open for a sequel. This whole book dragged on because it was about waiting for Lena's 16th birthday (5 month period) and the outcome of whether or not she turns evil (dark) or good (light). This cant happen unless there's a full moon. Conveniently enough, she's able to block out the moon and in the end, a song plays, saying that the outcome of Lena's fate will be determined on her 17th birthday. Basically, the story went no where and Lena's fate remains undetermined.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2010 11:25 PM PST

The Last Lecture
The Last Lecture
by Randy Pausch
1628 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Just average.. "A HA!" moments far and few in between, May 5, 2008
This review is from: The Last Lecture (Hardcover)
Before my eyes fell on the first page, I really wanted to like this book.... but as I turned each page with the highest expectations,i realized that the book fell flat on its face instead of soaring sky high. There are some a-ha moments that related to ones life, but those moments are few and far in between. Nonetheless, Randy's story is told quite well, and i wish him the best. I've heard great things about his last lecture which I intend on checking out, but overall, this book left me concluding that his story and pearls of wisdom are best dispensed in person.

Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World
by Lisa Lillien
Price: $12.14
555 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars a creative cookbook that falls short of expectations, May 5, 2008
This cookbook is unlike any other - it is creative and very fun to look through... However, the majority of the recipes in this book are made from processed foods and not enough clean ingredients.. the recipes also frequently use artifical sweeteners, which have been proven to actually stimulate appetites..

There are a lot of smart and easy to make recipes like Lord of the Onion Rings, and brownie muffins made with pumpkin puree - that will save you tons of calories!! I admit, the onion rings tasted strangely too sweet and looked nothing like the picture, but I loved the brownie muffins made with Pumpkin. I did do a serch online and saw that substitute oil and egg with pumpkin is not uncommon for people who want to eat healthier -- sorry HG, can't give you credit for that one. There are a lot of no brainer "recipes" such as the hamburger recipe which is essentially a boca burger slapped with lettuce, pickles, fat free cheese and an english muffin that consists of light bread, egg beaters, fat free cheese and low cal bacon ---I mean cmon now, is that really even a recipe?

FYI, if you found out about this book through the Hungry Girl website, please note that this book is not a full color cookbook like you would assume from visiting the HG site. There are about 10 pages of pictures in the middle. Weight Watchers points arent included - you'll have to go to the website for that.. But that's better than nothing right?

If you like Hungry Girl but want more recipes made with clean ingredients, be sure to check out the Biggest Loser Cookbook (very simple and clean recipes -- majority of them are low calorie but some are not!!) and the Weight Watchers Cookbook and the Decadent Diet cookbook. I happen to have all 3 of these cookbooks and think they complement each other well =) Sorry HG but your book is going back to the store.

HAPPY (HEALTY) EATING!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2008 7:12 PM PDT

Just No Other Way
Just No Other Way
78 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars COCO does not SUCCESSFULLY CROSS OVER....., March 19, 2000
This review is from: Just No Other Way (Audio CD)
There are much better Asian American vocalists out there who are successfully making a splash in the music industry. "Voice 5" formerly known as ONE VOICE is one great example of female vocalists who demonstrate great talent... "Just the beginning" by Voice 5 is much better than the repetitiveness of "Just no Other way.." This coming spring there will be more Asian American singers hitting the music mainstream such as Kristine Sa, a singer from Nemesis Records, who writes her own songs.
Sony Music did a poor job of promoting Coco's new CD. I was very disappointed when I listened to it because it sounds no different from her Chinese CDs, the only difference is that her new songs are in English. Cutesy melodies and kiddy lyrics just doesn't cut it here in America. Coco's music doesn't break any NEW GROUND and isn't worthy of all the hype and attention that it's receiving. Coco has the potential but it doesn't really show in this CD. Bottom line: save your money.