Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Profile for Kilgore Gagarin > Reviews

Browse

Kilgore Gagarin's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1110
Top Reviewer Ranking: 240

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kilgore Gagarin "Young man, I can assure you my posterior is nothing more than flesh, bone, and that metal plate I got in 'Nam." RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Raking® Fetish Bed Restraints Bondage Love Cuff Bracelets Set (black)
Raking® Fetish Bed Restraints Bondage Love Cuff Bracelets Set (black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well of COURSE I love these! More for play than serious restraint (if you're nervous), May 24, 2016
Length:: 2:03 Mins

HD version of this non-explicit video is on YouTube, link is in first comment of review.

Video shows what's in package, some handling of each item, and a mockup with a glass wig head.

I wouldn't recommend these if you are in to serious restraint. However, for cosplay, general fun, a little adventure for newbies, they're fine. Probably the best items are the clamps and the spherical voice suppressing device. Worst item for me was the size of the collar which seems to be designed for the non-Sumo asian market (i.e., smaller, more delicate necks).

In any case, in an emergency these are pretty easy to break. The little lock is pretty cute and reminded me of the types that would used to secure your little sister's diary (don't even THINK about that, people!).

Fun toys. Or as we say in St. Louis, Fun Fun Cheap Cheap!

Manufacturer sent me a complimentary set for review purposes with no other remuneration and no review requirements.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2016 10:49 AM PDT

Sunlite PAR30/LED/10.5W/FL40/DIM/ES/30K LED 3000K PAR30 10.5W 60W Replacement 120V Medium Base PAR30 HE Series Reflector with Dimmable Energy Star Light Bulb, Warm White
Price: $18.59
3 used & new from $18.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short stemmed LED can light, May 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not a complaint, just a heads up. This won't work for cans that are deep and require a longer neck to screw in. It's perfect for lots of other uses, and has a nice natural light, not blue or harsh. Like all LEDs, if you use this to replace CFLs or incandescents you will pay for this light easily over its lifespan. The lower power usage belies the amount of light this bulb puts out. Couple that with heating that is at its worst "slightly warm" and an incredible lifespan (a couple of decades with normal use) and NOT getting and using LED bulbs is silly.

Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12" Memory Foam Mattress, Queen
Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12" Memory Foam Mattress, Queen
Price: $449.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mattress, ships in astonishingly small box, May 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you like firm mattresses, and I do, this should suit you. For years my wife and I slept on futons so we are used to a firmer feel. This does get a little warmer than the cotton futons. It's also softer than the futons, albeit still on the firmer side. Again, for our sleeping patterns, that's not a problem at all. In the winter we keep things cool inside (60 degrees) so warmth is actually desirable. In the summer we keep things warmer (AC turned on only when it stays above 85 degrees at night) and generally sleep on top of the covers.

I'm continually astonished at how small a box these types of mattresses can be stuffed into. We did give it the recommended 48 hours to expand fully, and I measured this at 12 inches thick as advertised. It's also one of the lighter mattresses I've ever had so maneuvering it around has been trivial.

Easy to give 5 out of 5 "I love it" Amazon stars.

Corsair Gaming K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Keyboard, Backlit RGB LED, Cherry MX Speed RGB
Price: $169.99
17 used & new from $165.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Doofus older gamer driving a Porsche, May 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wouldn't call myself a gamer, but I do play games. This is one of those keyboards that the gamer kids (I'm 58 years old but am a nerd/geek from way back) will drool over and so should they! Ok, First off, the cherry switches are awesome. Doesn't make me a better gamer but does make me feel like I'm driving a Porsche. But I'm not a professional driver of Porsches. Ok. If you get this, you will speed along. This is my first experience with red switches. I still suck as a gamer! I still get destroyed on World of War Planes and Mass Effect (Steam). But. I feel like my inputs are faster. I still die. But that's because I am bad. But my car (this keyboard) is REALLY fast.

Highly recommended if you got the money. Otherwise, look for the cheapest cherry switches keyboard without funky lights you can find.

For the record. I LOVE this keyboard!

The Sorcerer's Daughter: The Defenders of Shannara
The Sorcerer's Daughter: The Defenders of Shannara
by Terry Brooks
Price: $19.91
51 used & new from $14.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Brooks cranks out good stories, this is one of them, May 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Shape shifters and their problems. I love Terry Brooks. I read almost all of his stuff and would consider this in the middle of his works. Highly recommended for regular fans, will work for the new reader (though might not take off for them), and actually a good read for the casual reader who knows nothing about the Shannara universe.

Dilemmas of a shape shifter is the main theme. I have to admit that I just read THE DEVOURERS (a July release) by Indra Das which I consider the definitive shape shifter novel. But this is very serviceable and readable.

Brooks is a craftsman and this is recommended for both hard core and casual fantasy readers. Brooks fans will just get this and read this (like me).

The Devourers
The Devourers
by Indrapramit Das
Price: $21.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, disturbing. Probable award winner., May 17, 2016
This review is from: The Devourers (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Indra Das has learned from his mentors.

THE DEVOURERS grabs the reader from the beginning, and Mr. Das never lets up. On the surface this could be an INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE clone, but where Anne Rice delivers a riveting tale, Mr. Das one ups her with this riveting tale coupled with truly exquisite descriptions of settings and characters, and truly disturbing plot twists. This isn't the kind of book I read where I felt entertained - I felt moved.

Mr. Das' so called werewolf is a unique character. The premise of our unnamed main character commissioning a history professor to transcribe some mysterious scrolls ends up telling us both about "werewolves" and ourselves. Pseudo spoiler (revealed almost immediately). The term werewolf is used loosely to describe characters and beings that in no way resemble the traditional Lon Cheney creature.

Will be nominated for literary awards, might win a few. Very difficult to classify book.

RXS 3D Printing Pen LCD screen, light Yellow
RXS 3D Printing Pen LCD screen, light Yellow
Price: $84.59
2 used & new from $84.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use right out of the box but know your PLA from your ABS, May 11, 2016
Length:: 2:22 Mins

HD version of this video is on YouTube, link is in first comment for this review.

The only problem I had was determining what type of filament had been supplied. There are two types, ABS and PLA, and there was no labeling on the included sample. Helpful YouTube videos told me it was ABS (burning it with a fireplace lighter, the ABS filament is dark, oily, stinky smoke and I can't recommend you do it but I did - and it was ABS!).

This video shows some wonderful art I created ... ok ... not so wonderful! This won't make you a great artist, but it will give you an interesting creative tool. The RXS 3D printing pen has a speed control which will give you different effects. Also, my experience with the two types of filaments showed me that that was a factor also. I think the PLA drys quicker (and is bio-degradable) and the ABS takes longer to harden and is petroleum based. You can pick up spools of this pretty cheaply here on Amazon. My previous experience with a 3D pen like this required sticks of filament. This takes regular old curled up filament and gobbles it up nicely. It was also easy to eject unused filament.

Even if you're just doodling, as I was, this pen is trivial to use. The display, coupled with the simple controls, made it a breeze to use. I was somewhat concerned about the heat of the tip since the display showed it went up to about 230 degrees. I actually had no problem when I brushed against the tip, but it obviously can burn you. This is definitely not for really little kids, but I wouldn't hesitate to supervise anyone, say, 8 years and older.

Super easy to use, super fun. My only concern is always durability, and if this has issues in the next month I'll weigh in on that.

Manufacturer gave me a complimentary sample for review purposes, with no other remuneration and no review requirements.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2016 1:36 PM PDT

Micandle 6 Pieces Yellow Flicker Solar Power LED Light Candles-flameless Electronic Solar LED Lamp Nightlight Powered-plastic Solar Energy Candle for Outdoor Camping Emergency
Offered by Micandle
Price: $35.99
2 used & new from $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty! And cute., May 11, 2016
Length:: 1:13 Mins

HD version of video is on YouTube, link in first comment for this review.

Very simple idea executed well. These "candles" will soak up ambient light (sun is best) to charge internal batteries. Once it gets dark there's a light sensor that turns the candles on. All of this is demonstrated in the brief video.

The only tricky thing is testing these in light. Turn them on (switch on bottom) and put your finger over part of the solar panel to turn them on for testing. If they don't come on, toggle the switch again - cover a different part of the solar panel, or the entire thing.

These are on my kitchen window sill soaking up sun all day, and flickering in the windows all night.

I received a set of 6 candles for free for testing and review with no other remuneration and no review requirements.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2016 1:09 PM PDT

Wireless Mouse, Foxcesd 2.4G Professional Gaming Mouse with USB Nano Receiver ,2400 DPI 4 Adjustment Levels Wireless Gaming Mice for Pro Gamer
Offered by PC Electronic Smart
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a gaming mouse, but an excellent general purpose mouse, May 11, 2016
Length:: 1:10 Mins

HD version of this video is on YouTube with link in first comment.

The only small problem I had with this was finding the wifi dongle. This video shows it inside the battery case. You'll need two AA batteries which are not supplied.

The best thing about this mouse is its feel. This has a solid ergonomic feel. This is actually my current general purpose wireless mouse. For when I do play games (World of Warplanes) the ability to change the DPI is always a nice feature.

I found the multi-media keys a bit funky. You have to toggle a switch on the bottom to activate. Once done, I was able to increase and decrease the volume on a YouTube video with the scroll key, and fast forward using the extra key near the left mouse button. That's pretty well designed as it neither gets in the way of normal use, nor does it get accidentally triggered.

The LED lighting is pretty, but this doesn't need that feature for my recommendation. It's a bonus.

Solid wireless mouse, useful for gaming.

The manufacturer gave me a complimentary unit for review with no other remuneration or review requirements.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2016 12:51 PM PDT

Miracast Dongle, Foxcesd WiFi Display Dongle, Wireless HDMI Display Dongle Airplay Adapter Share Videos, Images, Docs, Live Camera and Music from All Smart Devices to TV, Monitor or Projector [Black]
Offered by PC Electronic Smart
Price: $65.99
2 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty dongle worked seamlessly on an Android Lollipop phone, May 10, 2016
Length:: 1:41 Mins

HD version of same video is on YouTube. Link is in first comment for this review.

Video shows it actually being used, then all the traditional "what's in the box" stuff, followed by demo of setting up. Depending on your device you'll have different issues. I tested this easily and successfully on two different Android phones running Lollipop. Make sure you enable Wireless Display on your phone also!

I think the main problem people are likely to have has to do with the mode button (Foxcesd calls it the "Fn button"). If you've got it set to the wrong setting it won't work with your phone. In my testing I paired with my phone without the dongle being plugged into the HDMI port of a monitor so I couldn't tell what setting it was on and had some minor issues. If you do plug it into an HDMI port and bring up the screen it will display its setting.

I have to confess to having to play a bit with getting this connected, but no more than a lot of other devices, like Bluetooth, that I've had. I'm not that familiar with a lot of my phones screen casting settings so I had to play with them a bit. In any case, once it was recognized and connected, it was pretty easy to disconnect and reconnect. It's a lot like Bluetooth in that my phone remembers the device.

For the record, here are the steps on my Android phone to connect to this dongle:

1. Settings
2. Display
3. Cast Screen
4. Click on the three vertical dots (more options) and "Enable Wireless Display"
5. Click on box to make "Discoverable by others" (not sure if that's needed)

If you've got the dongle on the Miracast setting it should show up in the Devices List. I fumbled a couple of times before getting it to pair. Once done, no issues whatsoever.

Foxcesd gave me a free sample of this device for testing and review, no other remuneration, and no review requirements.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2016 8:45 AM PDT