Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Profile for Kilgore Gagarin > Reviews

Browse

Kilgore Gagarin's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1142
Top Reviewer Ranking: 256

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kilgore Gagarin "Young man, I can assure you my posterior is nothing more than flesh, bone, and that metal plate I got in 'Nam." RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lynktec Apex Fusion Fine Point Active Stylus Pen with TruGlide Fiber Tip Technology, Black (LTTG-0016ABK)
Offered by Lynktec
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $42.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Your mileage will vary with the specific apps and devices you use, July 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Lynktek Apex Stylus is actually a pretty good device. But as it says in my title, your mileage will vary for a lot of different reasons independent of the stylus. I tested this on a knock-off Chinese Windows 8 tablet, a Motorola Moto G (2nd generation) cell phone, and a BLU Life One X Unlocked 4G LTE GSM Smartphone . My tests involved using the stylus for navigating the menus on the various devices, drawing/painting, and text input and recognition on my BLU Life One X using "Google Handwriting."

Pros:

* Ergonomically excellent - feels nice in the hand, nice weight
* Built in battery charges with standard USB cable, clear LED red -> blue feedback (blue is charged)
* Really does shut off after 30 minutes with no use (I timed it)
* Tip is in between "huge finger size" of cheapies, and "tiny nib size"
* You can get inexpensive Replacement Nibs

This worked the worst on my Windows 8 tablet. Some navigation didn't even work and I found I had to press harder than I would like to navigate menu options. Basic Windows Paint program worked ok, but there were expected drop offs when drawing. I chalk this up primarily to a hinky screen.

This worked best on my BLU One X, in fact, it worked great! I tested using the free Android "Sketch" app via the PlayStore and was able to draw pretty easily, navigate easily, etc. I did have to press hard a few time to select a menu option. Drawing slowly I saw almost no drop off (line disappearing). I have to note that I have yet to find any active stylus yet for any of my devices that doesn't suffer from this occasionally. I think it's just the nature of the current technology.

I also installed "Google Handwriting" which was able to recognize my printing and cursive writing fairly well. I wouldn't choose this as a primary input method for taking notes, however. Again, your mileage will vary.

I used this on my Moto G (2nd gen) pretty much just to navigate around and it worked fine with no real issues.

In all cases, it took a little practice on each device to get a feel as to what was required for clear input. Each device seemed to require a different amount of pressure. In the case of drawing/painting (didn't do this on the Moto-G) it also took a little practice to get a feel for optimal input. Nice, slow, steady drawing gave the best results. On the BLU One X I actually could draw pretty fast, but still got occasional line skipping.

All in all, an excellent device. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a first time active stylus. Getting it from Amazon should protect you should you need to send it back. Don't expect miracles, but this is nonetheless a handy and useful addition to my stable of devices. I'll primarily be using it for navigating my phones with occasional drawing (I can't draw very well, but making a quick map can come in handy).

Rogue Heroes: The History of the SAS, Britain's Secret Special Forces Unit That Sabotaged the Nazis and Changed the Nature of War
by Ben Macintyre
Price: $28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding historical tale, July 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Two things make this book exceptional. First, the author has a track record of excellent historical books, from a biography of Ian Fleming to the fascinating tale of Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory. Second, Ben. Macintyre's unprecedented access to fairly recently declassified documents from the Special Air Service Regimental Archives, including the 500 page "war diary" compiled in 1946, creates a backbone of verisimilitude that is undeniably intriguing.

Mr. Macintyre's style of writing is very accessible. His prose reads like a taut spy novel, which is even more remarkable when the reader realizes this is a lengthy and complex tale (the origins of the SAS) rooted in reality. This book will easily appeal to people beyond the core "history buff" demographic that will also buy this.

Great topic. Great author. Great sources. Great book.

Mr. Robot, Season 1
Mr. Robot, Season 1
DVD
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminded me of the first season of LOST, July 16, 2016
This review is from: Mr. Robot, Season 1 (Amazon Video)
For starters, great acting, great cast, great directing.

And really weird. I remember watching the first season of Lost and being enamored of a story that didn't clearly reveal all answers with a penchant for tweaking our concept of reality itself. Same here with "Mr. Robot." My recommendation is to watch the first episode to see if you're a candidate to continue watching. If it doesn't catch you, feel free to stop.

My only concern is whether or not the people making this show can keep it up. So far, so good.

Happy Belly Chocolate & Dried Fruit Trail Mix, 48 oz
Happy Belly Chocolate & Dried Fruit Trail Mix, 48 oz
Price: $19.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard but yummy (if you like this sort of thing and I do), July 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've never found a trail mix that doesn't seem to be a bit heavier on the peanuts than I'd like, but I think that's just the nature of most of the commercial products. Don't like lots of peanuts in your mix? Make your own!

In any case, this tastes about as good as similar products. A little less salty (that's good) than I normally get. The nuts are all pretty standard, same with the M&Ms. This is a good big size bag at 48 oz. to split up among a lot of folk. Just got this and had a bunch of people over to watch Mr. Robot, Season 1 and dumped these in a bowl. Four episodes later with 5 people in the room and there was still over half left. Really good party mix at this size.

5 out of 5 Amazon stars because that means "I love it" and frankly, stuffing these in my mouth, I do.

The Definitive Barracuda & Challenger Guide: 1970-1974
The Definitive Barracuda & Challenger Guide: 1970-1974
by Scott Ross
Price: $28.67
40 used & new from $24.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive for the E-body 'cudas and Challengers, July 15, 2016
I'm a reference librarian and appreciate well designed and thorough books like this. It must be noted right off, according to the title, that this book only covers the years 1970-1974 which reflects use of the Chrysler E-body platform only. I'd also like to note that after reviewing several of this publisher's books that these are fascinating reads (and browses) even for the non fan-boy. This specific book is most fascinating in the details for the 10 models covered.

After an opening chapter on the E-body, there are 10 separate chapters, one for each year from 1970 to 1974 and for each individual model. Each chapter is designed the same way with my favorite aspect being the "Window Sticker" section for individual models. Photos are extensive for interiors and exteriors, and where the photos don't tell the story author Scott Ross fleshes out the details in clearly written text.

Pages 176 to 190 are appendices A through P which lists the various engines, transmissions, differentials, and paint schemes for both interior and exteriors, and includes small swatches of each color. This is then topped off with an index, albeit slightly brief to my tastes (but still, an index!).

HIGHLY recommended for anyone who is a collector or restorer of these vintage 1970's American muscle cars. Couple this with the relevant Chilton Repair Manuals and the serious 'cuda/Challenger collector and restorer will be set for life. Also recommended for institutions dealing in automobile and transportation history and public libraries in the Detroit area (ok, other public libraries as well).

Pictures? Yeah, the pictures are great. CarTech has got this aspect down. The hardcover with dust jacket version I received for review is shiny and pretty (no sarcasm - it IS shiny and pretty).

I received a complimentary copy of this book via the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program with no other compensation and no review requirements.

Canon Lasers ImageCLASS LBP251dw Wireless Monochrome Printer
Canon Lasers ImageCLASS LBP251dw Wireless Monochrome Printer
Price: $299.00
14 used & new from $299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine home laser printer, but I recommend Canon's cheaper LBP151dw, July 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have no issues recommending this as a solid home black and white laser printer. But Canon's lower end imageCLASS LBP151dw Wireless Monochrome Printer costs almost a third what this version does. The main differences between the two:

251dw supports Apple Airprint, the 151dw does not.
251dw is slightly faster printing than the 151dw, but not in any meaningful way (30 pages/min vs. 28 pages/min)
251dw has a slightly bigger footprint than the 151dw
Both have 250 page paper cassettes

Here's the rough per page cost breakdown for each. Note that the "compatible" cartridges will vary in actual output of pages, but I'm including some info just so you get an idea.

The 151dw uses the Canon 137 toner cartridge 9435b001 can do about 2400 pages and currently costs about $80 (3 cents/page).
You can get Canon "compatible" 137 cartridges for around $20 that purport to do 2400 pages (less than a penny a page).

The 251dw can use the Canon 119 II high capacity cartridge doing 6400 pages for about $190 (3 cents/page).
You can get Canon "compatible" 119 II's doing 6400 pages for about $40 (a little over half a cent per page).

If you're a home user, the 251dw may be easier to use and slightly faster, but overall costs for home use aren't going to be anything you'll really notice. I strongly recommend the way cheaper 151dw for the home user.

Carnation Half and Half Liquid Creamer Singles, 180 Count
Carnation Half and Half Liquid Creamer Singles, 180 Count
Offered by Beach Audio
Price: $22.02
2 used & new from $22.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Predisposed to loving 1/2 and 1/2 little thingies, July 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Half and Half is my standard coffee additive and the fact that these don't require refrigeration (as usual) is really nice in an office setting. Understand that this box contains 180 individual creamer containers which is actually a lot for our office. These will probably last about 2 months or longer with our normal consumption. Not everyone likes their coffee with additives, but these beat the powdered "chalk dust" creamer we normally use. Also, it was nice to drop off a dozen or so on several people's desks.

Half and half. Easy 5 out of 5 stars but I confess to already liking the product before I ever ordered.

StarTech.com USB 2.0 Certified A to B Cable - M/M (USB2HAB10)
StarTech.com USB 2.0 Certified A to B Cable - M/M (USB2HAB10)
Price: $2.96
63 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty standard, works no problemo on my printers - 10 foot is longer than most, July 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a 10 foot long cable and I also got another StarTech A to B USB 2.0 cable, the 6 foot long version. Both work exactly as I expected on my various Epson, Canon, and HP printers. All I use this for is printing and I do not do any scanning over cables. If it matters, the 10 foot long cable is black and the 6 foot long one is white in color. The price difference between them is about double so if all you need is a functional cable and you need this longer 10 foot long version, no reason not to consider getting this. If you don't need 10 feet, consider the cheaper six foot long one by the same company as mentioned in this review.

StarTech.com Clear A to B USB 2.0 Cable - M/M (USBFAB6T)
StarTech.com Clear A to B USB 2.0 Cable - M/M (USBFAB6T)
Price: $7.47
52 used & new from $1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed for my printer if 6 feet is good for you, July 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a 6 foot long cable and I also got another StarTech A to B USB 2.0 cable, the 10 foot long version. Both work exactly as I expected on my various Canon and Epson printers. I do not do any scanning over cables. If it matters, the 6 foot long cable is white and the 10 foot long one is black in color. Price difference is close to 2 to 1 so if all you need is a functional, shorter cable, no reason not to consider getting this one.

Weiman 511D Wood Repair Kit For Furniture & Floors,
Weiman 511D Wood Repair Kit For Furniture & Floors,
Price: $15.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Appears to be just colored felt markers and regular crayons and still don't work very well, July 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm trying to attach some pictures demonstrating the use of this on a hardwood footstool we've had for some time. I do realize that my test case is in pretty bad shape and I didn't expect everything to look new. However, even the smallest scratches didn't appear to be covered up or treated very well with either the markers or the crayons. I can only speak for MY experience and MY sample test, so feel free to check out other reviews.

The color I needed appeared to be the DARK BROWN marker but I also tried the BLACK as well. The DARK BROWN just sort of colored things a little, and the BLACK didn't do much better and even left an obvious black mark.

The crayons were just as worthless.

I think this might actually be fine for very minor touch up, maybe a single small scratch. But for any serious restoration, look elsewhere.
Comment Comment | Permalink