ARRAY(0x97c13348)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 163

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kilgore Gagarin "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand. - Kurt Vonnegut" RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hannibal: Season 1
Hannibal: Season 1
DVD ~ Hugh Dancy
Price: $12.96
65 used & new from $12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on as recommended by my 16 year old daughter, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Hannibal: Season 1 (DVD)
I actually got this based on the recommendation of one of my children. It was nice to see Caroline Dhavernas (Wonderfalls) back in action after so long. The entire cast is excellent and if you're a fan of off-beat and dark television, this works. Be warned that there are quite a few super gross scenes, and if cannibalism makes you squeamish, stay away. This show is macabre, psychologically disturbing, and very compelling. Probably the closest comparison I can think of would be the Dexter series.

Rex Libris Collectible Statue
Rex Libris Collectible Statue
Offered by Warlock Collectables
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes great next to my Nancy Pearl action figure, April 10, 2014
I collect tchotchkes that have to do with books and for some reason had never even heard of Rex Libris. Once I ran across this, I just had to get it and it's everything I hoped it would be except for one thing. I'd like a version about 12 inches tall. Really big. I'd put it at the circulation desk at the end of every semester so all of the students could clearly see the statement, "Have you returned your library books?"

If you like Rex, check out the Nancy Pearl Librarian Action Figure. Rex and Nancy make a nice pair.

Cafe Bustelo Coffee Espresso, 10-Ounce Bricks (Pack of 4)
Cafe Bustelo Coffee Espresso, 10-Ounce Bricks (Pack of 4)
Offered by BRAND NAME 4 LESS
Price: $16.99
36 used & new from $10.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Goldilocks would like Bustelo coffee since it's just right, April 10, 2014
Ok, American coffee is just too darn weak. Traditional espresso is often WAY too potent. If you're looking for something in between then Cafe Bustelo should hit the "just right" spot. For most Americans, a cup of Bustelo java will be a stiff jolt of uber-coffeeness. For those of us who grind our own fresh beans and make a quadruple espresso (or two) every morning, regular American coffee is little more than brown water. Bustelo, for us, falls in that niche between the two. It's not "quite" as good as fresh ground, but it's WAY better than that awful tepid sludge usually served in the US.

My son alone goes through about 4 bricks (10 oz each) per month. It's stood the test of time.

Designing Interiors
Designing Interiors
by Rosemary Kilmer
Price: $86.17
32 used & new from $80.48

5.0 out of 5 stars I guess over 22 years later a new edition was needed, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Designing Interiors (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Don't get me wrong, this is a well executed, beautifully illustrated, and thorough book. As a librarian, I find the table of contents, organization, extensive glossary, and comprehensive index to be outstanding. This is THE textbook for the subject of interior design. With all that in mind I can't give this less than 5 stars. I'm just not sure most people would need to purchase this edition. It seems to cover the same topics, with updated bibliographic references, as the 1992 first edition. As a student, if this is a required text I'd hold my nose and go ahead and pay the current inflated new edition price (yes, I'm editorializing - I have to buy my child's college textbooks). If you're going to start out working in the field you might as well have the latest, greatest resource (this) in your library from the start. However, if you're an individual interested in interior design in general, the first edition will serve you well. The concepts and approaches haven't really changed since 1992.

All in all, a beautiful, well done book, my editorializing about price of textbooks aside.

Lepow U-Stone Series 12000mAh External Battery for iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, 4S, iPad 2, 4, Mini, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, 3 - Retail Packaging - Khaki Brown
Offered by Lepow
Price: $101.99
2 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 60 second demo - funky packaging, beautiful design, clear status lights, April 5, 2014
Length:: 0:55 Mins

I've been working on creating very quick and clean 1 minute (or less) video demos about some of the products I review. I have to say at the outset that the Lepow U-Stone external battery tested out fine technically. You can read the specs and other reviews for those dry details. I've personally used it to recharge and power a wide array of products (Blackberry phone, Android tablet, Windows 8.1 tablet) with no problems for the last week. Your mileage will vary depending on the specific power needs of your devices, but 12000 mAh is a plenty sizable chunk of electricity for my needs. Recharging to full does take a few hours, so plan on plugging it in at night if you need it the next day. In a crowded field of similar products, my video "demo" shows some of what makes Lepow's products a bit more interesting. You'll briefly see some of the coolest packaging and design this side of that done by a company that starts with an "A" named after a fruit. Other Lepow products (e.g., the Yellow Duck "Moonstone" external battery) show a similar attention to design and packaging and are even, in the case of the Yellow Duck, quite whimsical. A very useful and quite cool feature is the 4 blue LEDs that indicate amount of charge left in the battery. In the video I demo the "Lepow shake" which briefly activates the display and should show 3 of 4 steady lights indicating about 75% charge; I also show what it looks like while charging with blue LEDs blinking. Easy 5 out of 5 stars even if this were an ugly product, which it is NOT. I do have to confess I have no idea what to do with the red-white-blue elastic band with the leather Lepow nametag and obscure Kanji. Unusual wedding garter? Mysterious and fun.

Remington RM115ST 14-Inch 5.5 Amp Electric 2-in-1 Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger
Remington RM115ST 14-Inch 5.5 Amp Electric 2-in-1 Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger
Offered by CPO Outlets
Price: $39.99
8 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid light weed whacker, April 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Due to local rain, I had to wait a few days after receiving this to run it through its paces. I have a heavier duty electric trimmer from another maker that I use for things like bamboo (not really big bamboo, smaller shoots) and heavier brush. The Remington RM115ST is a much lighter electric trimmer and so far has worked nicely as an additional tool for my lighter needs. I took on our post winter brush and stems in the front garden and this sailed through it like a champ. I experimented a little with the bamboo shoots, and though it DID slice through the smaller, younger ones, it did take some effort and I went through a little more line than I wanted. So I wouldn't use this to clear really heavy stuff, but the occasional clump will still get decimated by the Remington.

I have to say that in general I HATE weed whackers because every single one I've ever used eventually causes me grief when it comes to jamming up and changing line. So far, no problems with this one. I am forever an optimist!

Intertape Polymer Group IG235 Iron Grip Duct Tape, 1.88 in x 35 yds, Black
Intertape Polymer Group IG235 Iron Grip Duct Tape, 1.88 in x 35 yds, Black
Price: $15.67
6 used & new from $8.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Macho tape for macho jobs, April 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this primarily to seal the seam where my external house walls meet my cement patio - when it rains heavily water seeps in and gets in the basement (this is not good). After cleaning and drying the wall and patio I put this stuff down and it really adheres well. I didn't fool around and used some heavy duty shears to cut the lengths I needed. They overlap easily and cover the seam perfectly for my needs. We've had one good rain so far and the tape doesn't appear to budge. I've used a similar Intertape product to seal up the joints on my gutters and it's been holding for a couple of years now. This is grownup tape for grownup jobs. I just wish it could stick to dirt. Easy 5 out of 5 stars, and if it holds up for more than a year, I'd give it 6 stars. Should this fail to hold in th enext year I'll update this review.

Swingline LightTouch Reduced Effort Stapler, 50% Easier, 20 Sheets, Black (S7066402)
Price: $12.99
33 used & new from $8.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Leverage works for more than advertised 20 sheets, April 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I stapled 20 sheets of standard photocopy paper (scraps) with great ease. I kept adding sheets and got up to 30 sheets stapled together, though the staples barely made it through. Mind you, the stapler was able to use its pretty nifty leverage mechanism to punch through all 30 sheets with no problem, but the staple barely bent through on the far side to hold everything together. At 20 sheets, you don't need to use much pressure as advertised. At 30 sheets, yeah, you've got to give a little extra push, but I still used one hand. The moral? You don't have to count exactly 20 sheets before stapling. A few extra won't hurt.

I also own a PaperPro EvoLX Desktop Metal Stapler (1433) which uses a spring loaded mechanism to staple up to 20 sheets. It is a bit smaller and a lot easier to use, but 20 sheets is about its limit. This Swingline LightTouch is bigger and heavier and feels more durable. It also doesn't have the "pause and ... snap" effect the PaperPro has.

Easy 5 out of 5 stars for the Swingline LightTouch stapler. Works easy and exceeds parameters.

Altec Lansing iMW555-BLK Inmotion Bluetooth Speaker
Altec Lansing iMW555-BLK Inmotion Bluetooth Speaker
Price: $99.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound fidelity "pretty good," looks great, 10+ hours battery life, March 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Everything about this speaker is top notch EXCEPT for the sound which is not horrible, just not what I'm used to out of this size and class of speaker. If you're an audiophile, you WILL be disappointed. If you're looking for a "pretty good" speaker with excellent Bluetooth capabilities (all tested and working) and an awesome 10+ hours of battery life (also tested and verified) this will work. It can be cranked up enough for a party in a small apartment with little problem. The orientation of the speakers, two active speakers+two passive radiators on each side, makes this very good for placing in the center of a room. It also just looks cool as this is a very good looking physical design.

But, I think the biggest problem with this speaker's sound is that the passive radiators are not optimally mounted or tuned. It seems that the use of the radiators to focus on what is undeniably good lower end bass sound has left the higher end treble range behind. My testing normally runs through the entire Beatles Love album which has a great range of sounds from classical strings ("Eleanor Rigby") to hard core rock and roll ("Revolution"). Hard driving songs like "Back in the USSR" can be boomed and enjoyed no problems. "Here Comes the Sun," on the other hand, sounds ... how best to say this ... crummy.

This "pretty good" speaker gets 3 out of 5 stars in my personal opinion.

Smart Weigh Digital Multi-purpose Body Scale, Baby Scale, Pet Scale, and Luggage Scale with Ultra Wide Platform, Step-on Technology and LCD Display
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Demo of accuracy, how the "tare" feature works, and SUPER CLEAR DISPLAY, March 29, 2014
Length:: 1:01 Mins

Here's my 1 minute non-professional video demo of the Smart Weigh Multi-purpose scale. I tested the Smart Weigh against an analog bathroom scale and another digital scale I own and this scale showed up fine - see for yourself. I'm also demonstrating how the "tare" function actually works. The default behavior of the scale is to give your weight when you step on the scale, lock in the weight, and then give you 30 seconds to pick up, say, your cat, a baby, luggage, or an 8 pound dumbbell pretending to be a baby (no, I don't dress it up). Oh, and did I say THE DISPLAY IS SPECTACULAR. My eyes are getting worse as the years accrue, but the size and bright blue backlighting of the display gave me no issues (unlike the two scales I used for my tests). A couple of caveats: (1) pay attention to placing this (and any scale) on a flat surface to properly use else it will give you variant readings. (2) bathroom scales are NOT meant for commercial use and by design won't give you very granular readings (i.e., you probably shouldn't use this as a postal scale).

My only complaint would be that the documentation could be a little better. This scale is so simple to use that's not much of an issue.

Sample received for review purposes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20