Profile for Kilgore Gagarin > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 233

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kilgore Gagarin "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand. - Kurt Vonnegut" RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips 452391 65-Watt Equivalent SlimStyle BR30 LED Dimmable Light Bulb, Soft White, 2-Pack, Frustration Free
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice warm light in weight LEDs for my track lighting, March 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm continuing to replace all of the bulbs in my house with LEDs. These are perfect for some of my track light wells with two really good features. First, they're very light in weight. Second, they really do give a soft, warm light, rather than harsh white. I tend to use harsh white lights for outdoors (porches, etc.), but these are ensconced in my ceiling track lighting.

I can't review durability without waiting a few years, but after about 2 years of slowly replacing my CFLs and incandescents with LEDs, not a single LED light has failed. These are rated at 23 years (2-3 hours per day) so don't hold your breath. If they DO turn out to be crummy I'll update this review.

I am very happy and can easily give these 5 out of 5 stars.

ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2000 AMD AM3+ Motherboard M5A78L-M/USB3
ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2000 AMD AM3+ Motherboard M5A78L-M/USB3
Offered by DIRECTRON
Price: $60.99
17 used & new from $60.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Seamless upgrade for USB 3.0 support from earlier version of pretty much same mobo, March 5, 2015
I got this primarily to upgrade an existing older ASUS motherboard which did not support USB 3.0 to one that did. I can say that I was able to install this seamlessly in the same box with the same power supply and my existing 8 GB of DDR3 RAM (2 x 4GB chips). For me, zero problems. I assume that anyone who installs their own motherboard is capable of reading the documentation for seating all cables, and the existing online documentation and manual gave me exactly what I needed. As a bonus, my AMD Phenom II X2 550 CPU had two extra cores unlocked automatically. You can't guarantee that an X2's extra locked cores are usable, but mine were. Previous mobo I had to manually tweak using Linux OS. This was automatic in Windows once all drivers were installed and updated.

For the record, my successful install resulted in the following fully functional platform:

* AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1 GHz 2x512 KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor
* EVGA GeForce GT 730 1GB GDDR5 128bit Dual Slot DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card 01G-P3-3736-KR
* Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
* 8 GB DDR3 RAM (2 x 4GB chips)

My current Windows Experience Index is at 7.0.

My USB 3.0 devices increased their throughput about 5 times faster (and I KNOW that an increase of USB 2.0 to 3.0 is supposed to be greater, but that just never happens in real life - tests done with free AttoBench software).

Solid product, no issues, no problems, no complaints. An easy 5 out of 5 star rating.

Fisher-Price Thomas The Train - TrackMaster Breakaway Bridge Set
Fisher-Price Thomas The Train - TrackMaster Breakaway Bridge Set
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd love this more if it wouldn't require batteries (2 x AAA), March 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Though I'd love that this wouldn't require batteries (2 x AAA) given that it's explicitly in the product description there's no way I'd downgrade my 5 star review. It gets a full 5 stars for being cute, fun, and flexible.

My test kid was 3 years old and he used this over 3 days time. Each time was for about 45 minutes (in 3 year old time, like dog years, multiply by seven) after which he looked for other toys. I put this away on the third day and he actually asked if I could get it out so he could play with it with a friend. Watching Thomas careen around is quite amusing (though dull for adults). The kids loved to peer at how he makes it around from all sorts of angles.

The "flexibility" refers to the fact that this comes with a couple of track adapters which allows this to be used with all prior Trackmaster sets. I'm betting play time expands with more track as this is a fairly simple loop. I've had other train sets of different types for the kids over the years, and the ones with longest play time were sets where I had tons of track - the ability to have things go under and around furniture is always of kid-interest.

Ok, as it stands it's a one trick pony. But a fun one. Gotta get more track!

Vega One All-in-One Nutritional Shake, French Vanilla, 15 Ounce
Vega One All-in-One Nutritional Shake, French Vanilla, 15 Ounce
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My opinion: smooth, slightly sweet, mild flavor (French Vanilla version), February 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Works great for me passing my personal texture and flavor test (see below). Note this review is for the FRENCH VANILLA flavor.

Taste is always a matter of opinion, but it's probably the main reason I continue to buy certain brands of nutritional drink powders. All of the details about ingredients are extremely important, but if a powder mixes poorly or tastes bad, I just won't get it after an initial try. So, I check the ingredients and nutritional details for my personal needs, try it, and if it passes my texture/taste test it goes in my queue for purchase. I am price sensitive, but price fluctuates so I never do a review based on that. You can determine what you can afford on your own, as do I. Same with ingredients. This is NOT an ingredient review so if that's important look at the label.

My initial test is always the same: mix in one scoop with 12 ounces of non-fat milk (yes, I KNOW this has "no dairy ingredients - it's MY taste test). I don't even use a full blender, just a hand held frother. This Vega All-in-One French Vanilla Nutritional Shake powder passed with flying colors. It was totally smooth, slightly thick, with absolutely NO grittiness or floating specks. The flavor was on the mild and slightly sweet side which is my personal preference. If I want it sweeter or stronger, I'll add my own ingredients (which I do) to spice things up.

I've also used Vega's Sport Performance Protein (Chocolate), which also is on the mildly sweet side, but with a bit more of a chalky flavor. THIS product, the Vanilla Flavored Nutritional shake, doesn't have that chalky flavor and could probably pass as a regular flavored milk drink or smoothy.

Am I healthier and more buff? I think so. But our individual mileage will always vary. Excellent flavor and texture is why I give this 5 out of 5 stars.

Rapesco Flat Clinch Top Loading Stapler, 25 Sheet Capacity, Uses 26 and 24 1/4 Inch Staples, Blue (RAP1143)
Offered by CapitalStoresUK
Price: $12.17
4 used & new from $12.17

5.0 out of 5 stars I have to confess I'd never heard of "flat clinch" staplers!, February 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros:

* Super easy loading: pop up top, slide in staples (no weird levers)
* Nice mid-sized ergonomics
* Pretty blue color?
* No inadvertent staple torture devices in your paper sheafs

Once I saw how staples from this unit lay flat, instead of curling and sticking up as some staplers do, I immediately understood the difference. I guess for years I'd been dissatisfied when a few sheets of paper ended up with a strange staple 'torture device' instead of connected papers only. I'd always assumed I was doing something wrong.

Nope. Flatch clinch it is for me. I do have to note that this specific stapler doesn't feel like a heavy duty industrial strength tool, but feels like it's more for around the home and light office use. If you need a heavier duty stapler, just make sure you look for "flat clinch" in the description.

Azio USB Gaming Mouse (GM2400)
Azio USB Gaming Mouse (GM2400)
Price: $14.66
8 used & new from $14.66

3.0 out of 5 stars The two left side buttons are too far forward for my comfort, February 25, 2015
Serviceable and cheap.

Pros:

* Nice, long, solid braided mouse cord
* Lights up pretty (blue)
* CPI/DPI button is nice touch

Con(siderations):

* No display of CPI/DPI setting you just have to cycle for comfort level
* The body could be a bit long for small/average sized hands (mine)

I have no real complaints but do have to stress that the extra two buttons on the left side wall are a little too far forward for me to use comfortably. You should probably try this out before buying (if you can - good advice for any mouse or ergonomic related piece of hardware).

I love the braided cord which is (a) long enough at 6 feet, and (b) easy to find in my rat's nest of cables by feel.

This review is my opinion.

Gund Curious George Fireman Stuffed Animal
Gund Curious George Fireman Stuffed Animal
Price: $15.59
15 used & new from $15.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels more real than cheaper plush toys, February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was ready for some super cheap plush toy and was pleasantly surprised at the overall quality. I'm not an expert, but the seams all appeared to be tight, the uniform was cute, and at a little over a foot tall it's the perfect size for my local 2 year old. I didn't open it up, but the filling seems "plushy" rather than that sort of ratty cardboardy feel from, say, so-called "plush" toys you win at a carnival. This is NOT that.

Gosh, this is just cute. What can I say? If you, or your child/grandchild/great-grandchild/nephew/niece/friend like Curious George, I can't see you NOT liking this. As James Earl Ray would say, "totes adorbz!"

Tacwise Z3-140 Heavy Duty Hand Tacker/Staple Gun for 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 and 9/16 Inches Long Staples, Silver/Orange (TAC0806)
Price: $19.95
4 used & new from $7.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Real durable feel, nice flexibility with different sized staples, February 19, 2015
Using this Z3-140 stapler I had no problem inserting and loading different sized staples. This was a great product to test using the Tacwise 140 Staple Selection Pack. It has one of the easiest "squeeze the end and pull out to load staples" features I've ever used.

This stapler has some additional small, but really useful features:

* A +/- selector switch for heavy/light striking power

* Nice U-shaped smooth belt hook doesn't snag on anything until you want it to.

* A margin doohicky that easily clips on and allows stapling at identical distances from the edge.

* A little plastic ID window where you can put your initials on the tool
- (though if somebody steals this it's pretty easy to remove). But, you can still say THIS IS MINE!!!

A consideration is that this is a fairly heavy duty tool, and it's fairly heavy in weight. Heavy and solid/rugged. I punched away over 100 staples of different sizes into different materials with no problems.

Made in the UK (I'm a Beatles/Stones loving anglophile)!

Manufacturer's sample provided.

Tacwise 140 1/4 Inch to 9/16 Inch Staple Selection Pack for Hand/Hammer Tackers (compatible with Staples type G11 & T50), Box of 4400 (TAC0350)
Price: $11.54
3 used & new from $11.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient package for flexible use, February 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Summary: Lots of options with different leg lengths (depths) for different jobs and had ZERO problems using as directed.

I own Tacwise's Z3-140 Heavy Duty Staple Gun which I used to test this array of staples. I have to confess that in the past I usually would just use a generic staple gun with whatever generic staples I have lying around. Using these staples has taught me that I've been a bit of a yutz. Being able to choose different sizes from a single package has opened my eyes and made me, dare I say, a better home handyman?

You get five different sizes all of which refer to the length of a staples leg (how deep can they stab into whatever you're stapling), i.e., from short to long: 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm. The Tacwise Z3-140 loads as easy as any stapler I've ever used, and it didn't matter what size of staple I chose. It also has a manual setting for more power (+) to less power (-). If you've got a big job or something you're going to do a lot with, I recommend a few tests on stuff lying around to make sure it'll do what you want.

All tests were successful and satifying:

6mm (using (-) setting): I tacked 3 flat paper posters to the wall and used about 30 without a single jam or issue.
8mm (using (-) setting): tested on several cardboard boxes, again, about 30 test with no jams.
10mm (using (+) setting): tested on cardboard being tacked to plywood, 30 staples no problems

12mm and 14mm (using (+) setting): Tacked thick upholstery cloth (junk chair) into softwood dowels. Went nuts with 40 staples each, no problems.

Real world use:

I needed to tack up some plastic sheeting on my roof eaves to protect some recent damage (repairs will have to wait for warmer weather). Used the 10mm staples and it took about 5 minutes to cover the affected area. No jams, no problems.

TurboTax Home & Business 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer - Mac
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems buying, installing, and using for more than 10 years, February 18, 2015
I have been using TurboTax for over 10 years and have been a satisfied customer. Since I had purchased this "Personal and Small Business" version last year I didn't run into any of the problems that TT may have caused by changing what forms were available on the less expensive versions. My wife walks dogs as a sideline, and I sell on Ebay and this works fine for our small "sole proprietorship" activity. We could probably do the business part by hand but I feel better having everything double checked in case of an audit. Yeah, I'm paranoid.

Anyway, I've personally had no issues buying, installing (on a Mac) and using TurboTax for over a decade. I am just a single datapoint, but there you have it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20