Profile for Kilgore Gagarin > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 257

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kilgore Gagarin "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand. - Kurt Vonnegut" RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits: A Novel
Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits: A Novel
by David Wong
Price: $17.74

5.0 out of 5 stars America's greatest Asian-American surrealist strikes again!, July 31, 2015
Two rules about reviewing David Wong books:

(1) No spoilers. Except for his first book, John Dies at the End, you have David Wong's permission to kick anyone who spoils the plots of his books in the nuts.

(2) It helps to know a bit about David Wong to understand where he's coming from: Born in Beijing, adopted by Iranian-Chinese diplomats, lived in Shanghai, Hong-Kong, and Dubai. He has a degree in nano-technology from the University of Phoenix and currently lives in a studio apartment above a McDonalds in Times Square. He is an avid collector of cats and spatulas and had a cameo as a child in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension. Wong is an avid fan of Insecam.

Protagonist Zoey Ashe, and her stinky cat, Stench Machine, travel through the lightning plot in a world that will exist, um, next week.

You will like this book if you also liked: Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story; Snow Crash; or Big Trouble in Little China.

I received this book yesterday evening and finished it at 4am this morning. I haven't laughed so hard (actually, I more "chuckled regularly") since reading Wong's previous opus, This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It.

Have fun. I did.

Prego Ready Meal, Creamy Three Cheese Alfredo Rotini, 9 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Prego Ready Meal, Creamy Three Cheese Alfredo Rotini, 9 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Price: $17.97
2 used & new from $17.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing spectacular instant comfort food which I happen to love, July 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a pasta-holic and not so secret fan of mac and cheese no matter how it's made (from home made to instant). This is exactly what you would expect and right down my personal alley. It's on the mild side even with three cheeses. Nuked this up, scarfed it down, no complaints and a happy tummy. Have sent a case to my grad student offspring.

Belkin Universal Mobile Keyboard Case, Wirelessly Pairs Two Smartphones and/or Tablets, Compatible with iOS and Android
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adjunct for your smaller and even some larger devices, July 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros:

* On/Off just by opening the case
* Holds tablets larger than you'd think
* Simple switching from device 1 to 2
* Optimized for separate IOS and Android devices

Con(sideration)s:

* A bit flimsy (by design)
* Doesn't hold your device when closed (carry separately)
* Keyboard might be small for some (not me)
* Not a "sit on your lap" unit

I've got tons of Belkin products (cables, switches, etc.) and have never been disappointed so long as I took into account these are low-end devices. This keyboard case is typical of a lot of Belkin items - cheap and useful.

I wouldn't sit this on my lap, but with my cheap-o off brand 10 inch tablet (I was surprised that it held it so well for being so large) it made for a nice table top portable unit. I'm using this to write this review and have already used it to take the minutes at one of our departmental meetings. Though this works fine on my Moto-G it's sort of overkill. But. I could see myself taking minutes on my phone in a pinch without any real issues.

To start pairing, open up the case and hold the "fn" key and either the IOS or Android key with the bluetooth symbol. You'll be paired based on your switch setting. Switch is in back and is a solid toggle from one device to another.

My main use? Leaving it at the office for when I need to go somewhere quick and don't want to lug a laptop or even a netbook. Very nice product.

AXE Gift Box, Phoenix
AXE Gift Box, Phoenix
Price: $6.76
3 used & new from $6.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Three products, three "reviews", two of three I like, July 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This nicely packaged set of Axe products consists of three different items, each of which I will briefly review. All three products have that distinctive "Axe" odor which you either like (I do) or you don't. Nothing I can do about that.

(1) Axe Phoenix Anti-Perspirant Stick

I have become a fan of the Axe Anti-Perspirants. This says it's good for 24 hours, though I prefer the Axe anti-perspirant rated at 48 hours. In BOTH cases they really do stem under arm moisture for the stated times. This would get 5 out of 5 stars for me by itself.

(2) Axe Phoenix Refreshing Shower Gel

Works as good as any soap, with a nice moisturizing feel. Goes on slimy but washes off easily and leaves, yes, the slight "Axe" smell. Another 5 out of 5 stars just for doing what it says it does with no real issues.

(3) Axe Phoenix Daily Fragrance

I could do without this product. The first two have odor that tends to fade away, while this, by design, is MEANT to be fruity Axey smelly and it is. Nothing horrible, but for basically being a men's perfume, I'd give this 3 out of 5 stars.

Overall, 4 out of 5 stars. A very nice gift pack for the person in your life who likes Axe products.

Waltons Whistle Brass D Mellow
Waltons Whistle Brass D Mellow
Offered by irishimportsusa
Price: $9.55
5 used & new from $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and durable (that's good)., July 27, 2015
This is my third penny whistle. I bought this as a replacement for another key of D whistle I thought I had lost, and then subsequently found after I received this. This sounds a bit softer and mellower than my earlier whistle whose brand has rubbed off!

Definitely a beginners whistle, though when you get good you can easily play in small, informal performance venues. I tend to dink around with these at bus and train stops while waiting for my (usually late) bus or train. Cheap and durable, these are fun to just carry around. I particularly like emulating the quick notes Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka plays on his flute (appears to be a tin whistle).

Blow gently and lightly then harder to move up to another scale. It's quite fun to master doing that and easier than you think! I don't even read music and find this is a pretty easy instrument to learn by ear.

Nerf Zombie Strike Doominator Blaster
Nerf Zombie Strike Doominator Blaster
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Adjustable for left or right handers, July 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got about 20 to 25 feet average distance when shooting the full set of 4 drums x 6 darts =24 rounds.

The removable front handle is a great feature making this ideal for lefties and righties. Placing the handle vertically down is not a good idea. Placing it to the left or right, depending on your own handedness, makes this great for people like my wife (a southpaw). Since you use the handle for advancing ammo and for "rapid fire" which hand to use is important.

On "rapid fire" you basically hold the trigger down and just keep pumping the handle over and over to fire. darts at about one per second.

Highly recommended to buy extra sets of darts since these types of units lead to lots of lost darts.

One star off out of 5 for what I consider slightly deficient dart range. Best used for close in melees!

Spring [HD]
Spring [HD]
DVD
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Italo- and cine-philes, July 22, 2015
This review is from: Spring [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
Having lived in Italy for several years (long ago) one of things I really enjoyed about this movie was the setting. The naturalistic look and feel of the camera work made me think this may have been filmed in public, kind of like some of Martin Scorsese's work.The character, Louise (played by Nadia Hilker) is very memorable.

If I have a single quibble, it was the abrupt ending. I'm still not sure if the producer just ran out of money or it was meant to be an open-ended finish. Worked for me in either case.

Girls: Season 1 [HD]
Girls: Season 1 [HD]
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Squirmy for old white guys (but still entertaining), July 22, 2015
Really made me SQUIRM. I really wanted to hate the characters, but some of them reminded me of a younger me. I.e., pretentious, obnoxious, heart-felt, loving, stupid, genuine. If you're in your 50's, don't plan on watching this with your mom! You'll squirm because some of the conversations are too spot on.

There's a reason this show gets a lot of positive, critical buzz. The dialogue is very natural, the plots are infuriating, the characters are annoying (like all of my friends - I love them but they annoy the heck out of me). By the end of this first season I found myself genuinely caring for the characters and hoping for the best (while also yelling at them FOR BEING SO STUPID sometimes).

Frustrating fun.

Dove Men+care Body + Face Bar, Deep Clean 4 ounce, Pack of 10
Dove Men+care Body + Face Bar, Deep Clean 4 ounce, Pack of 10
Price: $10.88
5 used & new from $10.88

5.0 out of 5 stars It's soap. It works. No complaints., July 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I honestly didn't notice any "deep" cleaning, but this works fine for me. I'm not sure how to describe the exact odor of this soap, but after rinsing thoroughly there is very little odor left, and it pretty much is gone by mid-morning following my wake-up shower. I've used a lot of Dove products and have never had any reason to complain. If you've never used this before I recommend getting a single bar (if you can) to make sure the odor isn't bothersome.

I paid attention to how dry my skin was after using this, and didn't have any issues with that at all. I don't have problem skin, so take this as a recommendation if you have pretty much normal skin.

I give products 5 out of 5 stars for being exactly what they say they are, and having no problems or complaints.

Play-Doh Crazy Cuts
Play-Doh Crazy Cuts
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $13.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Next door kids love this, me too, July 22, 2015
This review is from: Play-Doh Crazy Cuts (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had a lot of fun playing with this with the next door kids (one girl aged 4, boy aged 6). We played a game called "mutant hair and barber" and laughed a lot at the different kinds of hair (length and color) that we could produce and "cut". Another game was "mutant worms are growing out of my head!" Yes, I am an instigator of fun behavior in kids, and this set was spot on for a little subversive play.

This comes with 6 standard Play-Doh colors - if you're new to Play-Doh make sure you use this somewhere without carpeting (he said ruefully).

I have to count off a single star because the handle crank did have a tendency to slip every once in a while. Otherwise, super fun toy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20