Profile for CRAust > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

CRAust RSS Feed

Matter (Culture)
Matter (Culture)
by Iain M. Banks
Price: $16.00
152 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Matter, August 30, 2011
This review is from: Matter (Culture) (Paperback)
Iain M Banks is a consummate storyteller. His settings may be surreal but his characters are firmly rooted in humanity - in the best Shakespearean tradition.

Inversions (Culture)
Inversions (Culture)
by Iain M. Banks
Price: $20.08
53 used & new from $6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Inversions, August 30, 2011
This review is from: Inversions (Culture) (Paperback)
Another tour-de-force from Iain M Banks. The plot has a twist that is even more subtle than his other works. I've been reading SciFi/Fantasy since the early 60's and he's up there with the best.

Update: Having read so many other reviews I felel that I have to add this...

Potential plot-spoiler....

This has been listed as a Culture Novel. In which case we should be prepared for the gender-switch, which I believe forms the heart of the novel. The title itself is a give-away. "Invert" was the epthet once given to a man or woman who dressed in the clothes of the opposite gender. I believe that the original protagonists swapped gender - as was easily done in The
Culture - to test out their respective ideologies. De War is, in fact the original female character, and the Doctor was originally male.

When viewed from this aspect so much that was puzzling begins to make sense. In fact, towards the end of the book Banks begins to exaggerate gender differences, as if to draw our attention to the switch. For example, exaggerating the Doctor's "masculine traits" of logic and detachment and De War's "feminine traits" of compassion and caring.

It is this which I believe makes this one of the most ingenious novels of our time.

The True Game
The True Game
by Sheri S. Tepper
Price: $15.00
109 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The True Game, August 30, 2011
This review is from: The True Game (Paperback)
A well-crafted blend of Fantasy/Technology. A great read for any SciFi/Fantasy buffs! If, like me, you missed it at the time, now is a good time to start.

Searchings: Secret Landscapes of Flowers, Vol. II
Searchings: Secret Landscapes of Flowers, Vol. II
by Barbara Bordnick
Price: $28.10
50 used & new from $7.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Searchings: Secret Landscapes of Flowers Vol II, August 30, 2011
Wonderful photography from an amazing point of view. I had actually bought Volume III first, at a book fair in New York. When I found there was another volume I just had to have it.