Profile for Lisa Yarde > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 77

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lisa Yarde RSS Feed (Brooklyn, New York United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth Book 2)
World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth Book 2)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Great followup to Pillars, but..., January 28, 2015
After having watched the televised version of this book, which was mildly disappointing as some adaptations are, I wanted to read the book to get the real story. I loved Pillars of the Earth and expected World Without End would draw me in. It's set two hundred years after the events of the first book and the descendants of those beloved characters, Lady Aliena and Jack have established their lives. WWE has memorable characters too in the protagonists Merthin, Caris and Gwenda, but also in the villains Ralph and Godwyn. I particularly enjoyed the villains because Follett had this wonderful way of making them the protagonists from their viewpoint. The book certainly kept me reading, but there were little things that annoyed me and made this a tedious read at times. For one, there was a tendency to repeat things as if readers who weren't paying attention. There's a lot of detail to absorb, but I didn't need the reminder about certain character deaths or to be told outright that a villain was lying to someone - some things are just apparent. I've always said if I were trapped on a desert island and only had one book to read, I hope it will be Pillars of the Earth. World Without End is a great follow-up, but it wouldn't make me revise that opinion.

Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons (Howdunit Writing)
Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons (Howdunit Writing)
by Serita Stevens
73 used & new from $0.66

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent resource on plants in particular regions (I had to ..., January 2, 2015
I've had this book for years and a recent comment on a writers' board reminded me I should review. I relied heavily on this text from 2001 to 2005 as a writer for general information on the types of poisons my fictional characters might have had available to them in the medieval period. This is an excellent resource on plants in particular regions (I had to do further research to verify whether certain species were indigenous to the place and time I wrote about), as well as the reaction time. While I'd back up what other reviews mentioned about the lack of dosage information, for me, it was a non-issue and didn't detract from the usefulness of this book.

Women in the Military Orders of the Crusades (The New Middle Ages)
Women in the Military Orders of the Crusades (The New Middle Ages)
Price: $68.00

4.0 out of 5 stars great to know where Dr, December 30, 2014
I bought this book for research on a topic I knew little about since knightly orders have always fascinated me, particularly the Hospitallers. This book will appeal to readers interested in the subject, who especially want to know how the Hospitallers differed from other orders throughout Europe on the inclusion of women. While I was pleasantly surprised by all the detail, almost half of this book is devoted to the bibliography and notes. Occurred at 54% on my Kindle device; great to know where Dr. Bom got her resources, but the length of the actual work is too short.

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Price: $31.59
294 used & new from $25.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, but the device stopped working twice and ..., December 26, 2014
Love it, but the device stopped working twice and I had to reset it. Possibly my internet to blame. Works consistently otherwise, so I'll be buying more and gifting.

Fentimans Rose Lemonade Soda - 9.3 oz Bottle
Fentimans Rose Lemonade Soda - 9.3 oz Bottle
Offered by Caputo's Market and Deli
Price: $9.71
4 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rose Lemonade, October 4, 2014
Best Rose Lemonade. I found this on a recent visit to London and it is the best tasting rose lemonade I've ever had without too much sugary taste. I liked it so much, had to find it once I returned home.

The Adventures of Ibn Battuta: A Muslim Traveler of the Fourteenth Century
The Adventures of Ibn Battuta: A Muslim Traveler of the Fourteenth Century
Price: $15.31

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on Ibn Battuta's life and his adventures, September 13, 2014
The best book on Ibn Battuta's life and his adventures. I bought it to help understand his experiences and the Moorish world around him. Definitely worth the read.

StriVectin-SD Instant Retexturizing Scrub, 3.3 fl. oz.
StriVectin-SD Instant Retexturizing Scrub, 3.3 fl. oz.
Price: $29.00
3 used & new from $29.00

4.0 out of 5 stars This product is great for leaving my skin feeling soft and clean, September 1, 2014
This product is great for leaving my skin feeling soft and clean, but I'm not seeing all the benefits I thought I might. I'll continue to use it as a cleanser.

La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock
La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock
Price: $14.97
9 used & new from $13.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, August 13, 2014
I bought this for my mom because the display is large enough for her. Arrived a day early. It was easy to set up. Perfect.

Kingdom Of Heaven (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Kingdom Of Heaven (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hoped it would be, July 26, 2014
The soundtrack of one of my favorite movies isn't as great as I hoped it would be. It get's off to a fantastic start with the tracks Burning the Past and Crusaders; my favorite To Jerusalem is an early track too, but the rest just seems to fall flat. I would have been better just purchasing the three tracks I mentioned.

I Am Livia
I Am Livia
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I am Livia, May 30, 2014
This review is from: I Am Livia (Kindle Edition)
Through the engrossing words of author Phyllis T. Smith, the world of Roman power, vice, lust and virtues unfold in I Am Livia. Narrated by the title character, the great aims and foibles of her family, of Julius Caesar, Mark Antony and Cleopatra, and of Livia's eventual husband, the future Emperor Augustus come to vivid life in this debut work of historical fiction. The author deftly reveals all aspects of Roman cultures, society and politics, in a depiction all the figures who shaped the empire that would dominate the Mediterranean region for centuries to come.

When the heroine Livia Drusilla is just fourteen years old, she overhears an assassination plan with more immediate consequences than a drastic change to Rome's political future. To secure the alliance among conspirators, Livia must wed a Roman senator Tiberius Nero who is more than twice her age, whom she cannot love. The aspirations of Livia's family cause them untold suffering, but also invites the scrutiny of a vengeful heir, Octavianus, whose primary purpose soon becomes clear as Rome devolves into outright civil war in the wake of the assassination. Livia attracts young Octavianus and the pair develop a potent rapport, although divided by family lines and affairs of state. Once he decides he will have her, regardless of their individual marriages and the children Livia shares with Tiberius Nero, Octavianus pursues Livia with the same relentless fervor as he did the assassins. The new couple shares grand designs for the country's future coupled an unequaled passion for its future, but their prideful natures often get in the way of mutual efforts to keep their marriage bond, and Rome, strong.

The adage "history is written by the victors" has never been more appropriate than in consideration of this period in Rome. Livia gives us a unique view of the historical figures around her. The lens of her interests, jealousies and desires shapes the way in which each character appears, especially with Octavianus. She recognizes his cold, monstrous behavior in all its ugliness, yet holds steadfast to him and their love through several trials for her own purposes. But there are a few aspects of the heroine and her interactions with her loved ones and enemies, which don't always ring true. For instance, it requires a bit of a stretch to believe a fourteen year-old girl, simply by conversations with her father, has such an intimate grasp of politic maneuvering and the repercussions for all involved in the murder plot. Also, the volatile nature of some established relationships, turning from hot to cold or vice versa seemed too sudden at times to make sense. Still, the capricious nature of the human heart and the ever-changing landscape of politics during this period make it all plausible.

I Am Livia is a delightful, well-researched and engaging story, ideal for readers who love Roman history, or dynastic intrigue.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8