Profile for ChibiNeko > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1637

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ChibiNeko "Sooo many books, so little time!" RSS Feed (Whereever I go, here I am.)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mega-T Weight Loss Chews Controls Appetite & Fights Hunger Mixed Berry, 30 Diet Chews
Offered by Deb's Buried Treasure
Price: $20.49
13 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well as long as used right, July 17, 2015
I've been using these lately as a way to curb my munchies since I've gained some weight recently. I know that the number one question on everyone's mind is "does this really work"?

Yes and no.

It's not a miracle chew. You have to use them properly, which is that you have to drink some water afterwards in order to really activate the product. You can chew them without water and your saliva will activate it, but it's better if you are least take a few gulps of water afterwards. Also, while this should seem self-explanatory I also need to clarify that you cannot replace a meal with this chew. You will still get hungry about 15-30 minutes later. You can, however, use this chew to help you wait it out until you can eat a meal, like in situations where you might be tempted to eat junk or fast food.

Taste-wise, this is OK. I actually prefer the chocolate chews since those taste a little better to me, but these do the job well enough. Like another has said, it tastes like a Starburst to a certain degree, but I'd say it's a Starburst taste mixed in with some of those Crystal Light or Koolaid flavors. It's tasty enough to where I'll buy another box of this at my local store if this is all that they have.

Overall I'd recommend it as a decent dietary supplement. Just don't expect a huge amount of miracles from it like you swallow this and you're hunger free for hours despite being ravenous. This is something made for those moments where you're trying to hold off until you can get to that healthy meal or when you're plagued with cravings and are not actually all that hungry.

COW KIT ADULT
COW KIT ADULT
Offered by The Internet Department Store
Price: $11.95
22 used & new from $9.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but tail needs to be more secure, July 16, 2015
This review is from: Cow Ears and Tail Set (Apparel)
I'm of two minds about this. I ended up not wearing the nose because it had some bloodstains on the inside of the piece where the bridge of my nose would have been. This was sealed in a package, so I'm not sure how this happened. This is somewhat of an aside since I seriously doubt that this would be in every kit.

The costume as a whole is pretty cute and I loved the head piece. The tail was also cute, but the velcro did not secure as properly as I wanted it to and as a result it kept falling off.

This isn't bad, but the tail was the main deal breaker for me. I kept having to pick it up and reattach it, and eventually I just gave up.

Great Eastern Oreimo Street Snapshot Jigsaw Puzzle (300-Piece)
Great Eastern Oreimo Street Snapshot Jigsaw Puzzle (300-Piece)
Price: $17.19
5 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun!, July 16, 2015
I got this puzzle for a nephew that's just starting to get into puzzles and doesn't entirely want to do the puzzles that have puppies, kittens, and sailboats on them, pictures that tend to be popularly seen on puzzles with low piece counts.

The picture looks very nice and it's extremely crisp and clear. This is definitely something worth mentioning since some puzzles can have pictures that are far more faded looking than its box cover. This is likely because it's an official licensed product. The pieces were well cut, although I did run into an issue where a few of them would fit into the wrong pieces, a common issue for puzzles.

Overall this was a wonderful puzzle and my nephew and I put it together pretty quickly. This is a bit expensive, but worth it if you really want something with an anime character on the puzzle.

Reading the Comments: Likers, Haters, and Manipulators at the Bottom of the Web
Reading the Comments: Likers, Haters, and Manipulators at the Bottom of the Web
by Joseph Michael Reagle
Price: $17.08
50 used & new from $8.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but wish it was a little more in-depth, July 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is kind of a hard one to review. I liked it overall so I'm giving it four stars, but I really heavily caution readers to exercise some caution as far as purchasing goes.

The book's main downfall is its length, as the book itself (minus notes) is under 200 pages. This wouldn't be so bad except that Reading the Comments covers a *lot* of material. What this means for the reader is that many topics will be given a fairly brief overview - something that can be problematic when you also consider that Reagle tries to neutrally document things, which can give off the impression of ambivalence to some readers as can be seen in some of the other Vine reviews for this book. It also runs the risk of people going "but... this also happened" when it comes to some topics like STGRB doxing reviewers - Reagle does mention this, but he didn't mention that STGRB's doxing went somewhat beyond regular doxing (giving out basic contact information like names, addresses, phone numbers, etc) and actually gave out information on some reviewers' family members (children, spouses) and in one instance, actually detailed locations where the reviewer liked to hang out and walk.

As someone who did know some of the people involved, the cursory overview did make me a little irritated and I can see how others can easily take Reagle's neutrality in a format other than what was likely intended. However at the same time I can also see where he was trying not to take sides and these are topics where people tend to like reading works where someone takes a clear definitive side. If this wasn't a textbook then he likely would have, but this is something that was fairly clearly written with the intent to be used in a classroom or academic setting. That's somewhat my biggest concern about this: if someone is not already aware of the topics in the book and they're not in a setting where they could easily be educated about them, I can see someone getting confused or even the wrong impression from some of the book's contents.

However I do have to say that I'm very impressed with how much Reagle was able to squeeze into one slender tome. This is the type of topic that really would warrant a far larger work, easily about 400 to 500 pages because there is just *so much* to cover. I was also impressed by how readable this was for an academic work, as many of those tend to fall into the dry academic speak that can be so extremely common. This is something that could very easily be picked up by the average non-academic reader, however I would have some reservations about this based on my earlier statements.

So I suppose the question here is "should you get it?" My answer would be yes, for the most part. If you're a teacher wondering if you should get this for a class that focuses on the Internet, get it. This would work extremely well with students at various levels and would open up a large amount of discussions. If you're someone who is familiar with the general topics in this book, I'd also recommend getting it, although you may want to proceed with caution if you're looking for a specific viewpoint. If you're not familiar, I'd probably recommend that you do a little homework in order to familiarize yourself with some of the topics in the book, as you'll likely be left wanting a bit more information about the topic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2015 6:05 AM PDT

Chesapeake Bay Candle New York Botanical Garden Decorative 2-Wick Jar with Lid, Peony Bouquet
Price: $25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, long lasting scent, July 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a regular purchaser of Bath & Body Works candles, so I'm not really unfamiliar with the idea of buying candles at fairly high prices, although I will admittedly wait until they go on sale for the most part. My biggest concern with this was whether or not it would hold up comparison-wise to B&BW, since I can get those from the shop around the corner whereas with these I would have to order them off Amazon as far as I know.

Scent-wise, this was nice. I was a bit concerned that I'd be overwhelmed by the scent since there's a lot going on here. When I first took the top off the candle the scent was relatively strong, but I was pleased to find that this is a fairly mellow scent all things considered. It filled the room without being overly intrusive. So scent-wise, this is something that I'd actually buy in the future.

Wick-wise, I'm not entirely pleased. This only has two wicks and while that's better than one, I can already see where this is burning somewhat unevenly compared to the B&BW candles, which have three wicks. That can definitely make a difference when it comes to lighting the candles. This isn't a huge barrier, but considering that I'm somewhat of a candle snob now (albeit only through B&BW and Yankee Candle, so not overly a snob) I kind of have to say that I'm not entirely impressed by this.

Burn length wise, this is nice. I let this burn for a good while (an hour or two) without really any huge impact. This means that this will be a long lasting candle, which is one of the things I do look for in an expensive candle - what good is shelling out the bucks if you only get it for about 2-4 hours?

Overall I have to say that this was a decent candle. Would I purchase it in the future with my own money? Depends. I'd probably go with B&BW just out of convenience. If this was sold in a store that I could drive to, I'd most certainly purchase it. Through Amazon? Maybe. I'm curious about the other scents (Chesapeake Bay Candle!) and I like that the proceeds go towards the Botanical Gardens, so this is a definite option for me. It'd definitely make for a great gift, that's for certain.

The Supernatural Enhancements
The Supernatural Enhancements
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $8.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange but fun, June 30, 2015
This is kind of an odd book to review. It's kind of a visual experience in a way since portions of the book are descriptions of video or sound recordings. There's this interesting disjointed feel to everything as well because the book is comprised of several different things: descriptions, diary entries, newspaper articles, and so on. It's ultimately a fun read but one that will prove frustrating to people who just want a straightfoward book.

In all, I have to say that one of the things that fascinated me the most was that there were multiple layers to this story. You have the first layer, which at first glance appears to be about two people who travel to Virginia to collect an inheritance but are instead drawn into a strange, surreal mystery. However partway through the book you find another layer: the story about our two main characters, A and Niamh, a 20-something year old and a teenager that are fighting a mutual attraction. This might at first seem like it's part of the first story, except that you can tell that there's an entire backstory between them that is only briefly alluded to in the novel. Then there's the final layer, the truth of the matter. Very few of the characters are entirely who they claim to be and the story behind all of *that* is hinted at but never fully revealed. Then on top of all of this, all of these layers are mixed together until you can't entirely tell what's what.

If any of that sounds confusing well... it is confusing. You can enjoy this as a straightforward read if you really want, as you can still read this and entirely enjoy yourself. Some of the more front and center mysteries are solved, so there is a resolution here for the most part. However at the same time there's so much beautiful subtext here that to just ignore the other layers in favor of having a neatly tied up story is a bit of a shame.

That said, if you're looking for a book with layers (like a certain ogre) then you're in for a treat here. The beauty of this book is that it can ultimately be what you want it to be when it comes to the unresolved plot issues, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also have to admit that I'd really love to see a big screen adaptation of this, since the book's layout would lend itself exceedingly well to film.

Fish, Fish, Squish! Action Game
Fish, Fish, Squish! Action Game
Price: $11.41
20 used & new from $5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but has some drawbacks., June 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This has some pros and some cons to it.

In the positive column you have the fact that this game is extremely easy to learn and play. This makes it a boon for people with children who are extremely young, as this can help teach them about detecting differences in appearances and memory learning. (What is different, what is the same, etc?) It's also fun to squish the fish, which gives them a chance to get a bit messy.

However therein lies a bit of the problem: this is pretty messy to set up and clean up after, especially if you have a carpet. This is definitely something that I'd recommend using outside or in the kitchen unless you can trust your kids with clay and a carpet. (My parents couldn't, so my sisters and I always played clay outside or on linoleum floors.) The other big issue is that the fish are a bit of a pain to create. The molds may look like soft plastic, but they're actually pretty hard and rigid. I had to push pretty hard to get my fish to pop out of the mold, so I can only imagine how frustrating this would be for very small children or for parents/adults that have to create several fish for several small children. It also doesn't help that the fish take a little finessing to make them stand up properly, another thing that could be frustrating. The mold also doesn't really look like it does on the box cover, but that's more of an aside than anything else. There's also the ganging up aspect, as this sort of thing lends itself easy to people ganging up on one person. This isn't so bad with older kids who can do this without taking it personally, but this will be problematic with younger children.

Overall this isn't bad. It's a bit of messy fun and it's a decent game for youngsters, but the biggest downfall is that the molds are just pretty difficult to use and this can be a bit messy at times. It's not entirely something that I could see becoming a huge-huge staple in someone's household, but it's something I can see being fun at times on a rainy day.

The Fantasy Art of Kazuha Fukami - 300pc
The Fantasy Art of Kazuha Fukami - 300pc
Offered by e-XCEPTIONAL SALES
Price: $8.99
5 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice challenging puzzle, June 29, 2015
I got this for my nephew and myself and I was pleasantly surprised at its level of difficulty. 300 piece puzzles are sort of the type that you get when you're trying to get something to fill an hour or two of time at most (if the puzzlers are relatively used to putting together puzzles).

This has some odd shapes to the pieces and the colors were vague enough at points to where this kind of lent an extra edge to the difficulty. Both my nephew and I were pleased at this since it posed an additional challenge to us, since we tend to try to put puzzles together as quickly as possible.

The quality of the puzzle was overall good. It's not the greatest puzzle quality, but this will be one that you can put together more than once without the pieces breaking apart. I will warn that this came with a lot of puzzle dust and not all of the parts were cleanly punched out (some cardboard tags left) so you may need to do some cleaning with this. I'd get something from this company again, in any case.

Project 17
Project 17
by Laurie Faria Stolarz
Price: $7.42
154 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough but not entirely filling (some very vague spoilers), June 29, 2015
This review is from: Project 17 (Paperback)
I have to admit, I was disappointed by this book. It had a lot of potential to be more and in the end it just fell short.

What works in this book is the atmosphere: Stolarz does an amazing job of setting up the creepy atmosphere of an abandoned asylum. What makes this so great was that most of the creepiest aspects were the parts that would likely be normal in any other place, like drawings by the inmates. These probably wouldn't attract a huge amount of attention in a still-active asylum but put them in an empty building at night? Creepy. Same thing goes for the murals on the wall in the hydrotherapy room.

(slight spoilers here, nothing major)

However what doesn't work is that the book is a little too choppy at points. We're introduced to various characters that have some pretty deep backstory to them, only for this to be somewhat swept to the side in favor. There's no instalove here for the most part, although I do think that the couples are paired off too quickly and for the most part these are done too quickly. The relationships between them just feel a little forced. The ending especially feels rushed since the epilogue undoes the creepiness of the final bit in the asylum. This is where the pairings felt a little too forced since everything was a little too happydappy-ish of an ending. I think that this was probably due to it being a Disney book since they aren't exactly fans of leaving things ambiguous or having non-happy endings here. This last part might kind of be a spoiler although I'm not giving any big answers, so I'm going to tag this with a warning accordingly, although anyone who is familiar with Disney will be aware that this is how they operate with anything non-adult related unless it's a series, in which case they'll be a little more willing to end a "first book/film" with a less happy ending.

In the end this isn't a bad book but when you hold it up against Stolarz' amazing Magic series it just falls short because you know that she's capable of so much more. I'd recommend it as a library read rather than purchase it outright like I did, just to make sure that you like it.

AlterWorld (Play to Live: Book #1)
AlterWorld (Play to Live: Book #1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, quick read, June 24, 2015
I ended up buying this on an impulse after a friend of mine repeatedly nagged me (albeit good naturedly) to pick up this book. As anyone who has ever read a book based on a friend's recommendation goes, this can sometimes be unpredictable simply because everyone's tastes differ. I have to admit, I liked this book a lot more than I expected I would and I ended up finishing this within a day. It's not a perfect read, but it is a fun one.

The book's appeal will largely depend on how you, the reader, respond to video games. As the novel is set within a MMORPG, there is technical jargon liberally sprinkled throughout the book. There is a glossary for very new readers, but part of the fun of the book (at least for me) played heavily on my own experience with video games. It was almost like reading a novelization of a Let's Play to a certain degree, a comparison that's not exactly accurate but somewhat close. It's definitely in the vein of similarly themed works like Sword Art Online, .hack, and Log Horizon, however the difference here is that by large the people "trapped" in the video game are there by *choice*. This brought up an interesting plot point because I'm sure that every gamer knows *someone* that would willingly live in a video game if that were possible.

As stated above, this isn't a perfect book. There's some obvious wish fulfillment going on here since Max/Laith tends to have a lot go his way, but it's not to the point where it'd be overly obtrusive or ruin the book. It's pretty much done in a good natured way, playing on every gamer's fantasy about what it'd be like if they stumbled into the same scenario.

In the end I really think that only gamers will truly appreciate this book, although that's not entirely a guarantee - reading about someone playing a game isn't to everyone's tastes after all, which is why I've compared it somewhat to watching a Let's Play. Some of us will devour hours of LPs while others just scratch their head and shrug, not understanding the appeal. I have a feeling that this will be the same, although I don't think that disliking LPs would necessarily mean that you'd dislike this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20