Profile for Doug Gross > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Doug Gross RSS Feed (Indiana)

Mankind: Have a Nice Day - A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks
Mankind: Have a Nice Day - A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks
by Mick Foley
437 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest book I have ever read, August 25, 2000
I finally got the chance to buy Mick Foley's autobiography and read it and let me say that I am glad I did. This book was written by Foley himself and it features no "ghost" writer or anything like that. This is something that Mick wrote on 700+ sheets of paper and it is the tale of one of the greatest wrestling personalities of all time. In the book you'll read about how growing up Mick always idolized "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka and how when he saw him dive of the top of the cage he knew exactly what he wanted to do with his life. You'll learn all about Mick's days of getting paid barely any money to wrestle in some of the worst enviroments ever all the way up to when he won the WWF World Title and accomplished his childhood dream. The thing I found most astonishing was that he was only paid 300 bucks to wrestle in some of the most brutal matches I have ever heard of at the King of the Deathmatch tourney in Japan. Mick also cracks some hilarious jokes and tells all about the crazy things he did as a kid. The contest ribbing of Al Snow is also hilarious and I was laughing histarically while reading it. This is a must buy for all wrestling fans and non-wrestling fans alike.

Mer De Noms
Mer De Noms
Price: $11.99
128 used & new from $0.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Melodic, and extremely good, August 25, 2000
This review is from: Mer De Noms (Audio CD)
Let me start this off by saying that this is NOT Tool. This is nothing like Tool. The only thing in common Tool and A Perfect Circle have is there great singer Maynard James Keenan. Mer De Noms is one of the best albums I have heard in quite a long time. Billy Howerdel is an extremely talented guitar player and his guitars cobined with Troy's guitar playing makes for some of the best guitars I have heard in a long time. Paz plays one mean bass and Josh's drums are just incredible and I can safely say that they are among the best I've ever heard. Of course this band wouldn't be complete without the vocal talent of Maynard, who is one of the greatest singers I have ever heard. Best songs are The Hollow, Magdalena, Judith(almost Tool-like), Orestes, Thomas, and Thinking of You. This is a must buy not only for Tool fans, but for all music fans.

White Pony
White Pony
Offered by IMS Distribution
Price: $11.87
105 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Deftones have really outdone themselves this time, August 22, 2000
This review is from: White Pony (Audio CD)
After listening to White Pony I was literally in awe. This could possibly be the Deftones finest album so far. White Pony is nothing like any of the Deftones other stuff. The majority of the songs are melodic and a much slower tempo than what most Deftones fans are used to. Don't let this scare you away because White Pony still has a few songs like Korea, Street Carp, and Feiticeria that have the heavy beat that all Deftones fans love. The standout track on White Pony is Passenger because it is a collaboration between the 2 best singers in the world, Chino Moreno and Maynard James Keenan(Tool & A Perfect Circle). That song is just breathtaking and you have to hear it yourself. Overall this a must buy album and so far is the album of the year. So if you don't have it yet(shame on you) go get it now!

Live Tracks
Live Tracks
15 used & new from $7.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Live Album, August 13, 2000
This review is from: Live Tracks (Audio CD)
This is probably the best live album I've ever heard. It shows that the Deftones really care about there fans. What I mean by that is that they really interact with their fans during their shows. This is really expressed when Chino stops in the middle of Bored to help a kid find his shoe that he lost and then he lets the kid do a stage dive. This is just another great album to add to my always growing Deftones collection and every album is well worth the money because the Deftones are the best. You must buy this live album now!!!

More Things Change
More Things Change
81 used & new from $1.59

5.0 out of 5 stars This album rocks so much, August 10, 2000
This review is from: More Things Change (Audio CD)
Man does this alum rule or what?? Machine Head once again serves up a great album filled with great heavy metal music. Robb Flynn once again proves that he is one of the best singers around. Logan and Robb once again hit me hard with those heavy riffs that made Burn My Eyes so damn cool. This album is probably not as good as Burn My Eyes, but it comes very close to being better. The best songs from The More Things Change... are Ten Ton Hammer, Take My Scars, Struck A Nerve, The Frontlines, Spine, and Violate. This is also the last Machine Head album that Logan Mader appears on so be sure to pick this up right now!!!

Burn My Eyes
Burn My Eyes
94 used & new from $0.32

5.0 out of 5 stars My God this CD is so Heavy it almost scares me!!, August 10, 2000
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
This has gotta be one of the heaviest albums I have ever heard in my life. Robb Flynn and Logan Mader serve up some of the crunchiest, heaviest, and coolest riffs I have ever heard. The drumming by Chris Kontos(only Machine Head album he was on) is ear piercing to say the least. Robb Flynn also has one of the best voices of any metal singer today. My favorite songs would have to be Davidian, Old, A Thousand Lies, None But My Own, I'm Your God Now, and Block. If you a metal fan then this is a must have.

Adrenaline
Adrenaline
141 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately Gets The Adrenaline Pumping, August 10, 2000
This review is from: Adrenaline (Audio CD)
I love this album. The Deftones are without a shadow of a doubt my favorite band. They create music unlike any other band out there and everytime I buy a Deftones album I know that I will not be dissapointed because they rock so much. I have had this album for awhile and I have had many opportunities to listen to it. I wouldn't say that this is the best Deftones album, but it is just as good as all of their others. Adrenaline has some rockin songs on it including Engine No. 9(My personal favorite), 7 Words, Bored, Minus Blindfold, Root, Lifter, and Nosebleed. This is a must have for all Deftones fans and for any fan of hardcore music.

Around the Fur
Around the Fur
Price: $4.99
111 used & new from $0.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, June 16, 2000
This review is from: Around the Fur (Audio CD)
I love this CD. The Deftones are one of the best bands out there and I think it's a shame that they haven't gotten the exposure that they deserve. I would have to say that this is the better of their 2 CD's that they have out so far. Adrenaline is still an awesome album but Around the Fur is a lot heavier and I like Chino's vocals on this album better. Don't get me wrong or anything I mean both Deftones albums are masterpieces, but I just prefer this one over Adrenaline. The best songs are My Own Summer(Shove It), Around The Fur, Rickets, Lotion, and my personal favorite Headup. I would highly recommend that you pick up this CD and Adrenaline as well. I can't wait until White Pony comes out, but until it does I still have Adrenaline and Around the Fur to jam to.