Profile for webhawk50 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 224

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

webhawk50 RSS Feed (Houston, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
HooToo HT-UH010 7-Port USB 3.0 HUB with 2 Smart Charging Ports for iPad/iPhone/SAMSUNG/HTC Smartphone/Tablet (12V/5A Power Adapter(8ft), USB 3.0 Cable, Latest VIA VL812-B2 Chipset and 9081 Firmware Updated)
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $44.99
4 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The HooToo HT-UH010 USB hub fits my needs perfectly, May 15, 2015
I really needed this because I have such a slew of USB gadgets from external hard drives to keyboards to webcams, etc. that I had all of my 6 USB slots on my computer maxed out. The HooToo HT-UH010 fits the bill perfectly. I even have 4 high speed slots left for even more gadgets. I've now had it long enough to say that it hasn't yet stopped working or burned up on me which is to say that it works beautifully. I do have to say, however, that I have not used it for charging phones or tablets. Great product I can highly recommend.

Logitech Type-S Thin and Light Protective Keyboard Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (920-006401)
Price: $75.99
31 used & new from $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine except with Web Access Outlook email, April 18, 2015
This could have been a great product. Unfortunately, when I use it with my company Web Access Outlook email, which is what I primarily use my tablet for, it is an exercise in total frustration to the point now that I am better off using the built in tablet keyboard instead. At first, I thought it wasn't working at all, but then I discovered the "secret": I have to continually tap the screen (usually several times) in order to get it to respond and the letters to show up (otherwise, the cursor moves but nothing shows up on screen). Once I get it to "sync" with the tablet, I may be able to type as much as a single word (!) before it stops responding again or, as is more often the case, jumping to some other random place on the screen. It works great with word-processing programs although not so great with spreadsheets. I will probably end up trying Samsung's own keyboard which is considerably more expensive. It's really too bad since it works fine otherwise, but because I absolutely have to have it work with Web Access Outlook, it is essentially worthless to me.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit [HD]
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit [HD]
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous but entertaining & fun Bond clone, March 20, 2015
Okay. It’s almost all true what has already been said about Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit; cliché after cliché, etc. Predictable? You betcha. It’s all been done before and done better. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is a shadow clone of the James Bond variety with Chris Pine as the secret agent (okay, he’s a CIA analyst/operator) and Kevin Costner as his “M” controller. The plot is fundamentally ridiculous and full of holes so large that you could you could drive a stealth bomber through it, but I still liked it. In spite of its ridiculousness, I enjoyed it enough that I’ve actually watched it twice. Admittedly, I enjoyed it a little less the second time through, but I was still able to stick with it all the way through. Pine is fine as is Costner and Branaugh. I found Knightley’s performance far less interesting or convincing, but given the fact that she didn’t really have a lot to do, I’ll give her a pass. Bottom line is I've given it 4 stars in spite of its many flaws simply because it provides some good old action and entertainment and the acting is really pretty decent in spite of the silly plot and abundant absurdities. Would I recommend it to others? Not necessarily. This is one that you’ll definitely have to decide on for yourself. But, of course, doesn’t that apply to about every movie made?

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 [HD]
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 [HD]
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Primarily a link between the first two movies and the finale, March 13, 2015
Okay but not nearly as engaging as the first two; important, I suppose, for the overall development of the plot, but still rather laggy action-wise compared to the previous installments. This is not to say it was "bad", with Jennifer Lawrence turning in another fine performance. I would still recommend it as an essential component needed to understand the overall arc of the entire story line.

Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Price: $249.95
40 used & new from $212.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far: well worth the expense for me, January 7, 2015
The only toaster ovens I've ever owned in my life have been the usual standard cheap kind which always proved to be of very little use or value. The Breville BOV800XL, however, is a horse of a completely different feather. This is like the Lexus (or pick your fav luxury vehicle) of toaster ovens. I'm not a cook. That is, I have avoided cooking most of my life except on a very limited basis. But eating out all the time has gotten extremely boring not to mention expensive, so I figured, why not invest in something that I might actually use? Enter the Breville. Beautifully designed (for the most part; I'll get to that). So far, I've baked up chicken legs, salmon, bacon, grilled cheese sandwiches, English muffins, toast and I've got many more plans for it in the coming months.

Make no mistake: this sucker is big. So if counter-top space is at a premium, that could be an issue. But I WANTED a big one; one that i could bake a 13" pizza in without having to chop it up into smaller pieces. Sure, I burned one of my pizzas and last night I set off the smoke alarm trying to bake some chicken with the heat turned up too high. That's not the fault of the Breville; that's the doins of a not-too-smart cook.

The only actual quibble I have--and this quibble almost caused me to take a star away except for the fact that everything else is so great about it--is that the knobs feel kind of cheap and wobbly. Should they ever break off (or whatever), I would then definitely remove a star. But for now, I am so impressed with it that I think it is well worth the expense. And yes, it is that: expensive, but it does what it does so well.

SanDisk Extreme 32GB UHS-I/U3 Micro SDHC Memory Card Up To 60MB/s Read With Adapte-SDSDQXN-032G-G46A [Newest Version]
Price: $21.99
34 used & new from $16.35

5.0 out of 5 stars It works perfectly, January 7, 2015
There's really not a whole lot to say about this other than the fact that it works and it works perfectly.

The Peripheral
The Peripheral
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary work! Gibson at his best., December 28, 2014
This review is from: The Peripheral (Kindle Edition)
This is first time that I can recall ever having read a book three times in succession. Such is the power of The Peripheral by William Gibson. I am the first to admit that I am extremely biased when it comes to Gibson’s writings. There has not yet been a single book that I’ve read of his that I didn’t like. Yes, that even includes his book about pants (Zero History), a book which developed one of my all-time favorite literary characters, Milgrim.
The Peripheral, however, is more of a return to his Neuromancer days that made Gibson famous in the first place and got him designated as the “father of Cyberpunk.” None of that matters to me, however. I simply enjoy great writing and Gibson scores in a huge way with The Peripheral. So much so, that I would probably have to put it as my favorite Gibson book ever (if I were forced to choose, that is).

In The Peripheral, the reader is immediately injected into a future world without any preamble or explanation, leaving the reader alone and lost for quite a number of pages before any explanations are forthcoming. It is as if you have been dumped into a vast forest without a map or compass, but this particular forest is far stranger than any forest you’ve ever been in; indeed with no similarity at all to any forest you’ve ever seen or been in before. What absolute fun and delight it is, being led out of that confusion by this master writer in his own good time and at his own brilliant pace! Gibson takes you back and forth, back and forth—short chapter to short chapter--between a near future world and another farther future world—the post-jackpot world--70 years beyond that; a world in which everything has changed dramatically. Gibson does not, however, create the usual, typical dystopian future world of most sci-fi works. Both of his future worlds are much more interesting in their respective components than that. The interplay of these worlds and the core of the story: a noir-like murder mystery constitute the primary elements of the book.

I am not going to attempt to synopsize The Peripheral any more than that. I will again say, that I am glad that I have a Kindle to read Gibson on because his combination of vocabulary and overwhelming wealth of trivia is almost unbelievable in its complexity at times. For me, however, that is much of the fun of reading Gibson: I always learn something. I will only say that Gibson once again creates wonderful and memorable characters that are fleshed out on a need-to-know basis. He never gets you lost in extraneous detail like so many authors fall prey to. Gibson always knows how to trim the fat off a story, leaving us with just those essential details needed to move the story forward.

I cannot praise The Peripheral enough. Read it. Highly recommended.

3 Days to Kill
3 Days to Kill
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars An annoying mishmash of violence and sappy sentimentality, December 28, 2014
3 Days to Kill COULD have been a decent enough movie. There are people who are going to love it and others, such as myself who find it trite, predictable and exasperating. It is unequal parts entertaining in a goofy dramedy sort of way combined with extreme sentimental corniness to the point of being little more than annoying much of the time. It also mixes that sappy sentimentality with usually extreme violence. This rarely bodes well for a film. By the end of the movie, I could only come to one conclusion: although it contains a number of decent enough entertaining moments, this movie as a whole is really bad. Its sole saving grace, if one can call it that, is Kevin Costner. Costner does well as a gravel-voiced CIA agent, dying dad and badass, but the overall script is so bad that even Costner’s talents could not redeem it from its overall ridiculousness. By the time we reach the final exasperating Costner breakdown at the end, the annoyance level is so extreme that I had to yell in disgust at the screen.

3 Days to Kill pushes the limits of credibility to an absurd degree on virtually every level. It tries very hard to be funny and there are indeed several moments that had me smiling. But it is so corny and sappy overall that it is just flat out annoying most of the time. Our hero, Kevin Costner, is an international bad-ass capable of killing entire roomfuls of bad guys and yet is a complete idiot when it comes to his own daughter. Of course, that is the supposedly entire point of this movie and, of course, we've seen this kind of device many times in other movies.

In addition, on top of all of the goofiness, I found the beautiful Amber Heard’s performance as the CIA agent in charge of running Costner so poorly acted and annoying that I was really kind of hoping for her demise by the end. Instead, her obnoxious character was turned into a kind of Santa Claus. I suppose that was done in order to try to convey the idea that she was not such a completely self-obsessed jerk after all. I’ve seen really good actors in many bad movies who even then usually try their best to bring something real to their character, but Heard apparently lacks the kind of acting chops needed to bring her character to life beyond this phony, cartoon stereotype she portrays, so she comes across as nothing more than an all-knowing, all-seeing, self-inflated bitch from hell. I’m sure the director had something to do with this, but still, I would think a decent actor could manage to find something to rise beyond this smug, ugly character she portrays.

And while I’m at it, the need to throw a family of house squatters into an already ridiculous situation almost appears as a desperate shotgun attempt to introduce yet another element into the story which has absolutely no relevance to the main story. It is yet one more sentimental contrivance, I suppose, to convey the essential underlying “humanity” and fundamental “goodness” of this CIA killer.

I managed to watch this turkey all the way through without turning it off. It had at least that much going for it. But in the end, I’d wished that I hadn’t bothered to stay with it. It simply wasn’t worth my time.

Bejeweled 2
Bejeweled 2
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bejeweled 2 is addictive, fun and almost relaxing to play, December 13, 2014
This review is from: Bejeweled 2 (App)
Okay. I admit it. I'm addicted and love this game. I am not, as a rule, much of a game player and and I really don't enjoy playing most games. Bejeweled 2I is simple yet challenging and I find it almost relaxing for those moments when I have a few minutes to kill. I play Bejeweled 2 exclusively on my Samsung Galaxy tablet, which brings up my only gripe and almost tempts me to rate it 4 stars instead of 5, except for the fact that it plays so well: it will only play only in portrait mode and not in landscape mode, which is the mode I normally use when using my tablet. This means I have to flip my tablet "sideways" (keyboard and all) in order to play it. It does not reorient itself to the landscape position. Other than that, I love this game and recommend it highly to those like myself who just want an interesting and challenging game.

Dell Dell Tablet Keyboard - Slim for Venue 11 Pro (2K3H1)
Dell Dell Tablet Keyboard - Slim for Venue 11 Pro (2K3H1)
Offered by Lucky Dog Liquidators
Price: $62.00
30 used & new from $59.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor design and flimsy connections prevent this from being useful on the road., December 13, 2014
Purchased by my company for their road reps. The problem is that I use it 90% of the time inside my company vehicle and it usually takes a lot of fiddling/readjusting to keep it plugged in and working. Once functioning, it works okay; nothing spectacular by any means. A number of my clients also have the Dell Venue Pro 11 tablet with the slim keyboard as well and a number of them are so disgusted with it that they have unplugged the keyboard and won't even use it anymore. I am about at that point myself, except for the fact that I hate using the virtual onscreen keyboard for my work. I usually wind up having to lay out both the tablet and keyboard flat (on my lap!) in order to be able to use it; not a great situation while sitting in a car.

I have two Samsung tablets for my personal use that use bluetooth keyboards and I have never had this kind of connection problem that I've had with the Dell slim keyboard, primarily because the Dell keyboard relies on physical connections rather than Bluetooth. There are, to be sure, issues with Bluetooth as well; just not as many as I've had with the Dell . I suppose if you use this keyboard in a fairly stable, non-moving environment, such as on a desk, it might be adequate, but for road men like myself, it is almost useless much of the time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20