Profile for Dr. Avery > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dr. Avery RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Vizio E321VL 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV - Black
Vizio E321VL 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Disposable Television., June 24, 2015
This television is a disposable piece of junk. So why the extra star?

The picture was great right up until the EEPROM finally gave out. Lots of inputs and input types. 1080i and 720p. lightweight and easy to move. But the fact remains, I have a television in which nearly every part works perfectly well, except that it will not boot past the logo screen. If you can find one on sale, It's a great starter tv to hold you over until you get something better. Just don't get too attached.

Consumer electronics should be more robust than this.

It was nice while it lasted, but I will never purchase a Vizio again.

Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Colin Firth
Price: $19.99
53 used & new from $12.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone who hates this film seems to hate it for the exact same reason., June 8, 2015
If you're prone to being offended, this isn't going to be the movie for you. Then again, I find that most people who spend a lot of time being offended tend to go out of their way to be offended, in which case, this will be just the thing!

Do you believe there is such a thing as too much swearing?
Does sodomy offend you?
Does stylized violence get your dander all hackled?
Are disrespectful representations of the President of the United States wrong?
Is parkour lame and played out?

OK -- parkour is played out and lame, but if you answered yes to any of the other questions, you should give this one a pass.

I don't really need to say anything about the movie, because the audience for whom this movie was made already knows everything they need to know just by reading my warnings.

Take Five Candy Bars, Snack Size, 11.25-Ounce Packages (Pack of 6)
Take Five Candy Bars, Snack Size, 11.25-Ounce Packages (Pack of 6)
Offered by myclothbaby
Price: $35.78
6 used & new from $35.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet: Check, May 29, 2015
Sweet: Check.
Salty: Check.
Umami: Check.

Caramel, peanuts, peanut butter, and pretzels -- all covered in chocolate. The whole is somehow greater than the sum of its parts.

Pinemeadow Golf Pre Copper Wedge, Right Hand, Steel, Regular, 56-Degree
Pinemeadow Golf Pre Copper Wedge, Right Hand, Steel, Regular, 56-Degree
Price: $29.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't possibly tell you that it's a good wedge or a bad one, May 26, 2015
It's a snazzy copper wedge. I couldn't possibly tell you that it's a good wedge or a bad one, because this club is as likely to get me into trouble as it is to get me out of trouble. Of course, the same would be true with a $500 custom grind wedge.

So it gets me on the course and out of the sand at a price I can afford, until I'm good enough to know the difference between a good club and a bad one.

Thomastik-Infeld JF345 Bass Guitar Strings: Jazz Flat Wounds 5-String Long Scale Set; Pure Nickel Flats G, D, A, E, B Set
Price: $112.87
15 used & new from $102.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Precisely what I was looking for., May 26, 2015
If you're here looking at reviews, there's a good chance you've been eyeing these strings and wondering whether or not it's worth it to drop more than a C note on a set of strings. You've probably seen a lot of reviews in which people sing the unconditional praises of the TI jazz flats, and an alarming number of reviews in which people describe the strings as having the tension of "loose rubber bands". Even the people who like the strings claim that they require a gentle touch because of the low tension of these strings.

This may be a true perception for those who are used to a higher tension flatwound. However, by raising my action at the saddles, I was easily able to provide a level of tension and playability comparable to the roundwounds GHS I previously had on my Ibanez SR-375, and avoid fret-buzz all the way down the neck. The B string is fairly monstrous on these (.136), and may require that you have your nut filed for it to fit correctly. I did this myself (probably ill-advised), but if I'd had a spare $50 lying around, I would not have hesitated to bring my instrument in for a proper setup.

Whether you do it yourself, or bring it to an expert, you are almost certainly going to need a full setup when installing these strings.

I moved to flats because I'm looking for a less metallic, woodier, and more centered fundamental tone with less string noise. These strings help me to accomplish all of this. If you're looking for a snappy slap and pop funk sound, this probably isn't going to be your string.

Is it worth it to lay down the cheddar for fancy strings from Austria? I cannot answer that question for you.

All I can say for certain, is that had I not, there would still be a lingering question in my mind as to whether or not I had the right strings on my bass. In the end, I got the tone I was looking for - so it was worth it for me.

Prepworks from Progressive International GT-7436 Jumbo Stainless Steel Tower Grater, 11-Inch
Price: $12.99
14 used & new from $11.77

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a cheese grater, but better., March 27, 2015
No one gets too excited about grating cheese. This product isn't going to change your life. That said, the large grating surface speeds up the process of grating, the 3-footed design ensures stability, and the handle is comfortable.

Vestiges & Claws
Vestiges & Claws
Price: $11.99
38 used & new from $7.35

3.0 out of 5 stars The on this album are ok, but it all ..., March 27, 2015
This review is from: Vestiges & Claws (Audio CD)
The on this album are ok, but it all comes across as a bit more 'radio friendly' than his other two albums. This final product is listenable, but less than special.

Carmex Lip Balm, 0.35 oz
Carmex Lip Balm, 0.35 oz
Offered by ValueChoice1
Price: $4.98
30 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless for cracked lips., February 24, 2015
This review is from: Carmex Lip Balm, 0.35 oz (Grocery)
I live in Southern Arizona, and this stuff is useless for dry, cracked lips. To make matters worse, carmex just dries the skin out even more.

Skip the balm, and find a moisturizer.

Fender Strat Cutting Board
Fender Strat Cutting Board
Price: $22.31
6 used & new from $16.72

2.0 out of 5 stars the tone isn't very good., December 19, 2014
It looks alright, but even after installing the hardware, the tone isn't very good.

Mandatory Fun
Mandatory Fun
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not your best work. Still, October 31, 2014
This review is from: Mandatory Fun (MP3 Music)
Sorry Al. It's not your best work.

Still, it was worth the purchase to see you finally get some recognition. I mean other than all those gold and platinum records.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5