Profile for J. Lance > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Lance RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA USA)

Guardians of the Galaxy (Theatrical) [HD]
Guardians of the Galaxy (Theatrical) [HD]
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars the best light-hearted sci-fi/comedy I've seen all year, December 13, 2014
Hands-down, the best light-hearted sci-fi/comedy I've seen all year.

Saint Nicholas
Saint Nicholas
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative spin on a classic folktale, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Saint Nicholas (Kindle Edition)
A welcomed (and timely) spin on a classic folktale. Origin stories are among my favorites; here's to hoping there is more adventures to come with Nick. A generous offer from the author nicely executed.

LZR-1143: Evolution (Book Two of the LZR-1143 Series)
LZR-1143: Evolution (Book Two of the LZR-1143 Series)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic addition to the genre, October 2, 2013
Bryan is not only communicative to his fans, but additionally his work is a wonderfully-crafted addition to the genre. The characters are rich, the storyline(s) organic, and the balance of humor and emotion spot-on. Very entertaining!

And if you're new to the series, he is wrapping-up his 3rd book at the time of this writing. Can't wait -- give it a try, you're going to like it (or love it, like I do).

Hellifax (Mountain Man Book 3)
Hellifax (Mountain Man Book 3)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic storytelling of the post-apocalyptic genre -- all three books are very well written thoroughly enjoyable, March 5, 2013
Keith creates believable, well-rounded characters of depth that are as vibrant as the world they are cast into. This series (Mountain Man books 1, 2, & 3) develop quite well over time; the characters and settings kept pace with each other and complemented the world as a whole. The sense of humor, subject to individual interpretation of course, was spot-on for me (as evidenced by multiple public outbursts of laughter). Keith simply "gets it." He doesn't attempt to gloss-over the horrors of the genre, rather, he explores the ethics and mores of each characters, each deservedly unique. With each book improving upon its successor, know that if you enjoyed either of the first two books you should certainly enjoy the Hellifax. As my Kindle percentage read closer and closer to 100 I found myself wanting more. Much more.

Kudos, Keith! A job well done -- and to echo several other reviewers, more would be appreciated should you have the inclination to revisit the series.

Arrow: The Complete First Season
Arrow: The Complete First Season
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars An origin story that keeps the pace quite well; love the island story, January 12, 2013
Started with and maintained a good pace of a hero's origin story. Some interesting writing decisions in terms of living arrangements, but overall a solid, fun, and compelling product. A good incorporation of villains throughout. Perhaps my favorite part of the story that is executed VERY well is the time spent on the island. Looking forward to season two!

Game of Thrones: Season 1 [HD]
Game of Thrones: Season 1 [HD]
Price: $38.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, powerful & very well crafted.. just NOT on Instant Demand, September 6, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed Game of Thrones Season I (INSTANT DEMAND) and picked it up after having read the first novel.

Now well into the 3rd novel, I am wondering when Amazon will get Season Two on instant demand.... still waiting with money in my pocket. Good thing I have my Kindle!

Jeff

Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap)
Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap)
Offered by S&W Group
Price: $69.99
8 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with my Forerunner 405 - just wet the contacts and you're set, January 27, 2010
(Please note: the other user's negative review for this item is not accurate. The photo pictured is accurate for the Premium HRM, Product Number 010-10997-02. See below for update to original review.)

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I tested out my friend's Premium Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) on the trail this weekend and was extremely impressed and ordered mine yesterday. (My hat is off to Amazon - this is a better deal than dealer's pricing.)

The premium HRM is an excellent accessory to my Forerunner 405, which I initially purchased without a HRM, and the additional data set will be a big help to me when charting my progress and seeing gains over the same terrain over time, not to mention a decent "zone" training aid when road cycling.

A VERY IMPORTANT ITEM OF NOTE that people tend to forget/ignore when using these HRMs is that you need to wet the contacts for an accurate reading. You can use water, or simply rub some spit on in a pinch, but I would recommend swinging by a running store and getting a bottle of gel - it's cheap and it lasts forever, plus in my experience it provides the most accurate data... which is what we're interested in with these toys, right? :)

Enjoy! I know I will - happy trails.
----
UPDATE, Feb. 11th: Just a brief follow-on update from my original pre-review.

After three runs, this HRM functions beautifully. I have zero data spikes, my 405 picks up the signal immediately, and I haven't even had to use my runner's electrode gel for the contacts; just wet the contacts in the sink and strap it on and go. Simply put, it works PERFECTLY.

It's also great having the training data to see which zone I'm training in or "Why did that run suck so hard?!"... oh, my hr was sky-rocketing and I was pushing too hard for event 'x'.

I would post an image here if I could so you could see the solid data and corresponding Garmin Connect screen capture.

Solid product, five stars.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2012 7:54 AM PST