Profile for Roger J. Buffington > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 157

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Roger J. Buffington RSS Feed (Huntington Beach, CA United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kensington SureTrack Any Surface Wireless Bluetooth Mouse
Kensington SureTrack Any Surface Wireless Bluetooth Mouse
Price: $32.00
61 used & new from $24.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Bluetooth mouse, October 1, 2014
I have had great luck with Kensington products and this Mouse is no exception. This is a really good Bluetooth Mouse. Here are the reasons for my 5 Star rating:

1. Ergonomics -- I love the feel of the mouse in my hand. The scroll wheel has a nice feel to it also, as do the right and left click buttons. The buttons have just the right amount of tension. The rubberized scroll wheel is a nice touch, and I like the rubberized sides and hard plastic top surfaces. This all comes together as a very ergonomic device.

2. This "SureTrack" mouse really is exactly that. My otherwise excellent Amazon mouse has trouble with some mousepad surfaces. This mouse absolutely does not.

3. Pairing -- could not have been easier with my HP ZBook 17 running Windows 7.

4. Batteries -- it uses AA not AAA which means longer life between batteries. Plus the AA batteries give the mouse extra heft and weight.

5. Appearance -- the black styling looks very businesslike and professional.

Overall the above traits make this Mouse a real pleaser. I don't really have any disses to this mouse and I could not think of any reason it does not deserve five stars. Plus, from a subjective perspective, this mouse is a pleaser. Highly recommended. RJB.

How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail: What You Need to Know About the Law If You Own a Gun or Are Thinking of Buying One : California Edition 2008
by John F. Machtinger
24 used & new from $6.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent California gun law guide, September 27, 2014
California has enacted a complicated and unfriendly regime of laws that regulate gun ownership and use. This book explains all this mess in an organized and easy to follow format. Plus, this book is simply darned interesting to read if you are a California gun owner/enthusiast, as I am. I am a lawyer myself, and I have read and understood the California statutes directly, but I still find this book interesting and useful and I still find myself referring to it. One caveat is that you have to watch out for recent gun law changes after the publication of this book. The California Legislature is full of anti-gun politicians and it is a rare year that a change in the law (to make things harder for gun owners and users) is not on the table. But other than that, this book is pretty much the "last word" in how to conform to California's gun laws. Recommended. RJB.

KINGLAKE® New Waterproof Wireless Bluetooth Shower Speaker Handsfree Speakerphone Compatible with All Bluetooth Devices Iphone 5s and All Android Devices (Blue)
Offered by iCrown Direct
Price: $16.99
10 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what it is, September 22, 2014
I received one of these units for evaluation (disclosure). I have been using it to stream music to my shower from my iPod for the past two weeks and it works great for that. Its charge seems to last for many weeks based upon a 20 minute/day usage rate. The volume is amazing -- this speaker has all of the zippity do-dah you could ask for. Music quality is good. For its intended purpose there is really nothing much to improve on here.

Once the unit is paired and charged up, you can leave it alone for weeks at a time. Just start streaming music to it with an iPod or other music-generating device and this speaker will provide you with sound in your shower. In practice I have found that this unit is very unobtrusive and simply works when you want it to. Fit and finish and construction seem good, and very waterproof. RJB.

Bolse® 5W Portable Mini Bluetooth v4.0 Wireless Speaker (One Large 45MM 5W Driver), 10 Hour Playtime, Home Speakers, Wireless Cell Phone Car Speakerphones, Computer Speakers, For iPhone, iPad, Tablet, PC, Smartphones
Offered by LowerPriceUSA
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably good and great looking small bluetooth speaker, September 21, 2014
First the disclosure -- I received one of these C5 speakers for evaluation. I turn down about 95% of such offers, but since I had a real need for an additional bluetooth speaker, I took these folks up on it. Readers have my word that receiving a free demo unit does not effect my evaluation and I will explain why I gave this unit 5 stars.

1. Ease of setting up. Couldn't be easier. You charge it up, turn it on, and it immediately goes into Bluetooth pairing mode. I had it paired to my iPhone in about 10 seconds.

2. Sound. For a speaker this small, the sound is very, very good. My family likes to listen to rock music out in our backyard. This unit had sufficient volume for our patio area and the sound is quite good. Exceptionally good for a speaker in this price range.

3. The unit charges up from a standard micro USB cable. This is a plus. Some speakers use nonstandard connections; this one doesn't so your home charging station will likely be all ready to support this speaker.

4. Battery life is good.

5. Looks -- this unit is gorgeous. Its metallic case is sure to add class to any room or to your patio.

6. Price. You could pay a LOT more money and not get a better Bluetooth speaker.

By the way this speaker also comes with a stereo jack for those few of you who will do a wired connection rather than Bluetooth. Perhaps to a TV set or whatnot.

Overall I am impressed. Recommended RJB.

GOgroove BassPULSE 2.1 Stereo Speaker Sound System with Powered Subwoofer for Desktops , Laptops , Tablets , MP3 Players , Home Theater & More!
Offered by AndrewSet
Price: $59.99
4 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic looks and great sound, September 21, 2014
My son wanted a good pair of speakers for his rather elaborate computer setup, and he selected these speakers. After evaluating them, I must say that I am impressed. The sound is excellent, particularly the bass, courtesy of the powered subwoofer. The looks of these speakers is ultramodern and attractive, what with the blue lights and all. All in all these speakers are designed to please for those looking for a pretty good set of speakers for a computer setup. RJB.

Tech World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 3)
Tech World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 3)
Price: $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Darned good military science fiction yarn and series, September 18, 2014
I like the "Undying Mercenaries" series a lot, and this is the third novel in the series. I gave it four stars only because I liked the first novel quite a bit better, but this one is quite good and well worth a read. This novel and series do an excellent job of extrapolating what it might be like if a Galactic Empire far, far advanced over Earth were to suddenly make contact with our planet. The Empire's technology is so far ahead of Earth technology that, as the great Arthur Clarke once said, it is almost indistinguishable from magic. The Empire is ruthless and pitiless, but also old and perhaps corrupt, allowing the wily Earthmen to create a niche within it, albeit not without a great deal of pain and dislocation.

This story is quite interesting and fun, but at times seems to go off track and a few times I had trouble following the storyline. By and large though, this is a fun and interesting story that moves fast and holds the reader's interest. Recommended, and I am waiting for the fourth installment.

Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A to B Cable in Blue 6 Feet
Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A to B Cable in Blue 6 Feet
Offered by Cable Matters
Price: $6.49
2 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Seem fine to me., September 18, 2014
I use USB 3.0 devices and for those that use this type of connector, e.g. USB 3.0 hubs these cables are fine, and work just fine. You want to check to make sure what kind of connector your USB 3.0 device needs, as there is more than one configuration. As best I can tell the quality of construction of this cable is quite good. Recommended. RJB.

power supply 200W - original 677764-002 for Hewlett Packard EliteBook 8560w, 8570w, 8740w, 8760w, 8770w / ZBook 17
Offered by I.T. Surplus Liquidators
Price: $99.95
2 used & new from $75.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with my HP ZBook 17 and Elitebook, September 18, 2014
This is a hefty 200 watt power supply that works perfectly with the Elitebook 8770W or ZBook 17 computer. Both of these Notebook computers require a hefty power supply and this one does the job. It works great; not much more to say. Recommended. RJB.

Time Limit
Time Limit
DVD
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful film and bravo performance by Richard Widmark, September 17, 2014
This review is from: Time Limit (Amazon Instant Video)
Richard Widmark has always been one of my favorites. In this powerful film, Richard Widmark is a senior JAG officer tasked to investigate apparent acts of treason by an American officer POW in Korea. The Korean War is over now, and one officer committed acts in collaboration with the enemy such as signing leaflets affirming germ warfare by America, and the like.

At first the whole matter seems clear-cut, but Widmark soon discovers that all of the involved POWs at the camp are hiding a terrible secret. Army politics intrude into the investigation, and only the integrity of the JAG officer prevents possible injustice. More would be telling, but this is a fine film that shows that many acts of wrongdoing involve shades of grey and extenuation. I had seen this film as a teenager, and it made quite an impression on me. It is terrific that this excellent film is now available on Amazon Instant Video. Don't miss it. RJB.

Marching With Caesar: Rebellion
Marching With Caesar: Rebellion
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The series continues into the third generation, September 17, 2014
"Marching with Caesar--Rebellion" follows the third generation of the family of Titus Pullus into the Roman Army in the times of Augustus Caesar. Like the entire series, this novel features extreme attention to detail and realism, together with a linear plot and characters that keep the reader's interest throughout. I have been reading this entire series and it does not disappoint. This novel and series really do give the reader some idea what life might have been like for Legionaries in the Roman Army. I will naturally be avidly waiting for the next installment in the series. RJB.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20