Profile for Bugeah > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bugeah RSS Feed

The Complete Tightwad  Gazette
The Complete Tightwad Gazette
by Amy Dacyczyn
Price: $16.19
85 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful!, May 2, 2011
This is a VERY big book that is filled to the brim with useful tips for saving money and the planet. The Tightwad Gazette was a bi-weekly newsletter that circulated during the early 90's. This book is the collection of all those newletters put together. More than anything else, the book is about saving money. The environmentally-friendly part is more of an added bonus rather than a goal, and oftentimes she gives tips that aren't environmentally friendly at all yet are great on the pocketbook. This woman is very creative and she truly enjoys being a tightwad.

There are many tips in this book, from homemade costume ideas for the kids, to reusing frozen juice can lids, to saving money on your electric bill. Some aspects of the book are outdated, such as the prices she lists for items, but most of the information she gives is still relevant. It's a shame that she quit writing the newsletter since she had such an abundance of good ideas, but I am extremely thankful that she was able to preserve the original data through this book. I think this book is essential for anyone interested in saving a few dollars, or for anyone who wants to find creative ways to reuse everyday items. I really can't stress enough the usefulness of this awesome book.

I think my favorite tips so far are all the uses for old frozen juice lids, and the recipe for making homemade play dough to give for a child's birthday. I also really like how she has it broken into seasons. Sometimes the tips have nothing to do with a particular season, but sometimes they do (costumes for Halloween, heating options in winter, yard sale tips for summer, etc.). Hearing about her accomplishments is very encouraging. It's quite amazing how they survive on so little.

Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Ind ependence: Revised and Updated for the 21st Century
by Vicki Robin
Price: $9.43
97 used & new from $6.88

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really changed my view of money, April 27, 2011
This book is one of the most profound and intriguing books I've ever read. Honestly. It is what introduced me to the brainwashing of our media outlets, and what brought my attention to the massive over-spending of our society. I've always considered myself to be a thrifty person, but this book helped me to see where I was still spending needlessly. And more than that, it showed me how to save and invest so that some day I can quit the rat race forever. Despite how old this book is, it is still extremely useful information that works just as well today as it did when it was written.

"Your Money Or Your Life" is essentially the Bible of the voluntary simplicity movement. They don't tell you what you can and can't buy, but they give you a lot of reason not to waste your money on things you don't need. Joe and Vicki were able to create this 9-step plan that can free you from the working world. It's a pretty simple plan, but it takes a lot of self-discipline and motivation to complete. I myself have tried to follow the plan twice and fell off the bandwagon each time. It's not for anything that the writers did; it was just me getting sucked into bad spending habits by other people and advertisements. For example, my husband has a very different view of money and thinks that money will always be there and should be spent when received, especially on entertainment and tech gadgets. So, if I stick to my miserly ways I have to deal with his disappointment.

I personally find a lot of enjoyment out of doing the graph and keeping track of how much money comes in and goes out, but I get a bit depressed and overwhelmed when I spend more than I bring in. I think that is when I get discouraged and give up. I plan to start this program again next month and hopefully I will not let anything else get in the way. I really dislike my job and would like to quit, so the faster I can get to "FI" (Financial Independence), the better. I recommend this book to all my friends, family, and even strangers. It's well organized, informative, and it works! There are many success stories if you just do a search for "FI success stories". They even include quite a few throughout the book as motivation. I hope that you will give this book a try and find out what it can do for your financial life.