Profile for W. Jackson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. Jackson "Wino" RSS Feed (Georgia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Jasmine S34C NEX Acoustic Guitar
Jasmine S34C NEX Acoustic Guitar
Price: $119.99
15 used & new from $104.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice guitar for the money., August 3, 2014
Just got the Jasmine S34C a few days ago, so this is a preliminary review. I noticed that the protective cover was not on the pick guard, and there was a few very light scratches on it, so I assume this was a return. Wish it would have been sold as a return and not as new. The guitar is very light weight, which sort of through me off at first. It looks really nice for a $119.00. It had good strings on it, but I put some new D'addario 12's on it. The action seemed a little high, so I sanded down the saddle a little, and now the action is good for me. The intonation was a little off on the E(6) string, but after sanding down the saddle the intonation is about right now, lucky accident.lol It sounds good for the price to me.

Fender 3150R Original Bullets Pure Nickel Bullet End Electric Guitar Strings - Regular
Price: $5.19
20 used & new from $5.10

1.0 out of 5 stars E (1) string broke before I could even get it ..., August 1, 2014
E (1) string broke before I could even get it half way tightened up to be in tune. No more Fender strings for me. I didn't buy these at Amazon, but at a local national guitar shop.

Squier by Fender BulletStrat w/Trem, Fiesta Red
Squier by Fender BulletStrat w/Trem, Fiesta Red
Price: Click here to see our price
26 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It might be cheap, but man is it fun., June 28, 2014
I didn't get my Fiesta Red Bullet Strat from Amazon, but got it from another online music store. I was very leery when I ordered it, thinking that something this cheap can't be good, but I was wrong. I also have a Squire Jaguar, but after getting this little red bullet I haven't picked it up. The playability, sound, and quality are amazing for a guitar of this price. Mine will go out of tune pretty fast if you go heavy on the tremolo, but other than that it stays in tune pretty good. I wish it had better tuners, but I'm very happy with it, and have a ball with it. I call her Little Red. Oh, and it looks great too.

Update 8-30-2014:

Still loving the Fiesta Red Bullet Strat(Little Red). It is a fun little guitar to play. The playability and sound are amazing. I bought a used 2012 American Standard Stratocaster. I had 30 days to return it for any reason, and after about 15 days I returned it because I liked playing the Bullet more. I know it sounds crazy, can't believe it myself. I think the main reason I like the Bullet is because it has a thinner neck than the American Standard, so it is easier for me to play. One thing that bothers me about the bullet is it will go out of tune when I hit the tremolo, even if I try a little Hank Marvin type light tremoloing. The used American Standard I bought was missing the tremolo arm when I received it, and I first thought "no big deal I'll just buy another tremolo arm", but I was able to tremolo it by pushing down on the bridge, and it went out of tune about as bad as the bullet, so I just returned the American Standard for a refund.

The Guitar Handbook
The Guitar Handbook
by Ralph Denyer
Price: $20.10
149 used & new from $1.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar book every guitar player can find very useful., March 29, 2014
This review is from: The Guitar Handbook (Paperback)
I originally bought the guitar handbook over 20 years ago, and really loved it then. This newer updated version is even better. It's got information about every aspect of the guitar, playing, music theory, and construction. It's written in a way as to make it vwery easy to learn these subjects.

Micca MB42X Bookshelf Speakers with 4-Inch Carbon Fiber Woofer and Silk Dome Tweeter, Black
Offered by Micca Distributor
Price: $99.95
2 used & new from $75.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding speakers!, December 24, 2013
Just got the Micca MB42X's yesterday, and have been playing them ever since. They sound great, and are not even broken in yet. I got these Micca's to run as PC desktop speakers with a Lepai T-amp, but after hearing how great they sound I decided to compare them to the Pioneer SP-BS22's in the living room, which are powered by a Onkyo TX-8255 receiver. I love the Pioneer's very much, but I'll have to say these Micca's sound just as good. The Pioneer's have a little more warmer airy sound, but the Micca's aren't broken in yet, so this will probably change. In my opinion if you are beyond buying something because of it's name, and you want great sound at a low price, then get these fast!, and be happy.

Updated 1-1-2014:

Well I've got the Micca MB42X's broken in now, and they are a fine sounding speaker. I got the speakers to use with my desktop computer and Lepai 20 wpc t-amp, but they sounded so good that I hooked them up to my Onkyo TX-8255 receiver in the living room to break them in. I normally use a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR's with my main stereo, and they do a beautiful job. The Micca's are fantastic for what I paid for them, and they sound almost as good as the pioneer's, but the pioneer's have a more warmer sound that I really enjoy, so I've put the micca's back on the desktop. Don't get me wrong, these micca's are amazing, but the pioneer's sound a little better to me. The micca's are a little big for my desktop setup, but man they put out some great sound. Great Speakers!!!

Alone Again (Naturally)
Alone Again (Naturally)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sad song., September 15, 2013
I remember listening to this song on the radio when it first came out, and thinking how sad it was, but now that I'm older and both my parents are passed away it really hits close to home and I get a lump in my throat when I hear it now. Beautiful song though.

AmazonBasics Vehicle Power Cable with Mini-USB Connector for GPS and Other Mini-USB Devices
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great and priced right., September 15, 2013
The power connector that came with my Garmin 1450 Nuvi went belly up after about 14 months of use, so I replaced it with this one, and my Garmin is working fine agin.

Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply
Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply
Price: $19.29
30 used & new from $19.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine little amp for $20.00 bucks., September 15, 2013
I've got the Lepai hooked to my computer and a pair of small BIC speakers connected to it. It'll play plenty loud for me, but when turned up half way the protective circuit will kick in and shut the sound off momentarily. It's a pretty quiet amp, but when turned up all the way with nothing playing you can hear noise. I had a PS Audio 100 wpc D type stereo amp that had background noise to, but I payed way more for it, don't know if this is common with D amps. I've got a $149.00 Onkyo TX-8255 that is dead silent when turned up all the way with nothing playing, and it's a remarkable amp for the money. For what I payed for the Lepai I'm very happy with it.

Update 12-21-2013:

Just got a BenQ replacement power adapter to replace the one that came with the amp, and like others have said it makes a good amount of difference in sound quality, definately a good upgrade. The name of it here at amazon is "Replacement LCD 60W 12V 5A adapter charger for Benq LCD". It's about $8.00, and well worth it.

BIC AMERICA DV-32B 3 1/2" 2-Way Compact Shielded Speakers - Black
BIC AMERICA DV-32B 3 1/2" 2-Way Compact Shielded Speakers - Black
Price: $50.48
59 used & new from $45.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Must have got a bad pair., September 1, 2013
I've had the BIC DV-32B speakers for about 3 weeks now, and believe they are broken in. I'm using these as computer speakers with a Lepai 20 watt amp. They have a good sound, and sound better than the computer speakers I had hooked to my computer. The only problems I've come across is that these speakers are not made to be set on a flat surface and will wobble if you set them on a flat surface. They are made to be connected to a wall or ceiling with the appropriate mounts. I had to use blu-tack to get them to set on my desktop properly. The other problem is when cranked up, and they will play loud, the plastic enclosures resonate a bit at some frequencies, and you can here this. The problems being stated, they do sound good.

They can't compete with my Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers that I payed $89.00 for. I'll probably end up replacing the BIC's with a pair of Mica MB42 speakers.

One of the speakers has a bad rattling sound during any heavy bass output, like maybe the woofer is damaged. Wish I could have sent them back for refund. Plan on getting a pair of Mica MB42's and hope they are good speakers.

Update 11-29-2013:

Contacted BIC support through their email, and they sent me a replacement woofer. They do sound better now, but still have some cabinet resonance during intense passages. They'll do for now, but I will eventually replace them with a pair of Mica speakers.

Blu-Tack Reusable Adhesive
Blu-Tack Reusable Adhesive
Offered by FindTape
Price: $6.98
12 used & new from $5.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, August 13, 2013
I used it to put between my bookshelf speakers and speaker stands. I rolled 4 pieces about the size of a marble for each speaker stand, placed one on each corner, then set the speakers on it, it works great.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4