Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Charles W. Mitchell > Reviews

Browse

Charles W. Mitch...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 54

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Charles W. Mitchell "Church Techie" RSS Feed (Austin TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Pulse 1028 Lanikai Shower Spa with Chrome, Chrome
Pulse 1028 Lanikai Shower Spa with Chrome, Chrome
Price: $246.75
4 used & new from $215.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice upgrade for our master shower, December 28, 2015
When we moved into our current house the shower head was too low and too "in your face." I replaced it with a handheld shower which was a bit higher up when on its hanger but still not as nice as the shower panel we had in our old house with high rain-style shower head and hand shower. The Pulse Lanikai fixes all that. The rain-style shower head is height adjustable and swings to the side which is nice since it blocks the overhead light somewhat when left centered over the shower. The handheld shower is height adjustable. Both shower heads have good water flow. Why not 5 stars? Well I could do without the three body spay heads that come on briefly as the valve is turned from rain shower head to handheld shower head. They are too high to really hit you body anywhere but at the chest and upper back. It would be nice if Pulse made a version without these body spray heads and priced it a bit cheaper. Finally, the install went well and the instructions where clear. It looks nice too. The lower mount double sided tape seems to be working. I had no need to drill holes in the tile.

Lecmall 2.5-inch HD Car LED IR Vehicle DVR Road Dash Video Camera Recorder Traffic Dashboard Camcorder - LCD 270 degrees whirl
Offered by Lecmal
Price: $30.00
2 used & new from $17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap "first time" Dashcam for those with low expectations, December 21, 2015
This cheaply made (but functional) dashcam is sold through many vendors including TV where you could pay more than twice the Amazon price! The shell is thin plastic with flimsy doors over the memory card and the power jack. The mount works reasonably well for attaching the unit to the windshield and holding the camera facing forward. The instruction manual is written in type so small you may need a magnifying glass to read. The manual contains a significant error in the drawing labeling the buttons. It identifies the screen (#12) as the menu selection button. The record button (#11) does double duty as the menu select button. Make that mental change and you should be able to the setup. The recording quality defaults to 720p but the menu offers 1080p. (Some say it isn't true 1080p because the resolution is 1080x1440 but that is the correct 1080p resolution for squarish 4:3 aspect ratio.) The daylight recording quality is acceptable is you consider the quality of a first generation digital camera acceptable. Colors are fairly accurate but smear to the right of brightly lighted objects like tail lights and traffic signals. There is no backlight compensation so driving toward the rising or setting sun as you might do as you drive to and from work blinds the camera and results in areas of the image being washed out. There are infrared LEDs on the front of the camera for night time lighting but they are useless. They aren't bright enough to reach the car in front of you and the infrared light is probably filtered out by your car's windshield. So night time images are mostly taillights, headlights and store signs along the road. This may still be useful for determining what happened in an accident. The camera records the sounds inside your care which can be humorous is you talk back to the radio or sing along with the music. But the audio is corrupted by buzzes and whines from the digital electronics in the device not being properly shielded from the microphone circuit. The audio is not something you'd want to use if you try to use the device as a makeshift camcorder but is probably sufficient for a cheap dashcam. If you expect better, pay more and read the reviews critically.

Sendt Black Notebook / Laptop Combination Lock Security Cable
Sendt Black Notebook / Laptop Combination Lock Security Cable
Offered by YourCableStore
Price: $14.99
7 used & new from $4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars More convenient than keylock version, December 12, 2015
It works just as you would want. I prefer this to the keylock version the company I work for supplied. There is no key to lose or misplace. My laptop is sucure (as required by my employer) when I'm away from my desk or when I leave the laptop at work overnight.

Lalaloopsy Babies Potty Surprise Doll
Lalaloopsy Babies Potty Surprise Doll
Price: $24.00
41 used & new from $17.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Recommended for a Couple of Reasons, November 7, 2015
I purchased this for my 4 year old granddaughter. The doll itself looks cute but the mechanism is too complex for a small child and requires help from an adult. It works like this: you scoop the play dough-like food with the supplied spoon and insert it in the mouth; turning the spoon within the mouth dumps the dough into the doll's abdomen; the an adult needs to twist the "outtie" belly button which operates an internal press that makes the dough into one of 4 shapes (e.g, a small heart); then you set the diaperless doll on the potty and rock it forward; rocking the doll forward presses a heart shaped protrusion on the front of the potty into a slot shaped button on the doll's crotch which causes the dough to be ejected from the mold and fall out a hole in the doll's bottom and into the potty. This probably seems a bit complex. It is. Too much so for a child alone. It also seems a bit perverse when you rock the doll to press on its crotch slot. Try not to laugh or you may have to explain yourself to your child. I admit I had to excuse myself to the backyard to stop laughing while my daughter carried on with my granddaughter. So, due to complexity and "another reason" I recommend you pass on this toy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2015 1:41 AM PST

1byone OUS00-0557 Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mounting Pole for UHF/VHF/FM Band
Offered by 1byone
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great antenna for local channels including VHF, August 10, 2015
I live about 10 miles from the "antenna farm" in Austin where most of the local stations transmit from. I get all the stations that tvfool.com says I should with this antenna. So, I am very happy with this antenna.

I had previously tried a RCA compact amplified antenna and didn't get as strong of a signal as I am getting with this antenna without any amplification. And this antenna gives me a strong signal on the VHF channel 7 we have here. The compact antenna didn't do an acceptable job on that station which is our Fox affiliate.

I mounted the antenna on the back of my two story house about 20 feet up. Everything was straight forward except I used smaller screws and some washers. The screws included were very big and would have made big holes in the house's siding. The antenna and mast aren't heavy enough to merit such big screws.

RCA ANT702F Digital Amplified Indoor/Outdoor Antenna
RCA ANT702F Digital Amplified Indoor/Outdoor Antenna
Price: $40.00
12 used & new from $28.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance on VHF channels, August 3, 2015
I'll be returning this RCA antenna. I live in Austin about 10 miles north of the antenna farm in Westlake that has the great majority of Austin's broadcast towers. The website tvfool.com says I should have adequate signal strength for all the non-low power stations there including the ABC, CBS, CW, Fox, NBC and PBS plus a few others. All are on UHF frequencies except the Fox affiliate which is on VHF channel 7. (FYI the VHF channels are 2 a- 13.) The RCA ANT702F picks up all the UHF stations with plenty of signal strength but not the Fox affiliate. My TV and mt TiVo both show Channel 7 at about half the power of the UHF stations. Unfortunately, the signal on Channel 7 is so low that it frequently breaks up or doesn't produce a picture at all. The antenna is mounted on the back of my house about 20 feet up and with line of sight to the transmitters. I have tried orienting the antenna vertically, horizontally, flat side toward the stations, curved edge toward the stations, and straight edge toward the stations. It makes little difference in the signal strength. I suggest you check whether any of the stations you want to receive are VHF. If so, I recommend you try a different antenna that explicitly says it handles VHF and UHF channels.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Now My Microwave Is Bright And Easy To See Inside, February 13, 2015
My microwave is no longer so dark during cooking that you can't see the food without turning the kitchen lights off. Our LG microwave / range hood came with really dim 30W bulbs even though the manual says you can use 40W bulbs. Unfortunately, microwave cooking was taking place in such dim light that you had trouble seeing how the food was progressing as it cooked. Switching to this bulb fixed the problem. Not only is it brighter because it is a 40W bulb, but it is even brighter than a regular 40W bulb because it is a Xenon bulb.

This bulb has a candelabra base (the size of C7 Christmas lights), the microwave bulb sockets are for an intermediate base the same size as C9 Christmas lights. Fortunately, you an buy a 3-pack of Grimaldi Lighting E17 to E12 Bulb Adapters on Amazon to take care of the difference in the bulb base size. That's just the right number if you want to also replace the two bulbs under the bottom of the microwave/range hood to give better illumination with these bulbs for cooking on the range too.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Great way to save money but you may need to innovate to match real K-cup coffee quality, January 25, 2015
I'm between jobs so this seemed like a great way to save money. I purchased the Cafe Cup at Walgreens and was pleased enough to buy a second set. But, in the long haul I have found the taste of the coffee not as good as I would like. I had been buying K-cups with Folgers 100% Colombian coffee. Now I buy the 2 pound canister of Folgers 100% Colombian at about 1/4 the price of one box of 80 K-cups. I haven't counted but I'm sure I get at least 80 cups per canister so two sets of these paid for themselves buy the time I finished the first canister of Folgers.
But the coffee didn't taste quite as good, so I went about trying to duplicate the taste of the Folger's K-cups and I think I have. I did it by dissecting some K-cups to get the filter out of them. I place the filter inside the Cafe Cup before putting in the coffee. Now the Folger's from the canister tastes much the same as the Folger's K-cups. The filters can be rinsed off and reused. I get at least 10 uses from one. That's still somewhat of a savings even when I have to occasionally buy a 12 pack of K-cups to get more filters!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed and embarrassed for giving this as gift., December 31, 2014
My spouse and I have a collection of art glass hearts and this one was disappointing in size and appearance. It was purchased as a gift and I was embarrassed when the package was opened. It is about 1 1/2 inches wide at the top and the blue and gold colors you see are not so much inside the glass but at the back. As a result, when you turn it over it isn't attractive.

Coaster Set of 2 Dining Arm Chairs Mission Style Medium Brown Finish
Coaster Set of 2 Dining Arm Chairs Mission Style Medium Brown Finish
Price: $141.86
11 used & new from $116.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for the Price - Came Close to a 5-star Rating, December 4, 2014
Very good for the price, these are close to the cherry oak color of our dining table. It took about 1 hour and 10 minutes to assemble the two chairs. The package arrived with outside edge guards on all edges of the package and the finish on everything inside was in good shape. I would have given this a 5-star rating except for on flaw. The arms are shipped as a module that attaches to the back on the chair with one bolt and to the side of the seat with two bolts. One arm of one chair was missing one of the inserts in the wood necessary to insert a bolt through the side rail of the seat into the arm. But since there are two bolts in this area, the arm felt secure and I decided to let it be. It is a quality flaw none the less and I thought you should know it wasn't perfect. I also suggest you put felt pads on the bottom of each leg to keep from scratching the floor when you push back from the table. That may also avoid the splitting of the finish on the legs that at least one buyer mentioned in their review. I like these two chairs well enough to immediately order two packages of two side chairs without arms.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6