Profile for Christine Murphy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 57

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Christine Murphy "cmurf1960" RSS Feed (Manchester, NH)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Private Entrance (The Butterfly Trilogy Book 3)
Private Entrance (The Butterfly Trilogy Book 3)
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great standalone novel, March 17, 2015
First of all, this is not really book three of the Butterfly "trilogy". There is ONE brief mention of Beverly Highland of Butterfly and Stars early in the book, but that was it. If you picked this up, expecting to read more about any of the characters in those two books, you will be disappointed. This book focuses on a group of new characters, yet it does follow the formula that the first two books did. Woman escaping a painful past by living under a new name, with a best friend/sidekick doing the same, coming from humble beginnings to become a successful businesswoman. But life is still not complete unless she settles some issue from her past. In this book, we have Abby Tyler, who was born Emmy Lou Pagan, who finds herself pregnant at 16 and is imprisoned for crimes she did not commit. She gives birth behind bars, is told that her baby died, but later learns that the baby lived, but was taken from her and sold on the black market. Emmy Lou, along with her best friend who she met in prison, escapes, becomes Abby Tyler, reclusive owner of a resort called The Grove, and makes it her life's mission to find the child who was stolen from her.

The Grove is a cross between Butterfly, the private sex club for women owned by Beverly Highland in the first book, and Stars, the luxury spa/resort she owned in the second book. It's a fancy resort that offers sexual services to its guests, and there are racy scenes in the book where some of the guests partake in the sex part. Three of the guests are women who were brought there by Abby on the pretense of having won a "contest" that none of them remember entering. But in actuality, they were all born at the same time as Abby's baby and sold via the same black market ring. Abby wanted to meet with them because she was sure that one of them was her long-lost child. The three women, Coco, Sissy and Ophelia all have their own side storylines that were mildly interesting. But I was more interested in the characters of Jack, a detective who came to the resort to work on a case, and Michael, a Las Vegas casino owner and gangster who had his own reasons for wanting Abby dead. How the lives of these three characters intertwine was what kept me reading, there were some good twists and turns and the ending was a little surprising to me.

However, an epilogue would have been nice, because some stuff was left hanging at the end. We do find out who Abby's long-lost child is, and they are reunited at the end, but nor much else beyond that.

This book is not as good as Butterfly and Stars, but it's still an enjoyable read.

Prodigal Son: A Novel
Prodigal Son: A Novel
by Danielle Steel
Price: $14.67
188 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, March 1, 2015
This review is from: Prodigal Son: A Novel (Hardcover)
A story of twin brothers who never really got along. When the book opens, Peter is the one who comes off as being selfish and caring only about money, while Michael is the kindly small-town doctor who is loved by all. Without giving too much away, I will just say that this book shows us how not everything is what it first appears to be. I finished this book in one day because I could not wait to see what happened next. The story was a bit slow and boring at the beginning, but it gets very good later on. This is one of the best Steel books that I have read.

11" x 50' Vac-Fresh Roll 3.5mil Vacuum Seal Bag Roll Commercial Grade Embossed for Vacuum Sealers
Offered by Darwin Design
Price: $17.95
8 used & new from $14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the name brand rolls!, January 20, 2015
I recently purchased a Food Saver, after much urging from a friend who has one and swears by it. She gave me the link to this product, telling me that this is what she buys for hers, and that it is much less pricey than the name brand rolls and bags. Since I bought a Food Saver in order to be able to buy food in bulk, freeze it, and save money, or course I wanted to save money on the rolls, too. So I ordered this, as well as the 2-pack of 8" x 50' rolls.

My Food Saver came with a small roll and a few bags, which quickly got used up. These really do work just as well. The one downside is that they don't fit into the roll storage area of my machine, but that's no biggie considering the cost savings. I just cut off what I need with scissors and seal away!

Grumpy Cat Fa La La La NOPE Christmas Cards (Pack Of 8 w/ envelopes)
Grumpy Cat Fa La La La NOPE Christmas Cards (Pack Of 8 w/ envelopes)
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $17.46
3 used & new from $17.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Hated these cards!, January 20, 2015
I sent out these Christmas cards once. Everybody hated them. GOOD.

Grumpy Cat Have Yourself a Grumpy Little Christmas Cards (Pack Of 8 w/ envelopes)
Offered by Sweetly You
Price: $12.99
5 used & new from $7.54

5.0 out of 5 stars I hated these cards!, January 20, 2015
I sent out these Christmas cards once. Everybody hated them.

Fire TV Stick
Fire TV Stick
Price: $39.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Only buy this is your router is near the TV you're using this on, January 20, 2015
This review is from: Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
I've had a Roku box on my living room TV for years, and I have seldom had a problem with it. Our modem/router is upstairs, and it's a brand new one that Comcast recently upgraded us to. It works a lot better than the old one, and we can get a strong WiFi signal anywhere in the house, without having to use the WiFi range extender any longer.

When Amazon was offering these for just $19 to Prime members, I bought one for the bedroom TV upstairs, then I thought that I might like it better than the Roku and want one for the living room, too, so I bought a second one at that price.

At first, they both worked fine. I like the interface better than that of Roku, it was streaming my shows nicely. A friend of mine mentioned that she was planning to cut the cable cord to save money, and was thinking about getting a Roku or a Chromecast. So I gave her my old one, as I was no longer using it.

A few weeks later, I started having major problems with the stick on the downstairs TV. I set up the WiFi extender again (thank goodness I didn't give THAT away!), and that solved the problem for a while. But the problems started again, videos are either slow to load or do not load at all. And when they did load, they buffered and froze and basically made everything unwatchable. I tried all of the troubleshooting tips on this site, and once again, it worked for a while, and then went back to having problems. It would tell me that I had no internet connection, but when I'd go into the settings to check, it was connected and showed a strong signal from both the router upstairs and the extender. Heck, it even shows a halfway decent signal from the next door neighbor's WiFi. I tried using the HDMI extender thingy that came with the stick, but that didn't help. At first I thought the problem was just with the Hulu Plus app, because I was able to watch Amazon and Netflix, but now I can't watch anything. Yet I can stream Hulu and Netflix and stuff on my iPad from anywhere in the house, and even out on the front porch or in the back yard. Meanwhile, the Fire stick on the bedroom TV upstairs is still working fine. This room is across the hall from the one that contains the router. So I have come to the conclusion that the WiFi antenna in this stick is not as strong as advertised.

I was getting really tired of having to unplug the thing, clear the app data, set up every app again every time I want to watch something. I give up. I'm not about to ask my friend to give back the Roku, because a gift is a gift. So I ordered an Apple TV yesterday from Amazon, which is due to arrive tomorrow. I chose that over another Roku because I now own a couple of Apple products that I've been very happy with, and I like that they all work together. And I'm sure the Apple TV has a stronger WiFi antenna than this cheap little stick.

The reason I'm giving this three stars and not less is because it is a nice little stick. I really like the user interface, as well as the remote, and I found the thing to be very easy to set up and use. But I would only recommend getting this if you live in a small single level house or apartment, or a college dorm room, any place where the TV you are using this on is either in the same room as, or one room over from your router. But if you are in a multi-level house as I am, go for a Roku box or an Apple TV for any TV that is not on the same floor as the router.

Yummy Cast Iron Cookbook: A Collection of Cast Iron Recipes For You To Enjoy
Yummy Cast Iron Cookbook: A Collection of Cast Iron Recipes For You To Enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting new technique, October 17, 2014
I had heard that one can make excellent pizza in a cast iron skillet, so when I saw that this book had a recipe, I had to download it and give it a try. I was SO excited! Although the author recommends that this pizza be cooked in a wood-burning oven, I was glad that she said that a microwave would work, too. Good thing, because I don't have a wood-burning oven. So I got all my ingredients together, got out my favorite cast iron skillet, and had at it.

The book did not say how long to cook the pizza in the microwave, so I followed the wood-burning oven instructions and set it for 10 minutes, after which I would remove the lid from the pan and check to see if it needed more time.

But after a few seconds, sparks started flying out of my microwave. I figured that this was normal and was how you can get the same effect as a wood-burning oven in the microwave. Then, the microwave exploded, and before I could do anything, the whole back wall of the kitchen caught fire. Thankfully, the fire department came quickly, so that our house was not a total loss, only the back part was burnt off. And thankfully, nobody was hurt, not me, my husband, or any of our five cats, we all got out safely.

So now I am typing this review on my phone, from the local Motel 6, which is the only place around here that accepts pets. We will have to stay here until our house gets fixed. Not much fun, the cable TV has a lousy channel selection, there is no hot water, the sheets have weird stains on them, and the guy in the next room is drunk, thinks it's St. Patrick's Day, and has been singing "Danny Boy" for the past three hours. Hopefully, the building inspector will give us the OK to move back into our house soon. Once that happens, I will be searching here on Amazon for a better microwave. I KNOW that the cooking cast iron in a microwave MUST work, otherwise, it would not be in a cookbook, right? RIGHT? I'm sure the problem was that I had bought a cheap $130 microwave, yeah, that's the ticket. I will spend more on a better one next time. I can't wait to try this recipe again, I'm sure it will turn out better next time!

Taking off one star because of the fire, but I will update this review when I try the recipe again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 6:09 PM PST

Hamilton Beach 25476 Breakfast Electric Sandwich Maker, Red
Hamilton Beach 25476 Breakfast Electric Sandwich Maker, Red
Price: $24.00
25 used & new from $19.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, September 21, 2014
I don't know about you, but almost every time I've ordered a breakfast sandwich at a fast food emporium, they screw it up somehow. Wrong meat, no meat, no cheese, wrong bread. Once I was served one that was ICE COLD; they actually forgot to heat it up for me!

So, it's often true that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. But if it's too complicated to do, you won't bother doing it. That's where this nifty little gadget comes in. It's so easy to use, even my culinarily-challenged husband can do it. Yes, if you use meat in this thing, it needs to be pre-cooked. Sure, you can buy pre-cooked bacon and sausage at the store, but you can save money by buying it raw and cooking up enough for the whole week all at once over the weekend, to save time on weekday mornings. Canadian bacon is sold already cooked and works well, as does ham. You're not limited to the usual "Egg McMuffin" thing, the possibilities are endless. If you buy this gadget, you should also consider getting at least one of the cookbooks that were written for it. I especially like Crazy for Breakfast Sandwiches: 75 Delicious, Handheld Meals Hot Out of Your Sandwich Maker. You can even recycle dinner leftovers for breakfast!

This thing will also save you time and money. Just plug it in to pre-heat while you're getting ready for work or school, then put the ingredients in, and five minutes later, you have a yummy sandwich! No more waiting in line at the fast food drive-through for a sandwich that they may or may not screw up, and it will cost less, too. You control exactly what goes into it.

I took the advice of other reviewers here and sprayed the cooking surfaces lightly with cooking spray. The food did not stick and make a goopy mess, and that made the thing easy to clean. The removable inside part can be put in the dishwasher, but it's easy enough to just wipe it clean.

Highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 4:31 PM PDT

Satechi Wireless 300Mbps Multifunction Mini Router / Repeater / Access Point / Client / Bridge
Offered by Satechi
Price: $59.99
3 used & new from $34.98

1.0 out of 5 stars It's going back to Amazon!, July 3, 2014
I had high hopes for this thing. My main router/modem is upstairs and due to wiring issues, cannot be moved. The laptops and the WiFi printer are downstairs and work fine, where I was having a problem was keeping my iPad and iPhone connected to the home WiFi. They stay connected with other WiFi networks where there is a router or repeater closer, so I figured that perhaps a repeater downstairs would help. Also, our WiFi connection doesn't extend to the back yard or the front porch, so I was hoping it would help with that, too.

But when I set it up and put it in repeater mode, it hung after I clicked "save & reboot". And when I tried to connect my iPad to it, it saw my network but refused to connect AT ALL! This thing made the problem worse than what it originally was! Unplugged it and was able to connect the iStuff to the network (even though it still drops the signal, which is what I was hoping thbis thing would fix.

I tried to do a hard reset and start again. I saw three different sets of instructions to do this in three different places, tried them all, and it still didn't work, as in the mini-router is now undetectable in my list of available networks.

Good thing I waited to make sure it worked to toss the packing materials, because this thing is going back to Amazon. Thank goodness they have an easy return policy. In the meantime, I will look for something else.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2014 2:03 PM PDT

Extra Virgin: Recipes & Love from Our Tuscan Kitchen
Extra Virgin: Recipes & Love from Our Tuscan Kitchen
by Debi Mazar
Price: $15.97
71 used & new from $12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait!, May 21, 2014
I've been a fan of Debi & Gabriele's Cooking Channel Show "Extra Virgin" for a few years now, and I had been wondering when there would be a cookbook. I was so happy when it was announced that a book would be released in spring 2014, and I had to pre-order it. And it was well worth the wait. The book is gorgeously designed and photographed, and the recipes are the real deal - no fancy frou-frou stuff, just genuine food as it is really cooked in Tuscany. Most can be made with ingredients that are easy to find, and are easy to prepare. Some take more prep time than others; the Lasagne Bolognese and the Baked Pasta in Eggplant involve a bit of prep time, but the results are very much worth it.

If you are a fan of "Extra Virgin", you need this book; you will especially love the notes from Debi and Gabriele that are scattered throughout the book, as well as the family pictures. If you've never seen the show, but love good, authentic Italian cooking, you need this book.

This is an excellent debut cookbook, and I hope there will be more to come!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6