Profile for S. Li > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 58

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Li RSS Feed (US)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Apple MacBook Pro MC975LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (OLD VERSION)
Apple MacBook Pro MC975LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (OLD VERSION)
51 used & new from $1,059.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in class screen even with ghosting, June 13, 2014
I have one with the LG screen that shows an afterimage of any static graphics. The afterimage appears for anything that stays static for more than a minute and will appear for 15-30seconds after I move it. At first it was really bothering me, but I have gotten over it because of the following:

Incredible sharpness. I run it at the default resolution because the UI targets are easy to see and hit while all the text is extremely crisp and pleasant to read. I can always change the zoom factor in the browser to fit more text if need be.

Vibrant colors. I work with photos and digital paintings so I am picky about color ranges and saturation levels. This display is better than other IPS monitors I have worked with, even better than the Wacom Cintiq's. Drawing/painting on this screen is simply stunning.

Besides that, this version of the retina MBP includes a discrete graphics card that is roughly the same as the latest gen but without the extra cost. It runs older games very well and even plays starcraft without lag, though it can get very hot. It has decent battery life (5-6 hours after ~200 charge cycles). The CPU is very powerful and runs 3D modeling programs at high frame rates.

Surfing the web, even on image heavy sites like The Verge, is very smooth with very rare hiccups. I noticed Safari is noticeably smoother than Chrome, and on Mavericks Safari is also more battery efficient.

The glass trackpad is every bit as smooth and polished as other macbooks. The keyboard is roughly the same but with less travel than other MBP but significantly more travel than a macbook air. The speakers are also decent and can get very loud. there are two microphones for noise canceling so it delivers very good voice recording. I really can't rate this too high because it delivers everything I could ever want from a computer, all in a sleek and light format.

Wacom Cintiq DTK2200 22HD 21-Inch Pen Display Tablet, Black
Wacom Cintiq DTK2200 22HD 21-Inch Pen Display Tablet, Black
Price: $1,799.95
21 used & new from $936.41

3.0 out of 5 stars Not amazing, June 5, 2014
I learned digital painting from on the intuos line of tablets so I am well acquainted with the quality of wacom products. My school just got a set of these displays and I gave it a go to see how they fair.

I'll start with the good: the pen -- tracking, pressure, feel -- are every bit as good as an intuos 3 (my only reference point). The build quality is very good, and it feels very light when you adjust the position up and down. It's like feather.

Now the bad: the display is pretty mediocre. For reference, it has better color reproduction than my 2007 dell laptop, about the same or a bit better than a 2009 macbook pro 13", a bit worse than the asus proart IPS 24" display, but much worse than a 2012 macbook pro retina. The difference between this display and that of an rMBP is night and day. In comparison, the pixels are huge, the color is muted, the reflections are much stronger, and the grays are indistinguishable at either ends of the value spectrum. For this much money, I was expecting a professional quality display, but this is comparable to a nice TN display.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 7:02 AM PDT

Marware Atlas Kindle Case Cover, Beige (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, and Kindle Touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the official cover, February 23, 2014
This may be thicker and bulkier, but it feels very nice. It's made from cloth and plether, had it for a year and it still looks great. I take it with me when I travel and it's holding up just dandy. There is also a thing to slip your fingers through so you can easily hold it one handed. I love it.

Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Price: $24.95
97 used & new from $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Got two of these and both were bad (by design?), February 23, 2014
This had real problems with tracking correctly. Sometimes it would be almost ok, but if you were to move it in a circular motion you can see the cursor drive to one side of the screen very fast. In practice this means moving the cursor in one direction would feel very different from the others. This is ok for casual browsing or if you don't need it much, but for excel work or any games that make use of the mouse, it can drive you insane very fast (or slow, if you don't know what to look for).

I talked to tech support and they shipped me a new mouse, which had the exact same problem. I shipped it back and got a refund (can't beat Logitech tech support!). For that I'll give it 2 extra stars. I'll keep buying Logitech for life because their CS is amazing.

Anyway, later I realized there is a dimple next to the optical sensor and if I press on it with a pen for a while, the mouse would act fine for a little bit. It seems like there is a structural defect that is causing the sensor to be misaligned, but that's just my guess. Otherwise this mouse would have been perfectly useable.

12-Inch Green Earth Wok by Ozeri, with Smooth Ceramic Non-Stick Coating (100% PTFE and PFOA Free)
Price: $34.99
5 used & new from $34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost the non-stick property after a month, February 23, 2014
I do a lot of stirfry and this, even when it was non-stick, required more oil than regular non-stick. After about a month no amount of oil will keep this non-stick. Threw it out after three months. What a waste.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2014 9:54 AM PST

Car Mount, iOttie Easy Flex 2 Windshield Dashboard Car/Desk Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7) /5s/5c/4s, Galaxy S4/S3, HTC One -Retail Packaging -Black
Price: $13.99
12 used & new from $10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars It really does stick to the dashboard!, February 23, 2014
I have a slightly textured dashboard but after trying a few times it has been there for almost 4 months and I've used it a dozen times. Would definitely recommend this product. It can also accommodate wider phones as the grip is a variable one.

CaseCrown Tidal Sleeve Case (Black) for 15 Inch Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Some what loose, but decent fit., February 23, 2014
Had it for almost a year now, still looks as good as the day I got it. No smell after the initial unpack. It is not a snug fit but carrying it doesn't feel like it will drop out or anything. I keep the whole thing in a backpack so I'm not concerned about it, just worried about getting it scratched. I don't think it will offer any protection if dropped, however.

Apollo 13: Anniversary Edition
Apollo 13: Anniversary Edition
by Jeffrey Kluger
Price: $21.78
119 used & new from $2.59

5.0 out of 5 stars As good or better than the movie, February 23, 2014
There are a lot of details not mentioned in the 1996 movie, like how the defect came to be or the history behind the people in the story. A good and easy read and a must for any space aficionado.

Logitech Wireless Mouse M325 with Designed-For-Web Scrolling - Light Silver
Logitech Wireless Mouse M325 with Designed-For-Web Scrolling - Light Silver
Offered by Apple Brothers
Price: $16.05
118 used & new from $5.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mouse, okay scroll wheel, February 23, 2014
I'm a stickler for the good scroll wheel of years yonder. It seems Logitech has taken a different route so now all their mice has these "infinite scroll" wheels with almost no friction/ridge for "smooth scrolling." While I do miss the older style wheels, these do act as middle click by default (on mac and windows) and they also scroll side to side. The included battery died after three months, but I never turned it off. I've had similar logitech devices that last for 3 years with the same usage pattern, so I don't know what's going on here. But for anyone who needs a on-the-go mouse, this is pretty good for cheap. Also works with other Logitech devices with the Unifying dongle.

Columbia Men's M Baddabing Glove, Charcoal Heather, Medium
Columbia Men's M Baddabing Glove, Charcoal Heather, Medium
Offered by Bob Wards

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for above freezing temperatures, February 23, 2014
Bought them for driving in Boston winter. They really don't work for anything below freezing. I only drive 10min each way so it's not too bad, but for 20f or below, it feels like there is nothing there. Also, you can get the same type of thin gloves with capacitive fingers for using the phone on the go for around the same price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6