Profile for Scott E. Regener > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 47

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott E. Regener RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Redbreast (Harry Hole Book 3)
The Redbreast (Harry Hole Book 3)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars horrible translation, October 28, 2014
The plot is good, the story moves, but the translation is terrible and draws attention to itself over and over. American slang, pop culture references and awkward word choices abound.

G-Tab Iota Quad Core Android Tablet PC [10.1 Inch IPS, 16GB, Wi-Fi] (White)
G-Tab Iota Quad Core Android Tablet PC [10.1 Inch IPS, 16GB, Wi-Fi] (White)
Offered by Matricom HQ
Price: $249.00
2 used & new from $133.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough flash memory for regular users, August 24, 2014
This is a disappointing tablet. I want to love it. I really do. The screen is very good at the price.

The thing that kills this device's usefulness is the memory. Yes, it has 16GB of internal memory. 15GB of which is an internal (non-removable) SD card. Only 1 GB of real flash memory. And every app takes up some of that internal memory, and some won't let you move them to the SD card at all. So very quickly, the device's internal memory is full and you can't install more apps. So the specifications are misleading and end up leaving you with a device that is woefully weak for real use.

Now, if you want to load a large library of videos or photos or music, that SD storage is very useful. But if you want to install 30 applications... good luck.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2014 4:10 PM PDT

Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
Roku 3 Streaming Media Player
Price: $89.00
97 used & new from $62.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Streams Amazon Instant Video Flawlessly, January 6, 2014
Used almost exclusively to stream Amazon Prime Videos, this device works fast and perfectly. Highly enjoyable. Wish it had YouTube.

NatureBright SunTouch Plus Light and Ion Therapy Lamp (package may vary)
NatureBright SunTouch Plus Light and Ion Therapy Lamp (package may vary)
Price: $75.07
11 used & new from $68.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Winter Blahs!, January 6, 2014
Living near the 45th parallel, winter gets long and the lack of sunlight is tough to take.

I figured this was a good risk - some people love their light, some see no difference. For me, it lifted a "fog" I felt like I was walking around in every day. 30 minutes in the morning, placed right next to my computer monitor, and I feel alert and energetic all day long. I used to nap daily in the early afternoon, but now I'm finding it hard to fall asleep until evening.

WIGWAM MILLS INC F4707-052-OS WORSTED WOOL WATCH CAP - BLACK
WIGWAM MILLS INC F4707-052-OS WORSTED WOOL WATCH CAP - BLACK
Offered by Cambridge Select
Price: $10.79
6 used & new from $10.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm!, January 6, 2014
I've searched everywhere for the perfect winter hat. Needs to be light. Needs to be warm. And I'd like to be able to hear while I'm wearing it. This hat was it. And at this price, I won't hesitate to buy another if this one gets misplaced.

Vol.3 Train Yourself Chess Course from Novice to Expert
Vol.3 Train Yourself Chess Course from Novice to Expert
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Boring video, Great content!, January 6, 2014
This was my first chess video and I wasn't sure what to expect. So I'll tell you: it's a video of a computer screen chess board. The pieces get moved and occasionally waved around to show you lines of control, and there's a few arrows inserted here and there. But no talking head. It's just a chess board, and a guy telling you what to look for and what to see.

However, after watching this video, many positional ideas made more sense to me, and I was able to break out of a 4-month funk in my chess play and swept a chess tournament at my local club, beating 3 players with ratings 100-200 points higher than mine. These are not beginner concepts, however, so I'd recommend this video only for average-to-above average club players. Say in the USCF 1500+ range.

For the instant video rental price, it was a great deal.

Yamaha DD65 Electronic Drum Pad Premium Package with Headphones, Power Supply, Drum Sticks, and 2 Foot Pedals
Price: Click here to see our price
15 used & new from $185.01

4.0 out of 5 stars It is good for what it is, January 6, 2014
As an owner of an old-fashioned drum kit, the reality of the volume was just too much when I decided to take up the drums seriously. So I bought this set for the digital aspect, figuring if I needed more later, I could always resell this.

First, the bad: The foot "pedals" are switches. Works okay for me as a high-hat, but I quickly bought the kick pedal upgrade. The snare is a bit oversensitive - it's almost impossible to hit it lightly enough not to trigger a rim shot and still be certain of getting a sound. Hitting the snare slightly off center is much quieter, so precise accuracy is required.

Now the good: The ability to play along with an MP3 player is a serious practice tool bonus. It'd be hard to do this with real drums without losing your hearing. The kit is customizable enough to find something that sounds good for practice. And the whole thing takes up 1/5 the space of a real kit, and is quiet enough with headphones that people upstairs don't even know I'm practicing downstairs.

The really good: I was wondering how much of what I was learning would apply to a real kit, but when I sat down at the church kit, it was immediately obvious to me that the muscle memory I was learning transitioned immediately. Sure the distances are longer, but the locations of everything still made sense to my brain. The cymbals are more of an adjustment, but I was playing drum fills just as fast on the full-sized kit as at home.

I wouldn't use this for a performance because of the snare pressure/accuracy issues. And I think you'd want a bit more variety with the cymbals than the pads give you. But for practice at home, it's hard to beat. Recommended with the above caveats.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 1:59 PM PST

The Myths of Hell (A Beautiful Hell Trilogy Book 1)
The Myths of Hell (A Beautiful Hell Trilogy Book 1)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, December 12, 2013
Nathan has written a fascinating study into the Biblical evidence for Hell, what exactly we can know about it, and how certain ideas have become entrenched in our culture that have absolutely no basis in Scripture. At first, I found his ideas to be a bit 'far-fetched' or out there, but as I went to some of my more trusted resources (Grudem's Systematic Theology, particularly) and examined the Scriptures myself, I have to admit that it was my understanding of Hell that was incorrect and his is right down the middle. A worthwhile read, and written in a very readable style.

3M Peltor Optime 98 Earmuff
3M Peltor Optime 98 Earmuff
Price: $16.66
29 used & new from $13.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't imagine them being better, November 10, 2013
Bought these for my son for an indoor professional football game. He wore them the whole game without complaint. They're the perfect size for him, but they'd hurt me as an adult.

Dr Scholl's Pro Pain Relief Orthotics for Heel M (8-12)
Dr Scholl's Pro Pain Relief Orthotics for Heel M (8-12)
Offered by My Great Goods
Price: $11.31
22 used & new from $4.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great For Me, November 10, 2013
When I developed a heel spur, it was just plain painful to walk. After reading lots of advice, it seemed to boil down to "trust your comfort - if it doesn't hurt, it's working. If it hurts, try something else." I tried all the stuff they recommended, but nothing seemed to work. Then I put a pair of these in my shoes and the pain instantly dropped 95%. It wasn't completely pain-free, but it felt soooo much better. A few weeks of wearing these faithfully and the pain was gone. I still wear them all the time, and even bought more sets for other pairs of shoes so I didn't have to swap them so much. But for the instant pain relief, I would have paid a lot more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5