Profile for G. Jeronowitz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 112

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Jeronowitz RSS Feed (Mesa, AZ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Microplane 34006 4-Sided Box Grater
Microplane 34006 4-Sided Box Grater
Price: $32.99
42 used & new from $26.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Great blades, horrendous plastic. Lasted only 2 years., April 9, 2015
The blades are top-notch but they are in the cheapest, most poorly constructed plastic housing you could imagine.
When grating anything firm or sticky like cheese the force required to keep the food feeding in to the grater teeth causes the plastic to bend making the food lose contact with the teeth. If you think that the worst offender (the super-fine panel) would work better when removed, you'd be incorrect. It's truly a very useful feature to be able to pull out an entire side for both use and cleaning but the panel warps even more during use when removed from the frame.
The plastic on mine started cracking within a few months of my first getting it and it has slowly gotten worst and worse to where I'm now looking for a replacement. I'd hoped Microplane had improved the design by now but they are either oblivious to this major design flaw or just don't care (planned obsolescence).
I'm probably purchase another one of these just because the grating action is the best I've ever experienced and I'll probably moan and whine as that one falls apart as well.
Sad really that I could go get a $8 all metal grater with lousy teeth that could be handed down to my great grand kids, but a $35 high end grater falls apart (literally) in just 2-3 years.

Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill
Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill
Price: $494.68
9 used & new from $402.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Great grill for the price, really nice grill over-all., November 30, 2014
An overall all great grill for the price. I purchased mine second hand so don't know just how old it is, but I've owned it for 2+ years now and it has never been covered when not in use. The only day-to-day inconvenience is that you must remove the charcoal grill grates to add more coals, I'd pay a little more for a pull-out charcoal tray in this unit (see my note about getting the side firebox below)
We use the propane and charcoal sides about equally and when we have a large party at the house all that grill space is simply luxurious. I'm usually a snob about charcoal but sometimes I just don't want to wait 15 minutes for coals to heat and use gas to cook, other times I use charcoal to sear and flavor food then move to the gas side to slow cook and keep warm while I sear off some more food over coals. With all that going on, the side burner can be sautéing onions for burger toppings or boiling water for pasta.

Given how old my grill is there are a few issues: I've had to replaced the electronic ignitor for the propane grill (not the stove burner), the wheels are starting to get a little wonky so I'll make a new axle for them, and one of the chimney caps on the propane side popped off (it is an inexpensive replacement part as well). I like it so well that I just ordered the side firebox to start using the charcoal side as a smoker and its removable coal tray while in-use.

One "feature" I dislike about the grill is the warming racks on both sides. The racks themselves are great and I use them a lot, but I would REALLY like them to be removable in like 2 minutes so that I could use a rotisserie. As it is, it would be quite a bit of work to swap them out/in, so keep that in mind if you want to spit roast large joints of meat.
I don't know of another grill that lets you do so much cooking in so many ways at one time. If mine were to go away tomorrow, I'd replace it with another just like it.

12V 50A DC Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply **Laptop Parts Store**
12V 50A DC Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply **Laptop Parts Store**
Offered by Flashmen
Price: $65.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks sturdy, waiting for it to work., August 8, 2014
Seems like a nice power supply so far even though my particular unit does not output any 12V power due to what appears to be handling/shipping damage.
The power terminals on front are easy enough to use but I do wish the AC and DC terminals had a little more buffer between them. At least the grounds are what are adjacent to each other with the AC hot and DC+ being the terminals farthest apart.
The unit seems well build from what I can see through the vents: decently sized capacitors and transformers, large fan (fairly quiet to boot) and lots of surface area for heat distribution from the rectifiers and such. This is by no means a super beefy supply which can wight in at 10x this unit's heft, but I think it would handle the rated load reliably.
Note that when I say this fan is quiet, I mean about ⅓ the apparent volume compared to another smaller (300W) power supply I'm replacing. I've upgraded so I can add some more LED strips to my workshop.

Stainless Steel Coffee Tamper Barista Espresso Tamper 51mm Base Coffee Bean Press
Offered by Starbags USA
Price: $12.59
37 used & new from $9.58

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice tamper, August 7, 2014
Beautiful piece of steel, it fits in my portafilter like a glove. The bottom is a dead-flat as I can check for. Like all good kitchen gadgets this one should have multiple uses: compressing espresso pucks, pounding chicken, holding open cookbooks, and in a pinch a deadly weapon.

Keep It Clean SW24Y Yellow 20 Amp/12V All-Aluminum LED Toggle Switch
Keep It Clean SW24Y Yellow 20 Amp/12V All-Aluminum LED Toggle Switch
Price: $8.37
11 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars reliable, sturdy., July 23, 2014
Nice switch. As I hoped they are easy to operate with a gloved (or mittened) hand. As with most switches of this type the light is a separate circuit than the switch controls so you can choose to have the light always on, or indicate a status as needed. I wired up for simple light on when switch on mode.
The switch is, in fact, almost entirely plastic with an aluminum cover on the toggle.
And the LED... BRIGHT. I took sandpaper to the plastic lens to diffuse the light from the thing.

Sierra International FS40680 Marine Terminal Block with 2 Bus Bar
Sierra International FS40680 Marine Terminal Block with 2 Bus Bar
Price: $12.47
12 used & new from $10.57

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, sturdy, works, July 23, 2014
solid build. Easy to mount.
I used it in a 12VDC application to distribute power to the coach lighting in my horse trailer. This part will probably outlast the trailer.

Hopkins 20007 Break-Away Battery Charger
Hopkins 20007 Break-Away Battery Charger
Price: $6.17
7 used & new from $1.03

5.0 out of 5 stars nice even if I didn't use it for the intend purpose., July 23, 2014
I set this up to charge the battery in my trailer when a tow vehicle is connected, I just capped off the blue wire since there were no breaks involved. This ensures the trailer battery doesn't get drained by the tow vehicle if you leave the headlights on

Tekonsha 3020-P Brake Control Wiring Adapter
Tekonsha 3020-P Brake Control Wiring Adapter
Price: $13.62
67 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect fit, July 23, 2014
made connecting the brake controller to my truck a 2 minute job with no wire splicing.

Casabella Silicone True Cube Ice Cube Tray, Set Of 2
Casabella Silicone True Cube Ice Cube Tray, Set Of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars nice trays, July 23, 2014
Makes cute little cubes. If you read up online you can use these to make perfectly clear, perfectly square cubes.
They are flexible silicone so you will want to place them on a small cutting board or other rigid surface for transport to the freezer. The silicone stays very soft when cold to ejecting the cubes is simple, a tray takes about 15-30 seconds to empty.

General Motors Full-Size Trucks, 1988-98, Repair Manual (Chilton Automotive Books)
by Chilton
Price: $31.95
73 used & new from $1.55

2.0 out of 5 stars meh, July 23, 2014
I don't know why Chilton even tries. Better than nothing but there are much better resources out there. If you have a foreign car check if Bentley Publishing makes a book for your vehicle, the Bentley version of this manual would be 50% larger pages and over 1,000 pages.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12