Profile for Pamela V > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 730

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pamela V ""MS V"" RSS Feed (Mississippi Gulf Coast)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
E-Cubed: Nine More Energy Experiments That Prove Manifesting Magic and Miracles Is Your Full-Time Gig
by Pam Grout
Price: $10.09
53 used & new from $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I Wish It Were This Simple, October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book could have been written in a sentence or two, which would say, "be happy and optimistic and everything and your life will be better." That's pretty much what it says, in a chock full of pop culture references way. You can't go many pages without a celebrity name drop or being referenced to the authors first book, a best seller titled E-Squared.

It's true that we get to decide whether or not we are happy or unhappy, but it's not true that we can control the outcomes. I personally could write a book about the back luck my family has had for generations, and we are good, hard-working, ethical people. We love nature and animals and always try to do the right thing. We are compassionate and care about each other and others, and often go out of our way to do random acts of kindness, by buying a stranger lunch or handing money to a homeless person, and by volunteering in organizations to help people and animals. Yet, our bad luck abounds. We lost our family business and our home. We've lost members of our immediate family to cancer & accidents at young ages, just as things looked like they might turn around.

I'm not just asking the universe to give my family a break, I'm begging it to give us a break, while being thankful for what we do have, which is today. Putting on a costume and walking downtown will not change the fact that I am in chronic pain. Handing out five dollar bills to strangers just makes me broke and dumb, because those people may already have more money than I do, and I need to pay the rent and eat too.

This book reminds me of Scientology. If you are an optimist and have had a tremendous amount of luck, like Tom Cruise, you might buy into it. If you can convince yourself that you are personally responsible for all your good fortune, this is the book for you. If you are more of a realist and have had some serious set-backs in your life, you already know that putting a smile on your face will change the outcome of your day. Being a comedian & making other people happy changes everything. Just ask Robin Williams.

Vega Sport Performance Protein, Chocolate, Tub 29oz
Vega Sport Performance Protein, Chocolate, Tub 29oz
Price: $49.99
11 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Taste, Blends Easily & No GI Symptoms!, October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Vegan Sport Performance Protein is great for using post strenuous workouts like boxing and body building. It's pure Vegan, which is great - and chock full of plant based proteins and amino acids to help repair tired & stressed muscle cells. The protein powder easily mixes into cold water and tastes great! We're happy to report no GI upset after using this, which is a major plus, as we are usually forced to quit protein shakes & supplements due to extreme gas and uncomfortable bloating. This hasn't happened with this shake - fantastic!

Highly recommended for using after intense workouts!

Valuepedic Contour Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow, Standard Size
Valuepedic Contour Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow, Standard Size
Price: $21.60
2 used & new from $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Hard & Too Much Packaging, October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pillow is very hard. I am used to sleeping on contour pillows and love memory foam as a rule, but this particular pillow is simply too hard for me to feel comfortable sleeping on it.

The pillow comes in it's own suitcase, as in plastic and fabric with a handle and zippers. Too much packaging, in my opinion.

If you like hard contoured pillows, this may work for you. I need a soft pillow and this simply won't do.

Calphalon Textiles 2-Piece Solid and Large Check Kitchen Towel Set, Graphite
Calphalon Textiles 2-Piece Solid and Large Check Kitchen Towel Set, Graphite
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Colors - Too Much Packaging & Too Pricey, October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love the colors of these Calphalon Textiles kitchen towels. The graphite steel gray is pretty and the texture is ribbed.

I do agree with other reviewers that packaging each towel is excessive. Each towel has a paper band style label, a plastic hanger and several clear plastic binding pieces to keep shoppers from opening towels in the store, to see how large they are. The label says they are oversized, but there are no measurements on the label. They in fact measure 31 inches by 17 inches. Yes, they are larger than most kitchen towels. I would not describe them as plush, but they are are nice kitchen towels.

They are monogrammed and have cotton hanging loops on them, too.

Nice towels, but too much packaging and a bit pricey. Good quality, but nothing too special. In the end, you are just buying kitchen towels.

Echoes of Heartsounds: A Memoir
Echoes of Heartsounds: A Memoir
by Martha Weinman Lear
Price: $8.77
24 used & new from $4.30

3.0 out of 5 stars The Story of a Writer's Cardiac Event & Hospital Acquired Secondary Infection, and Her Husbands Hal & AL, October 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Echoes of Heartsounds is a book about the author and her heart attack with subsequent secondary infections obtained in the hospital, and a continuation of musings and memories of her late husband, Hal. As other reviewers have mentioned, she does go on about Hal, who has been deceased for decades, and kind of keeps her current husband, Al, on the backburner. Poor Al.

Anyway, the book is the story of what can happen when a woman has a cardiac event, which is just about anything. The authors symptoms were atypical. There are parts in the book that lead you to think she may not have had a heart attack, or maybe she did. Then she acquired a secondary infection in the hospital, and she goes on about that. As a nurse, I understand her frustrations, but sorry, Martha, nobody owes you an apology. I have known patients that stayed in the hospital for YEARS from secondary infections, and you were quite fortunate yours was recognized and treated, and had positive outcome.

The author does go on about the great love she and her first husband shared. The reader can't help but feel sorry for her second husband, Al, who is there to help her recover, and stays by her side throughout the illness. Also, this story is told from the perspective of someone with financial means to handle everything from living in a central park apartment to spending a month in the hospital without the fear of becoming homeless. Must be nice. The author herself is successful, and married successful men, twice.

The book is okay. I read in a few hours. I didn't laugh and I didn't cry. I know of so many people that had worse outcomes, with no breakthrough in their health, and tremendous financial woes to boot. It's hard for me to care about this woman who has so much.

Zenith Galahad  3-Piece Bath Set
Zenith Galahad 3-Piece Bath Set
Price: $26.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Set For a Modern Bathroom, October 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a 3 piece bath set that includes a large soap dispenser with pump, a soap dish and a toothbrush holder. They all come together in a nice gift set, tied with a bow. It would make a nice wedding gift, or housewarming gift.

The set is made to look like brushed steel, but it's really a medium weight acrylic. I like the large size of the soap dispenser, but had a bit of trouble getting the top (pump) back on when I removed it. The grooves in the screw mechanism didn't quite line up. The pump mechanism itself does work smoothly.

The matching toothbrush holder will hold 3 or maybe 4 standard toothbrushes. The soap dish is fine for holding a standard bar of bath soap or for holding small trinkets, like rings, if you'd prefer.

Overall I think the set is fine. The quality isn't quite as good as I had hoped, for a bath set at this price. It does have a nice look to it and looks good in a modern bathroom. Again, I think it would make a good gift.

Barron's ACT (Barron's Act (Book Only))
Barron's ACT (Barron's Act (Book Only))
by Brian Stewart
Price: $13.76
37 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to Barrons Other ACT TESTStudy Materials, September 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you have know someone studying for their ACT test, Barron's Guides and flash cards are top notch. We already have the flash cards, and are pleased to now own the book.

This thick paperback study guide includes 4 full-length practice tests with comprehensive answer explanations, answers to frequently asked general questions about the ACT test, Subject reviews that cover the parts of the ACT test (English, math, reading, science, and the optional writing test), and additional information for finding practice lessons and solutions on line.

The best part of this book are the practice tests with answer explanations. Advertised as being the only book you need to get the score you want on the ACT test, I would only add that a good overall general education is key, too. You can beef up your test taking skills with this book, and learn some things you maybe didn't know, but overall you need to have a good educational foundation in the main categories, to get a good ACT test score. When you know the basics, then study, study, and study some more and keep taking the test as many times as it takes to get your best score.

MPERO Collection 5 Pack of Clear Screen Protectors for LG Optimus G Pro E980
MPERO Collection 5 Pack of Clear Screen Protectors for LG Optimus G Pro E980
Offered by Empire Case
Price: $1.49
12 used & new from $1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes All Five To Get One On Right, September 19, 2014
I purchased these when they were at a higher price than they are now. They are pretty hard to get on your screen without ending up with multiple bubbles. Heaven forbid there is a piece of lint or pet hair in the vicinity, as it will end up on the sticky film. Good thing there are 5 screen protectors in this collection, because we went through all five before we could get one on correctly.

Unfortunately we need screen protectors for our devices and are at the mercy at the companies that sell them. I'm sure there are better screen protectors out there, but you'll pay no matte what.

Disney Princess Aurora Hooded Bath/Beach Poncho Towel
Disney Princess Aurora Hooded Bath/Beach Poncho Towel
Price: $12.69
6 used & new from $7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a Great Gift!, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Disney Princess Aurora Hooded Bath/Beach towel is supercute and nice quality. Intended for kids ages 3+, it would make a great gift. The colors are vibrant and the fabric is soft. It comes packaged in a plastic bag with cardboard face insert, and on a temporary hanger, all tied up with a pretty pink bow.

100% cotton means easy care. The towel measures 22 inches x 44 inches. The price is right, too. I love it!

DeLonghi TRD40615E High Performance Radiant Heater
DeLonghi TRD40615E High Performance Radiant Heater
Offered by Blessed Living _ BRAND NEW - FAST SHIPPING _ This item cannot be shipped to Alaska - Hawaii - Puerto Rico - PO Box and OUTSIDE of USA
Price: $197.98
3 used & new from $142.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Way to Add Warm, Radiant Heat to Small Rooms, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a long time user and fan of DeLonghi Radiant room heaters and was pleased to review this particular model, the TRD40615E.

We live in an old house that despite heating and insulation improvements, still have cold rooms during the winter months. I have been relying on DeLonghi Radiant heaters for years. Keeping one of these heaters in a room, with the doors closed, and a ceiling fan running backwards, adds a lot of supplemental heat to our bedrooms.

These heaters work well for smaller rooms, like bedrooms and offices. They do not work well in large areas, like living room and family rooms. Using radiant room heaters allows me to lower our homes main heating units thermostat down to around 60 degrees, and still feel cozy and warm in the bedrooms at night. I automatically have the house central heating unit thermostat increase the temperature just before we get up for the day, and when everyone leaves the house for work and school, we turn off the radiant heaters and lower the thermostat for the home heating system down again.

As someone on a budget, and I admit I am obsessed with keeping our bills manageable in the winter while staying comfortable, I cannot recommend these supplemental heaters enough.

This particular model is a high end unit and immediately upon plugging it in and testing it, I felt warm, radiant heat coming from several areas at the top of the unit. There was no smell and no popping sounds of the oil being heated, as used to happen with some of the older units.

I have found that I have to replace these units about every two years, because they do not work properly after two winters of daily use.

Overall I highly recommend this heater for small, closed rooms. It offers warm supplemental heat at an affordable operating cost. We currently have 3 DeLonghi heaters for our 3 bedrooms and will not go a winter without them. I have tried numerous styles of portable heaters in the past, and none offer the reliable warm heat that DeLonghi radiant heaters supply.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20