Profile for Pamela V > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 788

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pamela V ""MS V"" RSS Feed (Mississippi Gulf Coast)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dangerous When Wet: A Memoir
Dangerous When Wet: A Memoir
by Jamie Brickhouse
Price: $19.25

5.0 out of 5 stars "Hold Onto Your Hats, Folks, It's Gonna Be A Bumpy Ride!", March 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Dangerous When Wet is the Memoir of Jamie Brickhouse. Born and raised in a small town in Texas, his mother was a strong force in his life from the day he was born until the day she died. I applaud Jamies mother. She had Joan Collins taste, and worked to create a fortune so she could shower herself and her sons with everything money could buy.

Jamie was gay and loved everything stereo-typically gay: show-tunes, old Hollywood starlets & movies, mink coats, throwing parties with themes, and clinking martini's (Beefeater gin, dry, neat, with a twist).

This book is about his extravagant lifestyle in New York City, as he barrels through his early twenties & thirties, and lives a life of hard drinking, picking up strange men, and working in the publishing industry, amongst other things.

I found his writing to be superb and his story interesting. There wasn't a lot of hilarity in the book, as the cover note written by Mary Karr would suggest, which I believe has put some other reviewers off. There were some funny moments, but mostly this book is about the struggle Jamie had with alcoholism, and the destruction his hard drinking had on his personal life and career, due to the poor choices he consistently made while intoxicated. His rock-bottom wasn't as low as many have to go, because he had a huge support system, but he still hit his rock bottom, which is enough.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in reading a good memoir. The gay components are represented in the book because, as Jamie describes it, "being gay is as much a part of him as having red hair". I didn't find the sexual parts to be too sordid. Fascinating that such risky behavior is still happening in this HIV enlightened age, but not sordid.

I read this book in one day, while resting with the flu, and was totally engrossed from beginning to end. With an interesting cast of characters a good storyline, and brilliant writing, this book had everything I look for in a memoir!

Playtex Sport Combo Pack Tampons and Liners, Regular/Super, 48 Count
Playtex Sport Combo Pack Tampons and Liners, Regular/Super, 48 Count
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Different Products in One Convenient Box, March 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Playtex Sport Combo offers 2 of the best feminine protection products in one box. You get 28 unscented tampons with the comfortable plastic applicators, and 20 regular panti-liners. The tampons are a split mix between 16 regular and 12 super, so you are really getting 3 different products in this one box!

Except for adding a few maxi-pads for sleeping, this box will last you through your roughest period. (Yes, you should sleep with a pad).

Overall an excellent deal from a trusted company. I recommend these highly, for myself and my daughters.

Good Girl: A Memoir
Good Girl: A Memoir
by Sarah Tomlinson
Price: $18.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Writing Even Though There Isn't Much of a Story, February 28, 2015
This review is from: Good Girl: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Reading Good Girl is kind of like reading my own diary or memoir, minus the successful writing jobs. Sarah Tomlinson grew up in Maine, raised by her loving mother and stepfather, but she always longed for the attention of her absent, gambling addicted father. She lived for his infrequent visits and believed his excuses for not visiting her, or providing any support to her mother.

By age 15, Sarah was a goth aka rebel without a cause. She hated herself for no apparent reason and couldn't fit in with school mates at her local high school. She applied to numerous private schools and was finally accepted into a liberal arts college, which she paid for by taking on student loans. She immediately immersed herself into partying, drugs, drinking and sex, while continuing to brood amongst like minded individuals at the school. I don't think that education would have ended well, but a school shooting cut it short anyway. Sarah went on to finish her college degree at another college and the story kind of picks up from there.

This memoir is about Sarah Tomlinson, a ghost writer and rock music critic, and basically about her life. It's supposed to be about her absent father and their relationship, and there is a lot in the book about him, but other characters come and go almost as often as references to her father. We learn all about Sarah and her relationships with men who are really grown children, spoiled boys who play in punk bands, etc. Sarah can't figure out why these relationships don't work, even though it's clear to the reader that they are pretty much based on sex, drugs, and alcohol. She chooses boys and wonders why they aren't men. Then there is Sarah herself. She comes across to me as a very selfish person. There were cringe worthy examples in the book describing time after time when she was needed to step in and help a friend or family member, but she didn't consider it. Always struggling to find herself, and feed her ego, she never wrote about anything she ever did to help others. She is truly a taker.

Having said that, I was interested in the book and read it completely. Whether or not it's memoir worthy, I can't really say. Nothing too interesting happened to Sarah. She moved around, committed herself to nothing but her writing, and complained that relationships weren't perfect and men she became involved in always left her, just like her father.

Her father said it completely when he finally told her, in her mid-thirties, that it was time to take responsibility for her own life and stop blaming other people for everything. I completely agree. By the end of the book, she is not a child anymore. Even as a child, her mother and stepfather made sure she had everything she needed and more. The suffering was her choice. And when she had opportunities to help her family, like when her grandmother died and left her a small insurance settlement, Sarah confesses she needed the money and let her dad borrow money from a social worker to have her grandmother cremated. I found that appalling. And later, when her dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and needed money for alternative treatment, he asked Sarah for help and she refused to give it to him or pay for the treatment, and then didn't care that he was upset by her refusal. She felt she had progressed by being able to tell him no. It doesn't sound like she ever told him yes. She just played the victim for almost 40 years.

Overall, I stuck with the book because it was interesting enough to keep reading. It was kind of like watching a car accident; I just couldn't help myself. The writing is good also, but whether or not non-memoir readers will like this book, I can't say. It really does read like the diary of an average narcissist.

Premama Essentials Prenatal Multivitamins,  30 Count
Premama Essentials Prenatal Multivitamins, 30 Count
Price: $23.79
4 used & new from $18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good For Anyone That Can't Swallow Large Pills, February 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Premama Essentials vitamin drink mix has just about everything a body needs for a growing baby, before and after pregnancy. I am a nurse and the doctor I work with routinely orders geriatric patients to take prenatal vitamins instead of a multivitamin, because there is just so much more with prenatals. Also, multivitamins can be rough on your digestive system. Personally, I have vomited after taking vitamins, for no other apparent reason than just something in the pill. I have no idea what.

For that reason, however, I have stopped taking multivitamins.

I mixed a packet of premama essentials, marketed for pregnant or lactating women who have trouble swallowing prenatal pills, into a cold glass of water and drank it without a problem. There was a slight taste that reminded me of vanilla. I am happy to report zero GI symptoms after taking this supplement.

I wish there were more calcium, but there is only 8% of the daily recommended calcium in a daily packet. For non-dairy drinkers, this is not happy news, but we can always eat more yogurt.

I do find this product pretty cost prohibitive. At a dollar a day, the cost is steep.

Whether it's premama Essentials or another prenatal vitamin, every woman planning on becoming pregnant should take 100% of their daily recommend of folic acid, which is 800 mcg per day as of this review.

Overall I like this product and would recommend it to anyone that can afford it, or has a hard time swallowing the large pills.

Fisher-Price Comfort Curve Bouncer
Fisher-Price Comfort Curve Bouncer
Price: $39.98
10 used & new from $38.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight & Easy To Carry!, February 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This bouncer is intended for babies up to 25 lbs but is very lightweight and I'm not sure I'd feel secure with a 25 lb baby in it. Still, it's a cute, modern designed bouncer with a slight vibration system and hanging toys to amuse baby until he falls asleep.

This bouncer is so lightweight it can easily be carried from room to room while you do your household chores, etc. The construction is really not meant to be an heirloom item, so I see this as being a great gift expecting to be for one baby only. Looks easy to clean, too.

At the price, I think this is a fabulous baby shower gift!

Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Storybook Rhymes Book
Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Storybook Rhymes Book
Price: $9.97
8 used & new from $9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Distraction For Baby, February 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Storybook Rhymes book is great fun for little tots! The large, easy-to-turn pages make for fun learning and keep the toddler busy for a few minutes, by focusing on the book and the listening to the sounds. It's perfect for keeping in the car - easy to clean off the pages with just a wipe down using a damp cloth - or to entertain baby for a few minutes while waiting in a stroller, car seat or play pen area.

The book is priced great for a toy that offers so much. I highly recommend it as a gift for a toddler of about 10+ months.

Only Goodness Inside, Mg Clear Acne care lotion
Only Goodness Inside, Mg Clear Acne care lotion
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Drying Product But Costs A Lot Per Ounce No Matter Where You Get It, February 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Mg Clear Acne Care Drying Mask and Spot applications works by drying the areas of your face that have acne or red spots. As a spot activator, it's good. As a mask, it's quite expensive, as you only receive a one ounce bottle. While this is fine for adult users, teens may not be as aware of how much product should be used to be cost effective, and the little bottle is used up in a matter of days.

There is improvement on my daughters face and I should add that Amazons price is lower than other websites I have perused to get cost comparisons.

The product does have a "Ponds Cold Cream" odor to it. It's not fragrance free, in that respect.

I can recommend this product as a drying agent, especially used on a pimple here and there. When I was a kid, we used egg whites to achieve the same effect, actually.

It's recommended you moisturize your face after use of this product, as it dries out your skin, as intended.

It's a good product, but the cost per ounce is high for most people, I would think.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 12:21 PM PST

S.P. Richards Company Package Sealing Tape, 3"Core, 1-7/8 x 164 Feet, 6-Pack, Clear (SPR60041)
Price: $17.81
10 used & new from $11.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal!, February 16, 2015
This is a good deal for all this packaging tape. It's new and sticky and everything tape should be. With prime shipping, it's a good deal!

Confessions of a Self-Help Writer: The Journal of Michael Enzo
Confessions of a Self-Help Writer: The Journal of Michael Enzo
by Benjamin DeHaven
Price: $17.34
49 used & new from $1.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Reads Like A Blog. Confusing., February 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Confessions of a Self-Help Writer reads more like a blog diary than a book. It's a miniscule book, actually, which is a good thing because there is no flow for the reader as we go short chapter to short chapter. Things are not arranged in chronological order, and is therefore pretty confusing to keep up with the dialogue.

I know a blogger that writes in the same fashion as Benjamin DeHaven, and actually continued to re-check the name, as I could have sworn I was reading the blog of this other writer I follow, and I read his blog only because we are personal friends. Yes, there's a bite to the style of writing.

Honestly, when I put the book down, I cannot tell you what I have just read. The theme is supposed to be confessions of a self-help writer, but we are following a confusing journey between two guys and an intermittent lover named Susan, as they intertwine in each others lives in a messed up, and again, confusing fashion.

As I am only interested in certain types of non-fiction, this story, which is promised to be non-fiction, is probably fiction. As others have mentioned, this is the type of book you carry with you to read on a plane, and leave on the seat when you land.

DLFASHION Scoop Neck Sweep Train Beaded Chiffon Prom Dress M-10 Burgundy
DLFASHION Scoop Neck Sweep Train Beaded Chiffon Prom Dress M-10 Burgundy
Offered by FashionBridal
Price: $86.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Dress - Affordable Price - Great Customer Service!, February 14, 2015
The dress arrived just 14 days after I ordered it. The seller contacted me to make sure the measurements were correct. The dress fits my daughter perfectly and it's stunning! Every bead is accounted for, and the fabric is lovely. The dress is well made. We could not be happier to find this beautiful, new, exotic and unique prom dress at such an affordable price - with excellent customer service! I highly recommend this seller and would definitely buy this dress again!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20