Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Ida Kotyuk > Reviews

Browse

Ida Kotyuk's Profile

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ida Kotyuk "Portrait Painter" RSS Feed (Villa Park, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
THE COUNT OF THE SAHARA: Historical fiction at its best
THE COUNT OF THE SAHARA: Historical fiction at its best
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 29, 2015
It's writers like Wayne Turmel who bring history alive and fun to read; couldn't put it down.

A Dictionary of Superstitions and Mythology
A Dictionary of Superstitions and Mythology
by BIREN BONNERJEA
4 used & new from $2.04

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good Old Days, January 29, 2015
This 1969 reissue, and 314-page, dictionary was originally published in 1927. I mention this because the 14-page bibliography references a French book published in "Paris, 1679." Oh wait! Here's another one published in 1774, in German no less. Good luck in finding them. But, will we ever see such scholarship on a popular subject again?

In the Preface the author discusses his theory of superstition. He explains that the more advanced a nation is, the less superstitious are its people. Also, that when we don't understand cause and effect, our imagination explains everything. But, imagination is also the seed for superstition and "combined with ignorance is superstition full-born."

The importance of superstitious rituals seem to be one of avoidance; of not becoming "polluted." Skip a ritual and you might become anemic caused by some horrible monster or vampire.

Are the alphabetical superstitions accurate? Who cares. The origins of most superstitions are lost in antiquity and, even then, probably changed yearly. Still, I love this stuff because this is a world of rampaging metaphors; one thing stands in for another. A simple Ladder? If you're a sailor and walk under one, you will be hanged. What mystery writer wouldn't love to sprinkle such clues throughout his novel.

Also, I love this stuff because it holds an element of the common sense of that time; an application of what I know given the event.

After the Pronunciation list, begins the alphabetical list of superstitions; that is "A" through "Z." An example? Here's "Ash." If "thrown into the room from a burning log, troubles and anxieties must be expected" (Greece). Or, from India, "On the tenth night after the death of a person, he who fired the funeral pyre is required to sift some ashes, near which a lamp is placed, and the whole covered with a basket. Next morning the ashes are examined, and the ghost is said to have migrated into the animal whose mark appears in the ashes."

There's probably a good reason for the "basket." Still, the life of a Seer during that time must have been difficult. But not as difficult as it is for today's weatherman; who armed with science and technology can still get it wrong, appear on television, and apologize.

Set of 12, Black Vinyl Coated Steel Wire Easel, For Tabletop Use, 3-3/4 x 7-1/2-Inch, Wire Stands for Books, Plates or DVDs
Offered by Library Store
Price: $26.91
2 used & new from $20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Though I wouldn't use large heavy poster boards (unless you ..., November 2, 2014
Though I wouldn't use large heavy poster boards (unless you have several), they are stronger than they picture and are non-skid. I have 36 in total (along with my five easels) for my drawings, and gouache and oil paintings. There are also several in my home for interchangeable photographs.

Beside the Golden Door
Beside the Golden Door
by Beth Staas
Price: $12.95
20 used & new from $9.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Who of us have not had our destinies altered by ..., November 2, 2014
This review is from: Beside the Golden Door (Paperback)
Who of us have not had our destinies altered by America's Golden Door and heard the stories. Staas is another gifted voice touching on our shared history.

ARTnews
ARTnews
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Subscribed for 40 years, June 5, 2014
This review is from: ARTnews (Magazine)
Very few of the artists and their work in ARTnews speak to me, a traditional classicist whose interests end in 1910; but that doesn't mean I like to be ignorant about contemporary art. And so I plow through their monthly magazine and read their articles appreciative that they don't push pretty or precious paintings. But (yes, another one), the best contemporary prose writing I've read is found in its "Reviews" section in the back of the magazine. I read those reviews for their language alone.

I.e., Feb 2014 issue, Lilly Wei's observation of Penner's paintings of landscape with neon signs titled "Gas" or "Pray for Rain." Wei says of American neon signs, "[it's] a kind of heartland haiku, …" Now that's just lovely.

Or, Alfred Mac Adam's comments on Solano and her rattan/wicker baskets, "… her works' essential conceit reprises Dante's idea of a world within a world: God surrounds the human universe, while within the Earth lies the complex structure of Hell. … In short, the interior of a structure is a world unto itself."

ARTnews' reviews and articles encourage me to see the "samo samo" in new metaphorical ways.

Art & Auction
Art & Auction
Price: $144.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Only art magazine I read, March 7, 2013
This review is from: Art & Auction (Magazine)
Love the magazine. After 40 years working as a portrait painter it's the only art magazine I read consistently. Plus carefully wrapped and delivered when and as described.

Solgar Iso-Soy Protein/Isoflavone Concentrated Powder, Natural Vanilla Bean Flavor, 40 Ounce

5.0 out of 5 stars Solgar Iso Soy, September 30, 2012
All the information I read about pre- and post-menopause women stress the importance of Isoflavones; that women should ingest a minimum of 100 mg a day. I found this product to contain the most efficient method to get my 100 mg a day without having to take 40 capsules of something else. I suggest reading about the benefits of Isoflavones. Some women find soy milk to be sufficient. I could list all the benefits I experienced; but, primarily, after taking this product for three months (and give it time), I got my 20-year-old brain back; for some of my friends, their hot flashes stopped.

Isoflavone is more than a dietary supplement.

Wolff Carbon Pencil 4B
Wolff Carbon Pencil 4B
Offered by Hyatt's All Things Creative
Price: $7.42

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Wolff Carbon Pencil 4B (Kitchen)
The product description says "Sold as a Pack of 12". It is not. You get one pencil with a shipping rate of $3. Find another source for your carbon pencils.

Wolff's Carbon Pencil 6B each