Profile for Ida Kotyuk > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ida Kotyuk "Portrait Painter" RSS Feed (Villa Park, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Set of 12, Black Vinyl Coated Steel Wire Easel, For Tabletop Use, 3-3/4 x 7-1/2-Inch, Wire Stands for Books, Plates or DVDs
Offered by Library Store
Price: $26.71
2 used & new from $20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Though I wouldn't use large heavy poster boards (unless you ..., November 2, 2014
Though I wouldn't use large heavy poster boards (unless you have several), they are stronger than they picture and are non-skid. I have 36 in total (along with my five easels) for my drawings, and gouache and oil paintings. There are also several in my home for interchangeable photographs.

Beside the Golden Door
Beside the Golden Door
by Beth Staas
Price: $11.34
7 used & new from $11.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Who of us have not had our destinies altered by ..., November 2, 2014
This review is from: Beside the Golden Door (Paperback)
Who of us have not had our destinies altered by America's Golden Door and heard the stories. Staas is another gifted voice touching on our shared history.

ARTnews (1-year auto-renewal)
ARTnews (1-year auto-renewal)
Price: $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Subscribed for 40 years, June 5, 2014
Very few of the artists and their work in ARTnews speak to me, a traditional classicist whose interests end in 1910; but that doesn't mean I like to be ignorant about contemporary art. And so I plow through their monthly magazine and read their articles appreciative that they don't push pretty or precious paintings. But (yes, another one), the best contemporary prose writing I've read is found in its "Reviews" section in the back of the magazine. I read those reviews for their language alone.

I.e., Feb 2014 issue, Lilly Wei's observation of Penner's paintings of landscape with neon signs titled "Gas" or "Pray for Rain." Wei says of American neon signs, "[it's] a kind of heartland haiku, …" Now that's just lovely.

Or, Alfred Mac Adam's comments on Solano and her rattan/wicker baskets, "… her works' essential conceit reprises Dante's idea of a world within a world: God surrounds the human universe, while within the Earth lies the complex structure of Hell. … In short, the interior of a structure is a world unto itself."

ARTnews' reviews and articles encourage me to see the "samo samo" in new metaphorical ways.

Art & Auction
Art & Auction
Price: $100.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Only art magazine I read, March 7, 2013
This review is from: Art & Auction (Magazine)
Love the magazine. After 40 years working as a portrait painter it's the only art magazine I read consistently. Plus carefully wrapped and delivered when and as described.

Solgar Iso-Soy Protein/Isoflavone Concentrated Powder, Natural Vanilla Bean Flavor, 40 Ounce

5.0 out of 5 stars Solgar Iso Soy, September 30, 2012
All the information I read about pre- and post-menopause women stress the importance of Isoflavones; that women should ingest a minimum of 100 mg a day. I found this product to contain the most efficient method to get my 100 mg a day without having to take 40 capsules of something else. I suggest reading about the benefits of Isoflavones. Some women find soy milk to be sufficient. I could list all the benefits I experienced; but, primarily, after taking this product for three months (and give it time), I got my 20-year-old brain back; for some of my friends, their hot flashes stopped.

Isoflavone is more than a dietary supplement.

Wolff Carbon Pencil 4B
Wolff Carbon Pencil 4B
Offered by Hyatt's All Things Creative
Price: $7.90

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Wolff Carbon Pencil 4B (Kitchen)
The product description says "Sold as a Pack of 12". It is not. You get one pencil with a shipping rate of $3. Find another source for your carbon pencils.

Wolff's Carbon Pencil 6B each

Picasso Paints a Portrait
by David Douglas Duncan
55 used & new from $0.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Picasso Paints A Portrait, September 4, 2012
One would think David Douglas Duncan's "Picasso Paints A Portrait" is a brilliant idea. Duncan, a trusted friend of Picasso, is a "veteran, prizewinning photographer and the author of 20 books, six on Picasso... [Duncan was] a WWII Marine combat photographer in the Pacific (aboard the USS MISSOURI for the Japanese surrender), then as a LIFE photographer, ...twice named Photographer of the Year by the American Society of Magazine Photographers..., and also the first photographer to be honored with a one-man show at the Whitney Museum..."

In this book Duncan photographs Picasso as "... he created a constantly changing oil-on-canvas portrait of Jacqueline, his companion and future wife."

Picasso and Duncan spent two days at Villa La Californie on the French Riviera [where Duncan was Picasso's neighbor]. Duncan and 76-year-old Picasso stood shoulder-to-shoulder in that summer's heat "surrounded by the artist's canvases, collages, and metal-flanged sculptures..."

Above quotes are from the dust jacket.

Why only four stars? Because, for a first edition, the publisher's black-and-white photographs are a disappointment. Instead of velvety grays, we get flat looking photographs of an old man in a pair of shorts. (Actually, knowing how casual Picasso could be, I stared to make sure they were men's shorts and not underwear.)

There is something about black-and-white photography that tends to quiet the image. Picture a flapping American flag captured in black-and-white. Therefore, Picasso's poses look static; much like watching a writer sit in his chair and type the great American novel. So what; that coupled with disappointing reproductions.

Well, I used to be obsessive about most things Picasso; but, I have to thin out my library and this copy is going out to my local library to be sold for a quarter.

What I Did For a Duke: Pennyroyal Green Series
What I Did For a Duke: Pennyroyal Green Series
by Julie Anne Long
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
87 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What I Did For A Duke, June 15, 2012
How refreshing! To find a heroine that isn't weak, moist, and trembling by the tenth page. How refreshing! To find no formulaic mystery with another heroine that is weak, moist, and trembling by the eleventh page. This is a romance with many conversations between a man toying with a young woman he under estimates and a heroine who "sees" him as he truly is. It is a romance that begins in the head and not the loins. Slowly, Long plots and shows us the seduction of the brain; the "primary" organ in arousal.

If the brain isn't engaged the train isn't leaving the station. When the hero's and heroine's dialogue begins on page 101, I slowed my reading to experience all the nuance and wit Long brings to her characters. Reading slow wasn't enough! Finally, I read the 30-page dialogue out loud to experience the full flavor of the seduction.

Also, Long has her fingers on the pulse on the heroine's pain in the loss of her childhood love to another woman. The first time Genevieve leaves the ballroom for her bedroom to cry, I cried with her. We can identify with the brave face and the private tears.

By page 233 they have shared their first kiss. He tells her he should like to kiss her again, "soon." Long writes, "She [the heroine] could tell by the way he said 'soon' that he was amusing himself by tormenting her." She answers, "It's not archery or a picnic or a casual pastime. ...You might at least try a different tone." There is much wit between the hero and heroine.

Having read other Long novels, this one is strong in metaphor. Several times, she makes nature one of the characters. E.g., page 135, the hero casually sits next to the heroine on the blanket when, "The wind took the opportunity to play in his hair, lifting it a bit, tossing it about, letting it drop, satisfied at having mussed a duke." I've met wind like that.

It is a rare gift to write witty conversation that leads to seduction. I hope Long has more of it in her future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3