Profile for Ami Blackwelder > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 132

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ami Blackwelder "Ami Blackwelder" RSS Feed (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
When I Remember Love
When I Remember Love
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LOVE STORY!, June 14, 2011
Length:: 2:41 Mins

[...]
paranormal and scifi romance author
historical and contemporary romance author

Women and Other Monsters
Women and Other Monsters
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Short Stories, May 22, 2011
Women and Monsters by Bernard Schaffer was an intriguing read of short stories. His eclectic mix of stories range from scifi, historical, paranormal, and rare twists on reality. The writing overall is unpredictable and clever. Some of the stories are more to my taste than others, but I would recommend this author to those who love short stories.

The Reluctant Death:
From the very first page, I was drawn in by beautiful prose that read more like poetry, rich with symbolism and a sense of Irish/French history. Excellent. It is in italics. He weaves a tale to make the reader ask, Who is that pale faced man?! Compelling the reader to continue. Dialogue rang true. Some scenes were harsh, like reality; a certain raw intensity. I thought this story was very clever.

Codename Omega:
1918. 1943. A mix of War, Nazis with a twist . This story was not as enjoyable for me as the former (because I am not big on military/war stories), but the writing was good. To the point and always with an interesting twist.

Room Service:
This grabbed my from the first line. Told in first person, we learn the character's opinions of vampires. The writing was humorous with a flare for fun. Reading about the human-vampire dynamic in the room was hilarious and I enjoyed this story.

Cold Comforts:
It was interesting. Unexpected. Though-provoking. I thought the writing was clever, but I did not like the story as much. Mostly about a man-woman relationship gone cold with some serious issues. Overall, the writing has a real unpredictable quality which I like. But this particular story was not for me.

Nazareth:
Scifi, when aliens come to Earth they give us more than we could imagine. The author weaves scifi with religious undertones. I was a bit lost a times with all the science fiction jargon, but overall the story was original and I could appreciate that.

Digestif:
Seems to be sort of a bio.

I hope to see more stories by this author, and hope he will turn some of these ideas into full length novels!

Reviewed by Ami Blackwelder, author of The Shifters of 2040

Lily (The Quest for Reason Book 1)
Lily (The Quest for Reason Book 1)
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire romance, March 8, 2011
Review for Lily by LM Dewalt

As a main character, Vampire Lily lets the reader into her chaotic world of keeping to herself, fearful of harming innocents, and only has a vigilante kill. As a vampire, the road is not easy. Cravings for blood keep her on edge, but she learns to adapt and control her urges.

When a neighbor shows interest in her, they finally go out and thus begins a romance, and eventually Christian shows up in her life and heightens the romantic passions. But when other vampires show up in her life, namely Ian, Kalia, Aaron, and Kalia, her roller coaster of a life really begins. With various supernatural gifts of mind reading and seeing the future, this story unfolds. When a mystery voice begins to haunt her, she may be up against more than she can handle.

My only qualm with the novel is that every other sentence begins with I...I...I...
The story; however, is relatable. One with a vampire flare, like many romances. A story about letting go of the bad man in your life, for the good guy. With a surprise ending, this story will leave you with a few unexpected twists. Told in first person, if your looking for a female lead vampire tale, with a hint of romance and thrills, this may be right up your alley.

Reviewed by Ami Blackwelder, author of The Shifters of 2040 (Shifter Evolutions)

A Romantic'S Passion: The Tenth Muse
A Romantic'S Passion: The Tenth Muse
by Valentinno
Price: $11.69
23 used & new from $10.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, February 23, 2011
This review is for The Romantic's Passion: The Tenth Muse by Valentinno.
From the first line I knew this poetry would be a collection of delicious words. Words to savor long after read. But to put into review what the author, Valentinno, has already done so magnificently would be an injustice, but I will try.

Laced often with spiritual uplifting undertones, this collection of romantic poetry, letters, journal entires, and images, is a must-read for the romantic in all of us. Perfect for that Valentine Day, Wedding Day, Anniversary. Perfect for simply sitting on your porch with a warm cup of tea, enjoying the day.

His poetry feels natural, not forced, and elicits images of Earth, nature, God, the Spirit, eternity, heaven. As if reading words from an old fashioned romantic story book, his poetry transcends time and lifts your spirit to a place of absolute beauty.

"My noble Lady,
I love you with everything I revere. When I draw from your lips to commit that holy sin, it feels like the world has stopped, at that very moment in time. I cannot live without you, my lady, and for that I would give my life."

Highly recommended to the lover in us all, to your significant other, to simply adore the beauty within yourself again.

Reviewed by Ami Blackwelder, author of The Shifters of 2040 and reviewer on Hot Gossip Hot Reviews blog.

Richer
Richer
by Jean Blasiar
Price: $16.95
24 used & new from $7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, February 6, 2011
This review is from: Richer (Paperback)
Richer, a novel by author Jean Blasiar is a follow up to Poor Rich. Following the life of teenager Rich Cameron, the reader is immediately drawn into the main characters woes from page one. Gia (the girl who left him), U2 (his bad-mouthed parrot), Mom, and by chapter two we meet up with Dad. Parents divorced, more woe.

The life of Rich Cameron is a complicated one, because he suffers from a nervous condition as a result of his high intelligence. As a teacher and writer, I could emphasize with Rich Cameron. Kids are often ostracized for being different and I understood his complexities.

This is a gem of a book for a student who is feeling misplaced, or that because of some gift he/she doesn't fit in. I think Jean would do the school system well if she wrote up a lesson plan for Poor Rich and Richer that teachers could follow in the classroom. I'd be willing to bet teachers would read the book in class and even have students buy it if they had a lesson plan to follow.

With enough twists and turns to keep you turning the pages, and written by a deftly writing talent, I recommend this book to students, teenagers, teachers, and parents! Or even adults looking for something of literary quality to read that is not mainstream.

Reviewed by Ami Blackwelder, author of The shifters of 2040 and The Hunted of 2060

Hello, Norma Jean: A Flight of Fantasy with Marilyn Monroe
Hello, Norma Jean: A Flight of Fantasy with Marilyn Monroe
by Sue Dolleris
Price: $13.46
28 used & new from $3.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Monroe -A Ghost Guide, February 6, 2011
Hello, Norma Jean by Sue Dolleris

From the prologue the author drew me in with her refreshing depictions of scenes and time-setting elements. I felt like I could be in a old-time movie. References to Casablanca and Moonlight Sonata help fortify this picture of Marilyn Monroe's time.

This Moonlight Sonata is carried with the reader to the first opening chapter when we meet the main character humming the catchy tune. Setting again a mood, a tone. A writer with a way with words.

Told in present tense, I think I would have loved to hear the story told in past tense, but the present does give the story a more immediate feeling. A sense that what was, is now in the what-is.

Katie's journey allows the reader into her life, a life that seems ordinary at first, mundane, nothing unusual. Until Kate realizes she has had a accident and she is now guided by the spirit of Norma Jean -Marilyn Monroe.

I like that the author doesn't meander in getting to the point of the story like some authors.

I love the details the author uses like "the morning sunlight is streaming through the windows." "afloat in the threatening sky." But there are too many sentences beginning with Kate. However, the lovely plot of the story keep me very captivated and the otherwise eloquent usage of the English language by the author kept me more interested still.

Through all the trails and tribulations, I guess it would be nice if we all had such a spirit guide to help us along life's bumpy and unpredictable course. In the end, Kate and Norma Jean do work things out among "themselves."

I liked the book. This would definitely appeal to a wide audience. Those who adore Marilyn Monroe and also those who are interested in Mediums, spirits, and ghosts. This book could also appeal to people who are interested in such things as Life coaches. In a way, this book is a coach.

I would recommend this to my friends and hope anyone wondering if they should by the book, buys the book! You won't regret the decision.

A very unique concept handled in a very entertaining and informative way.

Reviewed by Ami Blackwelder, author of Shifters of 2040/ Hunted of 2060

by Radcliff Lance
Price: $14.95
18 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner!, February 6, 2011
Suicide Run, written eloquently by author Racliff Lance, is a story about a hitman named Joshua and from the very first chapter I was immediately drawn in. I read a lot of books for review, and I can honestly say this opening scene was one of the more intriguing I have read. Straight to the point. Straight to the drama. I know exactly what the book will be about and whose point of view the story will be told in. Polished. Excellent.

I just got done speaking with OceanView Publishing at the Barnes n Noble the night prior to reading this novel, and they are 90% thriller/mystery publishing, looking for more novels. I recommend this book be picked up quick!

I also read a lot of work that is independently published, and contrary to what I'm told, most of it is rather well done. With mainstream I get the standard, not unedited work, but usually nothing special either -formula books. But with independent authors, I do find the coal (unedited, uncared for works), but yet I often find diamonds. With indie, always something unique.

This book is one of the diamonds. Couldn't put it down. I'm so glad I have a smartphone so I could transfer the .pdf to it and read wherever I go.

A Highly Recommended Mystery Thriller

Reviewed by author Ami Blackwelder of The Shifters of 2040 and The Hunted of 2060

My Perfect Wedding (Helen Grey Book 2)
My Perfect Wedding (Helen Grey Book 2)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and True Commentary on Life!, January 31, 2011
My Perfect Weeding by Sibel Hodge jumps right into the story from the first page. Active words keeps the reader turning the pages. Told in first person, from the beginning, I wanted to know more about this "Karem" and how she felt about him.

Dialogue is refreshing and very real. The way Hodge weaves dialogue into the story feels very natural, not forced like with some authors. She even has a few comedic scenes and lines to keep the reader engaged. I laughed out loud on some occasions. "Mr. Potato Head," need I say more?

In this laugh-out loud, real to the bone, commentary on what being married is like, I felt like I got to the know the two main characters very well and learn a thing or two about relationships.

With an atmosphere in Nicosia, there is plenty to draw from to keep the reader visually stimulated, and united with interesting dialogue, this novel was fun and hard to put down.

We often think life will be perfect if only....but his story is a real-life kick in the butt, revealing that life is never perfect. A bumpy ride, full of ups and downs, this story was very enjoyable.

I recommend this to anyone!

Reviewed by Author of The Hunted of 2060, The Shifters of 2040

The Real Dog is Harry (Emmy Budd Mysteries) (The Emmy Budd Mysteries Book 3)
The Real Dog is Harry (Emmy Budd Mysteries) (The Emmy Budd Mysteries Book 3)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, December 15, 2010
The Real Dog is Harry is the third book in the series of Emmy Budd. I had the pleasure of reading the first to and donated them to my local school library so others could enjoy this wonderfully crafted series. This book like the predecessors, has mystery, believable characters, fun, entertainment, and a literary quality much like the Nancy Drew series.

I highly recommend this not only because I enjoyed it, but because I know kids will love this too! As a teacher I look for books that differ from the paranormal rage all the kids are into nowadays. I like this series, because the characters feel real, the time and setting are both also real and the story uses critical thinking skills that are good as exercise tools for the young minds of readers.

I hope to read more in this adventurous series which has been very entertaining before bed.

Reviewer Ami Blackwelder, author of The Day The Flowers Died
Hot Gossip Hot Reviews

Supernature
Supernature
by Henry Lyons Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious, December 5, 2010
This review is from: Supernature (Paperback)
By ami blackwelder
Supernature by H.V. Lyons is also a song composed by M. Cerrone. The story itself leaves for much mystery, clouded with dead bodies popping up all over. Beginning with the prologue and then the first chapter: Mystery in the Desert, the reader is pulled into a world of a mysterious virus or possibly a murder? The question pushes the reader to continue forward. As the story progresses you find yourself in one mystery after another, waiting for the solution. When the military are dragged into solving why people are turning up dead everywhere, the story goes full speed ahead. If you like books about the world coming to an end or mysterious deaths, this book could be for you! I stayed up way to late one night finishing a chapter, because sometimes as a reader, you just have to know why. Reviewed by ami Blackwelder, Hot Gossip Hot Reviews Blogspot Author of The Hunted of 2060

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14