Profile for Jacasni > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 55

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jacasni RSS Feed (Kissimmee, FL United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Amish Love Of A Lifetime (Amish Romance)
Amish Love Of A Lifetime (Amish Romance)

3.0 out of 5 stars Three stars because it is oddly unusual., August 5, 2014
Three stars because of how different and strange this reading experience was. It wasn't very Amish....and it wasn't all that interesting. Much of it was just mundane. Actually, ALL of it was pretty mundane, but I have never read a novel that was completely narrative. Zero speaking by anyone in the book.

If I told this story in a group, they'd all walk out from boredom, but I just kept going, thinking that there must be a plot on the next page. However, I have to say that I am glad that I read it, and I am glad that I am done with it. These lives seemed much more non-Amish than what I imagine from my own experiences and other study. The kids in this book were somewhat lazy, troubled, confused, sullen, and had attitude problems. They avoided work and study. If this had been told as a story of a Protestant family in Dubuque, it might have made more sense to me.

Oh well. Can't recommend it, really....but I wonder of other reviewers would feel differently.

Treasures of the North (Yukon Quest Book #1)
Treasures of the North (Yukon Quest Book #1)
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars This reader is annoyed ...and a bit angry!, August 3, 2014
This is another one of those "first" books in a series that leaves the reader in the predicament do either doing without the ending of the story, or forking over for the rest of the series. I wish that writers, especially established ones like Ms. Peterson would realize just how annoying and deceptive this practice is. Maybe it is the fault of the publishers. Who knows?

I resent that the story is unfinished. So much peripheral stuff through the book, that could have been excluded to leave room for the complete story.

I love and believe the "gospel" presentation in the book, so don't lump this review with the others that were bothered by that, but the way the book ended was the wrong way to treat the folks who read her books.

A bit "unchristian"???

Texas Whirlwind
Texas Whirlwind

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable ..... Shaking my head!!!, July 17, 2014
This review is from: Texas Whirlwind (Kindle Edition)
After having read at least three of Ms. Blythe's books,
I realize that her female characters are flawed, riddled with attitude, and hard to take.
Maybe these fiction books are a bit autobiographical? Who knows?

She (Ms. Blythe) is an excellent writer, which is what brought me back to her books.
The great reviews are understandable, but I think I am now finished being annoyed.

No woman alive would treat Travis the way Emma did,
(assuming she was in her right mind....which we are to believe she was, seeing that
she was adopting two little children.) If there are any great men like Travis out there,
I know plenty of beautiful, gifted, compassionate women that would never put him through
the stuff Emma did. Didn't ring true!

Jacob's Daughter: Book One: Jacob's Daughter Amish Series (Jacob's Daughter Series (An Amish, Christian Romance) 1)
Price: $1.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Help! No more "Fraa" or "Bopplis" or "bruder" or "familye" or "kaffi" or "Kinner" or "kind" or "dochder" etc. etc.., July 12, 2014
Why.....Why, why do authors of Amish type fiction feel that throwing in the so called German/Amish type words will make the story authentic? When one is used, here or there, it can be a bit charming, but there must be a law passed, to make it a crime of epic proportions to do it with the frequency that Ms. Bayarr did in this book. Other reviewers mentioned the thin plot. Agreed. Not much character development. True. Jacob was a sweet man, but nobody is such a pushover that he would agree to this storyline.
However, I might have overlooked all of that if I had not gotten so annoyed with the overuse of the non English words in an English language book. Occasionally a word can be appropriate. This book went WAY over the line.

I won't be continuing with this series, but maybe a word to future Amish fiction authors is wise. Stop it!

Aussie Hairspray Mega
Aussie Hairspray Mega
Offered by Cosmetic Solutions
Price: $5.29
23 used & new from $3.08

4.0 out of 5 stars The only one for me!, June 30, 2014
I have used this for years. Says it is "mega" hold, but my hair is flexible, and easy to get a brush through.
Lasts a long time, too...

Safe by the Marshal's Side (Witness Protection Book 1)
Safe by the Marshal's Side (Witness Protection Book 1)
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating as Can Be!, June 30, 2014
Shouldn't take five or so books to reveal the ending that we should have been treated to by finishing this book.
This series could be fantastic if it didn't leave the reader out on a limb. I also wish that there was one author throughout the series. Not fair to us to have a continuing story line, but different styles. Is it possible that this author doesn't even know who "boss".... "Mr. Big" is? That is the way it seems.
Nice romance.... If the mystery had been solved, I would have liked the book a lot. As is...... Nope.

Scarleton Quilted Patent Satchel H106438 - Violet
Scarleton Quilted Patent Satchel H106438 - Violet
Offered by Scarleton
Price: $25.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and very roomy, June 25, 2014
My only disappointment is that the opening isn't big enough. Not much room for my hands to work, getting things in and out. ....if my hand is in, I cannot see the contents. I consider that to be a design flaw, but I will use, and probably enjoy the purse. Sure is pretty, though.

A LOVE FOR DELICIOUS (Christian Historical Western Romance) (Woman of Courage Book 1)
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars This one is hard to review!, June 25, 2014
"Delicious" is a hard working very young woman (do I remember that she is only 18?) who loves her stepchildren that she has only known for a short time, just as if she had given birth to them all. She headed west to fulfill her promise to her dead husband who was borderline abusive, taking his five children on a wagon train, without wagon or supplies to speak of. She encounters the experienced wagon master who, it so happens, is the wonderful, kind younger brother to her dead husband, and uncle to the children.

The way she second guessed every order he gave....and made her own rules, absolutely drove me crazy. She paid for her mistakes with injuries, and losses over and over, but still did as she pleased, thinking she knew better than "Zeke" who was completely in love with her and tried to protect her, even when she was so headstrong.

Never did figure out the "deed" thing. That made no sense. What was it about?

I don't know...... This author writes well...but I can't figure where she was coming from, ....if this expressed a problem with authority, or if she just didn't realize that a real traveler with Delly's mind set,would never have made it to Oregon alive.

I would read this author's books again, but I have to say that as devoted to the children as she was, I didn't much like Delicious. She was somewhat of a train wreck, but I thought Zeke was terrific. Oh well..... Pretty unrealistic story, ....but it's fiction, right?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2014 9:53 AM PDT

Done Being Friends
Done Being Friends

1.0 out of 5 stars No...no...no., June 2, 2014
I hope this author will try again. This book is very short on plot....and, despite what other reviewers have said, the Christian element is hardly to be found. Going on mission trips doesn't make one a Christian. The mind set of these people borders on the ridiculous. What were their lives about?

The premise of good friends falling in love is a good one....but these "best friends" and their behavior were unlike anything I have ever heard of. Also...., who says something like " he called thrice"? Honestly.... I think this author can produce something way better than this flawed book. It badly needed a story.
I wish I had liked it, since it was a first book. Finished it, but would not recommend it, even free.

Romance on the River (Free Short Story) (Civil War Heroines Series)
Romance on the River (Free Short Story) (Civil War Heroines Series)
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars This is "short" but it is NOT a story., May 29, 2014
This is an infomercial for a series of books. I should have known better than to get taken.
Unless you are interested in buying the series, and are familiar with, and love this author, don't bother.

I really was put off by this...even though the "story" had a promising start, I couldn't delete it fast enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6