Profile for Theresa Williams > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 52

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Theresa Williams "Zen" RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Justin Boots Women's Aqha Smooth Ostrich Remuda Broad-toe Boot
Justin Boots Women's Aqha Smooth Ostrich Remuda Broad-toe Boot
Price: $315.95 - $360.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boot, May 3, 2013
I have worn a pair of these for 3 years. Great fit and look. I have several pairs of boots and some more expensive than these but not better. I wear these boots all the time.

The Rose Tattoo
The Rose Tattoo
DVD ~ Anna Magnani
26 used & new from $8.13

2.0 out of 5 stars Overwraught Disaster, May 5, 2010
This review is from: The Rose Tattoo (DVD)
After watching Anna Magnani in THE FUGITIVE KIND, I wanted to see all of the movies she had starred in. Her performance in THE FUGITIVE KIND was powerful, and her unconventional non-Hollywood look really appealed to me. I chose THE ROSE TATTOO, based on several good reviews I had read and also because I have enjoyed so many of Burt Lancaster's performances. However, I found this movie to be very disappointing.

In THE FUGITIVE KIND, Anna Magnani is damaged, mourning the loss of a father and a lover many years prior. With her racist husband, she displays a calm resignation, under which is an undeniable dread. With Brando she exudes a quiet, simmering passion that is astounding to watch. What's missing in THE ROSE TATTOO are the quiet moments where you see characters transform before your eyes. In THE ROSE TATTOO, Magnani just screams and screams. There is little insight into her inner agony. Instead, she breaks things or slams doors.

Lancaster's performance is also bad. He is not convincing as an Italian, nor is he convincing as the "fool" who tries to steal Magnani's heart.

I wanted to like this movie. Not only are two of the actors my favorites, but I also love Tennessee Williams's plays and screenplays. But this movie just plain does not work.

Factotum
Factotum
DVD ~ Matt Dillon
Offered by Super Fast DVDs
Price: $4.58
109 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Man; Gentle Vision, August 28, 2009
This review is from: Factotum (DVD)
When you make a movie about a man who was as fiercely individualistic as Bukowski, you are bound to rub some of Bukowski's fans the wrong way. Each of us takes something different from the life and times of Bukowski. I have no doubt that many films will be made about Bukowski in the future; each will have its own vision. I've been reading Bukowski's work for more than twenty years and have always been drawn to the gentleness that I know exists within the hard man. So I loved this movie because it does touch, at times, on that gentleness. One aspect of Bukowski's nature that the film thankfully mentions is Bukowski's love of music: I wish the film could have brought that out more because I've always thought this was the keys to understanding the depth of this great writer. Music was Bukowski's sanctuary. However the film does an excellent job of portraying Bukowski's quest, which is not to be published, although every writer does seek that, but simply to live his own life and to write.

The Door in the Floor
The Door in the Floor
DVD ~ Jeff Bridges
Offered by Jay Mart
Price: $9.24
146 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful Meditation on Loss, August 1, 2009
This review is from: The Door in the Floor (DVD)
After the loss of both their sons, Ted and Marion Cole's marriage is falling apart. They communicate mostly through Eddie, the Exeter student Ted has hired to be his writing assistant. Their daughter, Ruth, conceived after the boys' deaths, is as nearly obsessed with the deceased boys as Marion. Ruth spends much of her time recounting anecdotes about them while looking at their photographs, which line both sides of the hallway in their house. It is Ruth's growing obsession that no doubt leads Marion to leave marriage and motherhood in an attempt to protect Ruth: "I don't want her [Ruth]to be like me."

The title is named for the children's book of the same name that Ted has authored. The children's story is a fable which portrays Ted and Marion's loss and causes us to question whether the joys in life are worth the pain that happens with their inevitable end. The "door" is like the gates of Eden. Once we pass through, we are no longer innocent. We know the pain of life.

Kim Basinger is brilliant as the afflicted mother, but it is Jeff Bridges' portrayal of Ted Cole that steals the show. He manages to make Ted, a truly despicable character, into a man we can sympathize with, even love. His final act is unexpected and unspeakably poignant. This film joins the handful of films that I truly love.

My Little Book About God
My Little Book About God
by Jane Werner Watson
Edition: Board book
Price: $4.49
180 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Research Your Edition, March 24, 2009
This book was first published in 1956. I was born in 1956 and I had this book as a child. I spent endless hours looking at the pictures before I could read. When I did learn to read, I enjoyed the book very much. I did not grow up in a religious family, and the concept of god that was presented in this book was gentle and, as I look back on it, profound. In particular, I loved how god was presented as being present in every aspect of our lives, from rain, to insects, to our parents' love.

I recently ordered a used copy of the book for research I am doing. The used copy is dated 1984. I was disappointed to see that some of my fond pictures were replaced in this edition with what I can only assume are "politically correct" pictures of African American children.

These new pictures are jarring because they don't fit stylistically with the earlier drawings. And, of course, I was disappointed that some of my favorite illustrations were missing. If you are buying the book based on your early memories of it, do the research and make sure you are getting the original illustrations.

The Bridge
The Bridge
DVD ~ Eric Geleynse
4 used & new from $199.98

5.0 out of 5 stars About Suffering They Were Never Wrong, The Old Masters, July 6, 2007
This review is from: The Bridge (DVD)
_The Bridge_ was inspired by a 2003 New Yorker article called "Jumpers" by Tad Friend.

The most disturbing, and the most controversial, aspect of the film is that you witness actual suicides as they take place. Steel was able to capture nearly all the suicides that took place in 2004 by setting up cameras and letting them run. Steel then interviewed friends and family members of people who jumped. What emerges is a story about intense pain and desperation, people who felt they were somehow on the outside of life. What also emerges is a story about the rest of us who really don't want to know about such things because they bring us pain.

It's been nearly week since I saw the film, and I'm still haunted by the images, the people. I can't shake the thought that I witnessed their last act. One of them was a young man named Gene. I keep seeing him in my mind's eye, walking up and down the railing, his long black hair flying in the wind, waiting, searching, for the right moment to jump.

This, of course, is Eric Steel's intent: I'm not supposed to be able to shake the images. I'm supposed to be disturbed by them.

Watching, I thought of W.H. Auden's poem, "Musee des Beaux Arts":

About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters; how well, they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening
a window or just walking dully along;
How, when the aged are reverently, passionately waiting
For the miraculous birth, there always must be
Children who did not specially want it to happen, skating
On a pond at the edge of the wood:
They never forgot
That even the dreadful martyrdom must run its course
Anyhow in a corner, some untidy spot
Where the dogs go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse
Scratches its innocent behind on a tree.
In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
Quite leisurely from the disaster; the ploughman may
Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,
But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone
As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green
Water; and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen
Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,
had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on.

1940

Steel wants viewers to make the connection to Auden's poem, I think. The spirit of the poem is suggested in the imagery several times. Steel shows us that suffering takes place all around us. Yet we don't notice because we have "somewhere to get to." We sail "calmly on."

If you're looking for light entertainment or factual documentary, this film is not for you. I love dark themes and thought-provoking material, and I don't think anything else I've ever seen matches the intensity of this film. _The Bridge_ will encourage viewers to think deeply about artistic and social responsibility. And the film will engage you in a little known or thought about aspect of life.

Y Tu Mama Tambien (R-rated Edition)
Y Tu Mama Tambien (R-rated Edition)
DVD ~ Maribel Verdu
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $7.01
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Sex and Death: The Road to Lost Innocence, June 8, 2007
The coupling of sex and death is ancient. Y Tu Mama Tambien is a modern treatment of this theme. Two seventeen year old boys go on a road trip with a twenty-eight year old woman who is beautiful and who is dying. The boys don't know about her illness, however, and see the trip as an opportunity to further their sexual experience. They act as most seventeen year old boys do. They brag about their sexual exploits and their ability to please their girlfriends. Their dying companion takes it upon herself to teach the boys what women really want. Underneath this, though, is her fascination with the boys' youth and exuberance. Their bodies are strong and responsive, if a bit jittery and hard to control. Their energy is in stark contrast to her own, which must wane as her illness grows more severe. The road trip is replete with references to death. Even as the sexual adventure progresses, the boys' relationship with each other is also explored. One is rich, the other of a lower class. The boys have devised all sorts of chivalric rules to live by, yet the rules are broken. Not only do they sleep with each other's girlfriends, they relate to each other on the basis of social status more than they are willing to admit. The movie shows this in many ways, not the least of which is the way each acts when he visits the other's bathroom. This is a coming of age film which is not corny and which doesn't hide the more black elements of growing up and losing one's innocence. Yes, there is a lot of nudity, but the nudity is not exploitive or (...). It is natural and, I would argue, necessary to the film.

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
DVD ~ Sacha Baron Cohen
Offered by Solo Enterprises
Price: $13.00
293 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars It's just too vulgar, April 16, 2007
I know that I am probably in the minority in my opinion of this movie. This is my 50th Amazon review, and I generally only review goods, books or movies that I really like because I want to help shed some light on them for other people. Only one other time was I moved to give a negative review to something. I will preface my review by saying that it comes from a very personal place.

As an artist myself, I think artists' efforts should be celebrated. I'm also all for artistic freedom. However, although I found much to like in this movie, on balance I found it to be just excessively vulgar. I like satire and I appreciated the fact that BORAT exposes elements of sexism and racism and almost every other kind of "ism." I especially appreciated the commentary on America's hyper-patriotism.

But I thought the movie just went too far in its vulgarity and, as such, may be doing more harm to our society than good. We already live in a society where crudeness is rewarded by big money (Don Imus, Howard Stern). This in itself is a problem. Within that context, I find myself wondering why BORAT had to push the envelope so much: I just didn't think it needed to. So much of it was very, very funny: the running of the Jews, the scenes with the humor coach and the feminists, the scene where Borat is buying the car and is looking for a p*s** magnet. But other scenes are just too over the top: the nude wrestling match, the photograph of a [...], the [...] scene--why does the movie need these? For shock value? I am perplexed, truly.

I also am a little concerned that many people won't understand that this is a satire. There is a fine line between attacking social conventions with humor and condoning those social conventions. I think this distinction is not always clear in BORAT.

It does pain me to say these things, because there is much to like in BORAT. But we live in such a social climate of crass vulgarity these days that I find myself disappointed in the movie ultimately because I think it may be contributing to a climate of shallowness and an attitude of "anything goes." Many of my friends and colleagues like this movie, but I am troubled by it, and I think the maker of the film could have made better choices.

Little Miss Sunshine
Little Miss Sunshine
DVD ~ Steve Carell
Price: $4.75
407 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Antidote to the American Myth, April 13, 2007
This review is from: Little Miss Sunshine (DVD)
The is one of the best movies I have seen in years. It has been described as a movie about a dysfunctional family, but I disagree. On an important level, these people are us. Do all of us win all the time?

True, in a sense, everyone in the family is a "loser." They do not succeed in that quintessential "American" way. The father isn't great at his job, the mother complains because there isn't enough money, the son is colorblind, Olive isn't "pretty" in that beauty contest kind of way, the Uncle is gay, has lost a prestigious job, and is unhappy in love, and Grandpa snorts cocaine to numb his pain. These do not sound like unusual problems to me, but together, they do make for a lot of really funny and poignant moments.

FYI: This is not a Hollywood Myth about the underdog winning the day. I say "Yay!" Aren't you tired of those?

I think the movie wants us to ask ourselves what the word "loser" means. Each person in LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE has failed in some important dream, but are we so enraptured with the American Myth of "success" that we would truly call this family dysfunctional? The Myth tells us that "anybody" can do "anything" as long as he or she believes hard enough. I think the movie is saying that the Myth is a dysfunctional myth. The problem with these characters in the beginning is not that they have dreams, but that they are afraid to fail. Failure in America is a dirty word: if you can't succeed in America, then where?

At the end of the movie, although each character has failed in a significant way, each is a winner in a deeper sense. And they certainly do not come across to me as "losers" or as a dysfunctional family. I think they finally are seeing some things clearly for the first time. This is a movie filled with humor and humanity. It is a wonderful antidote to a myth that would make us all feel like "losers" when things don't go our way. I wish there were more movies like this.

And by the way, I don't laugh easily at movies. But I laughed so hard at the end of this movie that my glasses steamed up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2007 11:21 PM PDT

Palm Tungsten E2 Handheld
Palm Tungsten E2 Handheld
Offered by PDAs_plus
Price: $105.00
32 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Writer-Teacher's take, April 7, 2007
I would like to offer a somewhat different perspective on this product. I am not a business person; my thinking and needs are very different from a business person's. I am a reader, writer, teacher. Moreover, I am a very disorganized person. I thought maybe if I had a device that could centralize all the various elements of my life effectively, I could have some peace of mind. I have never owned an electronic tool of this sort. After reading and investigation on various brands, I chose this one. I have to say, it is one of the easiest electronic tools I have ever used. I didn't buy it for the bluetooth capability, so I can't speak to that. But it is a wonderfully easy and handy tool for keeping apointments straight and having contact information handy anywhere. Reading through the description of the E2, I was initially afraid that I would have to buy Microsoft Outlook in order to be able to have a calendar and appointment capability, but this is not true. The CD that comes with the E2 has those features--and many more--on it. As a writer, I appreciate the "Documents to go" feature. It is so easy to transfer Word documents to the Palm, and I have put several of my favorite poems on it. I have also bought a little keyboard to go with my Palm so that I can work on poems/stories while away. It is so much more compact than my laptop (and I have the smallest laptop that Dell ever made). It probably wouldn't be a good choice for writing the "Great American Novel" on, but for capturing those ideas that just can't wait, and when your brain is working faster than you can write by hand, this is a great device. I write a lot when I travel. I can also put my lecture-PowerPoints on the device so that I can review them anywhere. Finally, with expansion cards, you can also carry music, photos, and video with you. I do have a 60GB iPod, but, frankly, I am reluctant to carry it with me on some of my more rugged road/boat trips. And, as much as I love my iPod, I still find putting photos on it to be a confusing process. (I am not that technically savvy.) But the E2 works like a dream; simply drag and drop the photos, music, video that you want and there it is! The E2 also has a small speaker which works surprising well and I use it for listening to poems. A headphone jack allows for a richer experience for listening to music. The only downside is that the E2 doesn't have much memory and the expansion cards can be expensive. But I've decided the expense is worth it because now I can carry so many of my precious documents with me in once device which is fairly rugged (at least compared to the iPod which does not have the more stable flash drive that the E2 does). So I can use my iPod to store ALL of my music, to plug into my home speakers, and to take on short, easy adventures. But the E2 can go with me practically everywhere. The E2 is small, light, fast, easy to use. I really, really like it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6