Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Profile for Writergal > Reviews

Browse

Writergal's Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Writergal RSS Feed (Missouri)

Page: 1 | 2
Voodoo Butterfly (Voodoo Butterfly Series Book 1)
Voodoo Butterfly (Voodoo Butterfly Series Book 1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Magical First Book, March 31, 2015
While I wasn't too keen on the Voodoo aspect of this story, I did appreciate the depth of research Camille did to get the facts right. I did like the "mind changer" powers, though. I was even more intrigued by those powers towards the end. The main character, Sophie, was a bit annoying at first. She always seemed to have her back up about one thing or another, and she was a bit on the bratty side. That's what character growth is for, however, and she eventually develops into a much more likeable woman by the end of the book. There's a little bit of everything here. Love, faith, mystery, intrigue, and, of course, magic. I'm looking forward to seeing how Sophie's powers develop, and what she gets herself into in the next book. Good on ya, Camille!

Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
by Maggie Stiefvater
Price: $12.14
165 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Final Chapter for the Wolves of Mercy Falls, August 2, 2011
Grace and Sam are two young lovers who only want to be together. There's just a few things standing in their way. One, Grace's parents don't approve of their relationship (even though they were pretty much non-parents before Sam came into her life). Two, Grace just so happened to turn into a wolf at the end of the last book. Sam, of course, was cured, so that pretty much puts a damper on the spending any time together thing. Three, just about everyone in Mercy Falls thinks that Sam has killed Grace. Four, Isabel Culpepper's father wants every wolf in Mercy Falls dead. He's still pretty bitter with the death of his only son. Understandable? Yes. Absolutely necessary? No. To top everything off, a certain female has turned up dead, mutilated by a very nasty werewolf that was never really in her right mind to begin with. There's plenty of suspense and intensity here, but there were plenty of horriblt drawn out chapters that kept me from getting completely drawn into the story, as well. Grace and Sam are two very endearing characters, however, so I could never give their story any less than four stars.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Quirk Classics)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Quirk Classics)
by Steve Hockensmith
Price: $9.84
314 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell Shy of the Mark, May 27, 2010
I loved Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, since it was shockingly funny and wonderfully unexpected. This one didn't quite come up to par, though, I'm sorry to say. I wanted to like it, but I never had a real connection to the story. I didn't think that the author was quite true to the characters, and there was a lot less action. I wonder if it would have been better if the story took place back when the wars first started, and Lady Catherine De Bourgh and Mr. Bennet were young warriors. In any case, the book did make me want to read the original again. By the way, the ending was very disturbing, which I'm sure the author intended. I will be thinking about the box and it's contents for some time, and having an occasional shiver all the while.

The Chatham School Affair
The Chatham School Affair
by Thomas H. Cook
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
179 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow Read, but a Great Shocker Ending, May 27, 2010
It started out a bit slow, and I wasn't too fond of the flash backs at first, but it soon caught my interest enough to keep me reading. The story is told by Henry Griswald, who was a boy at the time of the "affair". He was a student at Chatham school, as well as, the headmaster's son. He didn't have friends, he didn't have much respect for his father, and he is destined to do something he would never be able to forgive himself for. One fateful evening, tragedy will strike, people's lives will change forever, and young Henry would be there to see it all. He's the only one who knows the whole truth, and he's kept it to himself for a long long time. He takes a long long time to get to it, too, of course. The story drags a bit here and there, and there wasn't much suspense to it at all. There's always a feeling of doom, but I was never on the edge of my seat. The ending is a little shocking, especially the final truth that's revealed. So, even though it wasn't exciting. Even though it didn't have me biting my nails and frantically turning pages. I have to say, that reaching the shocking ending is worth the effort it takes to get there.

Olive Kitteridge
Olive Kitteridge
by Elizabeth Strout
Price: $11.48
1186 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Goes Along, May 27, 2010
This review is from: Olive Kitteridge (Paperback)
Have you ever driven around at night, seen the lit up windows of houses you drive by, and wondered about the lives going on inside? Well, this book is like taking a glimpse into those lives. One constant in each story, is the formidable Olive Kitteridge. She is a no-nonsense kind of gal, with a nasty temper, big mouth, and very little patience. She has a big heart, though, and genuinely cares when a neighbour is in trouble or dealing with a terrible loss. Each chapter is a story, a glimpse, as I said, of everyday life. Only, the majority of them deal with the hard part of life. The heartache, loss, sickness, forbidden love, and infidelity. There are uplifting moments, too, though. It's not all dreary. It's interesting, engaging, and touching. I'm so glad that I read it.

The Dark Divine
The Dark Divine
by Bree Despain
Price: $13.45
103 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Werewolf Needs Grace, May 27, 2010
This review is from: The Dark Divine (Hardcover)
I could not put this book down! Such an intriguing story about a werewolf in need of saving. Daniel has returned to his hometown after a long absence, and after something bad happened between him and his best friend. Grace has loved Daniel since they were kids, and that love flares up again when he suddenly shows back up in school. He's changed, though, and there are so many secrets surrounding him. She can't help being drawn to him, even though her brother, Jude, makes her promise to stay away from him. Promises are made to be broken, however, and Grace's love won't just go away because commen sense tells it to. Such a wonderful, edge-of-your-seat story, and I hope there will be much more to come.

A Reliable Wife
A Reliable Wife
by Robert Goolrick
210 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Brood Along With Me, May 27, 2010
This review is from: A Reliable Wife (Hardcover)
"It was bitter cold, the air electric with all that had not happened yet." Read that sentence, and tell me you're not intrigued. I certainly was. This book was intense, disturbing, erotic, tragic, and even a little romantic in some ways. Catherine Land has a plan, but she has no idea how much her life will change once she's married to Ralph Truitt. He has his own agenda in regards to his new wife, who has lied to him from the very beginning. Of course, he doesn't realize how much this woman will come to mean to him by the end. In the midst of all of that turmoil, there is a dark and depressing look at the tragic life in a cold Wisconsin countryside in the early 1900's. I couldn't turn away no matter how disturbing the words got, certain descriptions that made me cringe. They were hypnotic, engrossing, beautiful, ugly. I had goosebumps by the end, and not the fearful kind. More like the kind you'd get when something tremendous has touched you, and has made you feel so lucky to be where you are, instead of where you could've ended up.

To Have and Have Not (Scribner Classics)
To Have and Have Not (Scribner Classics)
by Ernest Hemingway
Price: $20.09
68 used & new from $6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars That's Life, May 27, 2010
The first thing I thought upon finishing this novel was, wow, I'm glad that's over. What a gritty and dismal story! Poor Harry Morgan and his bad choices. He gets gypped by a rich wannabe fisherman, and is suddenly in need of some cash. What does he do? He gets himself an illegal job, takes advantage of the situation, shocks the heck out of me, and it's all down hill from there. The N word was used quite a bit here, too, which was another shocking point. I suppose that has something to do with the era this book was written in, but shocked me nonetheless. I'm thinking maybe Mr. Hemingway was a crude and unsavory man. Could just be his writing, I don't know. I don't remember watching the movie based on this book, but I believe that it is quite different. So, if you like gritty, hardcore, manly books, you may like this one. It is interesting enough until the last few chapters, which is why I gave it a 3 instead of a 2. The description mentions something about a love affair. Not sure where that was supposed to have taken place. I just remember lots of violence and trash talking.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2010 8:56 AM PDT

Finnikin of the Rock (The Lumatere Chronicles)
Finnikin of the Rock (The Lumatere Chronicles)
by Melina Marchetta
37 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy Worth Repeating, May 27, 2010
Apparently, this was Marchetta's first Fantasy novel, and let me just tell you, it was spot on. I was completely enthtralled from beginning to end. In fact, I hated for it to end at all. I wanted to keep on reading about Finnikin and Evangelin. Oh how they moved me with their sweet romance. Oh how I worried when one of them came so close to death. There's adventure, magic, intrigue, humor, romance, and yes, even a little darkness to keep the reader on edge. There may have been predictable outcomes here and there, but it didn't matter. I was enjoying this oh so juicy morsel, and would definitely devour it again and again.

Castle: Season 1
Castle: Season 1
DVD ~ Nathan Fillion
Offered by Anchor*Media
Price: $19.49
28 used & new from $8.42

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, May 3, 2009
This review is from: Castle: Season 1 (DVD)
Nathan Fillion is one of my favorite actors, and this show is definitely going down as one of the best tv shows I've ever enjoyed. I love the interaction between all of the characters, and the mysteries are quite unique. It's funny, sexy, interesting, and so entertaining. I'm really hoping it sticks around for a long while.

Page: 1 | 2