Profile for M. Bast > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Bast "mbastcinci" RSS Feed (USA)

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eight Season (DVD)
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eight Season (DVD)
DVD
Price: $34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that the cast/relationship changes are bad, I like that they seem to be developing, March 18, 2015
I have been watching this since season 3, and have bought most of the DVD sets. That said I'm losing interest. Not that the cast/relationship changes are bad, I like that they seem to be developing. I especially like the odd friendship between Penny and Sheldon. I more and more see that the characters are still being used to laugh AT for their nerdiness, and not WITH them. And Sheldon's treatment of others is too often mean-spirited, rather than just clueless.
I will continue to watch for now, but with less enthusiasm and less caring when I miss an episode.

Death to Smoochy
Death to Smoochy
DVD
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great., September 7, 2014
This may be the funniest movie I've ever seen. I bought it, again, after Robin Williams's death, and I really just can't say enough about it. Twisted, bizarre, dark humor. Simply great.

Elementary, Season 2
Elementary, Season 2
Price: $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, May 5, 2014
This season really shows what the show can be. It has had so much character development for both Holmes and Watson, showing their depth (hints that Sherlock might still be in love with Moriarty, that Joan still carries guilt but lives her life after her mistake) and their intelligence. I dearly love this show.

Redshirts: Chapters 1-4
Redshirts: Chapters 1-4
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, July 24, 2012
I have read Scalzi's work before. I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was "great". This, though, is everything the hype said it would be. I read this, and then read the entire hardcover. It is a really interesting story, both on the "meta" level and on the personal. Over the years I've read Brian Wood's DMZ (about people caught up in a Civil War and how they live within it) and Cloverfield (the other, more human, side of monster stories I'd loved as a kid) and this one is in that "genre". It's about real people (sort of) who live through our stories. Plays off Heinlein's "World as Myth" ideas to give people a really well done story about living beings taking the beatings our entertainment gives them. I'll definitely be reading more of his work.

Crooked Little Vein: A Novel
Crooked Little Vein: A Novel
by Warren Ellis
84 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars How much worse could things be???, August 17, 2007
This was a disturbing mess of a book. And, I mean that in a good way. It was disturbing because in today's America, I'd be willing to bet money none of this is made up. And, I'd be willing to bet people out there DO want a magic book to "fix" it all. And, it's a mess in the sense of taking ALL the crap in America, smashing it together and showing it to us. We ARE a weird bunch. And, it's really a point of interest that Ellis has the characters argue over who is "really" representative of America, the oddballs or the "other oddballs". In an age of polarization, and red-blue divisions, I think it's right on to remind us that we're ALL America.
This is a really funny, odd and interesting book. I am a fan of Ellis's work, and this is very distinctly his. If you hate his work already, you'd not gonna like it (but then, why would you read it), otherwise read it and see what fun there is in all this depravity.
Well-written, horribly funny, and overall really well done. The ONLY complaint I've got is that it's over too fast. But, that just means I have to read more of his work.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2007 8:03 AM PDT

DC Universe: Helltown
DC Universe: Helltown
by Dennis O'Neil
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
25 used & new from $2.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for a long time, but..., November 6, 2006
I was a huge fan of O'Neil's 1980s Question series, and when I read he was going to do a novel a few years ago I was really excited. I expected to see some questions answered, and see a more "pure" version of what he wanted to do.

This, however, isn't quite what happened. The novel is good, and the action flows, so in that it's a decent adventure novel. However, as a novel, O'Neil had so much more room to do things with the characters, and he just didn't. He made changes, and the introducing page tells us this is a "correction" of the comic series, so I assume it IS more of his own story, but it's not as well done as the comics.

There's no more depth that any other comic novel I've seen, and this is a story that needs it. Sage has no childhood, doesn't know who he is, and his NEED for answers is what drives the comic series. That's almost absent here. His character is far more shallow here, and far less interesting. Watching him work out his life just doesn't carry anything powerful, as it did before.

It isn't just in comparison that this novel suffers, it's as a novel and piece of fiction. One of the complaints I have is that you don't find out anything about Sage's search for his roots. I know a lot of people enjoy fiction with no resolution, but I'm not one of them. Many people will tell you that's how life is, but if I want real life, I'll read non-fiction. What I want is quality fiction, and this suffers for it. It seems O'Neil thought making Sage an orphan was a good plot point, and used it to drive the character, but it becomes nothing more than convenient, and doesn't really give you a sense of the character here.

There won't be a follow-up novel, I think that's obvious, so I think that the mysteries should have been resolved here, and not doing so takes away from the book.

Overall, this is worth reading, but it does have flaws. Not the least of which is bad editing here and there (one character's name changes twice in the space of two pages, and is spelled differently both times) and there is a distinct lack of fleshing out who the people all are.

Transmetropolitan Vol 01: Back on the Street
Transmetropolitan Vol 01: Back on the Street
by Darick Robertson
72 used & new from $0.48

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of something wonderful, April 30, 2004
As a voracious reader, and a journalism student, I've come across lots of stories about reporters (from Complicity by Iain Banks to Superman and Ditko's Mr. A and the Question), but I've never seen something like this.
A lot of people think Spider IS Hunter S. Thompson, but they're wrong. He's definitely in there, but there's so much more. Ellis combines political satire, political science fiction, transhumanism, and sick humor to create something unique in the world of comics.
He stacks the book with interesting characters, draws you through a fascinating world, and makes you care about all of it.
It all starts here. A bit prescient, too.

Change or Die (StormWatch, Vol. 3)
Change or Die (StormWatch, Vol. 3)
by Warren Ellis
68 used & new from $2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars How Superhero comics ought to be, April 30, 2004
I think this comic cemented Warren Ellis as one of my favorite writers. He takes the idea of superheroes as they had been for so long (Stormwatch) and played them off superheroes as they were conceived (The High's group). Each group thinks its ideas are right. Stormwatch is only interested in the status quo, and maybe some beneficial changes slowly introduced over time. The High's group sees the world as in need of fast, massive improvement, and they set out to do it.
The only reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is that the 2nd part simply doesn't flow from the first. Still an interesting read, but more padding than anything else.