Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for D. Solberg > Reviews

Browse

D. Solberg's Profile

Customer Reviews: 75

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Solberg RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Hanes Men's 5-Pack Inside Exposed Waistband Woven Boxers, Fashion Plaid/Print, Small
Price: $18.21
13 used & new from $15.09

3.0 out of 5 stars they might be comfortable, but for me (6-1 and 157 lbs) they ..., July 23, 2016
They are decent quality, but they are about twice as big in the back than I need, which makes them a big uncomfortable. If you happen to have a bigger rear end, they might be comfortable, but for me (6-1 and 157 lbs) they feel like I'm swimming in them even though the waist is about the right tightness.

Yakima JayLow Folding J-Cradle Rooftop Kayak Rack with Tie-Downs
Yakima JayLow Folding J-Cradle Rooftop Kayak Rack with Tie-Downs
Price: $163.86
69 used & new from $139.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Whistling Wonder, July 23, 2016
These racks are strong and easy to put on our Honda CRV 2014 factory crossbars. They hold the kayak very securely and I think they are probably about as fast to put on as possible. Note that if you want locks, you buy them separately.

The only drawback is that the kayak racks whistle when you put them down unloaded. It's not super loud, but it is enough to hear above the radio. Oddly, they are much quieter when loaded with a kayak, so it's not a big deal if you don't plan on leaving them on the car.

Duo-Lock Reversible Felt and Rubber Non-Slip Rug Pad, Size: 5' x 8' Rug Pad
Duo-Lock Reversible Felt and Rubber Non-Slip Rug Pad, Size: 5' x 8' Rug Pad
Price: $43.52
5 used & new from $43.52

5.0 out of 5 stars but I can say it has excellent grip, both on the floor and on the ..., March 4, 2016
I just bought this, so I can't speak for long-term durability, but I can say it has excellent grip, both on the floor and on the carpet side. It's also very dense and really provides a premium cushion to our rug -- very firm but also cushioning. It also doesn't smell at all, so you don't get all those outgassing fumes.

It's the same price as the regular pad at Room and Board, but I think I actually got better quality.

Withings WS-50_02 Ws-50 Smart Body Analyzer, White
Withings WS-50_02 Ws-50 Smart Body Analyzer, White
Price: $149.95
4 used & new from $138.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Often right, sometimes wrong, January 8, 2016
The issue I have with the scale is that it sometimes just changes how much it thinks things weigh.

For example, I weigh about 163 pounds. This morning, the scale decided that I weight 14.3 pounds, then 14.4, then 14.2, then back up to 163.1. Yesterday, it decided that I weighed 168.2 pounds, then two hours later, 163.3 (No, nothing except air came out of me in that time).

Update: A week later I weighed 85 pounds according to the scale. Every other day this week it had been accurate.

The iOS software actually works great. I like that it shows me a trend line of my weight. The issue that the trend line bounces around because of the occasional random weight.

I don't feel like I can trust it. I think it's usually very accurate, but then it can be off either a little or a lot sometimes.

TiVo Mini with IR/RF Remote - With No Monthly Service Fees - Extends Your TiVo DVR
Price: $129.00
16 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing about this device is that if you already ..., December 27, 2015
The best thing about this device is that if you already have a Roamio (or the new TiVO), there is no additional monthly fee to add this one. We connected with an ethernet cord, and it's like we have a whole new cable box for this TV. It gets all the channels, and it have an easy way to get Netflix and Amazon videos. I really couldn't be happier with this TiVo mini.

NOW Foods Essential Oils Peppermint -- 4 fl oz (118 ml)
NOW Foods Essential Oils Peppermint -- 4 fl oz (118 ml)
Offered by Nature and Herbs
Price: $14.50
19 used & new from $12.24

3.0 out of 5 stars it might just be like olive oil -- the first pressing is fragrant, November 5, 2015
This is decent peppermint oil for the price. I've noticed that it does not smell as pure as more expensive oils, and it has just a hint of chemical odor, too (I have a very sensitive nose; my wife can't smell any chemical odor). It also doesn't have as strong a scent as more expensive oils. Who knows why; it might just be like olive oil -- the first pressing is fragrant, but later pressings have less taste and require chemical extract all the oil. Again, I don't know this; it's just an idea.

I would use this oil for those cases where you want a lot of oil -- for example as a way to keep mice and spiders away from a large area. If you just want a really nice scent, I'd probably spring for the Plant Therapy Essential Oils.

Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with Century Trim in Satin Nickel (BE479 CEN 619)
Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with Century Trim in Satin Nickel (BE479 CEN 619)
Offered by Deals Abound
Price: $209.99
6 used & new from $167.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for iPhone owners with an AppleTV, November 5, 2015
The lock is very well designed. There are a lot of very nice touches, both for the lock operation and the installation procedure.

Installing it took me about 5-10 minutes, and was very simple. I followed the video that comes on the iPhone app -- it was very helpful. The most important thing is NOT to try to move the lock until the lock has set itself up at the end of the installation. It doesn't turn easily until it's set up, and you shouldn't turn it at all.

The pairing process with the iPhone app is seamless and fast, and after that the app can control pretty much anything you want the lock to do.

Here's some really things about the lock (all of which are set in the iPhone app):
• It can sound an alarm if someone is trying to kick the down down (you need to turn on this feature, however). Normal bumping (even hard) against the door doesn't do anything in my experience. It takes a lot of force to make it alarm.
• You can set the lock to automatically lock after a time period of your choosing. That means that the door just always will stay locked (you need to close the door, of course).
• You can set the code length you want. If 4 digits isn't secure, you can choose any length of code you want -- from four to eight digits (eight digits is 100 million combinations). I love this feature because it makes the lock very secure. All codes need to be the same length.
• You can turn on or off a quick lock feature that allows you to just press the Schlage logo on the outside to lock the door without entering a code. Unlocking always requires a code, of course.
• You can view a log of every lock action so you can see when the lock was opened and closed (and by who if they used a code).
• You can add or delete codes for anyone you want quickly and easily, and those codes can be set for specific days and times. For example, if someone comes to walk your dog between 12 and 3 on weekdays, you can set the code to work only to work during the time they will walk the dog. That way they don't have access at night, for example.

The primary downside of this device is that it requires Apple devices to work well. That means that Android users aren't going to get anywhere near the features as iOS users. And it requires a recent AppleTV to work remotely, and as of now, Apple's implementation is flaky for remote operation. The nice thing is that you should be able to unlock your door just by asking Siri, but in my experience, that's flaky, too. It worked for a while, then stopped. Luckily, the app works really well when you're close to the locks (within about 20-30 feet).

Another issue is that if you want to invite other users to use the iOS app, they need to have an iCloud account enabled on their iPhone with the correct settings for passwords enabled. This is a little finicky if you don't know the procedure. I'm a technical person, and it only took about 5 minutes to figure it out.

In short, this is an amazing lock with a great iOS app. However, if you want to unlock the door remotely, you rely on Apple and the AppleTV, which are both flaky. This could change in the future, but right now don't plan on a good remote experience.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2016 6:47 PM PDT

AcuRite 00325 Home Comfort Monitor, Black
AcuRite 00325 Home Comfort Monitor, Black
Price: $8.66
37 used & new from $2.20

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very accurate, October 31, 2015
This thermometer uses Celsius internally, then converts to Fahrenheit. It shows 68 or 70 or 72 or 73, but never 69 or 71. In other words, it seems to jump by 2 degrees most of the time, which means sense if you know the conversations (20 C = 68 F, 21 C = 69.8 F, 22 C = 71.6 F, and 23 C = 73.4 F).

I'm giving this two stars because I think this thermometer should show all Fahrenheit temperatures.

Nest Protect smoke & carbon monoxide alarm, Battery (2nd gen)
Nest Protect smoke & carbon monoxide alarm, Battery (2nd gen)
Price: $99.00
15 used & new from $79.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It's easy to tell the guy in charge once worked at ..., August 8, 2015
It's easy to tell the guy in charge once worked at Apple. Just like the Apple of old, these things are just really fun and pleasant to use.

Here's what I love:

1. The batteries won't fail in middle of the night. The protect will notify your smartphone well before your batteries fail, so you'll have plenty of time to replace them.

About every six months the batteries in one of our old detectors would fail (for some reason this always happened in middle of the night). Then they would chirp once every three minutes. So it would wake up my wife and then me, but I could never immediately tell which smoke detector was beeping because the chirp was so infrequent. Usually, I'd spend about 20 minutes trying to find the problem detector. Unfortunately, the dog would always get nervous and start shaking, and the whole ordeal made it much harder to fall asleep again.

2. It knows whether there is steam or just smoke. That means the detector in the hall by the bathroom doesn't have false alarms.

3. It warns you using a voice before sounding the super loud alarm, and you can silence it either with your smartphone or by pushing the button on the detector.

Our old smoke detectors were interconnected, too, but that was more a pain than a pleasure. The detector near the kitchen would go off, which in turn would set off all the other alarms in the house. Again, the dog would freak out, and I'd have to run upstairs and press the button.

4. This detector actually has two type of detectors in it to get both the smoky fires and the fast burning ones that don't produce as much smoke. That makes me feel more safe.

5. This detector also finds carbon monoxide, which is important if you have a gas oven, furnace, or otherwise burn wood in your house. When it detects carbon monoxide, it will also shut off your gas furnace, which might be the device causing the problem. (Note that this detects carbon monoxide NOT natural gas, so a gas leak will not be detected by this or any other carbon monoxide detector.)

6. It automatically checks itself so you always know they're working.

7. If this is a fire, the detectors will tell you where it is in the house, which in middle of the night with children could be a huge life saver (literally).

8. It's a very good smoke detector, but it also integrates with the Nest thermostat, so if anyone's in a given room, the Nest will report that to the thermostat along with the room's temperate and humidity so that Nest can make sure that room's at the right comfort level.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2015 10:39 AM PDT

Amazon Echo
Amazon Echo
Price: $179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing idea, and it works equally well, June 24, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Echo (Electronics)
This is an amazing idea, and it works equally well. Even if you just use it as an audio player in conjunction with Amazon Prime, it's great: no commercials, and a good variety of music. And it does a very, very good job at understanding me. I feel like voice recognition technology has improved dramatically in the last two years, and this implementation is probably the best I've used. My grandma has one (she's 90), and she recently moved. One of her prime considerations was whether Alexa would work at her new place.

This is a really nice idea, and I recommend it to just about everything one has Amazon Prime and a broadband internet connection.

One a side note, I wish Apple and Google had something like this that would integrate with calendars, to do lists, and texts. It would be so nice if I could ask Alexa when my next appointment will be, or if I could tell Alexa to make an appointment for me, and it would be integrated into my calendars automatically. I'm an Apple person, and if Apple made a similar product, I'd buy it in a second. However, this seems like it would be absolutely perfect to go with Google Now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8