Profile for Charles > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 105

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Charles "Snakebit" RSS Feed (Texas, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013
McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013
Offered by CXZ
Price: $11.99
11 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013, May 22, 2014
The IT security folks at work like McAfee over Norton. I have both. Norton seems to tax system resources more in general while McAfee is determined to run a system hogging scan at least once a week usually when you need the machine for an important meeting. This stuff is a necessary evil so I have a hard time saying I like it. Nevertheless, McAfee seems "lighter" but still robust. That's good enough for me.

Quicken Deluxe 2014 [OLD VERSION]
Quicken Deluxe 2014 [OLD VERSION]

4.0 out of 5 stars Quicken Deluxe 2014 [Download], May 22, 2014
Lots of folks have horror stories, I have none. This installed easily and imported my rather large Q11 file in no time. No errors and no problems. Only 4 stars because...well...I don't like feeling trapped and that is what I feel with Intuit. You have to update every three years to maintain the ability to auto-download. No new features of any consequence, just buying it to keep it operational. Pretty soon they will be dropping the lifespan to single year and then I really will be mad.

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7TE250BW)
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7TE250BW)
Offered by Ibex Technology
Price: Click here to see our price
102 used & new from $119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit..., May 22, 2014
Went for a clean install since the included "cloning software" never worked. Startup is stunningly fast, down from as much as 5 minutes to about 30-45 secs on a gen 1 i-7 Dell XPS. Doesn't seem to like being "hibernated" startup is not reliable from that state. But it's really no matter since you can start from scratch so quickly. Recovery from "sleep" is nearly instantaneous. I was considering a new computer but this hard drive was all that was needed to make the 4 year old XPS feel like new. Not really seeing a whole lot of added battery life but then I didn't really have a baseline in the first place. That i-7 burns up the extra capacity battery pretty well on its own, so I wasn't expecting the SSD to make a noticeable difference.

EHEIM Classic 250 External Canister Filter
EHEIM Classic 250 External Canister Filter
Price: $81.26
40 used & new from $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars EHEIM Classic 250 External Canister Filter 2213, January 17, 2014
This device was reported by other users as a robust quiet filtration solution. I can report that it is indeed VERY quiet however, this was only evidenced for a short time as the curved input nipple shown in the product picture at the lower right was faulty right out of the box. Before you ask did I stress it during the two hour installation I say "NO I did not" I wetted the hose to slide it on and twisted by hand the jam nut to seal the connection. The thing is guaranteed for two years if the input nipple is so delicate that it cannot stand up to normal installation then the unit will never last two years in use.

Installation was a bit difficult not not overly so just follow the pictures. I have been using a Marineland Magnums for 20 years but am disappointed in the noise they produce especially if any carbon drops into the magnet/impeller housing (since it is on the bottom it is likely to do so) so I liked the idea of the Eheim impeller being at the top of the unit where gravity will help keep it clear.

I returned the unit immediately and my refund was applied as soon as the return package got into the system. I believe I will order another unit in hopes the the first unit's failure was a glitch. I will update this review with results.

UPDATE: A new filter came and was installed, the problem with the first unit was resolved. The filter is VERY VERY quiet. I can't tell it running unless I fell the head. I have upgraded the review to 4 stars as a result.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 4:02 PM PST

SCM SCR331 USB Common Access CAC Smart Card Reader, CCID Compatible for Windows 7 Vista XP Mac and Linux Computers
Offered by RMN Online Sales
Price: $19.99
7 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars not so good for a laptop, December 26, 2013
too much unstowable cable which is long even for use with a full tower case. Works properly and is very inexpensive. Windows 7 recognizes it without issue.

SGT121 CAC Smart Card, Multi-Memory, SDXC, SIM Reader with 3-Port USB Hub
SGT121 CAC Smart Card, Multi-Memory, SDXC, SIM Reader with 3-Port USB Hub
Offered by Super Deal
Price: $25.98
3 used & new from $25.98

5.0 out of 5 stars SCT 121 smart card reader, December 26, 2013
does its job just fine and stores in a very compact package for carrying in your already overstuff laptop case, excellent!!

Pilot Precise V7 RT Retractable Rolling Ball Pens, Fine Point, Black Ink, Dozen Box (26067)
Price: $23.99
7 used & new from $21.44

5.0 out of 5 stars it's a pen..., December 26, 2013
but I love how these things write, nice dark line that does not smear if given just a few seconds to dry. great price too

Skyfall [HD]
Skyfall [HD]
DVD
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Skyfall, December 26, 2013
Not my favorite Bond movie, Javier Bardem once again shows that he is a great actor but its not enough to justify the weak story. [spoiler] With Bond we expect preposterous convoluted schemes bent on word domination, not simple revenge with world domination only a means to an end. Some good chase scenes, exotic women (a few) but not much else to recommend it. Daniel Craig is attractive and certainly in great shape so the ladies have something to look at. I might have been convinced give it four stars if there had been a few more wiz-bang geeky weapons but even those are in short supply. Always good to see a new Bond, hopefully the next one will be a bit more tantalizing.

The Fountain [HD]
The Fountain [HD]
DVD
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The Fountain, October 9, 2013
A visually lovely movie, albeit a bit dark. The story was not hard to follow in my opinion, the metaphysical questions proposed are left to your own interpretation (but then aren't they all). Did I like it?? meh...Rachel and Hugh are really the only characters and are both imminently watchable, Ellen is wasted in a role that flits on and off screen with little impact. Certainly, watching it for free on Prime made it a worthwhile diversion but I would be loath to pay actually $$ for the pleasure.

Sof Sole Men's Airr Lightweight Insole Shoe, Size 11-12.5
Sof Sole Men's Airr Lightweight Insole Shoe, Size 11-12.5
Price: $16.50
16 used & new from $13.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Sof Sole Men's Airr Lightweight Insole Shoe, Size 11-12.5, October 8, 2013
these were put into New Balance 993, they beat the daylights out of the stock insoles, makes a whole day of work seem like myfeet were used only a few hours.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11