Profile for Peer Reviews > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peer Reviews RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The World of Mathematics, Vol. 1 (Dover Books on Mathematics)
The World of Mathematics, Vol. 1 (Dover Books on Mathematics)
by Mathematics
Price: $14.72
46 used & new from $2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful compilation of inspiring and historically interesting mathematical essays., March 8, 2014
I first read this in the seventh and eighth grades, so it's a real hoot revisiting these great articles so many years later. Terrific stuff for all ages, though perhaps not an easy read for all eighth graders. The growth of mathematics as reflected in its methodologies and practices illuminates similar changes in the societies that nurtured these changes. But mainly I just love the math.

Rolodex Distinctions Self-Stacking Desk Tray (23565)
Rolodex Distinctions Self-Stacking Desk Tray (23565)
Price: $19.35
29 used & new from $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and functional., March 8, 2014
I bought 4 for use at home, and they are not only great organizational helpers, they look good too. No problem stacking them.

Men of Mathematics (Touchstone Book)
Men of Mathematics (Touchstone Book)
by Eric Temple Bell
Price: $12.56
110 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars A real classic. Inspirational., March 8, 2014
This is one of the several amazing books I read in junior high school that launched my great love and enjoyment of mathematics. And yes, a love of science, too. The stories are well told, and I trust that for anyone who enjoys great adventures of the mind these bits of intellectual history will prove exciting.

La Crosse Technology 302-604B Black Indoor Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer Station with MIN/MAX records & Comfort level icon
Price: $20.50
12 used & new from $14.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Erratic display after 2 weeks (kept switching view to temperature in large font), then died in 60 days., March 8, 2014
Erratic performance after 2 weeks (kept switching display to temperature in large font), then died completely in 60 days. I purchased new batteries, but that fixed nothing. La Crosse carefully chose to omit contact information in their warranty description, and one suspects they minimize their liability by insisting the faulty item be sent to some La Crosse facility at the buyer's expense. In short, given the cost of this item, there is nothing to do but write it off as a bad purchase. Maybe I have just been lucky before, since this is the first time I have purchased such a complete dud through Amazon. I noticed a few other one-star reviewers had similar duds from La Crosse, but with only one purchase I cannot guess how common this problem may be. I suspect several of the 5 star reviews were written soon after purchase, only to have some of those devices go bad as well (I don't think Amazon allows for us to change the number of stars we give in a review, although we can edit our reviews at any time). So I wish better luck to any of you who take a chance on La Crosse!

Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier
Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier
Offered by Portlight
Price: $42.01
8 used & new from $42.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning. Auto shut-off failure. Resulting bad smells and shortened lifetime for the humidifier., January 28, 2014
This review is based on the earlier version of this humidifier. This later version is basically the same, having one new feature but the same mechanics.

I do plan to use this humidifier till it burns out altogether, which I suspect will be shortly. Auto shut-off fails entirely, even though the signal light does go from green to amber when the water is gone. The resulting serious problem is that, once the unit has no more water to heat, the heating unit dries and burns scale onto the heating element. You will know this is happening from the unpleasant metallic burning odor it creates. All my attempts to clean the heating unit have proved useless. While the heating unit is building more and more hard, irremovable scale crust over the heating element, there is less and less heating surface left to heat the water, and that means the unit works ever more poorly. It also means the unit is frying itself more and more quickly. That burning smell is very noticeable and possibly unhealthy (although I hope not, since I am determined to get at least one month's use out of it while I look for a safer and more effective humidifier). Good luck in your own search for a good warm-mist humidifier!

Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier with Auto Shut-Off
Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier with Auto Shut-Off
Price: $43.35
32 used & new from $42.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Auto shut-off fails. Cleaning impossible., January 28, 2014
I give 2 stars instead of one only because I plan to use this humidifier till it burns out altogether, which I suspect will be shortly. Auto shut-off fails entirely, even though the signal light does go from green to amber when the water is gone. The resulting serious problem is that, once the unit has no more water to heat, the heating unit dries and burns scale onto the heating element. You will know this is happening from the unpleasant metallic burning odor it creates. All my attempts to clean the heating unit have proved useless. While the heating unit is building more and more hard, irremovable scale crust over the heating element, there is less and less heating surface left to heat the water, and that means the unit works ever more poorly. It also means the unit is frying itself more and more quickly. That burning smell is very noticeable and possibly unhealthy (although I hope not, since I am determined to get at least one month's use out of it while I look for a safer and more effective humidifier). Good luck in your own search for a good warm-mist humidifier!

Pyrex No Leak Lids 4 Cup Round Baking Dish with Plastic Lid, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE. This is a friendly heads-up to other Amazon customers., November 29, 2013
Amazon has several other deals for the exact same item at MUCH lower cost. If this were for 6 or more 4-cup dishes the price would be barely okay, but for only one dish this is an awful price. The link below is only one of several Amazon offerings which include the exact same dish at a far far better price. Also, many other deals offer free shipping for Amazon Prime: Leak Lids 12 Pc Storage Set You will notice this deal is 20 dollars cheaper and includes TWO of these dishes as well as TWO MORE smaller dishes and ONE MORE larger dish.
Happy shopping.

How to Steal a Million
How to Steal a Million
DVD ~ Audrey Hepburn
Offered by Definitive Discs & Collectibles
Price: $45.95
23 used & new from $15.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Counting the stars, November 29, 2013
This review is from: How to Steal a Million (DVD)
It's a well-written and funny show, so I suppose I must give it at least one star, but no more, because, after all, stars don't grow on trees. However there is Peter O'Toole, a fact I cannot avoid, so I guess I have to give it a second star. Wait just a moment, I also remember there is what I am forced to admit is a fantastic supporting cast, so that has got to get it one more star. And that makes three. Oh yeah, okay, Audrey Hepburn is at her remarkable best so that's got to be at least two more. That's already five stars, and I'm not allowed to give more than five stars, so I have to stop now. I can't give another star for this being one of the rare movies I watch again and again. No more stars allowed for good production values. I always laugh a bit while I watch it, but mainly I just smile through the whole thing so terribly much that my smile muscles hurt, but I don't mind so much my smile muscles hurting because this movie really does make me feel good. Honestly, I really don't mind smiling so hard. I actually like smiling, laughing, feeling good. No kidding. I'm being straight up and honest. Really. I'd even give it another star if I could, but I'm not allowed.

Coccyx Gel Cushion (3.5" x 16" x 18")
Coccyx Gel Cushion (3.5" x 16" x 18")
Offered by As Seen on TV Products
Price: $42.99
2 used & new from $42.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Suddenly sitting down is a whole lot nicer., November 29, 2013
Both the construction and the quality of materials used are excellent. It appears durable, it does not collapse with use and, for me at least, it works great.

The Mel Brooks Collection [Blu-ray]
The Mel Brooks Collection [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Mel Brooks Collection
Offered by Red star
Price: $37.99
80 used & new from $23.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Mel Brooks films make me laugh. make me feel good, make me want to tell him "thank you.", November 29, 2013
This is Mel Brooks, and it's on Blu-ray. In the History of the World, he is the king of funny, and it's good to be the king.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3