Profile for Kelly McCants > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 66

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kelly McCants RSS Feed (Frisco, TX)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Mead Organizher To-Do Magnetic Notepad, 4 x 9 Inches, 75 Sheets Per Pad (57123)
Mead Organizher To-Do Magnetic Notepad, 4 x 9 Inches, 75 Sheets Per Pad (57123)
Price: $7.65
2 used & new from $7.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy and Consolodating, December 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a handy pad to hang on your refrigerator for jotting down grocery items or errands that pop in your head throughout the day. The magnet is strong, so it doesn't fall off or slowly float downward. There are 75 sheets, perforated both at the top and up the center so that there is actually 2 separate lists on each sheet and can each be torn off independently of the other. The perforations are perfect; in some products they are too tight and it is difficult to tear along the perforations without tearing the page unintentionally. Not so with this pad - they tear really easily.

Yes, the spaces are tight, but I wouldn't use this as an all-encompassing and running "to-do" list. It is perfect for hanging in a common area, like on the refrigerator, for things that come to mind, and to be the common location for several people in the same household to log grocery needs or errands. In my house that is exactly how we have been using it: as family members notice a grocery need they write it on the "to buy" side and I, being the shopper in the house, snag that side of the sheet off and carry it with me to the store. Or, similarly, any errands or returns that need to be remembered gets logged on the "to do" side, and as someone is available to run errands that list gets snatched down and taken on the way.

This has been a helpful tool for our family.

Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great
by Demi
Price: $11.99
70 used & new from $7.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Know Alexander's Deeds, Not Alexander the Person, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Alexander the Great (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After reading this book, I came away with a knowledge of many things that Alexander the Great did in his lifetime, but I felt I was hardly acquainted with who Alexander the Great was at all. For the most part, the story telling in this book is quite cold, the writing is quite choppy, and the content is shallow. In contrast to the rest of the book, there actually was a two-page spread about Alexander visiting the philosopher Diogenes in which we did get a quick glimmer into Alexander the person, when the author draws us into a narrative between Alexander and Diogenes and intrigues us with the thought that Alexander could conquer lands but not himself. It was almost as if a different person had written that excerpt, so stark is the contrast with it and the rest of the book. I would have loved the author to elaborate on this a little, as well as touch on other influences into Alexander's life that shaped him into the person he was. I wish the story would have been a bit more "living".

As much as I didn't care for the writing style, the story was very thorough. After reading the book one definitely knows the extent of which Alexander was a conqueror. The gold ink in the illustrations add interest to the art, but personally the art did not help to draw me into the story.

I read the book to my children, and they liked hearing about the many battles that this leader won on his conquests. They said they did not enjoy this story as much as other biographies we have read, specifically those by Diane Stanley and the d'Aulaires.

Madesmart Twin Turntable, 10-Inch Diameter Each
Madesmart Twin Turntable, 10-Inch Diameter Each
Price: $14.99
12 used & new from $8.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy a better quality one, January 6, 2013
Love the turntable concept and the way it helps to maximize pantry space. This particular one is not great. One of the legs broke when trying to assemble this. It doesn't turn very smoothly. The adhesive that comes on it to hold the two turntables together is very difficult to remove. I spent quite a bit of time scrubbing it down with Goo Gone to get it clean before I could even use it. I would recommend a different brand.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2013 3:43 PM PDT

Our Island Story (Phoenix Press)
Our Island Story (Phoenix Press)
by H. E. Marshall
32 used & new from $1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging story of British History - Recommended edition, November 27, 2012
What a delightful and engaging story of the history of Britain! Perfect for elementary aged children and even older. My children beg to have this book read to them. Marshall definitely makes the key characters in British history come alive with her tales. The adults and children both have enjoyed this book in my house.

I was compelled to especially review this edition by Phoenix Press. This is the edition you want! Full color illustrations and very high quality. The pages are nice, thick and glossy. Even after our many readings in this book the binding is still very tight and no pages are bent. I've looked around at other editions, and this one is definitely my favorite.

Insights on John (Swindoll's New Testament Insights)
Insights on John (Swindoll's New Testament Insights)
by Charles R. Swindoll
Price: $20.21
31 used & new from $9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, understandable, insightful, personal, May 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you have ever had the privilege of hearing Chuck Swindoll speak, you quickly discovered how personable, down-to-earth and engaging he is. He writes EXACTLY as he speaks. As I read his works, I can hear him verbally telling them in my head. Swindoll's gift is bringing stories to life and helping the reader (or hearer) establish a rapport with the story, and this characteristic shines in his New Testament Insights series.

This commentary on John is written so that anyone truly interested in being a student of the book of John can follow and grow. It is not overly academic -- but it is not fluff and you will learn by going through it. The reader should be prepared for a study of the book of John, not just a read through the book of John.

The author divides the Biblical text by theological units of thought, not necessarily verse-by-verse. He provides an historical background and contextual setting, then delves into the author's intent of the passage, which in many cases does turn out to be verse-by-verse. After understanding what the author was intending to communicate, he then pulls the timeless truth from each passage and discusses how we can apply these truths to our lives today. And finally, there is my favorite part, the part that makes this commentary uniquely Swindoll's. He infuses his wisdom gained through his own life experiences to leave a truly lasting impression of the passage with the reader.

Swindoll is a wordsmith, and it makes for vivid and enjoyable reading. Excellent choice in Biblical commentaries.

Starbucks Natural Fusions Ground Coffee, Vanilla Flavored, 11-Ounce Packages (Pack of 2)
Offered by Eztrade123
Price: $23.97
13 used & new from $16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too far off the standard vanilla flavored coffee, May 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Lots of people don't care for the Starbucks roasts, but I happen to really enjoy them. This coffee has the standard Starbucks "taste" to it, so if you are one that does not care for the roasts in their stores, you probably would not enjoy this coffee, either.

What I did not care for in this coffee was the strong vanilla syrupy smell. The aroma alone was a little strong for my liking and left that syrupy smell in my house for most of the day after brewing. A little could have been nice, but it was overly sweet. Compared to the smell, the vanilla infusion did not have as overwhelming a flavor, but my palate would still have prefered more subtlety in flavoring . If you are sensitive to strong sweet smells, you might also find this unpleasant. I think the smell impeded my ability to enjoy the taste, and may contribute to my ho-hum impression of this product.

Reach Total Care floss with Listerine Fresh Flavors 30-Yard, (Pack of 6)
Reach Total Care floss with Listerine Fresh Flavors 30-Yard, (Pack of 6)
Offered by Closeout Connection
Price: $25.99
48 used & new from $25.06

3.0 out of 5 stars A Distant 2nd in My Choice of Flosses, February 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm picky with dental floss. I don't usually like waxed flosses because they don't seem to pick up as much stuff, and especially not as much as the non-waxed woven flosses.

I was pleasantly surprised with this floss that for a waxed floss it does pretty well. It definitely picks up way more than another popular flat ribbon brand. The fact that this floss is waxed allows it to glide pretty easily between teeth.

My all time favorite floss is by the same company, Reach Gentle Gum Care Woven Dental Floss, Fluoride, 50-Yard Dispensers (Pack of 6), and I would pick it any day over this product. But, this one is my second choice, hands down over everything else I've tried.

As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda
As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda
by Catherine Claire Larson
Price: $13.15
104 used & new from $3.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching Stories of Almost Unbelievable Forgiveness, November 29, 2010
This is a book that will stay with you long after reading it. It will change your perspective on forgiveness and probably redefine for you what forgiveness actually is and isn't. It will give you peace in knowing that nothing you will experience is beyond hope of forgiveness.

Prior to reading this book, I had only an impersonal and fact based understanding of the Rwandan genocide of 1994. This book allowed me to step into the lives of a few of the survivors and to hear their stories. The author gives such a vivid portrayal of her meetings with the survivors that I felt like I was sitting in on the interview, hearing and seeing everything that she was observing. These stories are amazing, not only of what these survivors endured and lived to tell about, but how they eventually came around to healing their emotional wounds through forgiveness. This level of forgiveness is something I would never be able to fathom when imagining myself in these survivors' shoes.

This book is a must read. It is a book that can't help but change your outlook on many emotions and circumstances in life in a positive way.

Paper Mate Medium Point Retractable Gel Pens, 8 Colored Ink Pens (1746323)
Paper Mate Medium Point Retractable Gel Pens, 8 Colored Ink Pens (1746323)
Price: $7.08
17 used & new from $6.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gel Pen Set, October 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Great selection of colors. These flow well for gel pens, however not as quickly as a nice ball point pen would. Comfortable grip. The pink is too bright for practical use; the green borders that level of brightness. The orange is an especially nice hue. The light blue is more sky blue, not at all teal. Tried a similar set in another brand: Pilot G2 Retractable Gel Ink Roller Ball Pen, Fine Point, Clear Barrel, 8 Assorted Ink Colors, 8 per Pack (31128) and preferred them only marginally to this set in flow and hue of colors. A young girl would especially love this set.

25 Essentials: Techniques for Grilling Fish
25 Essentials: Techniques for Grilling Fish
by Karen Adler
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $11.65
94 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressive - Buy a Weber's Instead, August 16, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are 25 fish grilling techniques in this book and one recipe for each corresponding technique. I would have loved to see more than one recipe per technique to really help develop and offer practice for the method, as well as to offer more variety of dishes and flavors.

Thirteen of the recipes and techniques are actually applicable to fish, the remaining twelve to shellfish. Many of the techniques call for equipment in addition to your grill, e.g. cast iron skillet, griddle, kabob basket. On a positive note, the pictures included are beautiful and very colorful. However, personally, I did not care for the recipes I tried. I recommend any of the Weber's grill books over this book any day. Not only do they do a better job in explaining technique and grill basics (even only considering the portions on seafood), but I preferred the recipes hands down in taste, flavor, simplicity and variety. You won't go wrong with the Weber's books, but my recommendation is to pass on this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7