Profile for John P. Jones III > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 703

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John P. Jones III RSS Feed (Albuquerque, NM, USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DesertWolf Vintage Canvas Messenger Bag - Leather Shoulder Bag - Traveling Briefcase - Fit 14" Laptop
Offered by EM Store
Price: $57.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The stylish “retro” look..., July 29, 2015
When I was offered this “messenger” bag for review I was going to say “No Thanks,” since I had recently acquired a similar bag for my own use. But then I thought of my son, who is poised to enter the corporate world, advanced degree in hand. Can’t keep carrying the laptop in the ubiquitous student backpack, now can we? Demonstrating that he is indeed “older and wiser,” he agreed with his dad, and most of the following thoughts are his own.

First of all, it is stylish, suitable for the world of, as it were, “suits.” And it is a quality product, made to last for years, if not until one becomes the CEO. The bottom corners are reinforced with leather patches. The stitching is of a thick thread, and tight. The over-the-shoulder strap clicks easily and solidly to the bag, and is an inch and a half wide, appropriate for the weight that is most likely to be carried. There are four different pockets that are enclosed by zippers; one is external, on the backside of the bag, the other three are internal. There are an additional two compartments not enclosed by a zipper. There is also smaller pockets attached to one side, designed to hold your pens or External “Flash” drives. Like all other aspects of the bag, the interior lining has a quality feel to it. In addition to the shoulder strap, there is a leather handle, which is solidly attached with three metal studs. As for the two leather buckle straps that close the entire bag, they work, and work well, but as my son says... in the “rush” of the corporate world, you probably wouldn’t want to be doing that every day. The bag’s designers agreed. The bag is securely closed with two magnetic fasteners which are carefully and cleverly disguised under the leather straps.

My son tested it with his 14 inch laptop, and it fits, as advertised. It also fits “snuggly,” to use his term, with the cover that he normally carries it with. And speaking of “retro,” there is certainly enough room for some old-fashioned paper, like the latest corporate report. Overall, an excellent, well-designed carrying bag. 5-stars.

La putain de la republique
La putain de la republique
by Deviers-Joncour Chri
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
17 used & new from $2.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Il etait une fois..., July 27, 2015
Once upon a time... there was a political scandal... with all the normal mixtures of intrigue, the egos of the powerful, money, definitely money, and, of course, the pleasures of the flesh. Christine Deviers-Joncour personified the latter, for sure, and was deeply involved in elements of the first three. I'm currently reading Gore Vidal's 1876: A Novel which, in part, focused on similar scandals in the administration of U.S. Grant. And thus this book came to mind, which I read almost two decades ago, when the "scandal" was daily fare in the French papers, and barely mentioned outside the borders of "the hexagon."

The title to the book is derived from what a judge called D-J in official proceedings. Not even soften... if that would be the right interpretation, by being called a "high-priced one." It didn't start out that way, of course, it never does. She was brought up, in Sarlat, Perigord, as "the dutiful daughter," to use the expression Simone de Beauvoir did for her own youth. Then D-J got involved "in the wrong crowd" that thought it was "right," via a couple of marriages to powerful men. The "scandal" irrupted when she had the "interesting" position of being the (very well-kept) mistress of Roland Dumas, the French Foreign Minister while her "mentor" was Alfred Sirven, the PDG (CEO) of Elf-Aquitaine. Meanwhile, there are some (considerable) "commissions" to be made in obtaining the permission to sell six frigates to Taiwan. She has the "access" that a comfortable bed can provide...

And it all blows up... in a most unfortunate way, for D-J. The whistle gets blown, Dumas abandons her to her fate, as she is thrown into jail, in a legal "process" in which there is no recourse, all with the objective of making her talk, about matters that she says that she knows nothing about.

The baffling thing to me is what to think of it all. She writes the book from the perspective of "the victim," and, at some level, she definitely was "a pawn in their game." On the other hand, she rakes in 66 million franc (as it was back then), and acquires a very nice 320 sq. meter appartement on the rue de Lille, coupled with what was once a 7000 euro a month "job" with E-A for which she had no qualifications. In the book she seems to be deliberately reticent about certain key matters.

Admittedly, I thought she made some points that resonated: "It is a universe of the powerful and the powerless. These men are incapable of creation. The power is their one compensation" (Hum... talk about saying too much about intimate insights). As for herself, she says: "Like an old crocodile, my "leather" has thickened." The "internet" provided a two decades retrospective of the scandal, indicating that she has lost almost all to the French "IRS", and that today, at the age of 68, she sees no one. Alas.

As for the book itself, I'll give it 3-stars, with a "high uncertainty factor" of one star, either way, attributed to sorrow over the human condition.

Julius Caesar
Julius Caesar
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The edition vs. the content, a reviewer’s dilemma..., July 24, 2015
This review is from: Julius Caesar (Kindle Edition)
How can a reviewer give Shakespeare a three-star review, other than all those high school students who prefer to write two sentence 1-star reviews because they were forced to read it? Ah, there’s the rub, to coin a phrase, but I am NOT giving Shakespeare 3-stars: rather the edition I have just read, and even less than three stars for the manner in which Amazon displays the editions. It is just flat confusing, and wrong. Since I started my effort to read all of Shakespeare, at the pace of one work a month, I have been purchasing all the works for Kindle reading. The edition I purchased does have a cover which corresponds with the cover (currently) displayed on Amazon – the statue in the fountain, with the portico in the background. But the edition is (maddeningly!) incomplete – the last few pages are missing! At least the confirmation was comforting – a couple other reviewers gave it a 1-star review – for incompleteness, and not because they were forced to read it. And who could quibble with that?

Then there is the matter that at least two other hardcopy editions are displayed on the same page, and the “editorial reviews” that are associated with the Kindle edition seem to have absolutely nothing to do with the edition since they speak of “copious and concise explanatory notes” et al., with the other review mentioning appendixes that relate to Plutarch, Montaigne, et al. And none of this exists in the edition I purchased, admitted for only 99 cents... but still. If this was a page on Wikipedia, there would be three separate whisk brooms, with the admonition that “this page needs to be (really!) cleaned up.

Oh yes, was there an actual play involved in all the above grousing? Definitely, and I must have read 95% percent of the complete play, which poses its own sort of dilemma in terms of recording the play as “read.” It is yet another classic story – historically based – of power, corruption, intrigue, and death. The death of Julius Caesar marked a key transition in Roman history, from Republic, in its faded forms, to Empire.

As with so much Greek and Roman drama, Shakespeare commences with a prophecy warning of the ides of March. A prime plotter against Caesar, Cassius, brings in Brutus (of “et tu?” fame) and seeks the “respectability” of bringing in the “silver hair” of Cicero. There are refreshingly “modern” and straightforward details such as Cassius relating incidents from his youth together with Caesar, a swim in the Tiber (in which the latter almost drown) to an illness in Spain, all proof, he says, that Caesar is not a god. There is a discussion among the plotters about killing Mark Anthony too, but then the consensus is that it would be too much like a butchery, and not a “seasoned excise” of this ugly boil upon the Republic.

Caesar is killed, literally on the floor of the Senate, obviously long before those ubiquitous metal detectors. He is killed half way through the play, so the remainder is devoted to the (naturally inevitable?) falling out among the plotters, including a key division between Cassius and Brutus. Anthony performs a brilliant funeral oration, that seems to argue on the justice of the killing, but actually turns the tide against the plotters. He allies himself with Octavius, who would become Emperor.

At one level, an “exhausting read” of intrigue and perfidy that makes “hanging chads” a much preferable method for power transitions. Who would have thought I’d say that? The plotters do lose out in the end... if I only knew what that actually end was! 3-stars, reflecting a “triangulation” between an excellent play and an incomplete edition that did not live up to its advertising.

VOROSY Trekking Poles Walking Hiking Sticks Alpenstocks for Travel Hiking Climbing Backpacking (Collapsible, Flip Lock System, 7075 Aluminum Alloy, 1-Year Warranty)
Offered by TRAFUN
Price: $19.99 - $35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than medication..., July 22, 2015
About 15 years ago I became "addicted" to walking sticks. Before then I had considered them one more rather useless piece of equipment to "clutter up" a good hike, until, of course, they got lost. But then I began having serious pain in one leg, particularly on downhill segments. I was fortunate to have been in a position to obtain a vast array of medical advice and tests, and so I did. Results: Negative. Even though these docs were my friends, there was this subtle suggestion maybe the pain was really in my head. The invariable response: NO, it is in my leg. Then one day I decided to start using walking sticks and the pain, be it in my head or in my leg, just flat disappeared, for lo' these past 15 years. I became a Believer (in walking sticks!).

I've been using the same walking sticks for those 15 years, and still manage to hike a fair amount. When I was offered this one to review, I had to say yes, if for no other reason than to see if there had been improvements to a rather straightforward (as it were) piece of equipment. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there were.

I like the design. It is "shock-corded", and breaks into three pieces, about a foot in length. Light, at approximately half a pound, but strong enough to support my weight, I suspect, at least twice over. A couple of fellow reviewers critiqued it for the lack of directions. However, I felt that the assembly was intuitive, with the main "direction" being on the stick itself: pull, with an arrow. Once that is done, far enough, a metal button pops out, and locks the stick firmly in place. The only other adjustment is for overall height. The measurements are clearly indicated, and an easily adjustable latch firmly locks the overall height into place. There is a comfortable ergonomically designed handle, with two straps. One at the top of the stick, the second Velcro one for the "bear bell" and who knows what other uses?

Overall, it seems perfectly designed, for easy use. Perhaps one should buy three, since the only thing not "design-proof" is that aforementioned ability to lose one... or to be of assistance to a stubborn friend who prefers not to carry one. 5-stars.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2015 1:24 PM PDT

One More Mission: Oliver North Returns to Vietnam
One More Mission: Oliver North Returns to Vietnam
by Oliver L. North
51 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars "Brand-New Guy"..., July 20, 2015
Seems like Oliver L. North and I have a few things in common. During the American War in Vietnam, we were there approximately the same time, the latter part of 1968 and most of 1969. We were both in the field. Though he was an infantry officer, and I was a conscript in an armor unit, seems like we both learned that tanks can be dangerous to be around. As North says: "...in February 1969, I was badly hurt when the revolving turret of the tank I was riding on battered me like a baseball in the midst of a firefight..." When we returned from Vietnam in 1969, a couple months apart, we both ultimately arrived in the Pittsburgh airport, and my experience certainly matched what North describes in this book: "...there hadn't been any brass bands playing or welcome-home banners. Fortunately, there were no protestors awaiting me either..." Yes, no one spit on us, at least literally. Turns out we both went back to Vietnam, within a year of each other, he in April of 1993, and I in January, 1994. We both felt there was some unfinished business we had with the country, and much to North's credit, he did far more about it than I. The impoverished infrastructure was obvious to both of us, and he describes some of the deficiencies in the medical area. He specifically names two Christian-based relief organizations in this book written in 1993 that were working in Vietnam in this area. Over two decades later - per my Internet search - they are still working there, a much better form of "boots on the ground." And I say kudos for that. And hence the title to the book, with "mission" being incorporated in the name of one of the charities.

We are also quite different people. North is most famous, or is it infamous, for his role in what has been dubbed the "Iran-Contra" affair. In the 1980's, the United States was selling arms to Iran, and using the proceeds, with North being the key facilitator, to finance the "Contra" rebels who were fighting the Nicaragua government. Funding for the Contras was specifically outlawed by the US Congress. North was arrested, convicted of three felonies, and this conviction was ultimately reversed. His role in this key scandal of the `80's is only lightly covered in this book.

The first half of this book covers his experience during the war; the second half is the return in 1993, and a strong plug for the charities working there. Right from the beginning though, I had serious problems with his account. On page 14, North says: "Only a fool or a totally BNG - a "brand-new guy" failed to respect our adversaries. BNG!! Of course, the initials were NOT "BNG," they were FNG, and everyone knows that, including Google, where I just tested it again. And to be quite clear, the "F" is an expletive. So, why did the author decide to change that, when he knew better? To protect the sensibilities of the folks back home? Likewise, even earlier, in his backhanded "compliment" to his "minders": "...made us all realize, without really trying to, that there are redeeming qualities in those we once fought against." He demonstrates an obsession with the 2,200 MIA's, who, let's face it, we all know are dead. Why not a little more "obsession" with a real live veteran of that war attempting to obtain a medical appointment at a VA hospital, particularly for damage caused by Agent Orange, which the US government, at the time, was still denying that it caused any ill-effects?

Well... before I really get going, let's just say that we shared, at different times and places, similar experiences, and retain different perspectives on the matter. As for the charity work, bravo, and even a rarely given salute. As for the book, 3-stars.

Highway 60 & the Belen Cutoff: A Brief History
Highway 60 & the Belen Cutoff: A Brief History
by Dixie Boyle
10 used & new from $94.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Bypassed..., July 17, 2015
Last April a fellow Amazon reviewer and I decided to tour the ruins of three Spanish missions which are within an easy couple of hours drive from Albuquerque. The three missions are Quarai, Gran Quivira, and Abo, located near the southern end of the Manzano Mountains. A cool, crisp morning, and as can happen here in the Land of Enchantment, we were the first ones to visit two of the missions. Abo’s ranger station had a small selection of books, and this one caught my eye, since I was familiar with portions of US 60, particularly from Socorro to Datil. Once one climbs out of the Rio Grande Valley, heading west on 60, there is an “old timey” boarded-up motel, sitting on the side of the road, with the vast plain of the plateau behind it; it speaks of the utility of another era, when US 60 was one of the main roads across the United States, from coast to coast. Now it is an extremely rare person that would undertake that journey of 60, since it has been “bypassed” by Interstate 40 to the north, and Interstate 10 to the south. In New Mexico at least, US 60 is now mainly ghost towns and other towns, struggling not to be. Lots of broken dreams are along the road.

Dixie Boyle provides a useful historical perspective of the people who settled along the road. In the eastern half of the state, many were motivated by the proximity of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. In the western half, it was cattle and mining, particularly around Magdalena. Boyle starts in the middle of the state, at the railroad hub of Belen, and then travels eastward along 60 to the Texas state line. The route goes past Abo, through Mountainair, and on to Fort Sumner, Clovis, ending at the state line. The author includes numerous photos, mainly of abandoned buildings – those aforementioned broken dreams. There are also some of people – of the snapshot variety, - the figures who helped settle these towns. She then returns to the central part of the state, south of Belen, in Socorro, and finishes the journey through Magdalena, Datil, Pie Town, and thence to the Arizona border. In many ways, the route is like the atom itself: a bit of matter, but mainly it is empty space.

The last half of the book is devoted to brief stories of those who lived in the area as it was undergoing settlement by non-Hispanic Europeans. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, famous hunters, the women along the frontier, the boom-and-bust of the mining cycle are all covered. Regrettably, the most impressive sight along the road now: the VLA (Very Large Array) is given only one brief paragraph.

I learned a number of things from the read. Fires devastated frontier towns, again and again, and hence there is often the lack of a solid historical record. The location of railway yards, switching points, and even stations was the key to an area’s prosperity and decline. The area around Mountainair was once prosperous pinto bean farms, which were devastated by drought in the 1920’s and 1930’s. And US 60, near the Arizona line, was only paved in the 1950’s.

I’m glad to see that Boyle is bringing out a new edition of this work. Hopefully the editing will be tighter, as there are some redundancies in the current volume. Finally, after we had both selected this work in the Abo ranger station, and was in the process of paying the ranger, did she reveal that she was the author of this work. It is an important effort in chronicling what once was, before life moved on, along another by-pass. 4-stars.

iGearPro Spy USB Voice Recorder - Rechargeable Digital Audio Recorder - Hidden Pen Drive Dictaphone - Record Meetings, Lectures, Interviews (8GB)
Offered by EM Store
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful functional simplicity..., July 15, 2015
... with numerous applications.

This device represents one other technological “niche” that I had no idea existed. When I was offered this device for review, which is touted as a USB drive that is actually a sound recorder, I thought it surely cannot be that simple. But it is!

To utilize it the first time the battery must be charged, via the USB port, which takes approximately two hours. There is a red light which indicates it is charging, and goes out when it is fully charged. There is one simple ON/OFF switch, a small one on the side of the device. When it is ON, the device is recording. It is rated to record up to 13 hours before it needs recharging. Turning it OFF, the device functions as a normal USB drive. The one or more audio files can be played from the computer’s audio/video programs. In addition, all Windows Explorer functions work; therefore the audio files can be transferred to the main computer or laptop, or deleted when no longer needed.

I recorded the music I was listening to at the time. While not an outstanding recording, it is more than acceptable since the device will mainly be used for voice recording. The file was readily deleted. The device is billed as a “spy” recorder, and indeed it can be used for that purpose, either “masquerading” as a USB drive which is innocuously attached to the laptop, or simply in one’s pocket. At 16 grams, less than an inch wide, and two and a half inches long, it can be placed most anywhere. The only criticism I would have is that the USB connection is not retractable, as most drives are now, but rather has the “old-fashioned” cap. No doubt the length would have had to be longer to have had the retractable function, and the designers must not have thought that feature worthwhile compared to the shorter version they produced. Fair enough.

iGearPro touts a return and replacement policy, as well as customer support. For me, the best customer support is “built-in,” that is, producing a device that WORKS WELL, the first time, and thereafter, thereby obviating the need for “support.” This is such a product. 5-stars.

Stuck in the Passing Lane
Stuck in the Passing Lane
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars So you don't have to..., July 13, 2015
There is a popular website that proclaims: "We watch Fox News so you don't have to." Presumably a useful function. They catalogue some of the more egregious "news" items on the network, as well as focusing on the "bias" in their reporting. The network has an entire subset of the nation as faithful adherents, and thus the website can provide ready insight into their thinking. When I was offered Jed Ringel memoir for review, the aforementioned website was the first thing I thought of. Daily, my favorite - and sometimes not so favorite - internet provider taunts me - on my way to my email accounts that I have with them - with some admittedly attractive women, and the question: Am I ready for Internet dating yet? It is an entire subculture that I will never experience. Ringel's book reflects his experiences, usually in a rather droll way, and many times without suitable introspection, if you discount the incisive comments of his daughters.

The author drew me in on the second page, relating how he responded to a classified in the New York Review of Books. In the `70's I was a faithful reader of the Review, including the classifies, though I never decided to try to make a link. I do recall deciphering the meaning of the term "Rubenesque," and its frequent use, `lo those many decades ago. Ringel quickly moves beyond the print media of old, and relates in detail the games(wo)menship of using a popular on-line dating service. It works. Many are called, but few are chosen, as it were. Some encounters are obliquely described, many others, far more graphically.

It is a "global market" as we have been repeatedly told over the last few decades. And with the Internet, that cliché is true of on-line romance, the prelude to the press-the-flesh variety. In particular, Ringel makes selections from two other major world powers: Russia and China. In terms of compounding the long odds for a successful relationship, his forays into these other cultures raised the odds by a couple of magnitudes. In one experience, which strained credulity, he flies to Volgograd, and seemingly on the merits of a brief encounter, arranges for the Russian woman (who already has a `green card') and her son, an American citizen, to come set up home in his Manhattan apartment. In another medium-term encounter, he initiates a relationship with a Chinese woman whose broken English is difficult to comprehend, at times requiring "translation services."

As his daughters note in passing, he breaks off relationships that seem plausible to promising, and then goes out trying to draw three cards to fill an inside straight. At times he calls himself a schmuck and a jerk, and his book should be a cautionary tale for women who try on-line dating. As a sub-theme, he seems to shed real estate holdings, and acquire new ones, without particular motivation, as readily as he does women.

Overall, like that aforementioned website, I found the book a useful look at an area where I will never venture. A good sequel would be a book of what all the women he dated thought of their encounter. Overall, 4-stars.

To Siberia: A Novel
To Siberia: A Novel
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Some make those distant destinations, others don't..., July 10, 2015
This is the third novel of Per Petterson's that I've read. Thanks to the Vine program, I first read It's Fine by Me, which led me to actively seek out Out Stealing Horses: A Novel - with the encouragement of a fellow Amazon reviewer. I wasn't satiated by any means, and with his encouragement, chose this one. I had finished the first chapter without realizing that this novel is not set in Norway like the other two, but rather at the extreme northern end of Jutland, in Denmark.

The narrator is a young girl, and the story commences during the Great Depression. It is a tough, "gritty" existence, as so many others experienced during that time. She had an older brother, Jesper, and they rely on each other growing up in an unloving family. Her mother is remote - finding her salvation in religion. Many others, as they do at that latitude in particular, find salvation in the bottle. The grandparents live on a farm, where life is tough and hard; even a hardscrabble existence in a small town looks better in comparison. Both have dreams of getting away from their humdrum existence, to distant lands, she chooses Siberia (oddly, since she does not like the cold), and Jesper chooses Morocco. One makes it, the other one does not.

I really like the way Petterson unfolds his stories, with matter-of-fact narrative, and a confirmation of a key event occurring in a single sentence. There are also those hints of events in the larger world, which the old men debate: Spain. Thus, you know it's coming; this will not be a long, drawn out adolescence; rather youth will end abruptly, with World War II, and the invasion of Denmark by Nazi Germany in May, 1940. There is virtually no fighting, but there is "occupation," having to adjust to even greater poverty, and a range of characters in a foreign army, from well-meaning youths just a few years older than Jesper, to ruthless thugs. Jesper has long had leftist leanings, and so he is soon one of the early ones in "the resistance." On the other hand, there are those who were marked for "collaboration" ten years before the invasion.

I found parallels with Carson McCullers' The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. Both novels have young, very intelligent girls in hard economic circumstances due to the Great Depression, as well as difficult family circumstances, and seem to miss their "main chance" at further education as a result. The potential is snuffed out, and both suffer the same fate in terms of employment. Each novel is a heartbreaking read of alienation and resignation, all too early.

Way back when, 25 years ago, I spent a week at a Danish holiday resort - a "folkeferie" - on the north coast of Jutland, only 40 km or so from the novel's principle town of Skagen. At the folkeferie, all was light, fun, enjoyment, a much better life, and yet in living memory there were the tough lives that Petterson is a master at depicting. This is another book I should have read before the trip - far more meaningful insights than any travel guide can render. An excellent 5-star read.

Aller-Ease Naturals Organic Cotton Allergy Protection Fitted Mattress Protector, Queen, White
Price: $34.99
5 used & new from $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A third of one’s life..., July 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
... is spent in bed. One of the joys of the Vine program is the opportunity to experience products that one might not normally buy. One of the “lucky cards” I drew in life was (so far) to be allergy free, and I remain grateful, as I see my neighbor fleeing the city for a week, each year, to avoid the pollen of a nearby Mulberry tree that I am utterly oblivious too.

Dust mites, likewise, don’t seem to bother me, and they may even be non-existent in the house. Thus, I cannot attest to whether or not the “allerease” fitted mattress cover improved the quality of my life, or not. It has been on the bed for the past three weeks. It should be emphasized that this is not a mattress pad... it is placed under the pad, directly in contact with the mattress. The deep pockets make for a secure and easy fit.
It has yet to be washed, and I do note, as should other reviewers, that one reviewer reported a six-inch shrinkage on the first wash, following warm water washing instructions. Thus, I will use only cold water, and try on the line, under the New Mexican sun. As a couple of other reviewers reported, and I concur, I am skeptical when I see the “buzz-words” “natural” and “organic” (as opposed to synthetic?) associated with cotton, and of Chinese origin no less, when both those words are much abused in the United States also.

Overall, 4-stars, and I hope it stops an allergy I never knew was developing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20