Profile for G. Watson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Watson "The Unknown" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Dark Crystal (25th Anniversary Edition)
The Dark Crystal (25th Anniversary Edition)
DVD ~ Jim Henson
Offered by Tessan Products
Price: $5.00
59 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie. Scrap all the old DVDs and get the 25th Anniversary Edition!, April 3, 2009
The Dark Crystal is probably one of the most beloved fantasy tales of all time. There is a bit of reference to some of the Final Fantasy games in here and the story is timeless. Too bad the movie did not exert well on DVD. There was a decent special edition that Columbia put out in 1999, but the picture and audio sucked miserably. Then there was a supposed collector's edition released in 2002 I think and that version was literally a sour double dip. Also to add, WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!. Finally in 2007, Columbia released what may be the best presentation of this film yet. The 2-disc 25th Anniversary Edition brings this film to life finally. Very little grain and the special effects look better than ever. The Blu-Ray should be out by now so I can't imagine what that will look like. Save your money and snag this version or the Blu-ray but I got this version. It's not that expensive on Amazon and some stores sell it at a decent price. The set also comes with some decent material as well so go for this version. You won't be disappointed.

Rambo - The Complete Collector's Set (First Blood - Ultimate Edition / Rambo - First Blood Part II - Ultimate Edition / Rambo III - Ultimate Edition / John Rambo - Special Edition)
DVD ~ Sylvester Stallone
Price: $19.96
9 used & new from $17.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best Rambo set yet! Great action movies+decent extras= excitement to the nth degree!, April 1, 2009
The Rambo Collector's set is probably the best Rambo set to have in your collection. I read reviews about the original special edition discs of the first 3 Rambo flicks and that set was good. Then the Ultimate Edition set came out. Artisan must have really been on drugs to release that set because that set was a pure waste of money (I never said that I bought any of these sets, just heard about them). I saw the Collector's set at a Wal-Mart and I bought it for less than 30 dollars. Great deal since it does have the Ultimate Edition versions of the first 3 films with the new one in a 2-Disc Special edition with a digital copy. The set rounds out with a bonus 6th disc with most of the extras incorporated from the original special edition set. The only thing about the Ultimate Editions that suck are the interactive options features on all three original films. The stuff that is there is not that informative. The commentary tracks are definitely more informative. The new Rambo got the best treatment of them all with all the extras on one disc with disc 2 being the film's digital copy. It should've been on the movie disc and not on a disc of it's own. Stupid. All-in-all, this set is recommended and it is very cheap too. If you cannot find the original special edition set then this collector's set is the one to have. 6 discs at a price less than 30 dollars makes a great deal. Worth it all the way.

Howard the Duck (Special Edition)
Howard the Duck (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Lea Thompson
Price: $6.42
89 used & new from $2.42

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about damn time!, December 9, 2008
Howard the Duck is probably one of my favorite movies ever. I loved it when I was a kid and I still enjoy it to this very day. I honestly don't know why George Lucas shunned this movie. It helped him to create Pixar Studios for crying out loud (true fact)! The best news yet is that this movie is finally available on Region 1 DVD. I'm happy for that. At least Universal is putting it out on a Special Edition version no doubt. I didn't review it yet but I'm sure it will come packed with extras and boasting a picture quality that's as darn near clear as the version you can find at raredvdclassics.com. That's where I got one at first. Then when I hear it's coming out for real... well you know the rest. The version that's there does have the awesome picture and audio but sadly no extras. Didn't matter to me. I do hope that it is worth it and it's ready for preorder. It's only abut 13 bucks but it's worth it just to have this cult classic in your collection finally. So fans can rejoice finally. Howard the Duck is finally here to do battle with the Dark Overlords and get the girl. If George Lucas happens to read this, thanks man. I do appreciate it. There are still some great movies they have yet to throw on Region 1 DVD. Here's a decent list of some:

Phantasm 2
A Return to Salem's Lot
John the Fearless

There are more but these were the only ones I could think of at the moment. DVD comes out in March of next year so start drooling all you fans! I know I am!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2009 1:32 AM PST

Highlander 2 - Special Edition
Highlander 2 - Special Edition
DVD ~ Christopher Lambert
23 used & new from $1.59

5.0 out of 5 stars May not be as good as the first, but an awesome DVD release turns a bad movie into a great movie!, November 28, 2008
Highlander 2 came out back in 1991. I saw the original version and I was not impressed with it. The special effects were terrible and the plot was pretty jagged. Then the DVD came out. I never saw the Renegade version but I was lucky enough to catch the 2-Disc edition from Lionsgate. Needless to say, I was impressed. The special effects look so much better due to all of the digital reenhancing. The quickening effects look way better than the effects in the original. The energy shield effects look way better too to give it a much darker atmosphere. The sword fights are not as good as the original but they are good. It's also fun to see Katana hijack a train and go nuts. Katana is a good villain but he'll never beat the Kurgan (YOU WILL ALWAYS BE WEAKER THAN I!). Russell Mulcahy should be given a pat onthe back for making one of the most beloved fantasy pictures ever with a decent sequel. The other sequels are good, but not as good as 1 and 2. The special effects are at their best in 1 and 2. At least Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery have come back. This movie also has a great soundtrack with an awesome song: Lou Gramm's One Dream. If you want to own this film on DVD, get the 2-Disc Special Edition from Lionsgate. If you have the Renegade version, trash that and get the Lionsgate version. You will be impressed. The DVD makes this film way better! There can be only one!

Battlefield Earth
Battlefield Earth
DVD ~ John Travolta
Offered by Brand New Rarities
Price: $33.97
78 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Battlefield Earth rocks! Put simply!, November 28, 2008
This review is from: Battlefield Earth (DVD)
I had loads of negative thoughts going through my head when I first saw Battlefield Earth. People rave that this is one of the worst movies ever and that it was a piece of junk that should never have been made. I watched it for myself and I was impressed. First of all the story's plot line was nothing new to me. Earth being overrun by vicious aliens and humans fighting back to save their planet. That's a great plotline because I love post-apocalyptic stories. This one may not be as great as The Stand, Waterworld, or The Postman, but it must be seen to be believed. John Travolta may not be at his best here but at least he plays a villain and that's what he's probably best at. He was a good villain in Face/Off and The Punisher, but I find him a little more comical here. Hell he keeps calling the humans "RAT BRAINS"! The film's special effects were not really that bad and were pretty cool. The final battle scenes were not entirely terrific but were enough to keep me entertained. I heard the book was really good and I don't know where the movie fell flat of it's demands. I heard that it was hard to turn a lengthy book into a near 2-hour flick. I can see that as tough. The movie did have a good ending and that may be one of the best things of the movie. Enough with the movie and let's talk about the DVD. First, it has absolutely one of the coolest pictures I've ever seen. The extras are awesome but the film's theatrical trailer is worth watching for the choir music there. You will feel like you're in an epic adventure. Gotta love choir music. Without that there would be no epic adventure films. As for the movie, you may want to give it a second chance. I saw it for the first time and I loved it. It was funny and serious both at the same time. Okay it had some lousy dialogue, but what movie doesn't have that nowadays? All in all, great movie and very overlooked!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2009 9:32 AM PDT

Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
DVD ~ Trevor Matthews
Price: $9.35
76 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Now this is a fun horror movie! Cool special effects and funny! AWESOME ENDING!, November 1, 2008
This review is from: Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (DVD)
I didn't think much when I popped this movie in but when it was over I felt refreshed. This movie was simply awesome. The special effects were well made (no CGI). The dialogue was funny and Robert Englund just going crazy just made me crack up like silly. Trevor Matthews was perfect as the hero and the mentally unstable guy that he is. This is one horror movie that has the delicacy to show an awesome ending much like Dead Alive.

SPOILER ALERT- if you haven't seen the movie don't read on but the ending is worth it.

First of all, it ends sort of like a blood bath, but that's not the best part. Jack's girl Eve, the screaming crybaby, gets dumped by Jack after he comes to his senses. I can't recall the girl's name whom he saves in the end, but he ends up having her to do the victory kiss with instead of Eve. The first thing that went through my mind is OH HELL YEAH. NOW THAT'S THE WAY A HORROR MOVIE SHOULD END IN MY OPINION! The hero saving the girl in the end and that's it (not excluding the jungle aftermath). All I know is this movie changed my perspective on what I want to do when I become a filmmaker and do some good horror flicks. Thanks Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer. Keep it up!

The Stand
The Stand
DVD ~ Gary Sinise
71 used & new from $3.25

5.0 out of 5 stars May as well be one of the best Stephen King flicks ever! I wonder what the Blu-Ray version will be like?, October 13, 2008
This review is from: The Stand (DVD)
The Stand is impressive in many ways possible! I know the movie is 6 hours in length put it pulled me in after the first episode. It had a great apocalyptic opening where it can possibly happen in real life with the virus and all. The second half jumps into this supernatural realm where people dare not go and I find that fascinating. I got this movie from a 5 movie collection by Artisan (also had Cujo, Golden Years, The Langoliers, and Thinner) and I received the 2-disc version which is good but its probably better than the flipper disc. I despise flipper discs because they get scratched and broken so easily that its not funny. Lucky me I guess. This would be a great DVD title to come out on Blu-Ray. Imagine the entire 6-hour film on one disc with no flipping or changing. The Golden Years was an amazing disc to me since the 232 minute film was on a single, non-flipper disc. Go figure. Yeah it takes off a lot of room on your shelf, since the VHS version of The Stand was 4 tapes. The DVD is either one or two discs. DAMN! Overall this movie is a must-see and I strongly recommend that you get a comfy chair and caffeine pills to get through this film. I didn't though. I sat through the whole 6 hours with no problem. I think you all can too. This movie is screaming for a Blu-Ray release. I'm not saying that I'm gonna get it (I'm happy with the 2-disc version just fine, since its 6 hours), but a Blu-ray release would be interesting. As for the movie, Stephen King deserves a pat on the back for an amazing film that pulls the reader of the book and the viewer of the movie into a world that we dare not exist in and one that we absolutely must survive in.

Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation [VHS]
Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation [VHS]
VHS
Offered by VHS movies for your VCR
Price: $14.99
40 used & new from $0.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh..... MY GOD!!! What a laugh riot and a great nostalgic movie! The only thing I'm not laughing about is: where is the DVD?, October 7, 2008
First of all, I love Tiny Toons HISMV. My mom loves it and it is possibly one of the funniest summer comedies since One Crazy Summer and many others. The show just got released on DVD and I hope to expect a DVD release of this movie which needs to come out into the spotlight finally. My god, this flick was only available on VHS for so long and now there's not too many people out there who own VCRs anymore. They've all moved on to DVDs and Blu-Ray. Sadly HISMV is not part of that all. It will be soon though hopefully. I hope to get this movie just so me and my parents can enjoy nostalgic laughs and God knows how many people want to go to Happy World Land! I sure as hell wanted to: BUT NOT ON THAT DAMN MONORAIL! The cart chase in the end is still great. If this film does not come out..... uh-oh, the bacon OOOH the pork chops.... hogjaws..... give me bunny burgers uuuuuhhhhhh ha ha ha. Oh well, note to Warner Bros.: put this movie out on DVD ASAP!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Two-Disc Special Edition)
DVD ~ Harrison Ford
Price: $16.47
135 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, but not as good as the original three!, October 6, 2008
First of all I did enjoy the first three Indiana Jones flicks. Raiders had great action scenes and special effects that are still hard to top today. Temple of Doom heavied up on the action and some scenes scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, especially the guy getting lowered into the lava. Last Crusade was probably the best of the bunch PERIOD. Now we have Crystal Skull. First of all, I'm glad that Harrison Ford came back and so did Steven Spielberg as director. Oh, can't forget Karen Allen as Indy's love, Marion. Shia LaBeouf just did not carry the film at all with his performance. I went to see the movie just to see Indy in more action and the science fiction story with the aliens did play a descent part in the movie. My stepfather plans to buy the film on Blu-Ray, but I want the DVD release. Is the movie worth watching? Yes, if you are a fan of the three previous films, which I loved. I did enjoy this movie, but it was nowhere close as good as the original three. I still give the movie 5 stars because I left the movie theater impressed as I'm sure anyone else did when they saw this film and the original three. I say it's worth it and if they do another Indiana Jones film, bring back Harrison Ford if they can. As for the movie, SEE IT!

Meet the Feebles
Meet the Feebles
DVD ~ Danny Mulheron
35 used & new from $4.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat lead, you man-stealing SLUT!!!, October 1, 2008
This review is from: Meet the Feebles (DVD)
Meet the Feebles! Ah, where to begin. Let's start with I have never laughed as hard as ever when I popped this movie in. This film made me laugh my head off completely! First of all, puppets having sex! You can't get any better than that. Furthermore, they swear, they smoke, they murder with blood galore, and I can just go on and on from there. Peter Jackson is by far my favorite filmmaker of all time mainly because of Lord of the Rings. When I checked out his earlier movies, they made me like the guy even more. Not only can he do a great adventure epic, he can also do eye-popping splatter gore flicks like Bad Taste, Dead Alive, and this one. Of course I like all of his movies and this one is probably the most underrated of them all. The DVD by the way needs a huge makeover, by Anchor Bay preferably. Widescreen would be nice too with a better, grainless picture, with some decent extras as well. With a conclusion, Meet the Feebles is one gross-out comedy which will rock your funny bone to the core. Hell I loved it and you will too. I guess I will end with: Trevor, I want that fudgepacker eliminated!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4