Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Joe Buchberger > Reviews

Browse

Joe Buchberger's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joe Buchberger RSS Feed (Tampa, FL United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Hotel and Lodging Management: An Introduction
Hotel and Lodging Management: An Introduction
by Alan T. Stutts
30 used & new from $0.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Too brief, too boring, too expensive, May 6, 2001
I work for a hotel/property management software company now and never worked in the hospitality industry other than being a busboy at a Howard Johnson's when I was 16, so I bought this book to give me a better feel for what goes on in the heads of the people using our software. I was disappointed in my choice as soon I opened the package and saw how briefly each topic is covered.
There are plenty of pictures and short biographies of the great hoteliers, which were about the most interesting parts of the book. Many other pictures showed typical workers smiling as they did their jobs, taken right out of the archives from the major hotels. Each chapter also had a summary and review questions section which takes up a good portion of the book. Other than things I had no interest in, such as pages of checklists on the steps to efficiently cleaning a hotel room and sample franchise agreements that used up more valuable pages, there was very little depth to any of it.
It only glanced at the subject of the night audit and accounting functions, which is what I originally bought the book for, and it's coverage of PMS (Property Management Software) systems was limited to remarking that this is one of the biggest changes to happen in the past ten years. I wondered if the author had ever had any exposure to any of the popular PMS packages in use today, or even knew of any since he didn't list or provide references for further study on this subject. With a copyright date of February 2001 I assumed I would get the most up to date coverage but the few pictures and paragraphs of front desk automation were of ancient terminals circa 1985 or so and virtually nothing was mentioned of recent technology changes such as the Internet and online reservation systems now being integrated and handled in-house.
This book is listed as 400 pages but is actually only a little over 300, which was a blessing in a way, since I couldn't wait to get through it and get started on more substantial book on the subject. I'm used to buying computer books with list prices in the range of this book's price tag, and expect to get a comprehensive guide to the subject when I do. I was disappointed with what I got for my money on this purchase though, and couldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't have to buy it for a course they are taking in school. As a book to keep around just for knowledge, review and reference it is of little value to me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2013 9:03 PM PDT

DSL For Dummies
DSL For Dummies
by David Angell
49 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but a little repetitious, April 21, 2001
This review is from: DSL For Dummies (Paperback)
I read this book mainly because I needed a quick overview of DSL technology before investing in it for home use. I was lucky enough to find it brand new on the local library shelf so immediately checked it out, on the premise that I don't really need a serious technical reference text on this subject, just a good overview before signing any long-term contract for DSL Internet service.
This book packs a lot of useful information into a light, fun format that is readable even at the beach or poolside, yet gives you a good overview of the subject matter. It does a great job of laying out the basics of acquiring and utilizing high speed DSL service and covers all the flavors of DSL, ILECS and CLECS, and what questions to ask an ISP about their DSL Internet service. It looks at simple home or small business network design including NAT, firewalls and connection sharing, as well as a good practical review of the TCP/IP protocol.
I was able to breeze through most of the operating system sections once I read the first one, as it was somewhat repetitious boilerplate with minor OS specific differences. I didn't need to be reminded with the same paragraphs quite so many times that high speed internet has incredible potential and value and all that you could do with it once you got it, but that didn't stop me from finishing the book feeling satisfied that I had learned a thing or two that I didn't already know.
Overall I liked the book and think the reading was spare time well spent.

Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 MCSE Study System
Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 MCSE Study System
by Curt Simmons
19 used & new from $0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Learning Tool for Proxy Server 2.0, April 5, 2001
If I'm just studying to pass a test, I read a book through once, answer all the chapter questions, maybe pass up the labs for now, then either turn around and read it again and work the labs on my humble home network, or start reading through another similar guide first, and then going back and working with the product through the labs. Polish all that off with one of the readiness reviews for the last few days and the test is passed.
This time I needed to learn Proxy Server so I can better understand the live system I actually work with, and worry about the test later maybe. I've read through this book once already, and it is clear and understandable, very well written. In one read I've gleaned a lot of information for my day-to-day use, and know that the second pass through, working the labs live, will tighten up my understanding of this technology even more. Some technical books are so poorly written I can't finish them so I just move on to the next one, but this one is pretty well done, and suits my needs just fine.
There are a few little errors but they are obvious and not too distracting; a diagram reference # wrong or a silly misspelling like HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE as the correct answer on one of the chapter assessment tests. I've seen much worse.
This book is a great learning tool for Proxy Server 2.0, whether to pass the MCSE test or to learn it for work. If I were going for the test, I'd not stop here; but just to use it for knowledge, review and reference, it's great.
It lists and covers all the certification requirements, and even gives a good cross reference of which chapters cover which test objective, as well as a convenient appendix containing all the collected Mini-Labs from each chapter. I haven't tried the BeachFront CD yet so I don't have an opinion, but the book itself is solid.
I recommend it.
Joe Buchberger

MCSE Windows 2000 Professional Study Guide (EXAM 70-210)
MCSE Windows 2000 Professional Study Guide (EXAM 70-210)
by Debra Littlejohn Shinder
41 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to home study, January 25, 2001
This book covers test (70-710) of the Windows 2000 MCP series, and came in a boxed set with it's brothers, Server (70-715), Win2K Infrastructure (70-716), and Directory Services Infrastructure (70-717).
The shear size of this block of study guides means I have to push through them at a certain rate or never be finished. Fortunately, the writing style is warm and clear and the book is laid out in such a way that I can sit and work through a chapter in front of my computer, trying the examples, learning and moving on. I have been working my way through this 764 page tome picking up valuable nuggets along the way, and can't wait to cover the next chapter and move on.
This entire series is 2900 pages long and will take me around 58 days if I could read at 50 pages per days, but even if I only cover one book of this set per month and take four months to read them, this is a terrific source of high quality and low cost Windows 2000 training.
I am enjoying working my way through this book, and can't wait to get to the next in the series once I finish, but first I have this Mastering Windows 2000 Server by Mark Minasi, (1507 pages) to finish. <Sigh> Fifty pages a day and I'll have that one done in a month...then...

Resumes For Dummies (Resumes for Dummies, 3rd ed)
Resumes For Dummies (Resumes for Dummies, 3rd ed)
51 used & new from $0.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and up to date, December 30, 2000
I've read the author's other two Dummies books, Covers Letters and Job Interviews and given them both 5 stars. This book rounds out the series and it didn't disappoint me in any way.
With the job-hunting situation changing at Internet speed, I found this book to be up to date and extremely useful. Her coverage of electronic resumes was excellent, and I was glad to find that I wasn't too far off base on what I had already put together on my own in this regard. She did point out to me several weak areas that I did have and clearly spelled out with explanations and examples how I could make my resume better.
A very good book and I recommend it as being well worth the price and time I invested.

Watchdog and the Coyotes
Watchdog and the Coyotes
by David Slonim
Price: $5.99
158 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story with a powerful message, December 17, 2000
My 10 year old daughter offered me this book to read while she read one of her favorites last week during our reading hour and I must say that I loved it! It's a great story of friendship and values, and of finding the bravery to stand up for what is right and to fight to protect what is yours and those you love.
I recommend this book to all daddy's and their little girls, and to everyone else who can take the time to sit down with a good book and enjoy a well written story.

Job Interviews For Dummies
Job Interviews For Dummies
92 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price of admission, December 16, 2000
This book's theme is that job interviewing is really performance art and how you can use it to get job offers. Throughout the book the case is made that the job interview should be approached much like an audition for a part in a play. Some of the most important traits needed to win the part are appearance, performance skills and confidence, and this book goes over them in an entertaining and easily readable fashion.
One thing I liked is the way each topic is covered and then tips are given to illustrate the ShowStopper way as well as the Show Flopper way, with breakout boxes discussing areas that are judgment calls in which the experts are divided and it's up to you to decide how one approach or another best fits your situation.
Doing your homework prior to the interview is stressed heavily, as is the obvious value of correcting any deficiencies you may have in your skill set or educational background. The ultimate answer to difficult questions about your qualifications or lack thereof is to either have those skills now or be working on getting them, so you can walk onstage with the confidence needed to land the part.

Cover Letters For Dummies
Cover Letters For Dummies
82 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A tremendous job hunting resource, December 6, 2000
This is not just a book on cover letters; it's a wealth of knowledge on the entire job-hunting process. Joyce Lain Kennedy has put together a tremendous resource for the current or soon to be job hunter, which is really most of us.
I know people scoff at Dummies books, especially for highly technical subjects, but this book is the perfect format for the vast collection of job-hunting facts, ideas and wisdom in this book. The author does an excellent job of presenting a lot of material in a way that is clear, entertaining and extremely readable.
I highly recommend this book, and liked it so much I went out and bought her other two books, Resumes' and Job Interviews for Dummies, which I will be reviewing as I finish them.

Best Answers to the 201 Most Frequently Asked Interview Questions
Best Answers to the 201 Most Frequently Asked Interview Questions
by Matthew J. DeLuca
145 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it's weight in gold, December 5, 2000
This book is a must for anyone who is either looking for a job now or possibly will be in the future, which is just about all of us nowadays. It is a no-nonsense reference guide to the kinds of questions to expect during the interview and what the both weak and strong responses are to them, as well as how to respond to inappropriate or illegal questions without totally killing your chances at getting the job.
I especially like the list of questions right at the start for use as a quick index when filling out employment questionnaires. Strong responses to such questions as what aspects of your current job do you like best, or least, are quickly found with a discussion of the reasoning behind the answers.
This book is concise and to the point, and well worth the price even if you don't expect to need it in the near future, if just for the self-confidence and self-examination opportunity it gives you.
I highly recommend it.
Joe Buchberger

McSe Training Guide: Windows Nt Server 4 (Training Guides)
McSe Training Guide: Windows Nt Server 4 (Training Guides)
by Joe Casad
41 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Has a place in my reference library, December 2, 2000
It's been over a year since I first worked through this book on my way to completing the MCSE certification and it was one of three books I used to pass the Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 exam. Though it may be too late for you if you still plan on passing this test before the deadline of Dec. 31, 2000, for me it proved invaluable today as I began building a small home network.
The simple and clear layout as well as ample screen shots allowed me to skim the entire book in a little over an hour and refresh a lot of the facts and procedures I learned way back when but haven't had to use recently.
Because there are other books out there that are more comprehensive in their coverage of Windows NT Server and its value as a test study guide is gone thanks to Microsoft retiring the NT 4.0 track I can't give it five stars, but as a quick reference when I need it this book will remain on my shelf.

Page: 1 | 2