Profile for Jennifer Freeman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer Freeman "dailyfuss" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2
4moms Cleanwater Infant Bath Tub with Digital Thermometer
4moms Cleanwater Infant Bath Tub with Digital Thermometer

4.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Clean Water, January 1, 2010
We used the Cleanwater Infant Tub until Leighton was over five months old and I think it's quite lovely. For $39.95, it's a bargain compared to a few pricier tubs we tried. It reads the water temp and allows a constant stream of clean water. Leighton looks comfy and gets clean - easy peasy. I registered for it and received it as a shower gift.

I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because the construction is rather crude. Still, the tub did what it was supposed to do in our standard-sized/shaped kitchen sink and accomodated Leighton until she could sit up in a regular tub.

aden + anais Classic Muslin Swaddle Blanket 4 Pack, Zoo Animals (Previous Model)
Offered by Etailz
Price: $49.95
11 used & new from $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Super Swaddler, December 29, 2009
We knew very little about swaddling before Leighton. She roomed in with us at the hospital, and we never sent her to the nursery. Occasionally, a nurse would come in and wrap her up in what looked like a flannel Ace bandage. There was my pride and joy - a sleeping cremini mushroom with a scrunched little face.

Leighton, by design, is not a particularly colicky baby. In fact, I imagine that Dr. Weissbluth (of Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child fame) would say she is four parts easy baby and one part fuss. Still, for her first eight weeks on this planet, her "flail reflex" kept her from sleeping peacefully without intervention. (It still disrupts her on occasion). Early on, a friend gave us a video called The Happiest Baby on the Block that illustrates how to wrap your kid like a burrito and then shush, shimmy and swing the little peanut to sleep. It looks easy enough, but the whole deal doesn't work without a proper swaddling blanket.

Child experts frighten new parents out of their minds about SIDS - and I'm not saying it isn't a legitimate concern - I'm simply eluding to the fact that my fear of SIDS escalated to a fear of blankets in general. We had cozy cotton blankets from Gymboree and Tea Collection and a thousand of those fleecy blankets that you get for "congrats on your new baby" type gifts. These were all too thick and scary and sweaty for me. Plus, none of these, regardless of quality, could hold a swaddle. The inexpensive flannel rectangles would work if they were actually big enough to wrap around my baby. Bummer.

In the video, Dr. Karp made it look so simple. I was inspired to test his methodology. I perused countless websites and couldn't seem to find thin, soft blankets large enough to swaddle Leighton. During my pregnancy, I had squirreled away a huge list of links for products - nuggets that interested me. I went back to that well, remembering that there was a blanket website that had caught my eye initially because it looked fancy and took a hit on "organic".

I purchased Pink/White and Pink/Brown 4-packs of Muslin Swaddling Blankets for $44.00 each from Aden and Anais. Problem solved.

They are big (47 inch square), soft and breathable. They work like a charm for swaddling. She could snooze blissfully for five or six hours in her little muslin cocoon. BRILLIANT!

Since we stopped wrapping Leighton up at night, we have used them as crib sheet savers, burp cloths, pacifier holder-inners, sun shades ... you name it. Spitty on it - throw it in the hamper. Pee on it - throw it in the hamper. And, you just toss another one in it's place. Honestly, these are a few of my favorite things.

Leighton nutches on Soothies and has trouble keeping them in as she dozes off. I was accustomed to running over and plugging it back in every few minutes. Now, I wad up one of these blankets and prop the Soothie in. She can breathe right through the blanket if it moves, so I don't worry about smothering her either.

Aden and Anais blankets get softer and more wonderful as you use them. I don't think any parent should be without a stash of these fab finds. In fact, we have eight and I would like four more because Leighton is becoming quite a little drooler.

One recommendation I have is to choose either pastel designs or just plain white. The more design on the blanket, the stiffer it will be to start out. And, much of the joy is derived from the sheer softness. When I put Leighton down for a nap or for bed, she always has one of these swaddlers in her grip. "Get cozy" I tell her as tickle her face with a corner and tuck her in.

Our standard shower gift for first time parents (Yes - we have a "standard gift" that our freinds have come to expect) is a four pack of Aden and Anais blankets, The Happiest Baby on the Block and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. We have yet to disappoint - especially with the blankets.

Tummy Tub- Pink Baby Bath Safe Unique Design European Environmentally Friendly
Tummy Tub- Pink Baby Bath Safe Unique Design European Environmentally Friendly
Offered by Beanies n' Boyds
Price: $45.95

3.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Baby Bath Bucket, December 29, 2009
We tried the Tummy Tub and stand back in July, when our daughter was only eight weeks old. It wasn't the best experience. In fact, I hated the Tummy Tub. This past week, we decided to give the Tummy Tub another shot at nine months-old and counting.

We purchased a brand new, original Tummy Tub on Amazon for $42.70 plus shipping. I avoided the stand this time because it was too tippy for my little jumping bean. Plus, it cost another $50 and $100 for a tub situation is a bit much. So, I skipped it.

The first time around, I found the price to be high. However, I was given a few things to consider by the US Distributor for the tub:

*Tummy Tubs are produced in Europe & Israel, as opposed to China. Everything is CPSIA compliant and has passed the highest safety standards.

*Tummy Tub plastic is the highest quality available.

*Standard infant tubs are often made of inferior quality plastic resulting in the purchase of more than one. Plus, standard tubs are only comfortable for a short period of time resulting in the purchase of a larger tub and/or toddler seat. The Tummy Tub can work for tots up to nearly two years of age.

I am never one to turn my nose up at products made from quality materials in fully developed countries. For the actual tub piece, $42.70 is not a bad price for a bathing device that goes from newborn to toddler.

Now, as far as utility, I will say that after using the Tummy Tub all week, I was often wet and it was hard to rinse my daughter's head because I like to tip her back in the tub to avoid getting water in her eyes. As far as pooping in the tub, well ... she did that in the big tub this morning and admittedly, it would have been a hell of a lot easier to clean up if she had been in the Tummy Tub.

With regard to my daughter's Tummy Tub reviews they were mixed. When I first put her in it, she was interested and happy. But, I filled it up too high initially and had to "pause" her bath to remove some of the water. When I put her back in, she was mad at me, wouldn't sit down and abused me with a washcloth.

That's basically the story all week. If Lei was in a good mood, Tummy Tub time went fine. If she was cranky or tired ... not so much.

In retrospect, I may have been a overly critical of the Tummy Tub in my initial review. This time around, my daughter found it rather enjoyable, for the most part. Plus, it's cute, conscientiously produced and a few readers commented that they love Tummy Tub. If the tub had a more practical stand, I would be inclined to try that too.

I think whether the Tummy Tub works for any family depends on both the parents and the child. As the Tummy Tub distributor remarked to me, "it boils down to what your priority is ... easy bathing experience for mom or dad or comfort for baby." For me, it's both, and baby's comfort comes first. However, If baby isn't comfortable it may not work out.

In light of our experience with Tummy Tub Round II, I am upgrading from 1 star (I hate it) to 3 starts (it's OK). We will shelve the Tummy Tub for now, but I will definitely pull it out for another adventure if and when baby number two comes along.

The Daily Fuss
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2010 5:32 AM PST

Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Hand Soap, Baby Blossom, 12.5-Ounce Bottles (Case of 6)
Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Hand Soap, Baby Blossom, 12.5-Ounce Bottles (Case of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Baby Blossom, December 29, 2009
My husband is incredibly diligent about getting visitors to wash their hands as soon as they arrive, and I am grateful. We aren't germaphobes by any stretch, but we wash hands. WE WASH HANDS! Hell, it's the number one way to prevent the spread of germs. Period. Bird flu, swine flu, common cold, strep, impetigo, MRSA, pinworms, dust mites ... Oh. "Period" means that I have concluded that particular point. Got it.

Washing your hands before doing just about anything is good practice these days. But, it's especially important when you bring home a new baby or have a kid that puts everything in his mouth.

I'm not a fan of chemical products (with the exception of bleach in small doses) and I think that antibactieral products just make germs more resistant. With the foregoing in mind, I have become a huge fan of Mrs. Meyers Clean Day products.
Mrs. Meyers has a complete line of cleaning products that can be found at Cost Plus Market, Whole Foods, Container Store and a number of other places. The company includes essential oils and other natural ingredients to help you clean ... and it all smells wonderful.

I have been using their products for years, but my recent favorite scent is Baby Blossom. It smells like honeysuckle and we are huge fans. We have soap and lotion pumps at each sink - worth every penny at $5 each for 12.5oz. Our soap to lotion ratio is 3:1 and counting, but I wouldn't skip the lotion. It isn't greasy and smells great.

The Baby Oil works like a charm too and the Freshening Spray keep the diaper pail stink-free. Mrs. Meyers carries a whole line of baby products, and I've tried them all. In the interest of full disclosure, we use Mustela shampoo, lotion and diaper cream. I prefer those, but Mustela is wildly expensive and Mrs. Meyers offers a formidable, cost-conscious alternative.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2010 6:05 AM PST

Baby Bond Designer Slurp and Burp with Sewn in Burpcloth
Baby Bond Designer Slurp and Burp with Sewn in Burpcloth

5.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Feeding Frenzy, December 29, 2009
The Baby Bond Nursing Wrap is a soft, twisty piece of cotton knit fabric that basically turns any shirt into a nursing top so you can see your baby without putting your bare skin out there for the world to see. It's a keen invention and the product tagline is ever so clever - For Nursing and Conversing. Feed Your Baby. Nourish Your Relationship. Accompanying this brilliant design is a quality burp cloth that can hang from the wrap, as well as a handy little bag for storage. It looks great, rolls up quite small and goes right in the wash. The Baby Bond Nursing Wrap is the newest addition to my new mom gift bag.

Envirosax La Boheme Pouch,Black,one size
Envirosax La Boheme Pouch,Black,one size

5.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Envirosax, December 29, 2009
I fancy myself environmentally conscious ... or as environmentally conscious as I can be while accepting a continuous flow of online purchase deliveries to my home. With that in mind, plastic shopping bags drive me crazy and finding a store in my neighborhood that accepts them for recycling just isn't happening. Thus, I am addicted to Envirosax. I've been using them for years now.
Envirosax are basically nylon shopping bags that hold lots of stuff, look great, fit comfortably over your shoulder and come in lots of fantastic designs. They roll up and have a snap tab to keep them rolled in your stroller, purse, car or man bag.

I have several of the Graphic Series and a few sax from the Green Grocer line. I have yet to try the Organic, but you can bet that will be my next purchase. The true purpose of this post however, is the Kids Series. Hip and cute! What a great way to teach kids about environmental responsibility.

Envirosax will run you $[...] per bag or you can buy a set of five for $[...]. The size is perfect, and I believe you can fit more in one of these bags than in a large, paper shopping bag. They hold up well, as long as you don't drag them on the ground with several bottles of wine in them. Doing so will eventually produce a hole ... I would imagine.
I've seen Envirosax around the city at various stores, but I buy them off the official website. I have no reason for doing so other than the fact that I like to have access to all of the designs. I realize that I've mentioned groceries, but I also use Envirosax for trips to the farmer's market, as a hamper when I travel, to haul loot home from a trip to my parents' house, to take food or wine to a friend's party and for all other shopping. If you are one of those people who likes to accumulate bags from various stores during a trip to the mall because you think it's cool, please understand that going the ecological/sustainable route is much cooler. I promise.

As a bonus, your kid can follow your positive example and cart his or her kid belongings all over town in eco-friendly style. Oh yeah. Envirosax make great gifts too, meanwhile helping you make a statement about our precious planet.

BabyLegs  Leg Warmers, Jolly Jill
BabyLegs Leg Warmers, Jolly Jill
Offered by Thanks Mama
Price: $10.00
3 used & new from $6.16

5.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Babylegs, December 29, 2009
BabyLegs are legwarmers for babies and kids - handy little items I wish I would have invented. They come in a multitude of designs and colors to match (or deliberately mismatch) just about every outfit.

These comfy fashion accessories are easy to put on and particularly useful because we keep our air conditioning jacked up in the summer and BabyLegs protect Leighton's mini shanks from the chill without interfering with diaper changes. Plus, she wears cloth diapers and pants don't always fit quite right over her somewhat poofy little bum.

The Academy and Popsicle designs are easy favorites. We also have Organic and Supersoft, which are longer so they don't quite fit yet. The newest style Cool! is made from 50+ UPF breathable mesh for summer. We haven't tried them yet, but I suspect a pair will make it's way into my cart soon.

As per usual, I bought them off of the official website, but you can get them lots of places now. Target has My First BabyLegs too for little babies. For some reason, these are not on the official website. At [...] for the standard and $15/pair for the supersoft the price point is a bit high. But BabyLegs are well-made and I think they're so cute, I seem to have no problem spending the money.

Ultra Facial Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 Sunscreen - Light - 75ml/2.5oz
Ultra Facial Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 Sunscreen - Light - 75ml/2.5oz

5.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Fresh Faced, December 29, 2009
I haven't missed a shower since Leighton was born. That is, I haven't gone more than twenty-four hours without hosing myself down and brushing my teeth. I vowed that no matter how tough it would be to get my day going, I would be clean. It's good for the mind, body and soul.

I've only gone a handful of days without blow-drying too. It was hard to squeeze proper blowouts in at first because I did it while Leighton was napping and couldn't resist the urge to stop every two minutes. I was positive I heard crying.

Looking good gives way to feeling good - especially when recovering from the traumatic episode of giving birth. And so, although I was in strict survival mode for the first few weeks, I was diligent about grooming myself. Well, I looked as put together as possible for someone who was making her way through the forty-nine pair of disposable mesh underpants she swiped from Prentice.

My routine consisted of shower, shave, lotion up, blow-dry, deodorant, makeup ... done. It got to the point where Leighton rarely woke up during this spa time, but even if she did, I'd let her fuss a little while I finished up. I needed to take care of mama first. I reasoned that the rules of airplane safety applied in this case. If you are traveling with a child or someone who requires assistance, secure your mask before assisting others. If mama goes down, the whole crew is in trouble. For me, the likelihood of unraveling decreases greatly when I am pulled together to some degree.

And so, I have a tip for those of you that no longer have time to apply a full face of makeup. I have my five-minute makeup routine down - always have. But, when I only have five seconds, I keep the first step of my regimen and ditch the rest. Kiehl's tinted moisturizer is superb. I have never been happy with a tinted moisturizer in the past, but this one is just thick enough, and it's moisturizing without being greasy.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Butter Fingers, December 29, 2009
No formaldehyde. No toluene. No Dibutyl Phthalate. Excuse me?

Dibutyl Phthalate is DBP, another member of the pesky phthalate family. BPA is another. If you don't want it in your baby bottles and nukkas, why put it on your pretty little fingers?

Three Free Nail Polish from Butter London is fabulous without the three, aforementioned, barely spellable toxins. Perfect for preggies, mommies, women in general or anyone with fingers actually.

Butter London Three Free lacquer covers beautifully in one coat (two for good measure with the darker colors) and dries quickly. I don't even use a top coat. Frankly, I no longer have time. There's a reason it's called Butter. I love this nail polish.
Okay, so with this price tag, it is decidedly NOT FREE. However, it lasts and works so very well. Worth it in my opinion. It helps you to be a tad more discerning about the color choice.

Yummy Mummy is my hands-down favorite. It's a taupe, grey, purple-ish color that racks up mad compliments. Plus it's non toxic for your kids' health and yours. Your fingers will smell yummy, not stinky, and with very little effort you can look ... well ... polished.

Moby Wrap Original 100% Cotton Solid Baby Carrier
Moby Wrap Original 100% Cotton Solid Baby Carrier
Price: $29.95 - $112.86

5.0 out of 5 stars What the Fuss? Moby Wrap, December 29, 2009
It looked cozy and comfortable. So, I bought one. Actually, I bought two. Yep. That's my buying criteria - It looked cool and could make life that much more pleasant. I wasn't wrong. In fact, I was spot on in the case of the Moby Wrap baby carrier. I love the Moby, and have introduced many others to it. So far, no one is disappointed. Including Leighton who is passed out in the accompanying picture.

The Moby Wrap is basically one large swath of 100% stretchy, cotton knit - like soft and sturdy tee shirt material. You fold it in half the long way, criss cross it over your shoulders and secure it around your waist. Then, you peel a layer open and tuck your peanut inside. I saw someone on the street with one and I sought it out online.

There are a multitude of ways to carry your wee one in the Moby Wrap - from preemie to thirty-five pounder. Each Moby Wrap thankfully comes with a color photo instruction booklet to illustrate the various holds. And, at [...], it's a bargain compared with the other types of carries that can cost upwards of [...]. Admittedly, my next purchase was going to be the Lillebaby Everywhere Carrier if the Moby didn't work. And Moby is much kinder to your back muscles.

I am enamored with my Moby. When Leighton was fresh from the oven, snugging her into the Moby was a sure fire way to calm her down if she started crying. I could breastfeed her in it without disturbing her. And, I could do other things while holding her if needed. What? No way!

I will admit that wrapping myself in what appeared to be a small hammock was intimidating at first. In fact, I felt that way about a number of my baby accoutrements. It's one thing to register for sweet baby gear and quite another to identify the moment in time each becomes potentially useful. Eventually, you must decide whether you're ready to use a particular piece of your sweet baby gear beyond the walls of your home so as to publicly declare its utility.

I overcame my fear in the midst of Leighton's very first meltdown two days after coming home from the hospital. I pulled out my freshly laundered, kakhi-colored Moby, followed the instructions, and slipped Lei between the fabric folds. Voila! It felt like a giant ACE bandage held my baby close to my body in a most comforting way. She was safe and secure higher up on my chest and her weight was distributed across my entire back. She was quiet and instantly asleep, I was comfortable and ... my hands were free! Damn. It was magical. I kept a nukka in one of the other fabric fold for easy access if she started fussing again.

We used the Moby to take Leighton to restaurants. Okay. Some were technically bars, but they serve great food, we sat out on the patio and we never stayed past sundown with Lei. It folds up flat so it's easy to toss in the bottom of the stroller. It's perfect for air travel too. It won't set off a metal detector and you can skip the car seat with a teeny weeny baby because they're attached to you.

After a few days I had the wrapping routine down to under a minute. I mastered the cradle hold and eventually a few of the others. I highly recommend the moby and it gets more fun as your baby grows. We're going to try the Lotus hold today.

Page: 1 | 2