Profile for John Brooks > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Brooks RSS Feed (Cedar Falls, IA)

Saunders 11017 Recycled Aluminum Redi-Rite Storage Clipboard - Letter Size - 8.5 x 12 inches
Price: $22.88
61 used & new from $20.31

3.0 out of 5 stars For what it is, it is what it is ...., March 2, 2006
Really. I mean that. It is a metal box designed to withstand the stresses of the general contractor. Ya the edges may need "de-burring" and such, but geez - you're most likely a contractor who handles modifications to tools and products all the time. Take your file and the 10 seconds of your life to de-burr the edge. Done. I would rather that then pay 40 to 50 dollars extra for the same metal box de-burred for me.

I have had mine for 4 years and it has done what I asked it to do and for the money have expected nothing more. I didn't even need to de-burr it. It holds the necessary paperwork you need it to. It has a strong clip on top to secure some weighty items if needed. At the end of the day, week, month or whenever I clean it up a bit - straighten out the papers and re-load it ready for more work.

Weber 9859 Premium Gas Grill Cover (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Weber 9859 Premium Gas Grill Cover (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fort Knox of Gas Grill Covers ..., March 2, 2006
If you had a Cadillac Sedan De Ville would you put it in the street while your kid's '71 Pinto was warm and cozy protected by your garage?

If you answered HECK NO! to the above, then why cover your Weber in a generic grill cover from Wal-Mart? You know who you are. I used to be one of you as well, but I was fed-up with chasing my blown away covers across the neighbor's back yards and hated to see the flimsy plastic crumble in my hands after a brutal winter. OH NO, I wasn't going to take it anymore!

The Weber cover is a must have for Weber Gas Grill owners. It is weighty enough to withstand blowing off during gusty days even without the Velcro tightening straps secured. It is tough enough to stand up to Iowa winters (-40 degrees) and the humid summers with out cracking and stays pliable enough to slip it off and on easily! This may be the only other product to last as long as or potentially out-last the actual Weber Gas Grill.

I have had my cover for three years now (the first time ever a cover has lasted me that long) and can say it has been the best accessory purchase I have made for my Weber Gas Grill. VIVA LA WEBER GAS GRILL COVER !!!

Weber 18600 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Barbecue Tool Set (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars How can anyone rate this higher than a 2 ?, October 28, 2004
The only reason I gave it two stars is firstly it looks cool hanging on the grill and secondly it is stainless. Other than that I was dissapointed at how flimsy the tools are and utterly useless. Once I got over the wow factor and used the set I began to question why I bought them. I have since found myself usin my existing kitchen tools and leaving the Weber set hanging on the Weber grill.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2007 8:48 AM PDT

PORTER-CABLE CFFN250N 16-Gauge Finish Nailer 18-Gauge Brad Nailer Compressor Combo Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Unless you are a full time roofer, THIS ONES FOR YOU !!!!, October 28, 2004
Jobs completed to date using this unit and the guns:

crown molding in living room

complete attic remodel (framing to finishing)

car siding on ceiling (350 sqft)

Two 30 square roofing jobs (do not run more than 1 gun from this unit - oh don't get me wrong, it kept up - just ran hard)

replacement windows and trim (20)

baseboard trim and chair rail in dining room

deck and fence repair

and many more ...

Trouble I have experianced ----- ZERO -------

This is an awesome unit for not only the DIY'er but the Pros as well. I have had this combo kit for over two years and it has not failed me in any situation. Runs just as well in the heat of the summer as it does in the cold of winter (think Iowa at minus 40). Solid product at the right price. Buy it!

Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit with 1/4-Inch and 1/2-Inch Collets
Price: Click here to see our price
13 used & new from $177.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's to wood what a hot knife is to butter., October 28, 2004
Every tool has a brand associated with it. For saws'all it's Millwalke. For circular saws it's Makita. For hammers it's Eastland. And for routers, it is BOSCH.

The two routers in one feature with its multi base is a godsend. Easy to operate and switch from plunge to fixed. Power to spare. I pitty the foo who dont use Bosch routers!

BOSTITCH RN46-1 3/4-Inch to 1-3/4-Inch Coil Roofing Nailer
BOSTITCH RN46-1 3/4-Inch to 1-3/4-Inch Coil Roofing Nailer
Price: $195.00
56 used & new from $99.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from this gun ... you have been warned., October 3, 2004
I rented this gun prior to buying to make sure I wanted it. The rental unit worked great. Sure I had to set one or two nails manually and had at least one jam in every coil ... but isn't that the norm? So I purchased this gun from a local hardware store. What a mistake! The Bostich I bought (RN46-1) jammed every 10th nail and I had to set one too many manually. It took a 20 hour job and turned it into a 40 hour job. Needless to say when I returned the gun the first comment I got was, "Well you need to use Bostich nails." What? Are you kidding me? So I took my refund money, came here to Amazon and got the Hitachi NV45AB2, used the same box of coil nails and went to town on a roofing job. 20 coils later and I have yet to jam or manually set any of the nails. Do yourself a favor, stay away from the Bostich.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2014 7:14 PM PST

Hitachi NV45AB2 7/8-Inch to 1-3/4-Inch Roofing Nailer
Hitachi NV45AB2 7/8-Inch to 1-3/4-Inch Roofing Nailer
Price: Click here to see our price
48 used & new from $179.00

5.0 out of 5 stars If I said it once I said it a hundred times.....AWESOME!!!, October 3, 2004
I am a part time handyman and a full time enthusiast of quality tools that do the job right the first time. I read reviews, get advice and use friends tools or rentals prior to purchasing. And prior to buying the Hitachi (what an awesome roofing machine) I rented and was sold on the Bostich RN46-1.

The Bostich I rented performed well. It jammed once every coil and I did have to set some of its nails with a hammer, but all in all a good machine. Then there was the one I purchased. This nailer must have slipped past quality control at Bostich. What a peice of doo. This unit jammed evey 10th nail and I was setting every 5th with a hammer. It took what should have been a 20 hour job and turned it into a 40 hour job. What a shame for a product whoes companies reputation for its nailer is very high. So it was at this point I went the path of the Hitachi.

I have only seen and used one other Hitachi in my travels and that was a framing gun. I was impressed with its balance, weight and perfomance. It was this experiance a few years ago and the reviews here on Amazon that led me to the coil roofing nailer NV45AB2.

All I can say is AWESOME! TOTALLY AWESOME (I am a child of the 80's)!! I took the gun out of the box, gave it a few drops of oil and went to town on a roof repair. I used 5 full coils of nails and did not have one jam nor did I have to set any of the nails manually. AWESOME!!! I can't say it enough. Had I gone this route to begin with I would have saved 20 hours on my original job and hundreds of dallars. And the price!!! Amazon has the best price in town ($385 at Home Depot and $325 at Lowes).

Do yourself a favor and buy the Hitachi. Don't let the Bostich name and their market saturation get the best of you. If you want quality and longevity out of your tools, go with Hitachi. AWESOME!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 9:02 AM PST