Profile for K. Folsom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Folsom RSS Feed (USA)

Brightech - BrightPlay Home HD™ Bluetooth 4.0 Music Receiver / Adapter with apt-X Technology for CD Quality Sound - Adds Bluetooth Functionality to Non-Bluetooth Sound Systems. Stream Music with Startling Clarity from your Mobile Device to Speakers and Stereos - Connect 2 Devices Simultaneously and Have A DJ Battle with a Friend!
Offered by Brightech™
Price: $80.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Little Device I Use Every Day, February 7, 2014
I have my entire music collection on my Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition's 64GB microSDXC card and use an app I wrote to listen to music via Bluetooth headphones at work and my Bluetooth-enabled stereo in my car. The BrightPlay device completes the list of locations I can easily get to my collection. I plugged it into a spare input on my receiver and can now pick up listening to a playlist when I get home where I left off at work or in my car. I've had no dropouts and find it easy to enable and disable the Bluetooth connection to the device on my phone when I want to use a Bluetooth headset with my phone. I keep the BrightPlay receiver powered up all the time, using the USB power output to feed another piece of my home stereo gear.

I highly recommend the receiver.

Phiaton PS 210 BTNC Bluetooth 3.0 Active Noise Cancelling Stereo Earphones with Mic
Price: $129.00
11 used & new from $109.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed with these earphones after 10 months use, August 31, 2013
I purchased the Phiaton PS 210 BTNC earphones just after they came out, based on solid reviews, back in October, 2012. They are still going strong and working great. I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4, which includes Bluetooth 4.0 and implementation of the aptX enhanced Bluetooth profile. The Phiaton's support aptX and, between this and the quality of the S4's audio, the sound quality via the Phiaton's is at least on par with what I've heard via good-quality wired headphones. That's saying a lot, since most my Bluetooth listening in the past has been a compromise, given the nature of how Bluetooth compresses the audio stream.

So if you're looking for a Bluetooth headset primarily based on audio quality for music, I'd highly recommend these. They are a compromise for use as a phone headset, in that the microphone is on the main body of the unit, which isn't easy to keep close to your mouth. Keep that in mind if you're looking for easy use as a phone headset.

SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Memory Card (Bulk Package)
SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Memory Card (Bulk Package)
Offered by SHAHAR
Price: $15.30
43 used & new from $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Working Great in Nexus One, Better than Class 2 Performance, October 14, 2010
I've been impressed with the Sandisk 32GB Class 2 microSDHC card so far. I bought it with bulk packaging, which means it came in a small plastic clam shell case slipped into a little plastic envelope. There were no included adapters.

I'm using the card in my Android Nexus One cellphone. I've used a benchmark app on the phone to gauge performance of the card, and it is doing about 5MB/sec writes and 9MB/sec reads. This is with settings at 10MB test data size and 8KB write unit size. I saw similar write performance when the card was mounted on my PC via a USB 2.0 card adapter. These numbers indicate it's performing somewhat better than the minimum guaranteed for Class 4 cards, which is great. I'm coming from a 16GB Class 6 card and haven't noticed any performance hits, so far.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2012 5:17 AM PST

Acer Aspire One AOA150-1447 8.9-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery) Sapphire Blue
4 used & new from $169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Netbook--Highly Recommended!, December 10, 2008
I purchased the Acer Aspire One (AAO) from Amazon.com and have been using it for about a month. It's the blue one with the 160GB hard drive, 6-cell battery and Windows XP Home. My quick summary is that I am very impressed with the AAO and would not trade it for any of the other netbooks currently on the market. It's not perfect, but it fits my needs quite well.

First, keep in mind that the AAO is a netbook with an 8.9" screen. If this is a size you're comfortable with, then the AAO may be for you. If you're more comfortable with a larger size, I'd suggest looking at the netbooks with a 10" screen. From my research, the Samsung NC10 is the best of the current crop of 10" netbooks.

On to the pluses and minuses for the AAO. Here's a list, for easy reading:

Pluses

* The keyboard is great, with nice and large Enter and Right Shift keys. I have fairly large hands and can touch type on it nearly as quickly as a full-sized keyboard. My favorite laptop keyboards have always been the ones on the IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads, and this one reminds me a lot of those.
* Two card readers, with one dedicated SD reader with the card sitting nearly flush with the case. This means you can leave a card in the SD slot at all times without it getting in the way and still have another slot for intermittent use.
* Nice, bright, clear screen. It is glossy, but that doesn't bother me and does enhance contrast.
* Large black bezel around the screen. That may seem like a minus, but it makes the netbook just large enough to allow for the wonderful keyboard.
* The unit feels solidly built, without creaks or groans when lifted by a corner.
* Around five hours of battery life with Wi-Fi on, brightness at about 50%.

Minuses

* Screen brightness cannot be brought down below 50% on many units.
* No built-in Bluetooth.
* Touchpad buttons to left and right of the pad, instead of below as on larger laptops.
* Hard to upgrade the memory, since it means dis-assembling the unit. And the max upgrade is to 1.5 GB.
* Fan noise noticeable in a quiet room.
* Shiny case top picks up fingerprints very easily.

On the minuses, they're pretty minor. The 50% screen brightness is about what you want for normal usage in daylight or a lighted room. It's only really a pain when using it at night. Bluetooth micro-adapters can be had for just a few dollars, if you need Bluetooth. And I hardly ever use the touchpad buttons because of the ability to configure the touchpad with many tap functions that do the same thing as the buttons. On top of that, there's a neat utility available on the Web that allows you to add two-finger scroll and three-finger tapping to the touchpad, which gives you even more configuration options. The fan on my unit is a bit louder than I'd like. To get around this, I'm using a utility I found on the Web to control when the fan comes on. So now, it only comes on if I'm really pushing the AAO. For normal surfing and document editing, it doesn't come on at all. Finally, yes, it is difficult to upgrade the memory. But I'd argue that, for most people, staying with 1GB is a good thing, since it means that going into and out of hibernation is faster. The more memory you have, the larger the file that hibernation will be writing and reading each time you go into or come out of it. I like having the AAO come out of hibernation quickly. It makes it much more available for quick usage when out and about.

Hopefully, the above information will help those of you looking for a netbook in making a decision. Good luck!