Profile for A. Fondacaro > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 59

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Fondacaro "NiaTonyF" RSS Feed (Silverdale, WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Garcinia Cambogia Ultra Pure Extract - 800 mg Caps - Powerful Appetite Suppressant - Improves Attitude So You Can Stick To Your Exercise & Weight Loss Program - One of the Most Effective Fat Burner Carb Blocker Weight Loss Supplement Product Available
Offered by R&D Products
Price: $14.78
2 used & new from $14.78

3.0 out of 5 stars it made my eczema act up! I used another ..., August 26, 2014
it made my eczema act up! I used another brand and had no problem w it but they stopped selling it so i went for Omega Soul. About a week into using it my skin broke out. I have crazy sensitive skin and it's the only thing i changed in my routine. The weight loss was apparent but it wasn't worth the skin issue.

Frankincense & Myrrh 8 Ounce Soy Candle Is a Jar w/ Lid By Soyworx
Frankincense & Myrrh 8 Ounce Soy Candle Is a Jar w/ Lid By Soyworx
Offered by Soyworx
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Smells good...for a Citrus candle., August 26, 2014
Generally a good candle. They shipped it quickly. The Frankincense & Myrrh fragrance wasn't very... accurate. it smells more like a citrus candle which i wasn't looking for. Its a well made candle. I'm just disappointed with the fragrance. Wish it was REALLY frankincense & Myrrh. I'm not returning bc it's generally a good candle. My search of a pure frankincense and myrrh candle continues...

Medline Curad cast protector for adult leg - 1 Ea
Medline Curad cast protector for adult leg - 1 Ea
Offered by GenieCure
Price: $5.24
10 used & new from $5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works., May 20, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised at how well these work. The cast can be rough on the plastic so place a small towel in the bottom before covering your cast. I keep an extra in my purse in case I get caught in the rain.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable!, May 20, 2014
Allowed me to return to work even with a non-weight bearing cast. The basket saves a lot of extra trips.

Linksys N900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router with Gigabit & USB Ports, Smart Wi-Fi App Enabled to Control Your Network from Anywhere (EA4500)
Price: Click here to see our price
96 used & new from $22.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, February 2, 2014
I bought this wireless router about six months ago to replace an older Cisco router that had worked flawlessly for years with no issues. Long story short, this router sucks. It has all the features that a basic home user will love, such as a guided set up process and a flashy online interface. I do like the idea of being able to check the status of my router from the cloud and see what devices are connected. But that's where my love of this thing stops.

First and foremost, it's not fast enough. My old wireless router had no issues running HD streams from Netflix to my PS3 all day. This router can barely manage 720p resolution. During a two-hour movie, it'll play at least 45 minutes of standard definition (360-480p). The same issue exists with Amazon Instant Video, Hulu and HBO Go. I finally moved it from our bedroom to the living room and hard wired our PS3 and smart TV. Speeds are a lot faster, but even HBO Go will play in standard definition for a while on the wire. Don't know if that's an issue with the service or this router. If you're a videophile like me, who loves HD and runs 80% of his video entertainment from online sources, this router will leave you wanting.

Second, you'll have to reset this router at least once a day. When I first set it up, I was resetting it upwards of four times a day. It seems like it's finally "broken in" (major head-scratcher there), but there's still problems. I've tried re-installing the firmware, adjusting network settings, resetting it completely... nothing will get this thing to work flawlessly without needing some attention once a day. I want a router, not another pet.

Third, as of this review it is not compatible with DD WRT software, which is the ONE THING that made my other router work perfectly for so long. If you must buy Cisco, buy the E4200 model, download and install DD WRT firmware, and congratulate yourself for being smart enough to check compatibility before you bought like I didn't.

So I'm now torn between chucking this and buying the E4200, or something from NetGear or Belkin, etc. So save yourself a lot of time, frustration, and money, and avoid this thing. It does some things right, but the key features of a good wireless router (speed, fidelity, reliability) it lacks completely.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 4:24 PM PST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A great alternative for the hospital gowns, May 19, 2013
I'll start this review by stating I haven't worn it to the hospital yet, but there's a lot of good things to talk about beforehand. I bought the gown simply because I'm trying to avoid wearing the hospital gowns that don't really wear so well. My first time around I had to wear two gowns, one backward and one normal, to get full coverage. Right away you can tell this gown is superior. It has plenty of room and it's easy to put on. My pre-pregnancy size is 18-20 and got the xxl. Some reviews have stated that it isn't hospital accessible, but if you wear the gown with the buttons in the front, you have plenty of access for the fetal monitoring leads, and the sleeve unbuttons all the way for the IV. ( ill try and post my pics of it). I didn't have an epidural so I didn't need my back exposed the first time around. And I'm not getting one this time.

It was a little stiff out of the bag, but I put it in the wash and tumbled dried it on low heat for about 5 min to get a little softness with a fabric softener sheet. The instructions say not to, but it can take the dryer. Its 100% cotton and will wrinkle, so while it was still damp I put a warm iron to it just to get rid of the wrinkles. Afterwards it was perfectly comfortable (I used Dreft and dried it w a free and clear bounce dryer sheet since I know the baby will be in close contact with it.)

Like I said, I haven't worn it to the hospital yet, so I can only give it 4 stars. But based on what I experienced with my first delivery, I don't forsee any problems. I don't foresee it getting too mucked up because I ended up delivering in my birthday suit the first time around. Overall I highly recommend this gown as a replacement for the hospital gowns. You definitely deserve to be comfortable during the delivery, and I feel great with this.

Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3
Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $10.05
221 used & new from $1.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Only half-perfect, June 1, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I should preface everything I'm about to say by stating this is the first GT game I've ever owned or played. I've always been a consistent Need for Speed fan until this game came out, and I was completely won over by the graphics, the car selection, the simulated real-world tracks, and the promise that it was a true-to-life, detail-oriented driving simulator that real life racers used to hone their skills during the off-season.

Let's be honest; calling something "The Real Driving Simulator" is a lot in which to live up. That being said, this game does a pretty good job at conveying, in video game terms, what it's like to race high-end supercars and actual racing machines. I appreciate that understeer and oversteer aren't just a function of how fast you're going as it usually is in other racing games. Get on the throttle too soon exiting a corner in a Ferrari 458 with the traction control turned off, and you'll spin out like a top. Try to throw a Murcielago SVT into a corner too late or with too much angle and you'll end up facing the other way in a cloud of smoke. Cars are rated with Performance Points, which isn't to say that one car with more points does everything better than a car with less points, just that it will perform better overall, so car knowledge helps you here too when it comes to choosing what to take into battle. I really appreciate that last one... makes me feel like the developers targeted this game towards real racing fans, not just weekend boy-racer types who've never heard of Sebastian Loeb or Lewis Hamilton.

The graphics are absolutely stellar... most of the time. The premium cars look stunning, to the point where you marvel at the fact that digital media can come so close to the real thing. Racetracks too (as they fly past) are (again, mostly) given a proper treatment, down to fissures in the pavement. Look a little closely though and you'll see cut-and-paste race fans cycling through the same movements, and some racetracks are, like the cars, more rendered and refined than others. Standard cars seem a bit PS2 at first, and with many of them you can't get the in-car view while racing, but the huge selection makes up for that. How huge? My first car was a late-80's Honda Accord. It was totaled in 1999. And now it's back in GT5. In the same color.

The Special Events are a great feature, where you can work on your skills, learn the tracks, and get used to how different cars feel. You'll also qualify for licenses in order to race higher-level events, another nice feature that mimics real life. There are some annoyances here. The first Top Gear event is racing old VW Vans around the track at 50 mph. Never have I been more bored with anything related to Top Gear. It makes me wonder if Andy Wilman had any input into that.

There are some bad points here. Yes the damage feature is a joke and collisions all sound the same, whether at 20 mph or 200 mph (a dull, hollow thud) as everyone else has said here.

The AI can be absolutely infuriating sometimes, especially during special events where a collision will disqualify you, regardless of whether or not you're the crasher, or the crashee. The AI cars are planted to the road, so if you plan on trying to nudge someone out of the way, better make sure you have the racing line, otherwise you'll end up nose into a wall and another 10 seconds behind the race leader. I've also experimented by planting my car directly on the race line, and watched as the computer nailed me again and again. It's like you're not even there.

The B-Spec events are, in a word, rubbish. On paper it sounds great: Step into the role of racing team manager and coach a driver into racing glory. Except when you get there you only have four commands (speed up, slow down, maintain pace, execute passing maneuver). I'm pretty sure Christian Horner has more to say to Sebastian Vettel in the course of a race; "Woah there Sebastian, a little too rowdy over those curbs. Why don't you slow down?" And honestly, if you had the choice between doing the racing yourself, or coaching someone, which would you pick? Really hope this feature disappears in GT6.

There are noticeable absences from the car list. Porsche is nowhere to be found, or at least I haven't found it yet. It's not like that's a small name you can overlook. Porsche make, arguably, some of the best-handling cars on the road, but no 911 GT3, no Carrera GT, not even the Boxster. Koenigsegg is missing too, as is the Caparo T1 and the Ariel Atom. I also noticed odd choices, like including a Pontiac Vibe, but not a Pontiac G8. Again, which would you choose?

Some of the driving, too, is infuriating. Some cars, unless you're running lots of down force and racing tyres, will soar off the road at the slightest hint of braking. The Top Gear Lotus Elise race is needlessly impossible, and many times all you have to do is show up to the race with the highest-powered machine and you'll sail off into the distance, even if you drive like crap.

All in all though, despite some of these problems, it is pretty easy to lose yourself in the game. When you get used to the controls and learn the tracks, the game does reward you, especially if you're the type who is always pulling a last lap to see if you can just shave off that extra tenth of a second. I've found that track familiarization is the best tool in your box, and thankfully the game lets you run about 95% of the tracks even without having won any races.

A good, solid racing game with amazing looks and thoughtful driving dynamics, but I'm definitely looking forward to GT6.

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Widescreen Edition)
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Peter Sallis
Price: $4.89
192 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars How do you make clay rabbits float?, January 17, 2006
...and tumble, and turn, and suspend in mid-air like a lithe feather? I stared in awe at this, wondering how they could have possibly done that. Imagine the camerawork involved. It's possible they could have simply plugged an image into a computer and manipulated it with their CGI programs, but I choose to remain blissfully ignorant of the whole process. For once I'm so enamored that I don't want to know how they did it.

When you get the DVD, which you will because it is that brilliant, you have to pause it at some point and look at a character's face up-close. What are you looking for? Fingerprints. The fingerprints of the claymation artists who move the figurines one frame at a time. These people deserve medals for bravery, or patience, or madness. Heck all three!

I have to confess at this point that I'm a Wallace & Gromit poser; but I do know what a gromit is because I work on my own cars, you have to give me that. I've never seen anything else with Wallace & Gromit except "Curse of the Were-Rabbit." Lord help me, I love them both. It's such a good-natured, joyful little film, and it will satisfy you on just about every level you can think of. You will be entertained, you will laugh, you will feel pathos, you will care about the characters, and you will find some kind of itching deep down where you might wonder about your own world. Ah ha! What a good movie should do!

The plot is thus; Wallace and his trusty sidekick dog Gromit are independent pest removers (read; rabbits), who go about the town removing the little bushy-tailed pests from the gardens of the neighborhood. Business is good; the annual Vegetable Show is coming up, and everyone wants to be prepared. One night, a huge Were-Rabbit thunders through town, uproots everyones' gardens, and Wallace & Gromit catch heat because they weren't around to stop it.

In the meantime, Lady Tottington's grounds have been overrun with rabbits as well, suddenly. She hires Wallace and Gromit to come remove them, but not before encountering Victor Quartermaine, whose solution to the problem is to shoot them all one by one. Wallace's approach is capture and relocation, a much more humane strategy. Quartermaine turns his nose up at the idea, and so would only the hardest-hearted person in the audience.

Now just wait a minute. Where are the explosions? Where is the altruistic message? Where is the protagonist with an agonizing past? Where is the sexy heroine who gives it her all? Where are the multi-billion dollar effects that blow you out of your seat? Where are the Yen Wo Ping choreographed fights? Where oh where are the beautiful actors and actresses to strut about the screen flashing their beauty at us from such lofty heights?

You get the idea. You get none of that. In fact, you'll be amazed at how much fun you can have when your senses aren't being bombarded at every moment with some ideal form of beauty, some super-violent fist-fight, or some hair-brained CGI effect that takes up the entire shot.

And you'll also be amazed at how easily it all puts a smile on your face. You see, I think this movie is so magnificent, so touching, so simple and refreshing, that if you don't come away from it feeling light-hearted and hopeful, then you truly are a Morlock. Go hang with Victor Quartermaine.

The First Book of Baritone/Bass Solos
The First Book of Baritone/Bass Solos
by Hal Leonard Corp.
Price: $10.39
61 used & new from $4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Obviously not intended for the amateur singer, January 1, 2006
This book and others like it (First Book of Tenor Solos, Soprano Solos, etc...) are not book intended to teach singing to people who have never had any professional training. The previous reviews of this book on Amazon have unfairly deemed this book as being too complicated for people who do not know how to read sheet music.

There are a wealth of resources for those who cannot read sheet music, or who do not intend to be professional singers. They should not buy this book, or any book in the series.

What this book is intended for is for singers who are already involved in professional vocal training or who intend to enter professional training. It requires that you be able to read music, which is like knowing how to walk for humans. It is intended to expand ones repertoire for auditions, and for possible gigs as a trained singer.

That being said, this is an excellent book to consider buying if you are a beginning bassist/baritone and need help finding songs to sing at auditions or recitals. The repertoire for bassists is limited in contrast with the wealth of arias and oratorios for tenors and sopranos (the "preferred" voice if you ask me). But Boytim does a very good job of going through the library of solos and finding ones that are basic enough to give one a chance to focus on pitch, intonation and rhythm, but challenging to an extent that you'll expand your range and be able to work on sight-reading.

Again, do not buy this book if you have never had any training in music or in singing because it is not intended for you. Also, do not malign this book because you bought it anyway and it is too complicated for you.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Widescreen Edition)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Bill Bailey
Price: $6.58
120 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, considering how unreadable the book is, November 24, 2005
I'm sure a Douglas Adams devotee will tell me that I'm completely wrong about everything I'm about to say about "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." From a literary standpoint, it's not even a blip on the map. The writing is flat-out rubbish, the jokes are mild cheddar, the exchanges can be witty occasionally, and all the dialogue has the same kind of vernacular, where everything is said in an over-developed, verbose, drawn out method. It's hard for characters to achieve any kind of roundness when they stay pretty much the same throughout the whole of the narrative. I mean really, what's the point?

Happily, it seems as though the writers for the movie have realized this and given these characters direction. Instead of just being tour guides through Douglas Adams' off-the-wall interpretations of the meaning of life, we become emotionally invested in these characters in the film, albeit through the ready-made love interest angle. But so what? So much of the movie is rich in detail, delightful to look at, and the humor has been knocked up a few notches. Mos Def was a perfect choice for Ford, and the honesty that Martin Freeman gives to Arthur Dent is touching when he's feeling defeated. Hilarious when he's dead-panning. I wish Bill Nighy would have been given more time, but I always feel that way about Bill Nighy.

The story is rather improbable; Arthur Dent wakes up one morning to find bulldozers poised outside his house, ready to make short work of everything he owns. "You gotta build by-passes!" Strangely enough, this is a microcosm for the planned demolition of Earth, and shortly after Arthur's house gets knocked over, Vogon ships hover in orbit around Earth, ready to blip it out of existence.

He is rescued by his friend Ford, who writes for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a repository of interstellar knowledge and facts. Much of the story exists merely to give voice to the entries in the book, particularily those dealing with theology and physics. Incidentally, if you know any physicists, you will know that when put together, they form a sub-culture so distinct and annoying, that you would like to stuff them in a cannon, and shoot them into the sun.

Eventually Arthur and Ford end up on the Starship Heart of Gold alongside Trillian (an old flame), Zaphod Beeblebrox (President of the Galaxy), and Marvin, a depressed-robot voiced by Professor Snape. They ride off to the planet Magrathea to consult a giant computer for the answer to life, the universe and everything. Incidentally, that gives you some idea as to how unique this world is. Typically the answers to life are given by age-old monks, people like Yoda, who mix both biting criticism with profound wisdom. When consulted, the computer yawns and could care less. That's brilliant. It even calls Zaphod stupid.

It was a stroke of genius to not make the Vogons CGI animated atrocities. It could have been easy to have gone totally Jar-Jar Bink on the whole operation and turned over the Vogons to the computer illustrators. But somehow, they chose against this, which is nothing short of a cinematic miracle. When you see the Vogons, you can smell them. They're fat lips are chapped and cracking. Their eyes are blood-shot and beady. The teeth... my God the teeth. Seriously, I think the whole movie industry has gone CGI mad lately, and it's a relief to actually look at something fantastical on the screen and it's real. When it's real, it has the impact of a human walking into the room, something you can sink your teeth and other senses into. When it's CGI, all you can think of is, "Wow, it looks ALMOST entirely real!"

The movie works because you feel as though the narrative in the film is moving forward, with Arthur discovering the truth about the creation of the planet as well as his love for Trillian. Even when it goes sideways a bit and we meet Humma Kavula, a preacher for what is apparently the First Church of the Big Giant Nose. This is done by John Malkovich, who was vastly underused in my opinion. This slows down the movie a bit, but immediately things pick up again when Vogons track them down, capture Trillian, and shoot at nothing.

Then the rescue sequence, which is brilliant as well because there's no guns blazing, no big chase, no over-the-top explosions or action sequences. It involves waiting in line, filling out a form, and then waiting again.

Again, Martin Freeman's performance has a lot to do with why this film is successful because he truly does sell the character well. It would have been too easy to give it to someone like Jim Carrey and watch him ham it up with hideously overdone faces, wisecracks on the side, and his usual slapstick physicality. Who can relate to that?

I'm also in love with the British way of doing science fiction. The Vogon ships are grimy, gritty, dull and nasty. In America, it would have been all spotless set-pieces, overamped CGI, and too much focus on the "gee wow!" side of things. This is a universe you can reach out and touch.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6