Profile for Kurt G. Schumacher > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 363

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kurt G. Schumacher "Grey" RSS Feed (Broomfield, CO USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kensington KP400 Switchable Bluetooth Keyboard for Windows PC, iPad or Android Tablets and iPhone or Android Smartphones (K72322US)
Price: $57.10
29 used & new from $55.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, exceot for one thing, March 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an adequate keyboard. The keys have a nice feel, and it's quiet. The big feature, of course, is the ability to switch between USB and Bluetooth connection, so you can use it with a PC and a phone or tablet at the same time. The KP400 does this extremely well. Press Ctrl-1 and it switches between USB and Bluetooth.

But there's one problem. I spend a lot of time in Photoshop, and Ctrl-1 is "View > 100%" in Photoshop. When using the KP400, you lose that Photoshop function. And there doesn't appear to be a way to assign a different key to the switch function on the keyboard. I'm not a hardware engineer, but I have to wonder if it wouldn't be possible to put a dedicated key or physical switch on the keyboard to do the USB/Bluetooth switch.

So the KP400 loses a star for messing with Photoshop. If you don't use Photoshop or another application that needs the Ctrl-1 key, this is a great keyboard. Otherwise it will be annoying at times. Me, I'll probably be using it only with my phone and tablet.

Nuwati Herbals Howling Wolf Tea, 4 Ounces
Nuwati Herbals Howling Wolf Tea, 4 Ounces
Offered by Gourmet Expressions
Price: $20.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for sore throats!, February 24, 2015
My wife and I have "The Cold That's Going Around", and the symptom of the day was congestion and sore throats. I pulled this out of the pantry and brewed up a mug. It did help my throat, but I was amazed to find that it almost completely cleared my sinuses! So I made some for my wife, who had been coughing almost non-stop all day. It worked for her too. It's about 8 hours later, and I'm still pretty clear, But she's got it worse than I do, so I just made her another mug before bedtime.

This is a winner. I'm going to make sure wer've always got a bottle on hand for cold season!

Jerry Baird's Gourmet Seasonings Jalapeno Sizzling Salt, No MSG, 4.8 Ounce
Jerry Baird's Gourmet Seasonings Jalapeno Sizzling Salt, No MSG, 4.8 Ounce
Price: $5.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but needs more jalapeno, February 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This seasoning is okay, but my wife and I both think it needs less salt and more jalapeno. It's not nearly hot enough for her. I think the heat level is okay, but there's way too much salt for my taste. I mostly use it on microwave popcorn.

Classic Brands CPAP Contour Memory Foam Pillow for Sleep Apnea
Classic Brands CPAP Contour Memory Foam Pillow for Sleep Apnea

4.0 out of 5 stars Niice CPAP pillow, February 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pillow works pretty well. It's firmer than what I usually use, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I was concerned that the space for the mask wouldn't have enough room, because I use a full face mask. But it worked all right. One thing I have to wonder about though. In order to fit your mask in the space, your head has to be right at the edge of the pillow. So why do you need a pillow that's this wide? Seems like this pillow could be at least 1/3 smaller and still be perfectly usable.

Body Harvest (The Outer Reaches)
Body Harvest (The Outer Reaches)
Price: $9.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice mystery with an unusual twist, December 16, 2014
This is a good mystery with an unusual science fiction twist. About six hundred thousand years ago one of our ancestors, Homo Erectus, evolved into two human species: the 'majors' and the 'outers'. Unlike most of the human species on our planet (and there have been a lot of them; see The Last Human: A Guide to Twenty-Two Species of Extinct Humans), both species still exist. So this is an alternative "present" with two types of humans living together.

Troy and Lexi are cops and have just become partners. Troy is a 'major'. They are more like Homo Sapiens (that's us). They tend to be larger physically, have better eyesight, and have a more spiritual outlook on life. Lexi is an 'outer'. Outers are generally more intelligent, they eat insects instead of cows, and rely on observable science more than faith. There are other differences that you'll find in the story.

On their first case together, Troy and Lexi find a body with some missing parts. The location turns out to be a "body dump", and other mutilated bodies are found. And the game is afoot.

Okay, this is a "buddy cop" plot, with two unlike characters getting paired up, having to learn how to work with each other, and discovering each others' quirks and skills. You've seen it before in other books, movies and TV shows. I couldn't help thinking of the "Alien Nation" movies and TV series. If you like that kind of story, you're probably going to enjoy "Body Harvest".

This is an easy read. The writing style is good, the story moves along nicely. The author is British, so if you're American you might have to adjust a bit. (A "trolly" is a shopping cart, not those quaint public transportation vehicles in San Francisco.) Fortunately, I watch a lot of British TV shows so I knew most of the terminology. One expression I hadn't come across before was "give it some welly", and I had to look it up. It's apparently a farming term; farmers wear Wellington Boots (wellies), and when they drive a tractor they sometimes have to "give it a bit of welly"... hit the accelerator, move it along. Like "putting the pedal to the metal". There, I've saved you a Google lookup. You're welcome.

I generally prefer action thrillers to procedural mysteries, but I really enjoyed this book and look forward to further cases with Troy and Lexi.

(And I just have to share this with you because I'm always amused when someone gets a saying completely wrong. I had a friend who thought the phrase was "putting the petal to the medal". They though it came from the Vietnam War era in the 1970's when protesters would walk up to soldiers and try to give them flowers.)

SilverStone Microwave Cookware 3.4-Quart Microwave Pressure Cooker, Chili Red
SilverStone Microwave Cookware 3.4-Quart Microwave Pressure Cooker, Chili Red
Offered by Su Casa
Price: $58.99
12 used & new from $40.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but you may need to adjust cook times, December 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This little pressure cooker works pretty well, but you may need to tinker with the recipes. I've made several of the recipes that came with it, and most of them came out fine. The only one that didn't do so well was a Mexican rice and beans recipe.

I adjusted the cook times based on my microwave power, which said I should subtract 10% from the time in the recipe. When I did that the rice was undercooked. I nuked it for a few more minutes and it was better, but still pretty "al dente". I need to re-read the instruction book to see if altitude could be a factor (we're in Denver) and further adjustments would be needed to account for that.

Overall, this cooker is very easy to use, and extremely easy to clean. And eventually I'll figure out the right formula to make rice come out right!

The Doubt Factory
The Doubt Factory
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Paolo, what have you done?, December 7, 2014
This review is from: The Doubt Factory (Kindle Edition)
I have liked Paolo Bacigalupi's previous novels. This one left me wondering what he was thinking. It reads like it was written by someone else. Maybe a younger Paolo. Maybe this is an early work that's been sitting in the bottom of a drawer for a long time, and was taken out, updated a bit, and tossed to the publisher. Whatever the case, it just isn't up to the standard of Bacigalupi's previous books.

I found the characters to be flat and uninteresting, the plot unoriginal and slow-moving, and the writing stilted and repetitive. I decided at one point that I would start a drinking game and take a shot every time someone mentioned Stockholm syndrome. But that wouldn't have gotten me wasted enough to make it through the novel. So I changed it to every time someone was talking... and their voice trailed off.

Don't waste your time and money on this. Read (or re-read) The Windup Girl instead.

Perfect Fitness Resistance Band Kit
Perfect Fitness Resistance Band Kit
Price: $19.77
10 used & new from $14.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice portable gym, December 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Perfect Fitness Resistance Band Kit is a great portable gym. It consists of two rubber bands; a set of handles that attach easily to the bands; an anchor that allows the bands to be used on any door; and a mesh bag to hold everything.

I went to the manufacturer's website and downloaded a PDF file of workouts. I realized that I have a couple of their other products, the Multi-Gym and Perfect Pushup, so I downloaded the PDFs for those too.

The system is dead simple to use. Loop the handles through the band and you're ready to go. Use freestanding, or close the door on the anchor and loop the bands through it. And it's small enough to toss in a suitcase if you're going on a trip so you don't have to leave your workout at home.

Olympia Tools 85-188 Collapsible Service Cart
Olympia Tools 85-188 Collapsible Service Cart
Price: $89.97
2 used & new from $89.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clever folding cart, December 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a clever utility cart that folds up to practically nothing. It's easy to unfold and lock into place, and equally easy to collapse again. It's found a number of uses around the house, and we also use it when we have a lot of shipments to take to the Post Office.

It's very "functional" in appearance, so it's not really suitable for serving High Tea. It's a workhorse, and build for it.

If you need an occasional rolling cart that hides away easily, this is the one.

TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones - Retail Packaging - Black
TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $60.27
15 used & new from $51.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on arrival, November 21, 2014
Unpacked it, plugged it in, put my phone on it. The LED blinked green four times and went out. Phone did not show that it was charging. Sending it back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2014 2:30 PM PST