Profile for My Cat's Name Is Bernie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 84

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

My Cat's Name Is Bernie RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Hanger Project Travel Shoe Tree - M
Hanger Project Travel Shoe Tree - M
Offered by Kirby Allison's Hanger Project
Price: $34.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice light weight shoe trees, February 23, 2015
This review is from: Hanger Project Travel Shoe Tree
I got these shoe trees for travelling light, and they certainly are light weight. My shoes are 8.5 C, and the medium size that was recommended fits fine. The adjustment wheels are easy to turn and work well. The shoe trees bend to a right angle making it easy to get them in and out of the shoes.

My only complaint is that the instep is very high, so I don't want to overly tighten the shoe tree for fear of stretching my shoes out of shape.

I've bought other things from Hanger Project before, and they sell high quality (albeit expensive) gear. It's great that they are with Amazon Prime, so I don't have to pay any shipping charges.

Strong 3/16" 5mm Flat Shoe, Boot Laces Black 59" - 150cm
Strong 3/16" 5mm Flat Shoe, Boot Laces Black 59" - 150cm
Offered by TZ Laces Ltd
Price: $8.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Red Wing Beckman boots, December 25, 2014
It's hard to find waxed boot laces, so I was happy to find these. I got these laces in 150cm/59" for my Red Wing Beckman boots. I found the original Red Wing 48" laces were too short, and the length of these is perfect. These laces are not as heavily waxed as Red Wing's, and they don't look like they will be as durable as Red Wing's. However, they are waxed enough to provide good grip while lacing up my boots. My TZ Laces are brand new, so I can't say how long they will last.

Replacement Battery For 1X3-2/3AA/C CONNECTOR - NiMH 3.6V 600mAh WANDERER
Replacement Battery For 1X3-2/3AA/C CONNECTOR - NiMH 3.6V 600mAh WANDERER
Offered by Beiter DC Power
Price: $8.80
5 used & new from $4.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Grundig FR250, December 18, 2014
Works great in my Grundig FR250 magneto/crank-powered radio. Fits perfectly, and the radio started playing with just a few turns of the crank. The battery received was marked 750mAh instead of the spec'ed 600; so much the better!

Anker® 14W Dual-Port Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology
Anker® 14W Dual-Port Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $99.99
9 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with iPhone and iPad Air in direct sun, December 14, 2014
I just had a big rain storm which resulted in a lengthy power outage at my house. I learned how fast my iPhone and iPad will discharge when in heavy use with cellular data. Since I live in earthquake country, I decided to get this charger for future emergency use.

The charger has a very clever design. It folds up to the size of a notebook when not in use. It is lightweight, and feels very solid. It only supports USB output, but that's all I need. Adapters are available to allow it to charge other types of devices.

I first tried the charger on a cloudy, foggy, day. It supplied enough power to wake my iPhone up from sleep, but my phone displayed the "accessory may not be supported" message, and the charging indicator did not turn on.

The following morning, I tried the charger in direct sunlight. Even though it was early in the morning with the sun low in the sky, and the charger lying flat at an oblique angle to the sun's rays, it worked fine. It was able to charge my iPhone (5W) and my iPad Air (10W) with no problems.

My only issue with the charger is that the velcro strip that holds the USB connector compartment closed was not sewed on completely. This can be easily fixed with a needle and thread, and is not worth the trouble of exchanging the charger.

I am very happy with this charger, and I now feel like I am ready for the next "big one".

OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 6 Case, Retail Packaging, Black
OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 6 Case, Retail Packaging, Black
Price: $44.96
19 used & new from $21.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Buttons hard to press but Touch ID works with a bit of extra effort., October 9, 2014
I chose this case because it is one of the few rugged cases with a belt clip.

It is true that the volume and standby buttons are hard to press, but that doesn't bother me since I seldom use them.

There is a slight gap between the screen protector and the screen, but it has zero impact on my ability to tap icons or keys, or to swipe. I wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been mentioned in other reviews.

I believe that the reason so many people had problems with Touch ID is because the home button is recessed deeply inside the case, making it hard for a wide enough area of your finger tip to contact it, especially the thumb. I recorded my fingerprint using the tip of my thumb instead of the central area. Since I only use my thumb, I recorded it multiple times using slightly different areas of the tip of my thumb. This solved the problem, and I now get reliable Touch ID operation
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2014 1:09 AM PDT

Honeywell TH9320WF5003 WiFi 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat
Honeywell TH9320WF5003 WiFi 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat
Price: $195.75
24 used & new from $139.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great temperature control, outdoor temperature useless, Wi-Fi issues, great customer service, June 13, 2014
I was lucky enough to win 2 of these TH9320WF5003 thermostats at a builders trade show. I installed them in my own home, which has a 2-zone forced air HVAC system, using standard 4-wire RYGW thermostat wiring. There was no 5th common wire available, so I used Honeywell's wire saver module THP9045A1023 as suggested in the installation instructions. Installation was very simple, although long-nose pliers are a must to insert the wires into the thermostat's mounting plate.

The thermostat does a great job controlling temperature to within a degree. There is a setting buried deep in the menus that allows you to increase the cycle time, which may save energy at the expense of wider temperature range.

I like that the display shows all relevant data in one screen and I find this much preferable to the way the Nest works.

The user interface on both the thermostat itself, and on Honeywell's web, iPhone and iPad apps, is intuitive and easy to use. However, I don't like that many of the options (such as vacation hold) can only be controlled by the thermostat, not the with the web or apps.

The outdoor temperature reading is useless. According to Honeywell's documentation, it is supposed to update once per hour using data from Accuweather. Once per hour is not often enough during the morning and evening when temperatures are changing rapidly. In practice, I find that the displayed outdoor temperature often lags the actual temperature by a few hours. I complained to Honeywell about this, and they said they are aware of the problem and are trying to solve it.

The Wi-Fi functionality seems to have some issues. One of my 2 thermostats stopped connecting to my router. I had to completely delete my Wi-Fi connection in the thermostat and re-enter it in order for the thermostat to reconnect. That problem only happened once, and did not reoccur. The Wi-Fi in the 2nd thermostat failed completely. It displayed the error message: "Thermostat's internal Wi-Fi is no longer working". The good news is that Honeywell's customer service is great! I called them and asked for a replacement. Even though my thermostat was a prize and I had no receipt, they replaced it for free. The replacement is working well so far.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2015 1:53 PM PDT

Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl for Dogs and Cats
Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl for Dogs and Cats

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Labs!, May 31, 2014
We got this bowl for our 2 Labrador Retrievers. We had previously tried the (more expensive) Road Refresher 54 oz. bowl, and while it did reduce slobbering, it was not by that much. This bowl almost completely eliminates it! Only our Lab's tongues can reach the water, their jowls stay dry. I believe this bowl will also work well for Golden Retrievers and other breeds that have similarly sized noses, but might not work as well for other breeds.

My experience was different from some of the other reviewer's:
1) After the dog laps up the water from the small inner bowl, it refills quickly.
2) The top lid fits very securely, but it is still easy to remove and replace.
3) The "advertising" stickers peel off cleanly and easily.
4) The bowl holds enough water for a full days drinking of two dogs. It holds much more water than the Road Refresher 54 oz.
5) It is easy to thoroughly rinse the bowl without taking off the top lid. Just remove the bottom plug, and let water run into the small inner bowl from the top.

The one negative comment I do agree with, and the reason I only gave this bowl 4 stars, is that the rubber fill plug on the bottom is a bit difficult to remove and replace. The good news is this means it will not accidentally fall out.

If you are tired of your dog drooling water over your floor after drinking, and your dog has an appropriately shaped nose, then I highly recommend this bowl for you!

Dremel EZ407SA EZ Drum Sanding Band and Mandrel
Dremel EZ407SA EZ Drum Sanding Band and Mandrel
Price: $6.75
26 used & new from $5.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, April 28, 2014
I use my Dremel for trimming my dog's nails. So far, I've changes sanding bands 6 times, and the mandrel seems to be very well made. I haven't had any of the reliability problems reported by others. It's great not having to find a screwdriver to change bands.

Dynamic Design MB2412WH Medallion Deluxe 24-Inch Poly Window Box with Saucer, White

3.0 out of 5 stars Too flimsy, March 28, 2014
The price is low, but you get what you pay for. It is very flimsy. I returned mine to Amazon and got one from Flower Window Boxes. It was more expensive, but well worth the extra price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2015 1:15 PM PST

Dremel 7700-1/15 MultiPro 7.2-Volt Cordless Rotary Tool Kit
Dremel 7700-1/15 MultiPro 7.2-Volt Cordless Rotary Tool Kit
Price: $37.97
45 used & new from $37.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for my Lab's toes, battery loose after a 5 months use, March 27, 2014
I got this model instead of the 7300-PT meant for dog grooming, because I wanted the extra power and longer battery life of the 7.2 Volts. It works great on my 2 Labs. It only took a day to get them desensitized to it; their main concern was fear of the whining noise. A few bribes of dog treats cured them of that. I find the Dremel much easier than clippers for trimming their thick nails.

Update August 20 2014
After 5 months of daily use, the battery clips no longer hold the battery firmly in place. I did a web search for this problem, and I see that many other users have the same issue. I emailed Dremel customer service complaining about the problem; I'll update the review when I get a reply. In the mean time, I lowered my rating from 5 stars to 3.

Update August 23 2014
Dremel replied to my email request for service. They were happy to correct my problem, but required me to ship the tool, battery, and charger to them at my expense. For a couple of dollars more, I just ordered a replacement battery from Amazon. The new battery arrived today and it fits perfectly. Problem solved. The new battery has a different lot number on it than the original, and its clips are much more substantial. I am keeping my review at 3 stars due to the premature failure of the original battery, and Dremel's policy of requiring the customer to pay shipping for warranty service.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9