Profile for 77Jim > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

77Jim RSS Feed (Philadelphia PA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Tales of the Rat Fink
Tales of the Rat Fink
DVD ~ John Goodman
Price: $14.39
30 used & new from $10.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Grating Hot Mess of a Doc, November 3, 2013
This review is from: Tales of the Rat Fink (DVD)
Sorry but this is a thin and completely scatter brained documentary. Sound effects, animations, voice overs and effects are obnoxiously loud at their best and seizure-inducing at their worst. Production-wise restraint was nowhere to be found here. WAY too much stuff flashing, screaming and blinking across the screen every second of footage (and no I'm not 70 yrs. old). Not a whole lot of information on Big Daddy Roth the man either. He is never really portrayed as a human being with any deep insights into what makes him tick, BUT there's "talking cars" with blinking headlights every 5 minutes. Big Daddy Roth was a talented individual with signs of raw genius; a true innovator. His artwork should be shared in a format better than this grating hot mess.

Rayovac Sportsman 300 Lumen 8D Twin Tube Fluorescent Lantern (SP8DTP4)
Rayovac Sportsman 300 Lumen 8D Twin Tube Fluorescent Lantern (SP8DTP4)
Price: $29.85
47 used & new from $11.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this POS lantern., June 27, 2013
Don't buy this lantern. It is not designed or made well. This product is a waste of money. The hand turning screw that secures the battery compartment on the bottom of the lantern is the worst design flaw and will frustrate you beyond belief. Try replacing batteries to see just how finicky the connection is. At best your hands and fingers will hurt. That hand screw requires the hand strength of a wrestler to tighten effectively. Getting lights to work after battery replacement requires patience of a saint.

I owned 2 of this lantern model at one point. During Hurricane Sandy one got wet and quickly died, leaking battery acid out the bottom in the process. The metal conductors inside battery compartment had gotten corroded and one snapped off completely, making lantern useless. The second lantern survived the hurricane and actually worked. Today I tried to turn it on to prep for a camping trip. (It wont work.) Replaced all the batteries. Top cylinder holding fluorescent bulbs will not close properly. The plastic threading is shot.

Way too many issues for a device that is supposed to "bring light". This product brings aggravation.

My Appetite for Destruction: Sex & Drugs & Guns N' Roses
My Appetite for Destruction: Sex & Drugs & Guns N' Roses
by Steven Adler
Price: $13.67
51 used & new from $6.91

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty damn heart breaking, February 23, 2012
I'm only about 50 pages into this book. There is one paragraph that seriously gave me the chills. In a few short sentences Steven shares something really sad, telling and dark. I think he is incredibly brave for sharing it. When Steven was young he followed some "20 year olds" back to an apartment in Hollywood to smoke some good pot. He basically writes 'these guys didn't beat me up, but they did everything else to me. Afterward all I wanted to do was get high.'-- My heart ached to read this.

When Steven writes things like "believe in your dream 100% with all of your heart and put emotion behind it. Keep telling yourself out loud you can have your dream. I always knew I'd be a rock star etc. etc." you really have to give him some credit. Steven's spirit has survived. He's here today with his printed words sharing that beautiful message. A weaker soul would have cracked.

While I do not agree with many of Steven's choices and actions, especially his behaviors towards women, I believe we shouldn't judge someone before walking in their shoes. Steven's shoes are a grueling mile uphill in the freezing rain.

The Magic Of Youth
The Magic Of Youth
Price: $11.88
18 used & new from $7.41

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite album of 2011, January 3, 2012
This review is from: The Magic Of Youth (Audio CD)
Fantastic album. This band always had class, but this one is really leaps and bounds beyond the expected. Buy it. It will make you feel happy. 9 dollars barely buys a heavy weighted salad in the cafeteria these days.

Wacom Inkling Digital Sketch Pen (MDP123)
Wacom Inkling Digital Sketch Pen (MDP123)
Offered by BLINQ
Price: $78.99
14 used & new from $43.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Not there yet. Disappointing product., November 26, 2011
I've spent about 5 hours using the Inkling. There are a lot of annoying qualities to it. I could forgive most of them if the actual vector translation was accurate in the end. It's not. It's not even close. I can't think of a practical use for the 'finished' files this pen creates. They don't look good. When the early reviews came in saying 'it might be useful for a story board artist' I now realize what those words were politely skirting... the quality isn't there yet. Sorry to bear the news.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2011 10:52 AM PST

The Pleiadian Agenda: A New Cosmology for the Age of Light
The Pleiadian Agenda: A New Cosmology for the Age of Light
by Barbara Hand Clow
Price: $12.50
203 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep looking (this one might not be necessary), May 29, 2009
Something about this book does not sit right with me. I can't even put it into words... it's a bit ridiculous and lacks sensitivity. Barbara Marciniak this is most definitely not. I'm sorry but there is more satisfying information out there. If you are pressed for time, I would skip this one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2012 7:55 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating assault on the senses, March 24, 2009
Human senses are targeted here... we are forced to create the horrible sound that car must have made in the precious safe harbor of our own little heads and then we must deal with it. Details are stacked up aggressively like poker chips. We keep reading or "rubbernecking". The author creates a frantic need to pursue more. None of the characters are really all that likable yet. They take us to unpleasant places quickly and once again...

We are forced to feel.

Are You Normal
Are You Normal
114 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-issue PLEASE, July 15, 2008
This review is from: Are You Normal (Audio CD)
God is this CRIMINALLY under-appreciated... I can not believe there has not been a remastering/packaging job yet. It is "feel-good music" at its best; much better than the campy Lemonheads and dour Nirvana records that blocked the view of this gem back in the day.

So... Do we need to get a pettition going for this to be re-issued? Sony, wake up and remaster this. It will cost you nothing compared to the garbage you waste money on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 1:18 PM PDT

My Kid Could Paint That
My Kid Could Paint That
DVD ~ Marla Olmstead
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $13.53
40 used & new from $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Truth-seekers and kind souls will find this profound, April 21, 2008
This review is from: My Kid Could Paint That (DVD)
This is a top tier, thouroughly engaging and thought provoking documentary. It macroscopicly presents a deceptively complex story with ample footage, competent perspectives and brave attempts at finding answers. The flexibility and perservearance of this project is commendable. This could not have been an easy one.

A young and naive film maker followed natural curiosity into what appeared to be the "Holy Grail" of the Human Interest story... He finds an innocent 4 year old girl tacked down as bait to the lid of Pandora's box. I am reminded of some old sayings about "evil", how it never appears in the gruesome monster skin we are inclined to invision... Intelligent people I have met in my life have told me that "children often speak the truth". Our human instincts love to trust books by their covers and this is what evil preys on. In the end, I found this story compellingly interesting and incredibly sad. I feel the most sadness for the younger brother, Zane. Watching his footage the second time through is very very sad. Those kids did not deserve this.

The Psychology of Baseball: Inside the Mental Game of the Major League Player
The Psychology of Baseball: Inside the Mental Game of the Major League Player
by Michael A. Stadler
47 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good Psychology Textbook, July 19, 2007
The research and information present in this book is top notch. This author knows his stuff inside out.

On the flipside it's delivery "paints the corners" of becomming a bone dry Psychology textbook. Young readers curious for a mild read may lose their grip on this one. I found myself skipping pages upon pages of statistical analysis.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7