Profile for Todd Hawley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 334

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Todd Hawley RSS Feed (San Francisco CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cybersecurity and Cyberwar: What Everyone Needs to Know®
Cybersecurity and Cyberwar: What Everyone Needs to Know®
by P. W. Singer
Price: $11.74
81 used & new from $9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about Cybersecurity, April 15, 2014
The authors clearly know a lot about this topic and they present it in a way that's easily understandable for most people. I got the feeling reading this, they hoped some less technical folk (like upper management) would take the time to read this. They make the point periodically about how companies fail to see the importance of cybersecurity and even users will forget to update their software or change passwords periodically. If everyone did these things, the authors claim 85% of security problems would be solved. That sounds far-fetched until you read about people who use 'password' or '123456' as their password or the apparent ignorance of cybersecurity issues at some businesses. Some of the advice given makes perfect sense to me but I'm pretty aware of security risks. Many people aren't and they above all others should read this book. Kudos to the authors for a well-written and informative book.

Celtic Lore & Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess: Invoking the Morrigan
Celtic Lore & Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess: Invoking the Morrigan
by Stephanie Woodfield
Price: $13.82
78 used & new from $9.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex Look at a Complex Goddess, March 18, 2014
This is one of the very few books I've seen that truly describes who the Morrigan is. This is not an easy task because the Morrigan is not a goddess that can be easily described or labeled. She takes on many different forms and aspects and Ms Woodfield has done an excellent job in describing them. Most myths involving the Morrigan portray her as a fearsome goddess, which she can be but there's so much more to her. As the book points out when Christians were attempting to convert Pagans, many myths about her other aspects were permanently lost. So she has always had a rep of being a goddess to avoid. My own experiences with her have told me otherwise. She may force you to do things you need to do to bring positive change to your life, but you'll be the better for them. Ms Woodfield portrays the Morrigan as a strong goddess, a nurturing goddess, and at times one you do not want to mess with. Works for me. Kudos to Ms Woodfield for writing an excellent book.

A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
by Steven Kotler
Price: $10.77
79 used & new from $1.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, February 27, 2014
This book is at times funny, sad, philosophical, and scientific. as other reviewers have mentioned it tells the story of a journalist who gets involved in dog rescue because his girlfriend is very involved in it. I consider anyone who runs an animal sanctuary an unsung hero. They provide a roof for unloved animals, be them cats or dogs or anything else. As a dog owner myself, reading this book at times was hard, given the sad stories in the book. All of the dogs they take in seem unadoptable for some reason or another. And they all somehow manage to get along. Maybe it's because they were given a second chance and are grateful? Who really knows? And the author grieves for the ones that die, although I'd point out all of these dogs died knowing they were loved. Unlike the ones that get put down because there isn't any room for them. No wonder veterinarians have a higher than average suicide rate.

At times I did notice the philisophical and "scientific" writings got a bit boring for me but they usually got offset by a story about a new arrival at the dog sanctuary or a dog suddenly showing affection toward others when it seemed they were unapproachable. The dog on the cover looks like a dog my wife & I used to have, one that I became very attached to, which was one reason I think that my wife got it for me as a gift this past Christmas. She's now reading it. Anyone who owns dogs will relate to the stories told in this book and hopefully will enjoy them all as much as I did.

Netgear N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router (DGN2200)
Netgear N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router (DGN2200)
Offered by Quantum Wireless
Price: $89.99
103 used & new from $23.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Just plain bad, November 19, 2012
I purchased this router to replace one I had that was slowly giving up the ghost. I followed the setup instructions and had DSL working immediately. Wireless was another story. I could not get my desktop machine to connect to the wireless network, no matter what I tried. I called technical support four times to try to fix the issue. Each time I wound up talking to people in India whose accents were so thick (and the phone connection so bad) It was virtually impossible to understand them. Every time I called I also got transferred several times. I also had one tech support person promise to call me back and of course never did. None of the people I talked with could fix the problem, one even told me it was my computer. I have a feeling from reading a couple other reviews that their support people tell callers this just to get rid of them.

I'm going to have to get another router so I can get back on wireless. It certainly won't be a Netgear router.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2012 2:12 PM PST

A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC, 7th Edition
A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC, 7th Edition
by Jean Andrews
Price: $113.53
260 used & new from $0.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 24, 2012
Not only is this book a great tool to use in preparation for the A+ exam, but it is also one of the most comprehensive books I've ever read about PC's. Every hardware component of a PC system is described in great detail, along with countless pictures and diagrams which help to explain specific items. All Windows OS currently available at the time the book went to press are also explained in great detail. I had to get this for a couple of classes I was taking and I'm glad I had to. It's a book I'll always be able to refer to when I run into problems with my home machines.

Flip Flop Fly Ball: An Infographic Baseball Adventure
Flip Flop Fly Ball: An Infographic Baseball Adventure
by Craig Robinson
Price: $17.73
61 used & new from $2.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, July 24, 2012
This book combines baseball stats and graphics in a very entertaining way. Some of the stats range from rather arcane (like what the #1 hit was when Nolan Ryan pitched his 1st and then last game) or of interest to some (histories of every Pacific Coast League team) or items that are just fun to know (the Florida Marlins' players who missed out on both World Series titles). In between there are numerous graphics, some humorous short essays and just an overall good time. If you're a stathead like me, you'll enjoy the heck out of this book.

Hacking Exposed Computer Forensics, Second Edition: Computer Forensics Secrets & Solutions
by Chris Davis
Price: $32.71
59 used & new from $8.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introductory book, March 14, 2012
I came across this book when I was reading Hacking Exposed Network Security & Secrets. Since I enjoyed that book, I felt I'd enjoy this one as well. I was not disappointed. It introduces the reader to the world of computer forensics, along with a lot of tips and suggestions about the field, as well as what to watch out for. I feel the authors do an excellent job of discussing the world of forensics. Yes it does feature EnCase examples prominently. It also features screen shots of many other forensics programs like FTK, Paraben and open source ones.

I also liked the authors' occasional humor helpful when trying to explain certain points such as the popularity of cell phones (and using them in a forensics investigation) or how a suspect is almost certain to repeat the same bad behavior over and over when given the chance. Since this is an introductory level book, it touches on a lot of subjects but only at a general level. This is not an issue, there are numerous volumes of forensic books available that address specific topics in much greater detail that this book may not. I plan on reading them next.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about computer forensics.

Handbook of Technical Writing, Tenth Edition
Handbook of Technical Writing, Tenth Edition
by Gerald J. Alred
Price: $32.58
112 used & new from $20.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing writing resource, March 9, 2012
I've enjoyed having this book around since I first encountered it almost three decades ago now. It really is
the technical writer's "Swiss army knife" because of everything that the book talks about. Countless writing-related topics are discussed, some in great detail and as always in alphabetical order. Among the topics discussed are grammatical and punctuation issues, writing style tips, definitions of some terms, along with similar sounding words, as well as topics related to tech writing like grant writing, white papers, proposals and other types of formal reports. As with previous editions, there are sections on writing a cover letter, resume and how to handle yourself on a job interview and/or conducting a presentation or meeting.

I liked the book's "web links," which are URLs describing helpful web sites related to the just described topic that are in small boxes. Another feature I liked were the "Writer's Checklists" also listed after various topics. These checklists call attention to important points not covered previously. Some important topics contain their own small 'Table of Contents,' which let you refer to a specific mini-topic.

A short review like this does not do justice to this book. Suffice to say if you're a technical writer at any level you should have this book on your bookshelf.

Microsoft Manual of Style (4th Edition)
Microsoft Manual of Style (4th Edition)
by Microsoft Corporation
Price: $22.22
69 used & new from $10.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Update, February 15, 2012
What I noticed the first time I opened this book was (as others have mentioned) the amount of extra white space and font changes, which make this book much more pleasureable to read and to refer to. Clear and concise language, along with excellent figures, diagrams and readable tables throughout the book also help. Microsoft has done a great job in updating a classic book of theirs. Their Usage Dictionary reflects the changes seen in the computer industry over the last several years.

The book's first chapter describes in detail Microsoft's distinctive style and voice. Many subsequent chapters show examples of how something is done Microsoft style as opposed to non-Microsoft style. This really helps the reader to understand the "how's and why's" of Microsoft writing style.

The Content for the Web and Content for a World Wide Audience have been expanded to reflect the changes in those areas. Among other topics given their own chapters are User Interface, Procedures and tech content, style issues and of course grammar and punctuation. While the last two seem to be basics we should have learned in grade school, it's good to have a reminder of just how important those two areas are.

I know I'll be using this book whenever I have a question about a style issue.

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Step by Step
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Step by Step
by Joan Lambert
Price: $23.24
97 used & new from $0.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice resource to have, February 10, 2012
I like others had trouble downloading the source files. Hopefully this is an issue that Microsoft will resolve for the next edition of this book. Overall I found this book to be quite good in explaining how to use various Office programs. I also am not new to Office but felt I needed a refresher with certain things, like PowerPoint and OneNote and wanted to become more of a power user with Word.

The instructions and associated figures and diagrams I found to be helpful in explaining various concepts and teaching me how to use the various "ribbon" menus in all of the various Office programs. This book explains in detail changes and new features in Office 2010.

Aside from the issue mentioned above, I found this to be a book well worth having and one I can refer to when I have trouble figuring out how to do various things in Office.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20